Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

sargester
Topic Author

Busiest Class C in the USA

Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:03 pm

I was doing some research on different airports and was wondering what the busiest class C airport/airspace in the country is, from what i was able to find all fingers point to PDX but has it changed? The info itself was a bit dated and i was wondering if anyone had any input or good info to share with me on this topic.

Food for though lads, J

Kronesian

Re: Busiest Class C in the USA

Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:16 pm

I would say FLL. It is the 19th busiest airport in the US vs PDX at 30.
KMLB

rufusmi

Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:41 pm

MDW has to be up there too

apodino

Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:48 pm

I don't know if we are talking pax wise or aircraft movement wise. If its the latter, DAB has to be near the top. DAB is arguably the busiest training airport in the country with Embry-Riddle as well as Phoenix East.

Pax Wise, FLL is the busiest Class C primary airport. That being said, even though FLL is class C it underlies MIA class B airspace just the same way MDWs class C does ORDs class B. As far as standalone Class C not in proximity to Class B, PDX is busiest, followed by BNA and AUS.

For the record.....the least busiest Class B is CVG, which is less busy than a whole bunch of class C.
Last edited by apodino on Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

southwest1675

Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:50 pm

Memphis?
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

apodino

Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:51 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
Memphis?

Is Class B

sargester
Topic Author

Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:15 pm

apodino wrote:
I don't know if we are talking pax wise or aircraft movement wise. If its the latter, DAB has to be near the top. DAB is arguably the busiest training airport in the country with Embry-Riddle as well as Phoenix East.

Pax Wise, FLL is the busiest Class C primary airport. That being said, even though FLL is class C it underlies MIA class B airspace just the same way MDWs class C does ORDs class B. As far as standalone Class C not in proximity to Class B, PDX is busiest, followed by BNA and AUS.

For the record.....the least busiest Class B is CVG, which is less busy than a whole bunch of class C.

DAB, SFB, and a few others come to mind with ops i want to say by aircraft movements SFB is one of the busiest in all of Florida, not sure how it stacks against others but its very busy there

tkoenig95

Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:26 pm

Class C is not only classified in terms of passenger boardings and IFR operations, but mostly the traffic that flies in and around that airspace. Class C airports in the Southeast see substantial traffic when oil rigs are making money, and hardly anything when they only see a handful of commercial airliners a day (BTR, LFT, LCH, MOB, etc.). In some of the counties busiest metropolitan areas like FLL and MDW space remains a restriction in regard to the Bravo right next to it.

MO11

Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:48 pm

tkoenig95 wrote:
Class C is not only classified in terms of passenger boardings and IFR operations, but mostly the traffic that flies in and around that airspace. Class C airports in the Southeast see substantial traffic when oil rigs are making money, and hardly anything when they only see a handful of commercial airliners a day (BTR, LFT, LCH, MOB, etc.). In some of the counties busiest metropolitan areas like FLL and MDW space remains a restriction in regard to the Bravo right next to it.

Actually, no, it's just instrument operations and enplanements (ref. FAAO 7400.2). LCH is a TRSA.

tkoenig95

Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:57 pm

MO11 wrote:
tkoenig95 wrote:

Actually, no, it's just instrument operations and enplanements (ref. FAAO 7400.2). LCH is a TRSA.

Yes, as stated above.