Aurantiaco
Topic Author

Your experience on now defunct carriers

Fri May 31, 2019 1:22 am

What were some of your experiences on defunct airlines? What are your opinions on the ones you’ve flown, and if people look at it through rose colored glasses too much.
I flew on Continental when I was far too young to remember. When I asked my mother about what it was like, she told me it was “average,” and like the legacy carriers at the time. Oddly enough, my grandfather flew Braniff, and he said that was average, too. Doesn’t look like that in the photos.

paullam

Re: Your experience on now defunct carriers

Fri May 31, 2019 7:33 am

Living in Berlin I flew Air Berlin rather often. It was always exciting what the flight will be like because they kept changing their concept all the time. It was hard to keep up so you never knew what kind of service to expect.
While they changed their livery from the old one to the hybrid one and later to the new one they had quite a mixed fleet at one point so there were like 4 or so different liveries your plane could possibly have.
Then they had some airlines like Germania or Tuifly operating flights for them so you could even end up on a different airline’s plane.
Interesting times indeed... Always loved the chocolate heart though which they gave you at the end of each flight.
712 733 734 735 737 738 739 744 752 763 77E 77L 77W 788 789 | A20N 318 319 320 321 332 333 343 346 388 | ASK21 | AT75 AT76 | BCS3 | C152 C172 C182 C210 | CR2 CR7 | DH8C DH8D | E190 | F70 F100 | LJ24 | PA31 | RJ85 RJ1H | SF34 | SU9 | YK2

SCQ83

Fri May 31, 2019 8:16 am

paullam wrote:
Living in Berlin I flew Air Berlin rather often. It was always exciting what the flight will be like because they kept changing their concept all the time. It was hard to keep up so you never knew what kind of service to expect.

I flew Air Berlin on August 15, 2017 which is the day the airline went bankrupt (although they kept operating for a few weeks, but at that time it was not clear). You can see the date:

https://www.ft.com/content/83165178-81b ... b903247afd

I was flying Italy-Germany. While at the airport in Italy I was showing the girls in the check-in counter the "Breaking News" (it just went in the news in the afternoon, when my flight was to depart) in my phone about AB going belly-up and they were like "Oh really? Are you serious?" and while asking them if that plane was flying back to Germany to what they had "no idea". They were not AB employees (a small AB station where they outsourced everything) so they didn't seem particularly concerned.

But you could see the FAs in the plane were not in their happiest mood that day.

OlafW

Fri May 31, 2019 8:28 am

Quite a number of airlines I flew on don't exist anymore. Let's see what I can remember:
Air Berlin: I never really liked them, although they weren't bad as such. the chocolate heart was a nice touch, but also the most memorable for me
Malév: Good on-time performance, cooked breakfast for a 0730am departure didn't really hit my spot, nice thickly padded seats on the F70 and 736
PLUNA: a pretty low-cost experience with decent legroom. Two things were memorable: Quite low duty-free prices on alcohol (compared to Europe 30-50% off), and baggage fees when ticketing with them directly, but no baggage fees when booking the same flight as a codeshare...
US Airways: was able to book 13 flights on one ticket, which somehow got messed up during travel, but staff always helped to make it work. Didn't like that no food or drinks were offered on CLT-SFO, which was unusual back then. Some strange tidbits come to mind like, they heated the complete tray for food, including the butter; overhead CRT monitors in 2010, and blankets thin enough to see through even when you used two of them...
Blue1: a nice choice of aircraft, except for the ex-Cityjet RJ85s, and one of the better Finnish beers on board (Sandel's). Too bad they always had rush hour departures from ZRH, thus getting delayed often.
Monarch: not much to expect from a spade-and-bucket carrier, but they delivered exactly that. Just very uncomfortable seats.
OLT: only flew them for the Fairchild Metro, which is an experience of its own. Great staff and the only time I experienced a self-service meal on board.
Santa Barbara Airlines: very tight legroom, luckily the couple in the bulkhead row got an in-flight upgrade. Decent food, but didn't clear the trays forever, which wasn't so nice on a TATL flight.
SkyWork: great food and service, also helped that they used small BRN airport. Too bad they couldn't make it between thin routes and constant change of aircraft types.
Spanair: Just a short hop from BCN to MAD, bad legroom and of course no service
United Airways (The Bangladeshi airline): the only time I considered getting off during a stopover. an Exit door handle was missing and three wires came up from the floor (two or four wouldn't have been much concern, the could belong together - but three?) Abysmal legroom, which luckily the crew understood and gave me an exit row. Food wasn't too bad and plenty
BMI/BMIregional: Nice staff, somehow never seemed to be sure if they want to be LCC or full service carrier.
Golden Air: liked the Saab 2000, apart from that no memory
Nextjet: flew them only for the BAe ATP. Very nice staff made up for the delays, got recommendations for food and was invited to the cockpit when they found out I was only there for the plane
Intersky: Nice staff, but was disappointed by their steep BOB prices. At least thew flew into THF :)

