Seabear
Topic Author

Southwest ditching ticket jackets

Fri May 31, 2019 8:06 pm

USA TODAY: End of an era: Southwest ditching ticket jackets

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/f ... 277959001/

How many airlines are still providing ticket jackets?

Wingtips56

Re: Southwest ditching ticket jackets

Fri May 31, 2019 9:00 pm

Since few, if any carriers still issue paper tickets, there is nothing to put in a jacket.
Worked for WestAir, Apollo Airways, Desert Pacific, Western, AirCal and American Airlines (Retired). Flight Memory: 180 airports, 90 airlines, 75 a/c types, 403 routes, 58 countries (by air), 6 continents. 1,117,006 passenger miles.

Home airport : CEC

32andBelow

Fri May 31, 2019 9:00 pm

I don’t understand why anyone is using paper boarding passes let alone “paper ticket” (boarding pass) holders.

william

Fri May 31, 2019 9:02 pm

32andBelow wrote:
I don’t understand why anyone is using paper boarding passes let alone “paper ticket” (boarding pass) holders.

Something to attach your check luggage receipt too.

AirKevin

Fri May 31, 2019 9:03 pm

32andBelow wrote:

Not everyone has a cell phone? Phone dies? Just a guess, mind you.
Captain Kevin

UALFAson

Fri May 31, 2019 10:04 pm

32andBelow wrote:

Because a cell phone dies or fades to black just as the person is trying to scan it or the screen isn't bright enough or they have up the wrong boarding pass and can't figure out how to get the correct one. I wish agents were more assertive about making these people stand to the side and not hold up the line while they figure out technology they think they're so cool for using.

I have also found that it is much easier to hand a paper boarding pass to an Admirals Club or gate agent when you are trying to get rebooked, whether due to IRROPS or standing by for an earlier flight, than it is your phone, which you can continue to use to offer suggestions or investigate other options.
"We hope you've enjoyed flying with us as much as we've enjoyed taking you for a ride."

zkncj

Fri May 31, 2019 10:09 pm

william wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

Printing seperate luggage receipts is outdated, NZ/QF both print it on your boarding pass. Or if using an Moblie boarding pass, it digitally adds onto there when you have dropped an bag off.

flyguy89

Fri May 31, 2019 10:18 pm

No! Ugh. I've always had a rare affinity for ticket jackets as part of the travel experience. It always just seemed like such a cool branding touch point. I loved the different designs and, to me, was a neat way to frame your trip.

Antarius

Fri May 31, 2019 10:22 pm

flyguy89 wrote:
No! Ugh. I've always had a rare affinity for ticket jackets as part of the travel experience. It always just seemed like such a cool branding touch point. I loved the different designs and, to me, was a neat way to frame your trip.

Interesting. They are generic though, so once you have one, you have one?

I say this as someone who has over 1000 cardstock boarding passes. But the ticket jacket I have always recycled.
2019: SIN HKG NRT DFW IAH HOU CLT LGA JFK SFO SJC EWR SNA EYW MIA BOG LAX ORD DTW OAK PVG BOS DCA IAD ATL LAS BIS CUN PHX OAK SYD CVG PHL MAD ORY CDG SLC SJU BQN DEN DOH BLR MAA KTM YYZ MEX

planecane

Fri May 31, 2019 10:23 pm

zkncj wrote:
william wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

Printing seperate luggage receipts is outdated, NZ/QF both print it on your boarding pass. Or if using an Moblie boarding pass, it digitally adds onto there when you have dropped an bag off.

On AA, you get the reciept because it is just peeled off the luggage tag but it is also shown in the app (and I'd guess the website also) with tracking. It's nice to have the peace of mind that it has been loaded below you!

USAirALB

Fri May 31, 2019 10:24 pm

I believe BA still offers transfer wallets to folks who connect through LHR, which I guess serve as de facto ticket jackets.
RJ85, F70, E135, E140, E145, E70, E75, E90, CR2, CR7, CR9, 717, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 744, 752, 753, 762, 772, 77E, 77W, 789, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343, 359, 388

WeatherPilot

Fri May 31, 2019 10:25 pm

You'd think they'd keep them now that everyone is so serious about privacy concerns.

Cubsrule

Fri May 31, 2019 10:38 pm

32andBelow wrote:

My kids don’t have cell phones and I like it that way. For multiple passengers, paper is tons easier. And when you have 4 or 8 boarding passes, jackets are actually helpful too. It was silly to give them out reflexively, which most WN agents did, but I miss them on certain flights.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

TWA772LR

Fri May 31, 2019 10:44 pm

When I was a WN CSA, I always issued jackets at the counter. More people than naught turned it down but I would kinda force the concept kf "have it and dont need it" on them. Id write the gate on the front, and slip in the boarding pass (and receipt/drink coupon/etc...) and staple the bag tag receipts. It kept everything convenient and was nice and presentable and organized.

And during Christmas I drew Christmas/SWA themed designs on them and gave them to the pax.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

johnboy

Fri May 31, 2019 11:16 pm

32andBelow wrote:

Heading that direction but we’re not there yet. Too much of the populace is not comfortable with QR codes yet.

I’ve been here long enough to remember the big debates over IFE also (“why do you even need this? Read a book!”)

cschleic

Fri May 31, 2019 11:36 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

My kids don’t have cell phones and I like it that way. For multiple passengers, paper is tons easier. And when you have 4 or 8 boarding passes, jackets are actually helpful too. It was silly to give them out reflexively, which most WN agents did, but I miss them on certain flights.

