PSAatSAN4Ever
Topic Author

Incorrect Information From Ground Personnel - Just Wrong? Or Great Motivator?

Tue May 28, 2019 7:23 pm

So, this is based on my experience at Midway airport on the evening of Monday, May 27, 2019:

Having spent the day at the top of the Hancock Center in Chicago, enjoying the view of the storm that blew threw the region from above (REALLY cool!!), we were a bit apprehensive about our chances for an on-time departure to return to San Diego. However, all signs at the airport pointed to it still being on time.

In comparison to other flights that day, it was - we were only slightly delayed. Those poor families delayed going to Orlando? 4+ hours, now scheduled to arrive well after midnight. Yikes!

So, it's time to line up - and a ground personnel gets on the pubic address system, and makes this announcement:

"Okay, ladies and gentlemen, those of you going to San Diego, listen up: Your airport has a VERY strict curfew, and it's going to be tight - we need you to get on this plane as quickly as you can or we're going to have to cancel the flight, because if we can't arrive on time, we can't land!"

Huh? There's no landing curfew at SAN!

Of course, i didn't say anything, because it worked as a GREAT motivator - the incoming flight from STL was cleared out, and almost immediately we boarded. One slowdown for an elderly couple pre-boarding, but in fact I have never seen a plane loaded so fast in my life! And it was full! This should happen to everyone, everytime.

So, the question: what do we think? Was this person making the announcement deliberately manipulating the truth to get everyone on and departed as soon as possible? Or was he simply confusing SAN with SNA?

Whichever it was, it worked.

UALFAson

Re: Incorrect Information From Ground Personnel - Just Wrong? Or Great Motivator?

Tue May 28, 2019 10:16 pm

Maybe they got SAN and SNA confused. Maybe they thought a curfew on takeoffs equaled a curfew on landings. I think there was a point a couple of years ago when nighttime landings were suspended at SAN due to runway work--maybe they didn't get the memo that the work was over?

Whatever the reason, I don't think they would deliberately lie--too much of a risk of someone publically calling them out. They were likely just hustling and confused and said what they said in a good faith effort to get the plane out as close to on-time as possible.

Or maybe they did blatantly lie. Who knows? What does it matter? It worked.
"We hope you've enjoyed flying with us as much as we've enjoyed taking you for a ride."

T18

Re: Incorrect Information From Ground Personnel - Just Wrong? Or Great Motivator?

Wed May 29, 2019 4:20 pm

Its also possible they had confusion between a curfew in the gate and a crew FDP in the gate time.
“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.” ― Steve McQueen (Le Mans) 1971

PSAatSAN4Ever
Topic Author

Wed May 29, 2019 8:56 pm

T18 wrote:
Its also possible they had confusion between a curfew in the gate and a crew FDP in the gate time.

That could be...

Interestingly, though, Southwest doesn't fly MDW-SNA.