BritAir/Régional/Airlinair I don't count, they were just Air France in different disguise to me, same for Contact Air/Augsburg Airways and Lufthansa
LTU and Futura I flew, but can't remember much, was too young to pay attention

TheEuphorian

Fri May 31, 2019 9:43 am

I don't fly often, but I have one: I flew on Valuair before they rebranded to Jetstar Asia around 10 years ago.

filipinoavgeek

Fri May 31, 2019 11:02 am

I've flown on three airlines that no longer exist: Northwest (merged with Delta), Air Philippines (now PAL Express, which is basically PR with a lower cost base) and Zest Air (which merged with the original AirAsia Philippines and became Philippines AirAsia).

With Northwest, I remember it as being the first (and only) time I flew on a Douglas plane, when I flew DTW-BOS on a DC-9. I was around 8 at the time and we had to request that we move our seats since I didn't want to be in a place where I could hear that loud engine. I also remember reading the magazine then and Danica Patrick was on the cover (it was April 2005). For Air Philippines, I don't remember much other than them serving orange juice in a cup with a lid, and that they used 737-200s. My one flight with Zest Air was mostly uneventful.

Gr8Circle

Fri May 31, 2019 12:15 pm

Will miss the service on Jet Airways (9W)…..they had a few faults here and there but were overall very good while they lasted :(

FlightDT

Fri May 31, 2019 12:22 pm

Flew Privatair last summer while they were operating flights for BA; my first time on a BBJ and it had Lufthansa's long-haul interior, an interesting niche experience but service-wise was a standard BA flight. They became insolvent last year in December.
Aircraft: A319, A320, A20N, A321, A332, A333, A343, A388, B734, B735, B736, B737, B738, B739, B744, B763, B77E, B77W, B789, E145
Airlines: AY, AZ, BA, BD, CA, CX, DY, EK, EW, FR, GK, KL, LH, LS, NH, OZ, SK, UA, UO, U2, VS, ZT, 0B

res77W

Fri May 31, 2019 2:23 pm

I had a flight to remember on TWA, three MD-80s and a 727. One of the flights we sat next to the MD's engine.

I flew Continental a lot growing up, having family in Houston. I remember when the flights were all 737s and then the Embraers came in. Worst downgrade in my opinion.

Northwest was my first time in domestic first, to Las Vegas with my dad in 2007. Full meal service and everything, we almost got snowed in at MSP.

-Rowen

sw733

Fri May 31, 2019 3:01 pm

Being African, and having traveled extensively in Africa, I have been on a few of them. A domestic DR Congo flight on Hewa Bora was by far the most frightening aviation experience of my life.

Aurantiaco
Topic Author

Fri May 31, 2019 3:32 pm

res77W wrote:
I had a flight to remember on TWA, three MD-80s and a 727. One of the flights we sat next to the MD's engine.

A flight to remember? Does it mean that it was good?

res77W

Fri May 31, 2019 3:59 pm

Aurantiaco wrote:
res77W wrote:

Not at all. Bumpy ride, young kids kicking the seats behind me, super loud JT8D's. But I generally like the MD-80 so I don't want to say too much bad about it.

-Rowen

Aurantiaco
Topic Author

Fri May 31, 2019 4:03 pm

res77W wrote:
Aurantiaco wrote:
res77W wrote:

Not at all. Bumpy ride, young kids kicking the seats behind me, super loud JT8D's. But I generally like the MD-80 so I don't want to say too much bad about it.

-Rowen

Oh. Harsh.

PatrickZ80

Fri May 31, 2019 4:25 pm

The only now defunct airline I've ever flown would be Air Holland, flew them when I was about 10 years old or something like that. I remember it was on the 757 which was a brand new aircraft at the time.

Of course this was the late 80's or early 90's, so a whole different era when it came to aviation. We were going on holiday to Portugal, a flight of only a few hours. Yet the service level was out of this world, I doubt any airline nowadays could match it. Even for such a short flight they did everything to make you feel comfortable. There was a meal included with the flight and I remember me and my sister got a color plate and pencils which was part of their "children package". I remember there was an old-fashioned TV screen hanging above the exit row which showed a movie, but don't ask me which movie it was. I don't remember. When we were descending they were handing out candy.