This is a big one, multiple passengers. Switching among boarding passes on a phone with several kids in tow holds things up. Or if they're not all seated together then they might not know where to go on the plane or have a record if there's a mix up about seats. I also find that gate scanners are more reliable with paper than phones.

T18

Fri May 31, 2019 11:53 pm

AirKevin wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

Not everyone has a cell phone? Phone dies? Just a guess, mind you.

I always print a ticket b/c I do not own a device that can be used as a ticket and even if I did I would likely still print the ticket printout and put it in my carry-on in case the reader won't take my device or the device fails. Granted knowing your PNR would also help there too but why remember it when you can have it printed on paper ;)
“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.” ― Steve McQueen (Le Mans) 1971

alggag

Fri May 31, 2019 11:59 pm

Ticket jackets always seemed pretty pointless to me to be totally honest. Similar to printed time tables I can see how people like them for nostalgic reasons but in practical terms they just feel outdated.

AtomicGarden

Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:17 am

32andBelow wrote:

I like paper boarding passes, because I kinda collect them after all my travels. Even more, when possible to do a web check in, I do it, but if the airport has self check in kiosks, I print them! totally useless and a waste of paper, but I like it anyway.

Mind you, more than once (and with different airlines) with WCKIN done, if I have to check baggage, the agent would print another BP for me, for some reason.
You killed a black astronaut, Cyril! That's like killing a unicorn!

ual763

Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:32 am

I Love paper ticket jackets, tickets, baggage tags, and timetables. Same reason why I hate Kindles over real books. You simply cannot beat the feel and practicality of real printed paper. No fiddling with batteries, charging, turning the screen on. It just works.
From flying to the NOTAM office

Wingtips56

Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:40 am

One of the purposes of the ticket jacket was to provide the mandated overbooking notices, conditions of contract notice, etc. Many were used as a boarding pass to mark the seat assignments, especially before we had boarding pass printers. For a while when AA stopped providing ticket jackets, we were meant to hand out paper copies of those notices. I guess they were cheaper than the ticket jackets, but pretty pointless and rarely used. Now I guess the carriers figure we can read it all in the website.

I rely on paper boarding passes as my cell phone (a flip phone!) makes voice calls and can do awkward texting. Not a portable computer. I can't see the screens very well, so I really don't want a smartphone and have it take over my life. Plus, how do you display your boarding pass on your phone when you don't have signal or wi-fi? I do carry my printed flight confirmation, and the bag receipt stickers can go on that or on my paper boarding pass. Call me old fashioned....

Ticket jackets were relatively expensive with the multi color printing, the extra slots, slits and pockets. They hit the station's budget, so we were supposed to use them judiciously. We of course would substitute a competitor's jacket for one of ours.
Worked for WestAir, Apollo Airways, Desert Pacific, Western, AirCal and American Airlines (Retired). Flight Memory: 180 airports, 90 airlines, 75 a/c types, 403 routes, 58 countries (by air), 6 continents. 1,117,006 passenger miles.

KFLLCFII

Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:45 am

That's too bad.

"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

smartplane

Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:50 am

Cubsrule wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

For multiple passengers, paper is tons easier. And when you have 4 or 8 boarding passes, jackets are actually helpful too.

Agreed.

smokeybandit

Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:52 am

I've had mobile tickets fail to be scanned (even at highest brightness) on more than one occasion. I go with paper (including printing from home) whenever possible

Veigar

Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:55 am

Just fold it and put it in your pocket..?

September11

Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:56 am

Wingtips56 wrote:

Ticket jackets were relatively expensive with the multi color printing, the extra slots, slits and pockets. They hit the station's budget, so we were supposed to use them judiciously. We of course would substitute a competitor's jacket for one of ours.

but with help of paid advertisements on the back
Airliners.net of the Future

Wingtips56

Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:15 am

September11 wrote:
Wingtips56 wrote:

but with help of paid advertisements on the back

True, that helped. But we were meant to throw out those with sponsors we no longer did business with, especially if it was something like changing preferred car rental companies, or something. Wasteful.

bretonrlong

Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:16 am

Always use mobile boarding pass. Stopped using paper 3+ years ago.

twinotter

Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:33 am

planecane wrote:
zkncj wrote:
william wrote:

On AA, you get the reciept because it is just peeled off the luggage tag but it is also shown in the app (and I'd guess the website also) with tracking. It's nice to have the peace of mind that it has been loaded below you!

I peel it off and stick it my phone.

william

Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:21 am

planecane wrote:
zkncj wrote:
william wrote:

I love that feature on the app.

ricport

Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:41 pm

32andBelow wrote:

Because I have yet to see one of the phone scanners work efficiently.

a320fan

Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:16 pm

A paper boarding pass really doesn't need to be more than a thermally printed receipt like slip of paper. Anything else is just pointless excess and environmentally unnecessary use of resources. I try to use mobile boarding passes as much as possible to limit my waste production so silently get a little annoyed when it's replaced by a paper version by a check in agent.
A319, A320, A321, A330-200, A350-900, A380, 737-700, 737-800, 777-200ER, 777-300, 777-300ER, 787-8, Q300, Q400

Yflyer

Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:22 pm

As someone who hasn't flown on Southwest in ages, I was surprised to learn that they still were using ticket jackets until so recently.

aklrno

Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:28 pm

zkncj wrote:
william wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

On NZ domestic, even though my boarding pass and bag tag are on my phone, I always print a ticket at the kiosk anyway. NZ wants you to have a piece of paper for the FA to check as you board. If you use your phone at the gate you have to pause while they issue you a mini boarding pass to show as you enter. It's faster to just print it at the kiosk as you arrive at the airport.

StrandedAtMKG

Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:31 pm

Paper...boarding...passes? Ticket jackets? What decade is it?