caliboy93
Topic Author

White Plains airport (NYC)

Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:30 am

Will we see international growth from Westchester county airport north of NYC, and have transatlantic flights like at JFK and Newark?

WeatherPilot

Re: White Plains airport (NYC)

Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:36 am

HPN only has a 6,500ft runway. Anything flying over the pond is going to need something longer than that since they'll probably be loaded close to MTOW.

GalaxyFlyer

Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:41 am

A220-100 could probably do it, esp in all business class configuration. Would it be profitable?

GF

mysterzip

Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:42 am

I say this respectfully: no.
But hey, someone at PANYNJ wanted to waste its money and “rescue” Stewart. Who knows?!

Jerseyguy

Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:55 am

WeatherPilot wrote:
HPN only has a 6,500ft runway. Anything flying over the pond is going to need something longer than that since they'll probably be loaded close to MTOW.

Not likely to happen due to the ETOPS certification and other things needed but A220-300 only 6200ft needed at MTOW.
Webmaster of an unoffical TTN page see profile for details

asuflyer

Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:56 am

There is not much room at all left at HPN for additional flights, the airport runs at close to capacity.

airlinepeanuts

Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:21 am

I wonder though if their are people willing to pay a higher fare to fly out of HPN transatlantically to make it worthwhile.

Super80Fan

Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:26 am

Not going to happen because of the NIMBY's over in Greenwich. The only thing that has a "probability" of happening is CRJ flights being upgraded to the E175's or Delta bringing in A220's.
RIP McDonnell Douglas

GalaxyFlyer

Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:27 am

Super80Fan wrote:
Not going to happen because of the NIMBY's over in Greenwich. The only thing that has a "probability" of happening is CRJ flights being upgraded to the E175's or Delta bringing in A220's.

The NIMBYS in Greenwich don’t the proles and their commercial airliners clogging up their airport causing delays for the daily flurry of Gulfstreams and Globals.

GF

FlyHPN

Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:15 am

I would go out on a limb and say I am somewhat familiar with HPN.

It’s owned by the county and operated by a private company, AvPORTS, not Port Authority.

As mentioned, they are somewhat constrained by runway length. The property is surrounded by residential and commercial structures, so they also don’t really have the option to grow them. The largest aircraft they see today is Charter Delta 757’s that the Knicks and Rangers fly on.

It is also slot constrained mostly due to surrounding communities (Greenwich, Bedford, New Castle, etc.). The complaints have grown to much the county is about to conduct a noise study on the airport.

The terminal is also too small at this point to accommodate CBP facitilies, so it would have to be precleared.

I think the best we could hope for at this point would be a once daily A220 to LON (fails preclearance ides without a stop) in a J heavy config. Im sure the LF would be sufficient to be profitable.
I’m sure it would have a good LF, but not sure about yields.

Answer: nothing more than a dream.

PatrickZ80

Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:30 am

mysterzip wrote:
But hey, someone at PANYNJ wanted to waste its money and “rescue” Stewart. Who knows?!

Stewart is in a whole different position than Westchester County. First of all the runway at Stewart is much, much longer so it can handle basically everything. At Stewart, there is plenty of room for expansion and there are (almost) no restrictions. There are very few people living around the airport that would complain. Expansion needs to happen somewhere and if it cannot happen anywhere else, this is the place to do it.

All of this is different at Westchester County, which is heavily restricted. It cannot grow, neither in size nor in traffic. It'll always remain as small as it is. Besides, Westchester County airport doesn't have immigration facilities. That's another reason it cannot handle international flights, not even to Canada.

gunsontheroof

Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:35 am

mysterzip wrote:

This.
Picked a hell of a week to quit sniffing glue.

anrec80

Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:48 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
A220-100 could probably do it, esp in all business class configuration. Would it be profitable?

GF

Well, there are a lot of wealthy folks in Westchester County. If you configure J-only 221 with maybe 30 seats, who knows - maybe it will sustain a daily LCY.

GalaxyFlyer

Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:53 pm

Maybe, but profitable, doubtful. BTW, I’ve done plenty of HPN-LTN, HPN-LBG in a Global, load usually <5. IIRC, our department did HPN-DXB once, as have others there.

GF

Super80Fan

Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:47 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:

The NIMBYS in Greenwich don’t the proles and their commercial airliners clogging up their airport causing delays for the daily flurry of Gulfstreams and Globals.

GF

Yup, they hate the airport until they board their private jet.
RIP McDonnell Douglas

GalaxyFlyer

Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:39 pm

A good friend of mine flies a bizjet for a guy who lives just over the hill from the terminal at KHPN. He could almost walk to it from his house.

GF