On the return flight from Faro back to Amsterdam I was invited to see the cockpit. I guess that was when I became an aviation enthusiast. At the time I didn't know what all the cockpit gauges were for, but I did enjoy the view out of the cockpit windows which was breathtaking.

The flight must have cost my parents a fortune, but since it was part of a package holiday we never saw the price of the flight itself. Flying sure was expensive in those days.

A few years later Air Holland went belly-up. All other airlines were lowering their service level so they could offer lower ticket prices. Instead, Air Holland kept their high service level assuming that it would justify their higher ticket prices. It didn't work. I was sad to learn the first airline I ever flew in my life would never fly again, but that's the way it is.

After that I've flown a bunch of other airlines, but all of them are still flying. Though some airlines I've seen changing.

directorguy

Fri May 31, 2019 4:35 pm

Flew DEL-DXB on Jet Airways a few years ago. We were booked in Y, but offered an upgrade during check-in in New Delhi, which we accepted. It was a Boeing 737. The J cabin looked pretty drab, with no PTVs, which was surprising. Practically all airlines have PTVs at least in J.
Service was good though, with polite courteous staff. Food was very good. However I could see why they were charging less than $1000 for a return ticket in J between India and the UAE. Perhaps if they had invested in a better onboard experience, and captured higher yield passengers, they wouldn't be where they are now. Given that their competition is bloody Emirates, they seemed to lag far behind.

ConnectAir

Fri May 31, 2019 10:01 pm

Midwest Airlines- While I don't remember a lot, I remember picking around the chocolate in their warm chocolate chip cookies, and playing magnetic travel board games the entire flight. I also recall playing on the toy plane in terminal C at Logan.
WN, LX, AZ, BA, LH, KL, DL, OK, S5, US, UA, VY, IB, AF, LY, F9, CO, YX x2, PD

A319, A320, A321, A332, A333, A343, B712, B733, B737, B738, B753, B744, B764, B772, B789, DH8D, E145, E190,

spacecadet

Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:57 am

Usually defunct airlines were like pretty much any other airline. Sometimes they were worse, which is part of the reason they're defunct.

I know I've flown on more than this, but the defunct airlines I have specific memories of flying on are:

TWA: I flew out of the TWA Flight Center in 2000 on a 757 to San Francisco. The flight itself I remember being super-bumpy all the way, but flying out of that terminal before it closed will always be a highlight... really of my life. I've been back there several times since and I'm glad the building's now being used again, but I'm happy to be able to say I flew out of it when it was still in use for its original and intended purpose.

Hughes Airwest: I flew a milk run on one of their flying bananas up the west coast. It was like riding a bus. The plane was very shabby inside and out, to the point that it scared me. On all of our stops, we'd park and get air stairs or maybe even just use the rear stairs, and passengers would mill around the plane smoking or whatever until the next takeoff. It was bizarre. (There had to actually be a designated smoking area, but I have a specific memory of people gathered smoking on the tarmac with the plane sitting very close in the background.)

Northwest: I flew them a bunch of times from when I was a kid to just before they were absorbed by Delta. I specifically remember flying the old red-tailed Northwest Orient 747's on transcons to Portland. That was cool. I remember them being not very good at the end, though. I flew them a couple times JFK-NRT and found the service and hard product pretty non-competitive, and they were always late. (That's not always the airline's fault, but ANA and JAL have never been late for me on that route.)

PeoplExpress: Flew them several times out of both the North Terminal and Terminal C at EWR. Another bus-like experience. I remember the terminals (both of them) being so overcrowded that many people were sitting on the floor. They opened their presence in Terminal C before it was even close to finished and there was massive construction still going on and no air conditioning. Only one tiny part of it with their ticketing desk was open and everybody was crowded in there in the summer heat with no a/c. It was pretty awful. I don't remember anything about the on-board experience, so to a kid it probably didn't seem much different than any other airline.

Other airlines I know I've flown on but don't have specific memories of include PSA, AirCal and Pan Am. So they were probably just okay, at least on my flights.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

alfa164

Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:18 pm

Gr8Circle wrote:
Will miss the service on Jet Airways (9W)…..they had a few faults here and there but were overall very good while they lasted :(

:checkmark: I will always remember Jet Airways as the airline that brought a first-world travel experience to a third-world country. For that, they deserve great credit. I never had a bad flight with them.

