Skyguy
Topic Author

Printed Airline Timetables

Wed May 29, 2019 11:21 pm

25 years ago most airlines printed and published their own systemwide timetables and schedules for use by customers. Often this contained a lot more information than just flight schedules, there was marketing information and ads in there announcing new routes or new features etc. However, with the advent of the online age and closure of most airlines offices, I do not recall having seen an airline timetable for a long time. Are there any airlines that still print and publish timetables, and if so, who?
"Those who talk, do not know, and those who know, do not talk."

zkeoj

Re: Printed Airline Timetables

Wed May 29, 2019 11:33 pm

A number of small airlines do that, but not sure if any of the big ones do. I loved them, and still have some old ones :-)

SpaceshipDC10

Wed May 29, 2019 11:38 pm

Skyguy wrote:
Often this contained a lot more information than just flight schedules, there was marketing information and ads in there announcing new routes or new features etc.

Indeed, I remember the monthly cover ad for Comfort Class: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLPE64XYk1w

paperwastage

Wed May 29, 2019 11:48 pm

paperwastage

Wed May 29, 2019 11:50 pm

another one:

(skyteam schedules Q1 2019): https://services.skyteam.com/Timetable/ ... _NA_EU.pdf

jaybird

Thu May 30, 2019 12:01 am

For awhile you could get PDF schedules online too - most of those are long gone. It's fun to look at the old OAG/ABC timetable editions to relive those days .. :-)

ctrabs0114

Thu May 30, 2019 12:26 am

zkeoj wrote:
A number of small airlines do that, but not sure if any of the big ones do. I loved them, and still have some old ones :-)

DL is the only one of the legacy US3 carriers that still posts a PDF timetable:

https://www.delta.com/content/dam/delta ... edules.pdf

For those not familiar, here's a website which features timetables from the past:

http://www.airtimes.com/
2019: DAL, MCI, PHX, LAS, DFW, SAT, ORD, SLC, SEA, DTW, PHL, MIA, LAX; B73G (WN x3), B738 (WN, AA, DL), A20N (NK), MD83 (AA), B788 (AA x2), CS1 (DL), B739 (DL), B712 (DL), B752 (AA), B763 (AA), B77W (AA), B789 (AA)
Next: TBA

xwb777

Thu May 30, 2019 12:26 am

Here is Emirates PDF timetable for the period from 29OCT17 to 24MAR18
https://cdn.ek.aero/downloads/ek/pdfs/t ... r-2018.pdf

That's the latest timetable I could fine.

klm617

Thu May 30, 2019 12:53 am

Spirit still posts a PDF timetable on their website.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

Dominion301

Thu May 30, 2019 1:53 am

jaybird wrote:
For awhile you could get PDF schedules online too - most of those are long gone. It's fun to look at the old OAG/ABC timetable editions to relive those days .. :-)

AC still produce a PDF timetable. I wish WestJet would do the same.

paperwastage

Thu May 30, 2019 2:48 am

Dominion301 wrote:
jaybird wrote:

https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/book-trip ... ghts/index

Westjet has the data embedded in the html code - you can probably write a script to scrape and generate the PDF

<div data-region="canada"
data-origin="CUN"
data-destination="YYC"
class="tile-ppgrid tile-discount-codes tile-direct-flight col-xs-6 col-md-3 col-sm-3 col-lg-2">
<a title="Calgary, AB"
href="/en-ca/lowfaresandmore/flights/low-fares/from-cancun-to-calgary">
<div class="offer-details">
<div class="destination">
<h3 class="destination-name">Calgary, AB</h3>
<h3 class="summary">Now - Jun 2, 2019</h3>
<div class="custom-text">5 times weekly</div>
<ul class="deal-tags">
<li class="hidden"></li>
<li>Not on Tuesday Sunday </li>
</ul>
</div>
</div>
</a>
</div>

polaris

Thu May 30, 2019 3:22 am

Dominion301 wrote:
jaybird wrote:

I wish WestJet would do the same, too. AC updates their PDF timetables every Tuesday. I have a wide collection of paper timetables and continue to download/view PDF versions when available. They provide a nice overall picture of an airline, especially when they include full route maps and fleet. AC's PDF continues to be one of the best with as much info as the previous paper versions. LH also provides a good PDF version.

Unfortunately for AC, their PDF timetables for the last ten weeks or so have been incorrect. Many of their int'l flights are listed incorrectly. I've contacted AC through various methods but old and new errors still show up with every Tuesday update. It almost seems like someone is trying to sabotage the airline from the inside.

intelijet

Thu May 30, 2019 3:25 am

On January I went to Japan and was surprised to find a printed timetable from JL, it was on an information desk at CTS airport.

