Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

lightmac
Topic Author

How do airlines "pay" for each others lounges?

Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:32 am

If I travel on Airline "A", but us Airline "B"s lounge (for example within the Star Alliance Family), does Airline "B" get a compensation from Airline "A"? Is it a non-profit price because the two airlines are allied or is it profitable? In that case are there airlines that try to lure customers away from Lounge "A" to lounge "B"?

TheFlyingDisk

Re: How do airlines "pay" for each others lounges?

Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:01 am

I do believe that this is the case. Airline B will bill airline A a certain rate for passengers who used their lounge while not flying with Airline B.

IIRC, there were instances of airlines not allowing their fellow partner airline lounge privileges because the partner airline didn't agree to the rate charged for each passengers.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

questions

Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:09 am

I’m curious how much those rates are. Anyone know?

Likewise, when American Express Platinum is used to access a Delta Sky Club, how much in Amex charged?

I realize these are confidential, but perhaps someone with industry knowledge has a ballpark figure and is working outside an NDA.

lightmac
Topic Author

Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:43 am

I think a typical price/cost for a lounge visit is 20-30 Dollars/Euros

Waterbomber2

Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:17 am

The ballpark wholesale rate is 5-12 USD depending on how allied the airlines are and the lounge facilities. Some will charge more but that's for smaller airports where the lounge is the sole option.
Many airlines use lounges provided by airports which are usually more expensive.

In principle airlines will bill one another, except when joint venture partners on a route and each having their respective lounge at one end of a route.

aerorobnz

Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:50 am

All I know is they must really hate people like me who like to try them all. Start in the UA lounge, then go to the SQ lounge, then go to the TG lounge etc..:-D
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

PlymSpotter

Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:19 pm

Third party carriers are usually charged by pax appearances, so yes lounge hoppers cost them more.

In other words, if the pax is entitled to use a lounge but doesn't, then the third party airline isn't charged. This is often why coupons are issued, to bake the redemption process simpler.for the lounge operator.
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

smartplane

Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:46 pm

Waterbomber2 wrote:
The ballpark wholesale rate is 5-12 USD depending on how allied the airlines are and the lounge facilities. Some will charge more but that's for smaller airports where the lounge is the sole option.
Many airlines use lounges provided by airports which are usually more expensive.

In principle airlines will bill one another, except when joint venture partners on a route and each having their respective lounge at one end of a route.

Usually paid for via IATA settlement, in the same was as ticket set-offs.

UpNAWAy

Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:12 pm

Exactly and I was going to add luggage too!

gq

Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:38 pm

questions wrote:

Likewise, when American Express Platinum is used to access a Delta Sky Club, how much in Amex charged?

I realize these are confidential, but perhaps someone with industry knowledge has a ballpark figure and is working outside an NDA.

Amex Platinum users have to be booked on a delta flight to access the skyclub

questions

Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:07 pm

gq wrote:
questions wrote:

Amex Platinum users have to be booked on a delta flight to access the skyclub

Correct. But that doesn’t answer my question.

Loran

Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:46 am

At my home airport in ZRH for example Swissport used to operate some lounges, and I once heard that CHF 35 (=USD 35) are charged per visiting guest, irrespective which airline the guest is flying with (also LX passengers cost the same price).

Regards,
Loran
703 717 727 732-9 747 757 767 777 787 AB2/6 310 318-321 330 340 359 380 D8M D91/3/5 D1C M11 M81-90 L10 IL1/8/6/7/W/9/4 TU3/5/2 YK4/2