I flew on Continental a few times (good, but not great); Northwest (the same - maybe not quite so good); Braniff ( that I would rate as great! Too bad it was so great they couldn't afford to keep it up); Muse Air (they really tried to out-Southwest Southwest - and did a good job of it); Vanguard Airlines (I actually enjoyed flying them more than AA, which is probably the reason AA worked so hard to kill them off); and Canadian Airlines (a better ride than Air Canada, if for no other reason than the staff). On the opposite track, Eastern had a surly staff but great food (in First) going to Curacao. Ozark was a great carrier in the midwest; always friendly staff, ontime, and no hassles. Ditto Midwest Express - and their baked-on-the-plane cookies. Lao Central Airlines was another good airline, but only flew a brief time with 737's. It is probably better that they never got their SSJ's off the ground; I saw them sitting a number of times at Vientiane Airport.

Two late, unlamented airlines I flew were Pulkovo Airlines (a TU144 shuddering down the runway, with overhead bins popping open both times), and Lloyd Areo Boliviano (a scary flight as I heard the stall warnings screaming loudly during takeoff from LPB).

Varig is an airline I really enjoyed, as was AeroContinente. Mexicana was convenient, but nothing special. And I almost cry when I think of PanAm, and the great airline it once was... that an Braniff are the two I miss most.
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

ER757

Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:11 pm

My company booked me on Markair SEA/ANC a few weeks before they ceased operations - they had some free tix they had to use or lose. Our outbound flight was about three hours late, I got to ANC at 03:00 and had to be at the office at 07:30. It was all worth it because of the return trip. We were scheduled to fly ANC/JNU/SEA. It was a Friday afternoon and the weather was CAVU - as we were taxiing for departure the pilot came on the PA and said that since the weather was so nice we were going to do a little sightseeing on our way. We departed and flew NORTH for while so that we could all get a really good look at Denali which was out in all its glory that day (my first and only look at the North America's highest peak). Then, rather than flying over the gulf of Alaska, we hugged the coast and got a non-stop show going past Wrangell St. Elias National Park, glimpsing Mt. Logan (Canada's highest peak) and then over Glacier Bay and Mt. Fairweather all in golden late afternoon sunlight. Truly the most spectacular flight I've even been on.

Yflyer

Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:23 am

Continental was my preferred airline when they were still around. I liked that they were the last holdout still serving hot meals in economy on domestic flights, even if the food itself was meh. And there were little things, like they would actually hold the flight for 10 minutes or so if there were connecting passengers who were delayed, at least if it was the last flight of the day. Even though I was never one of those delayed passengers I appreciated that they would presumably do the same for me if I were.

Northwest was definitely no frills. The cabins of their A320s were often kind of worn out looking. But they had the only nonstop to MSP, so when my parents moved to western Wisconsin after they retired I took that flight for family visits. And I still fly Delta on that route today. Whenever I get one of the refurbished A320s I always picture what it used to look like when it was flying with NW.

Flanker7

Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:01 am

Flown TWA domestic and Trans Atlantic a few times. Not so great I must say. Meals in general where tastles and the aircraft looked worn and the crew uninterested , but hey there was the 1011 that made up for some of it.
Flying blue only if possible

eastafspot

Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:29 am

With a simple rule as you buy 4 flights you get the 5th one free, Air Liberté was a really good deal.
Air Uganda was a good option for regional trip in Africa.

sw733 wrote:
Being African, and having traveled extensively in Africa, I have been on a few of them. A domestic DR Congo flight on Hewa Bora was by far the most frightening aviation experience of my life.

What happened with them?
It must have been thrilling to try one of their B727... ;)
Fly with Air Burundi, Air Tanzania, Golden Wings Aviation, Kenya Airways, RwandAir and Uganda Airlines...Jumuiya ya Afrika mashariki !

conaly

Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:31 am

Only counting airlines, that completely ceased pax operation and not including airlines, that have been overtaken or still operate with a different name:

Air Berlin - been quite often with them for holiday flights Between 2003 and 2010. The crews and service were always nice. But somewhere in the 2010s, it all got worse from year to year. The economic problems have been apparent everywhere, including in the motivation of the crews. My final flight with them has been almost exactly two years ago on a Eurowings flight operated by AB. That wasn't the same airline anymore then. I really liked the old Air Berlin, but I'm actually almost glad the new Air Berlin doesn't exist anymore. But to be fair: the current Eurowings, which more or less taken over many routes from AB, isn't any better either...

MNG Airlines: one flight LEJ-AYT on a package holiday with my parents. Nothing special, nothing exceptionally bad or good to say about them. But it was my first and only MD-82 flight, so that was in fact quite nice. Not too long after they stopped all passenger flights and operate cargo only today.

Sky Airlines: same package holiday as MNG, just the return leg. Shitty service, old shitty airplane (B734) and the pilots landed so far on the side of the runway, that I could see the center line from the window. I was not unhappy when I heard they ceased operation.