Wouln't expect any airline to do that anymore, and even less that it would be in a country known for its technology advencements.

seat1a

Thu May 30, 2019 3:29 am

Alaska has a good one, but currently down according to their website. I believe ANA and Japan Airlines print timetables in excrutiatingly wonderful detail.

As for older timetables (I've got an amazing collection of those of Braniff form the 1960s and 1970s), ebay has an enormous amount of current and past printed timetables. One trader friend of mine said that timetables form the past were the websites of today. Several of the Braniff schedules I have are near new, and that's because they used high quality paper, high quality ink and construction. And the ads are amazing (the Pucci helmet ads!).

One of the industry's lost art forms.

Boof

Thu May 30, 2019 3:34 am

I still have some Qantas and Ansett printed timetables from the late 90’s through to about the time Ansett went under.

QF announced a while ago they were no longer doing the pdf timetable yet a google search will pull this link http://www.qantas.com.au/flightinfo/qf_pdfTimetable.pdf

It gives a pdf that is as up to date as having the QF9/10 PER-LHR-PER non stop services. I don’t know if or when it is no longer being updated but has been as recently as March 2018 if not more recently.
Bring back Virgin Blue!

hiflyeras

Thu May 30, 2019 3:40 am

Great memories of walking down the line at the airport ticket counters, picking up a timetable for each airline. Sometimes they weren't on display towards the end and you had to ask an agent for one. I guess I had caught the airline bug...after college I started my job as cabin crew and here we are 38 years later.

SANFan

Thu May 30, 2019 3:46 am

Alaska had online .pdf skeds up until Feb 2019, when they disappeared. They were printed by some outside company and were full of mistakes, including flights that were omitted, and they were very cumbersome to use. I would have complained about how bad they were but I was afraid they'd stop issuing them... I do manage to hang onto a thread of hope that they might even return!

I have several big boxes of printed timetables that date back to the 1960s, including almost all of WN's paper flight skeds from the '70s until they stopped printing them. They are all some of my prized possessions. I also have a couple of the big blue International versions of the printed OAGs that contained nothing but timetables from most of the world's cx. I sure wish I'd hung onto more of those!

I do miss them but these days it would be almost impossible to create such a thing with schedules being different on different days of the week, different weeks of the month, and different months of the year. Plus, skeds are now changed so close in that to print something would be completely out of date immediately.

bb

seat1a

Thu May 30, 2019 4:03 am

hiflyeras wrote:
Great memories of walking down the line at the airport ticket counters, picking up a timetable for each airline. Sometimes they weren't on display towards the end and you had to ask an agent for one. I guess I had caught the airline bug...after college I started my job as cabin crew and here we are 38 years later.

THIS!

mga707

Thu May 30, 2019 4:57 am

SANFan wrote:
I have several big boxes of printed timetables that date back to the 1960s, including almost all of WN's paper flight skeds from the '70s until they stopped printing them. They are all some of my prized possessions. I also have a couple of the big blue International versions of the printed OAGs that contained nothing but timetables from most of the world's cx. I sure wish I'd hung onto more of those!
bb

Next month marks 10 years since Southwest's last printed timetable. The were the last of the major US carriers to print them.

jsnww81

Thu May 30, 2019 5:31 am

I believe the only airlines still printing paper timetables are the Japanese (where everyone - JAL, ANA, and all the smaller airlines - still publish) and then many of the Taiwanese airlines (China Airlines, EVA, and friends.) Here and there you can still find market-specific timetables in Asia as well; I found a full-system Vietnam Airlines timetable in Japan two years ago, printed all in Japanese - but with airport codes, so it was still readable.

Emirates was printing timetables - really good ones, too - until about a year and a half ago when they finally stopped.

Most US carriers stopped publishing during the 2002-04 period. Southwest kept going until 2009; their booklets were getting fatter and fatter.

The European airlines all stopped publishing during the 2008-09 period as they looked to cut costs after the global economic crisis.

SANFan wrote:
I do miss them but these days it would be almost impossible to create such a thing with schedules being different on different days of the week, different weeks of the month, and different months of the year. Plus, skeds are now changed so close in that to print something would be completely out of date immediately.

Yup, by the end schedule irregularity was already starting to make timetables unreadable. I have several American Express Skyguides from 2013-14, which published schedules for all major US carriers. United and Delta had moved to dynamic scheduling and the entries were blindingly complex.

usxguy

Thu May 30, 2019 6:39 am

Air Canada prints one in their Navi magazine
xx

canmau

Thu May 30, 2019 6:42 am

paperwastage wrote:
another one:

(skyteam schedules Q1 2019): https://services.skyteam.com/Timetable/ ... _NA_EU.pdf

Does Star Alliance have an equivalent of this as well?

