Aurantiaco
Topic Author

Is Alaskan Airlines really that good?

Fri May 31, 2019 3:55 pm

I’m considering flying Alaska in the future. I saw that in many airline rankings in the US, Alaska was always first or second place. What are your experiences in Alaskan, and what are the pros or cons? Would you recommend it? Thank you.

jetmechanicdave

Re: Is Alaskan Airlines really that good?

Fri May 31, 2019 4:58 pm

Yes, Alaska Airlines is great. I’ve flown on them and worked on them. I highly recommend them.
Aircraft Mechanic and Airliners.net Forum Moderator

IADCA

Fri May 31, 2019 5:39 pm

Aurantiaco wrote:
I’m considering flying Alaska in the future. I saw that in many airline rankings in the US, Alaska was always first or second place. What are your experiences in Alaskan, and what are the pros or cons? Would you recommend it? Thank you.

They're perfectly fine. From my perspective as a flyer, they often rank highly solely because they avoid a lot of the public mistakes that other carriers make. Their smaller scale and somewhat regional focus tends to keep them away from the scrutiny of the heavily East Coast-skewed media.

But I've had several very positive experiences with them. It likely won't matter for you, but any time I need to transport an animal in the cargo hold in the future and they fly the route, I'm going with them. From the human perspective, all I've noticed is that the planes are clean, they get you there, they do it on time and without a lot of drama. In the US, that ranks you pretty highly.

IPFreely

Fri May 31, 2019 7:45 pm

First of all, it’s Alaska Airlines, not Alaskan Airlines. With that out of the way the answer is yes, they really are as good as their reputation. Best in the US and very possibly the world.

n562wn

Fri May 31, 2019 7:53 pm

Meh. Alaska is decent. Nothing really special in my opinion. Personally I choose Delta out of Seattle over Alaska if it all possible.
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.

LCY55Approach

Fri May 31, 2019 8:33 pm

IPFreely wrote:
First of all, it’s Alaska Airlines, not Alaskan Airlines. With that out of the way the answer is yes, they really are as good as their reputation. Best in the US and very possibly the world.

I'd be interested to know how much you've flown in Asia to feel confident making that claim. I've only flown AS as a regional service operated by Skywest, so maybe I didn't get the full service for comparison. It was perfectly fine, but not a patch on SQ, CX etc.
Flown list: M83, 732, TU3, AR8, 320, 77E, ER4, CR1, 744, 319, AT4, AT7, 333, 73H, E90, DH4, 346, 388, 734, 313, 77W, 332, 321, 763, 789, 773, 343, E70, CS3, E75, 752, 7M8, 788, 32A, 359, E95, 736, SU9, CR9, 764, CR2, CR7, 739, 318, 712, 351, 772

Stitch

Fri May 31, 2019 8:53 pm

I've been flying them for decades and they're always friendly and competent.

sw733

Fri May 31, 2019 9:19 pm

They're personally my favorite US airline.

IAHFLYR

Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:53 am

AS without a doubt. And if you happen to buy a first class ticket you get access to their lounges. Not that the lounges are all that other than fantastic friendly associates and the very light good pancake machine. :)
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

speedbird52

Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:34 am

They are pretty good, but this very sane sounding gentleman who lives down the road from me will say otherwise: http://www.alaskaairlinesscumoftheskies.com/

compensateme

Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:04 am

Yes they are. Despite having no PTV or in-seat power, similar streaming IFE as its peers, similar seat width/pitch and similar snack and drink service, the experience is way better!
We don’t care what your next flight is.

toobz

Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:36 am

Eh they arent the best as far as hard product but the employees are what makes them stand out. They are good for the short west coast hops but i would avoid them on anything longer than 3hrs.

EA CO AS

Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:44 am

Is Alaskan Airlines really that good?

Alaskan? Never heard of 'em. :duck:
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

spacecadet

Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:51 am

Well, I like them. They do a full drink service PDX-SEA with local beers.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

opticalilyushin

Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:40 am

I flew them a few times on a trip a couple of years ago, and really enjoyed them. Clean modern interior, friendly crew, standard inflight service that you get in America, a USB socket at every seat and free streaming of entertainment to pass the hours.