Jet Airways: had a few domestic flights with them in India and once a return trip DEL-KTM-DEL. Their economy and business product has always been a pleasure. I liked them so much more than Air India, so I am a bit sad about their demise. Was planning to fly with them DEL-ADB next week, but the time I was planning the trip, the airlines was already on the verge of collapse, so I had to book AI instead.
Airports 2019: ADB, ALG, AMD, ATL, BOS, CTS, DEL, DTW, DUS, EWR, FRA, HND, IST, JFK, MUC, NUE, PHL, SIN, STN, YYZ
Planned 2019: BOG, CDG, FRA, FUK, HIJ, HND, MUC, NGO, NUE, OKA, ZRH

LH748

Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:52 am

My first flight was with LTU (later taken over by Air Berlin) so that is a bit of a double-defunct airline.
I don't recall much of my first flight but according to my mom I was very impressed by the whole airport scenery. I have good memory of Air Berlin as I've taken them multiple times on charter flights and really loved their catering back in the day when there was still proper catering on all flights.
306 310 318 319 320 321 333 343 388 ATR72 733 737 738 739 743 744 748 752 753 763 764 772 77W 788 CRJ7 CRJ9 E170 F100 MD11 RJ1H
AA AB AC AF AK AZ BA DE DL EW FD FR HF HG IB IR MF KU LH LT LX OD TG TK TP UA VJ VN WN W6 YP YW

zrs70

Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:12 am

A few tid bits:

Midwest Express in their glory years... They were a cut above the others. 2x2 seating on DC-9’s (though legroom was not as generous as first class on other domestic carriers. Food service was certainly above par.

New York Air. LOVED the Flying Nosh bags that were given out in flight!

Northwest (Orient). Definitely very average.

TWA. In the late 80’s/ 90’s, nothing all that special.

Eastern. Best looking L1011’s in the sky! Other than that, nothing too special.

USAir(ways). Nothing too special.

Continental. Nothing too special.
19 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2019

acjbbj

Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:07 pm

I remember flying on Northwest Airlines back in 2005 (I was in first grade back then). Don't remember the details but the 744 was a pretty awesome plane to fly on.
Douglas Aircraft Company
Born: 22 July 1921 (Santa Monica, CA)
Died: 23 May 2006 (Long Beach, CA), age 84 years 10 months 1 day
You will be missed.

Aurantiaco
Topic Author

Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:54 pm

And I almost cry when I think of PanAm,

You’ve been on Pan Am? Lucky!

UltimateDelta

Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:42 pm

TWA: my family flew them to visit family in Georgia around 1998 or so, but I was too young to really remember much about it.

Continental: Flew them ATL-IAH-OMA in 2003, and then again DCA-EWR-MUC-EWR-IAH-OMA in 2011. I remember the ATL-IAH leg was on an MD-80 that was probably a few months from retirement, and very shabby inside. Not that I really cared, but it does stand out. The 2011 trip was utterly unremarkable in every way, although I did get to sit in the mini-cabin (the first few rows of Y) in their 767-200s on a couple of legs, which was nice.

Northwest: Flew them OMA-MEM-ATL in 2003 and OMA-DTW-FRA and back in 2008. The flight attendants on the DTW-FRA leg were kind of unfriendly, but on all the other flights they were very nice, and I have no complaints about them.

Midwest Express/Midwest: Everything about them was great. They were small enough that we often ran into some of the same crews (and of course the local airport staff), and they were always super friendly. Omaha had been downgraded to ERJ-170s by the time the 99-seat 717s were introduced, so my only experiences with them were with the original Signature service and configuration. Nothing but good memories there.
Midwest Airlines- 1984-2010

mandala499

Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:20 pm

Pan Am... was very young, flew them a few times post deregulation. They had cool goodie bags for kids in long haul (707, DC8, 727) and domestic transcon.
Flew their IGS service (732 TXL-FRA), which was... interesting...
TWA, flew them ATH-CAI and CAI-FCO, back in the early 80s with their 707s... I can't remember what the cabin service was like though...
Viva Air... LGW-MAD-LGW, it was good (in a simple way).
Air Europe Brindisi-LGW on the 752... and Novair (ex Calair) on the DC-10... barebones service eurocharter style...
Sabena, flew LHR-BRU and BRU-SIN multistop service on their DC-10, it really felt like it was a KLM wannabe back in those days...
Indian Airlines, back in the A300 and 732 days... nothing outstanding on the service...
Ansett Australia, did their 763 service CGK-SYD vv a few times, it was good, if you didn't mind the stiff seats... the domestic 762 and BAe146 service was memorable, cheerful crew... even when they were talking about company problems, they'd say it with a smile!