GOOYfriction36

Thu May 30, 2019 7:18 am

Lufthansa still provides pdf-based timetables:
http://dl-oim.de/download/LH_Timetable_en.pdf

GOOYfriction36

Thu May 30, 2019 7:39 am

canmau wrote:
paperwastage wrote:
another one:

Does Star Alliance have an equivalent of this as well?

As far as I remember STAR ALLIANCE discontinued publication of .pdf timetables in August 2013 already.

longhauler

Thu May 30, 2019 12:48 pm

seat1a wrote:
hiflyeras wrote:

THIS!

I think we all started the same way!

I used to pedal my bike to T1 in YYZ every few months to do just that. I still have those timetables today!
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

Dominion301

Thu May 30, 2019 1:11 pm

polaris wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:
jaybird wrote:

I wish WestJet would do the same, too. AC updates their PDF timetables every Tuesday. I have a wide collection of paper timetables and continue to download/view PDF versions when available. They provide a nice overall picture of an airline, especially when they include full route maps and fleet. AC's PDF continues to be one of the best with as much info as the previous paper versions. LH also provides a good PDF version.

Unfortunately for AC, their PDF timetables for the last ten weeks or so have been incorrect. Many of their int'l flights are listed incorrectly. I've contacted AC through various methods but old and new errors still show up with every Tuesday update. It almost seems like someone is trying to sabotage the airline from the inside.

Yeah I noticed that too. Virtually all Rapidair flights are scheduled to end on or around June 15th...lol!

longhauler wrote:
seat1a wrote:
hiflyeras wrote:

THIS!

I used to pedal my bike to T1 in YYZ every few months to do just that. I still have those timetables today!

I used to eagerly await the publishing of (especially) AC's & CP's fall and spring timetables. I'd literally read/memorize the things from cover-to-cover over and over again. I still have 2 full bins of them.

seat1a

Thu May 30, 2019 2:08 pm

longhauler wrote:
seat1a wrote:
hiflyeras wrote:

THIS!

Detroit Metro airport in the early 1970s was super easy, especially the South Terminal (was it Smith?). Start at one end and in a few minutes, done! United, TA, Northwest Orient, Braniff, Delta, Eastern. (Braniff had the most modern and cool counter there, albeit small).

I'm starting to obsess over Air France timetables from the early 1960s (1963). The detail and maps are superb. Especially for the $30 I just paid for one.

FCOTSTW

Thu May 30, 2019 4:02 pm

LH still regularly publishes its pdf timetable. You can download it from the website.

polaris

Thu May 30, 2019 8:12 pm

usxguy wrote:
Air Canada prints one in their Navi magazine

Air Canada's Navi magazine includes an ideal quick-reference timetable along with route maps and detailed fleet info. It's issued four times per year; an excellent enthusiast collector's item. I believe it's only available in Maple Leaf lounges and in Signature class.

bluestreak

Thu May 30, 2019 9:12 pm

My Uncle flew for Eastern. When I was a child in the late 70's, he would always bring me a current timetable once he discovered I was interested in airliners. I guess I can blame him for the flying bug I caught. What I regret is that once he brought me a new timetable, I would throw the old one away!

I still have quite a few from the mid-late 80's, and of course the last one before the shutdown in 1991.

I always loved walking along the check in counters at ATL and pick up the latest timetables from the airlines. The foreign carriers were my favorite to collect, simply because they flew to many exotic (to me) locations.

I remember Delta, and Eastern would sometimes have timetables on board the aircraft (along with magazines, and newspapers) back in the 80's. I also have a big fold out route map from Delta in the pre Western merger days (1985-86) that I picked up on a flight. You don't see things like that anymore.
"Well, we barely made the airport, for the last plane out, as we taxied down the runway, I could hear the people shout"

Max Q

Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:21 am

I used to carry a paper OAG years ago

Probably electronic now
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

Guns are a malignant cancer that are destroying our society

lesfalls

Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:43 pm

Not an airline but HAM Airport does. They print them on a 2-3 season basis. You can find them at the info desk or below the departure boards. Thats the closest I think it gets to an aviation company still printing timetables in today's day and age of technology.

https://www.hamburg-airport.de/media/20 ... al_web.pdf
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen mehr.

OA260

Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:22 pm

hiflyeras wrote:
Great memories of walking down the line at the airport ticket counters, picking up a timetable for each airline. Sometimes they weren't on display towards the end and you had to ask an agent for one.

I did the same twice a year when they were printed I used to take a day and head to LHR and collect them all. Also I used to go into the central London offices and used to come back with bags of stuff including posters,stickers and brochures. Sadly a lot of that has gone now.

alan3

Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:13 pm

I collected them as a kid. Still have several dozen of them, ranging from the early 80's to early 90's. Can't bear the thought of tossing them, not sure what to do with them!