ER757

Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:36 pm

I've been flying theme ever since I moved to the Seattle area nearly 30 year ago and have nothing but nice things to say about them. A couple years ago we were delayed by weather in ORD for nearly seven hours, the crew timed out (they were flying the diverted inbound leg) and a team that was supposed to deadhead to SEA volunteered to work the flight so it wasn't cancelled. Then a couple weeks later I got a letter from AS with a $50 dollar voucher to make up for being inconvenienced by the delay (even thought AS had no control over the weather delay). I thought that was a very nice gesture.

KentB27

Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:19 am

I really like Alaska Airlines. Their customer service is hard to beat, their staff is always friendly, and they're predictable and consistent.

The downsides of Alaska is that their hard product isn't that great, they don't belong to an alliance, and their route network outside of Alaska and the west coast is limited.

Despite that I always have had good experiences flying with them.

Coal

Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:11 am

IPFreely wrote:

Haha. This, especially the last bit, surely must be sarcasm! :lol:
Nxt Flts: SQ SIN-MNL-SIN | SQ SIN-BKK-SIN | DL SIN-NRT-SIN | LH SIN-MUC-SIN

milemaster

Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:09 pm

IPFreely wrote:
First of all, it’s Alaska Airlines, not Alaskan Airlines.

EA CO AS wrote:
Alaskan? Never heard of 'em.

Posts like this are so obnoxious. Surely everyone knows what airline he/she was talking about.

Are you guys really that fragile and dorked out over a corporate brand?

EA CO AS

Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:34 pm

milemaster wrote:
IPFreely wrote:
First of all, it’s Alaska Airlines, not Alaskan Airlines.

EA CO AS wrote:

Posts like this are so obnoxious. Surely everyone knows what airline he/she was talking about.

Are you guys really that fragile and dorked out over a corporate brand?

First off, you may have noticed the smiley face I'd added. That probably should have been your indication that neither fragility nor any other emotion was in play.

Second, ask anyone who ever worked for HP over how they'd feel when they'd get called "AmericaN West" all the time. AS employees roll their eyes over the lack of accuracy at work when people say "AlaskaN." But again, it's not being fragile - far from it! Just trying to highlight the inaccuracy, that's all.

And if you have an issue with it, well, I'd suggest perhaps you're pointing at the wrong person when asserting that someone is "fragile"...
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

IPFreely

Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:28 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
And if you have an issue with it, well, I'd suggest perhaps you're pointing at the wrong person when asserting that someone is "fragile"...

I would agree except milemaster has indicated his preferred carriers are Delta Airways and Southwestern in previous posts. I think people who prefer those carriers probably don’t understand how important brand identity can be at a carrier like Alaska.

chepos

Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:54 am

Mostly flown Horizon, but flown mainline a few times. Always friendly, mostly on time and as a nrsa they have always been good to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fly the Flag!!!!

AlnessW

Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:37 pm

Main "hub" airline at PDX, my home airport. Flown them once or twice in the last year - decent service, friendly agents, and flights were on-time. Nothing overly special, as both n562wn and toobz say (I would probably take DL over them as well). Their kitschy destination-themed 737s and diehard support of the Timbers never ceases to make me chuckle (as both are things I couldn't care less about). I like their wide variety of destinations covered out of PDX - quite handy for those "long weekend jaunts out of town," but I also consider them somewhat of a regional airline and wouldn't fly them long-haul.

That being said, I like Horizon a lot - regional service on Dash-8 Q400s is always fun! :)

Don't like how they merged with VX and took that entire line of product off the market.

EA CO AS wrote:

I thought you were talking about the beer!

MAH4546

Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:51 pm

By far the best domestic airline. Excellent service, great employees, proactive customer service and just overall excellently ran operation. Back in March we landed at JFK on a redeye and there wasn’t a gate due to factors beyond their control. We waited an hour for the gate. By the time I was in my Uber, Alaska texted me an apology and sent me a $100. I never even complained, it was proactive. It wasn’t even their fault there was not a gate.
a.