Merpati - stereotypical old Indonesian airline... good but boring service, with atrocious ground handling... Flew their F27s, F28s, F100s, 732s, and A310s.
Star Air - The best of the millenial startup airline here in Indonesia, very good soft service by the crew, and their 732s were spotless. This is one I miss from that era.
Kartika Air - One I'd rather forget if it wasn't for the jumpseat :P (732)
Pelita Air - Well, their scheduled service is defunct (using F100s). I actually liked them. Good service, good ground staff covering your back if you got problems on the ground.
Mandala - I flew them from the L-188 Electra days, nothing changed till 2004 apart from converting to 732s... nothing amazing or outstanding, but was very reliable and dependable. Then they lost their way until 2006, when they got the 320s and totally new management. It became an awesome airline overnight. But debts from the previous years caught up with with, so they closed... then came back again as Mandala Tiger, sad to see the Mandala spirit barely visible and Tiger basically didn't understand our market, so they finally folded in 2014... The last "old private brand" airline in Indonesia... Flew their L-188, 732, 734, A320.
When losing situational awareness, pray Cumulus Granitus isn't nearby !

910A

Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:00 am

For a regional carrier North Central was outstanding. Clean comfortable planes let it be either the CV580 or DC-9-30/50. Seemed to be always on time. Going to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan they had their little hub in Green Bay to switch to one of the three flights going north..

Pan American, the days of the Boeing 377- Roomy, every passenger was made to feel special, 707- still treated passengers as king, the 747era -could tell they were hurting financially, dirty planes, cabins with sweat on the walls, rude flight attendants, on-time is the same day (okay it wasn't that bad) the only L-1011 I flew was spotless of course it was brand new.

Laker Skytrain - tight sitting with ten across in their DC-10, which wasn't bad with the aircraft 75-80% empty. Friendly cabin crews.

dcaproducer

Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:27 am

From STL originally. Used to fly Ozark to Florida with family every year. They used to fly STL-Sarasota-RSW.
Also flew Eastern from STL-Florida.

Then TWA for years.

I then lived near Detroit and flew NWA.

Now all DL.

Wednesdayite

Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:07 am

I flew with 6 airlines that are no longer with us.

Handful of flights with:

NWA
Dan Air London
Varig

One return trip each with:

Malev
U.S.
Continental

And (NWA aside) I’m really struggling to remember much about any of them.

I did like NWA’s seat back entertainment. And I certainly liked their prices. That went for U.S. too.
A318/19/20/21/30/40. B717/27/37/47/57/67/77/87. CRJ2/7. ERJ145/175/190. FKR50. IL62. MD11/82/83/88. TU154.
AA AC AF AI AR AS AT AV AZ BA BW BY CO DA DL F9 FR JJ KL LH MA NW NZ OS RG SU TK U2 UA US VS WN

hoons90

Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:33 am

Air Berlin: I was really sad to see them go. Flew them on ORY-TXL-JFK (738, 332) and it exceeded my expectations. Seats had very comfortable padding, and despite the 30" pitch, I actually had a comfortable flight. IFE selection on the 332 was very decent and the meals were excellent as well.
Canadian: Flew them on FCO-YYZ, 763. I remember the crews being much friendlier than on AC.
Continental: When I flew them 10 years ago, they still had complimentary Y class meals on domestic transcons while their competitors didn't. I remember being served a chicken burger with salad, and while it was basic, it was much appreciated. EWR-SFO-EWR on the 738. Crews were also very friendly.
Skyservice: Flew on their 320 on YYZ-NAS-YYZ. It was as good as it gets for a charter operation, and the meals were great. I distinctly remember how good the Shepherd's Pie was.
US Airways: As bare-bones as it got for a FSC. The seats were extremely uncomfortable and the bulkhead seats had less legroom than the regular seats. Not much different than traveling on a bus. Last experience with them was in 2011 from CLT to SEA on a 321.
The biggest mistake made by most human beings: Listening to only half, understanding just a quarter and telling double.

readytotaxi

Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:24 am

I used to fly from the UK to America six times a year back when :old:
My destinations were all served by BA direct but I never flew with them, it was always Northwest or Continental out of Gatwick. Always went in Business Class and found the service on the ground and in the air tremendous, and the FFP they both had was so good. The 767 on Continental had that single seat in the middle and was always my choice and the NWA cabin always seemed so spacious, and both had really good catering. Happy days :cloudnine:

you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

Jshank83

Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:00 pm

I flew USA3000 from STL-PIE. I was younger and don't remember much of it so I guess it was okay. Only thing I really remember is while waiting to go home our incoming flight sat right outside the window on the tarmac looking at us for an hour. There were some bad storms and they had to wait to let anyone off. They were using stair boarding.

SJCMSP

Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:48 pm

I few on Northwest, Continental, TWA and US Airways and found them to be fairly consistent with other legacy carriers at the time. I also few on Morris Air, whose service was very similar to Southwest's at the time with no reserved seating and receiving a plastic placard with a number at the gate, Midwest, I got to fly on their dreamy 717s once, Reno Air, which was kinda like Southwest but with MDs and reserved seating, and America West, whose service varied over the years.

Americanil96

Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:43 am

Aurantiaco wrote:
What were some of your experiences on defunct airlines? What are your opinions on the ones you’ve flown, and if people look at it through rose colored glasses too much.
I flew on Continental when I was far too young to remember. When I asked my mother about what it was like, she told me it was “average,” and like the legacy carriers at the time. Oddly enough, my grandfather flew Braniff, and he said that was average, too. Doesn’t look like that in the photos.

Flew with Continental when I was 4, it was my first experience with aviation. the Route was DFW-IAH-SAL and back as we were traveling to El Salvador. I don't remember much as I was 4 at the time lol. but do remember some of the plane and food. anyways, dad told me that it was meh.
Rawr

spacecadet

Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:40 am

I actually forgot in my original post that Contintental is "defunct" (I just think of them as United now). If we count them, then I flew with them a lot out of EWR, especially either EWR-SFO or EWR-OAK (I think one was United and the other Continental, but I don't remember which was which). This would have been in the late 70's to mid 80's, and mostly on DC-10's. I remember them being pretty good but at this point in my memory, literally indistinguishable from United. Hot meal in coach, a stop in Chicago, colorful seats with decent legroom for me as a kid. I remember on some of those flights, the f/a's would give me either playing cards or wings or both, but I don't remember if that was CO or UA or more likely both.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

N14AZ

Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:01 am

Aurantiaco wrote:
I flew on Continental when I was far too young to remember. When I asked my mother about what it was like, she told me it was “average,” and like the legacy carriers at the time.

I flew on ...

1. Air Berlin: FRA - PMI vv (pls. don't tell anybody...)
2. British Midland: HAJ - LHR vv
3. Continental: Houston - Belize
4. BritAit: Quimper - CDG
5. Air Inter: CDG - Quimper
6. Pan Am: FRA - TGL vv
7. Taca: Belize - Houston

... but I would describe it as your mother did. Nothing special.

UAUA

Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:56 am

1) US Air/US Airways: It was back in 1987 and 2009. Very short flights. Not bad.

2) Ansett Australia: 2001. It was superb. Excellent service, food, drinks etc.

3) Orient Thai: 2006. It was ok. Pretty worn and torn though. Average food/drinks.

4) Canadian Airlines: 1999. The service was good. Also the food/drinks.

5) Midway Airways: Can't remember.
My former profile name was United Airline.

vhqpa

Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:07 pm

1. Ansett. - I can only remember one round trip with them as a 6 year old UM. DRW-ADL-DRW. Was impressed by the 727 outbound (Infact I was given a choice of QF or AN and I chose AN specifically because I knew they flew a 727 on the sector as opposed to QF who sent a 737). Meal was roast chicken with roast potatoes and peas. The return was on a 737-300 and I remember being disappointed it wasn't a 727. Got a cockpit visit on both sectors.

2. Air National - A short trip across the alps from CHC-HKK on a Jetstream J32. Don't really have anything to add possitive or negative.

3. Eagle Airways. Was an Air New Zealand affiliate before being wound down with the B1900 retirement. I flew CHC-BHE-WLG on a Beechcraft 1900D. Good flights, no FA, no cockpit door so looking straight out the windscreen while making an approach into Wellington's notoriously gusty approach was quite an interesting experience.

4. Strategic Airlines - A short lived airline that attempted being a full service carrier to Bali before rebranding as a LCC under the name Air Australia, and then going insolvent. My flight was BNE-TSV (Continued onto DPS) there must have been about 8 passengers on the A320. Seats were very comfortable, crew was decent.

5. Brindabella Airlines and Aeropelican. Brindabella bought Aeropelican and maintained them as a seperate brand until their demise. I flew both brands first was Brindabella on a J41 operated TMW-BNE leg, then later an Aeropelican J32 flight NTL-SYD. Don't have any feelings about the flights but I remember the longer TMW-BNE sector being uncomfortable with the Jetstream fuselage curvature. I'm glad I logged both Jetstream's but comfort wise I'd choose an ATR or Dash 8 other a Jetstream hands down.
"There you go ladies and gentleman we're through Mach 1 the speed of sound no bumps no bangs... CONCORDE"

Aurantiaco
Topic Author

Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:58 pm

N14AZ wrote:
Aurantiaco wrote:
I flew on Continental when I was far too young to remember. When I asked my mother about what it was like, she told me it was “average,” and like the legacy carriers at the time.

I flew on ...

How was Pan Am?

luckyone

Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:30 pm

US Airways: 2007 ATL-CLT, on an older 737 with striped grey cloth interiors. Nothing terrible. Good service on the ground.

Hapag-Lloyd Flug: 2007, CGN-VCE. Very uncomfortable even for that short a flight.

Malev: 2009 AMS-BUD. Comfortable aircraft. Friendly flight attendants.

SkyEurope: 2007 TSF-VIE. Comfortable seating on their 737-800. Rather robotic service from the flight attendants, but the cost of the flight left no room for complaint.

KentB27

Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:44 am

1. I flew on Aloha Airlines back in 2005. It was pretty decent for the time. Their 737-200s they used for inter-island flights were a cool experience to fly on. They were the last US carrier to operate them before their passenger division went bankrupt.

2. Continental Airlines was nothing special. I really don't know why so people act like CO was the greatest airline ever.

3. US Airways was completely unremarkable in almost every way as well. Not much to say about them.

Coal

Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:10 am

Flew on:

ACES, Continental, ALM, SAM. ACES and Continental were fantastic. ALM I flew from CUR to AUA. Don't remember much. SAM was OK. Also flew AirUK. First time as a UM. From London (don't remember which airport) to FLR. Flight felt like it took forever.
Nxt Flts: KE SIN-ICN-ATL | DL ATL-FLL | AA MIA-ATL | KE ATL-ICN-SIN

N14AZ

Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:17 am

Aurantiaco wrote:
N14AZ wrote:
Aurantiaco wrote:

I flew on ...

How was Pan Am?

Oh, I simply don't remember anything special. One flight was on a B737-200 and the return flight on a B727-200 (or vice versa). It was at the beginning of the 1980ies and I was about 11 years old.

CairnterriAIR

Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:48 am

90 % of the flights I’ve taken have been on airlines that no longer exist. To save space here I’m leaving out the carriers that have merged into others....

*Mexicana....typical airline flight. No different from anything else.

*Eastern...my mother worked for them, so I always pass rode in First Class.....spoiled. A lot of people bashed EA, but honestly both first class and coach were excellent. The L-1011’s were gorgeous!

*Pan Am....I flew them towards the end. Aircraft was tired but crew did their best

*PRINAir.....small Puerto Rican based carrier that flew DHH Herons! A blast!!! How many can say they flew on a Heron?

Aero Virgin Islands...DC-3 operation in the US Virgin Islands....I flew many times...on regularly scheduled DC-3 flights! There is NOTHING like a DC-3! And theirs’ were still adorned in their 1940’s interior!!! Sadly the airline was taken out in a hurricane. Their one surviving DC-3 has been restored back to its original EA colors and is on display at the New England Air Museum at BDL.

*OceanAir Line...a small Virgin Island carrier that flew FH-227’s. Immaculate aircraft. Nice ride through paradise.

*Best Airlines...a tiny airline that flew a pair of DC-9-10’s around a few cities in the northeast during the week, and down to Florida on the weekends. Took several trips on them, always the same plane, always the same crew! Very down home family operation. Thought they did a great job and am sad they didn’t last.

danman132x

Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:54 pm

Flew US Airways a couple times to Germany and back. Had good service and they were nice, but very no frills from what I recall on my flights.

MartijnNL

Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:09 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
Of course this was the late 80's or early 90's, so a whole different era when it came to aviation. We were going on holiday to Portugal, a flight of only a few hours. Yet the service level was out of this world, I doubt any airline nowadays could match it. Even for such a short flight they did everything to make you feel comfortable. There was a meal included with the flight and I remember me and my sister got a color plate and pencils which was part of their "children package".

Maybe you should give KLM a try. Their service level is on par with what you describe. On my recent flight to Ibiza they served a hot meal and multiple drinks free of charge in economy. There were also "children packages" for all the young passengers. After landing the first officer personally greeted all the passengers, wishing them a nice holiday and thanking them for choosing KLM. The great flying experience of "a whole different era" can still be enjoyed in 2019.

seat1a

Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:01 am

Anyone with experiences on Braniff or North Central? Never had the pleasure.