SeaTacFan
Topic Author

What is (realistically) next for SEA?

Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:59 am

We know for sure SQ is starting in September (and, it sounds like MF ls leaving in September).

I see all kinds of possibilities posted in various threads here. However, since I'm not in the industry but am simply an avid aviation fan (especially when it comes to Seattle), I'm never quite sure what is a serious possibility and what is just on a wish list.

Suggestions I've seem posted are KL to AMS, TK to IST, PR to MNL, TG to BKK,, QF to SYD or BNE, and NZ to AKL. One thread from about a year or so ago said one of the top execs of LH Group even hinted at Austrian or Swiss. Again, I'm not making up any of these -- I've seen all of these throughout this forum at different times.

For those of you on this board who are far better informed than I am, what can you say about any of the aforementioned (or any others that I might not have listed)?

Thank you to everyone for your insight. I visit here every day because of a lifelong love of civil aviation. However, this is my first post. Thanks again.

sonicruiser

Re: What is (realistically) next for SEA?

Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:07 am

In order of most to least likely:

1. QF
2. NZ
3. TK
4. KL
5. PR
6. TG

BoeingGuy

Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:08 am

Welcome. I look forward to more good questions like the one you asked.

SEA is also my home airport; more accurately PAE is now my home airport. I share your interest in this topic.

It seems like SEA has absorbed quite a bit of new international service the past few years. I feel like it’s a bit saturated. My best guess for next new Asia service is CI SEA-TPE.

Not sure what is left and viable in Europe.

We’ve often discussed the next new AS destination. Quite honestly there aren’t many left that would work. Maybe DSM, RAP, or MEM.

AS adding MRY seems viable too, as does a return to LGB.

What are your thoughts?

YYZORD

Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:14 am

QF plans to add BNE-SEA & SYD-SEA in the near future. I also saw that PR has plans to add SEA very soon now that they have all their A350 fleet.

Karlsands

Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:20 am

More hipsters

jplatts

Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:26 am

BoeingGuy wrote:
We’ve often discussed the next new AS destination. Quite honestly there aren’t many left that would work. Maybe DSM, RAP, or MEM.

What are your thoughts?

AS adding SEA-CVG nonstop service might happen in order to better compete against DL in the SEA market. There are business ties between Greater Seattle and Greater Cincinnati such as the Amazon presence in Northern Kentucky and the Boeing-GE Aviation/CFM International business relationship to support SEA-CVG nonstop service on AS in addition to DL. The PDEW on SEA-CVG in Q4 2018 was 128 passengers per day, and over 38% of those traveling between SEA and CVG were connecting on airlines other than DL in Q4 2018.

While F9 has seasonal, less-than-daily nonstop service to CLE from SEA, the lack of SEA-CLE nonstop service on a non-ULCC is one of the biggest holes at SEA, and AS could add SEA-CLE nonstop service.

Even though AA already serves CLT nonstop from SEA, AS adding SEA-CLT nonstop service is a possibility as CLT is one of the top destinations traveled to from SEA that isn't currently served by AS. AS would also be able to connect passengers onto AA flights to the Caribbean and smaller regional destinations in the Southeast and Mid-Atlantic at CLT if AS adds SEA-CLT nonstop service.

AS could also add nonstop service to BDL, JAX, and ORF out of SEA as BDL, JAX, and ORF are three of the top destinations traveled to from SEA that aren't currently served nonstop from SEA.

SeaDoo

Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:30 am

Unless it is less than daily, I wouldn't count on QANTAS to do both Brisbane and Sydney anytime soon. Possibly one or the other, or less than daily service. My money would be they don't expand to Seattle anytime soon, but I would be happy to be wrong.

PlanesNTrains

Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:33 am

I’m no expert but I could see CLE, BDL, and CLT. BNE and SYD? Both?
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

BoeingGuy

Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:35 am

jplatts wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:

What are your thoughts?

AS adding SEA-CVG nonstop service might happen in order to better compete against DL in the SEA market. There are business ties between Greater Seattle and Greater Cincinnati such as the Amazon presence in Northern Kentucky and the Boeing-GE Aviation/CFM International business relationship to support SEA-CVG nonstop service on AS in addition to DL. The PDEW on SEA-CVG in Q4 2018 was 128 passengers per day, and over 38% of those traveling between SEA and CVG were connecting on airlines other than DL in Q4 2018.

While F9 has seasonal, less-than-daily nonstop service to CLE from SEA, the lack of SEA-CLE nonstop service on a non-ULCC is one of the biggest holes at SEA, and AS could add SEA-CLE nonstop service.

Even though AA already serves CLT nonstop from SEA, AS adding SEA-CLT nonstop service is a possibility as CLT is one of the top destinations traveled to from SEA that isn't currently served by AS. AS would also be able to connect passengers onto AA flights to the Caribbean and smaller regional destinations in the Southeast and Mid-Atlantic at CLT if AS adds SEA-CLT nonstop service.

AS could also add nonstop service to BDL, JAX, and ORF out of SEA as BDL, JAX, and ORF are three of the top destinations traveled to from SEA that aren't currently served nonstop from SEA.

LAX-JAX couldn’t even work. LAX-BDL and SFO-BDL have been on and off. As much as I’d like to see then, I doubt SEA could support those routes if LAX can’t, or marginally can.

Prost

Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:45 am

A while ago someone here thought summer seasonal SEA-FCO would be a possibility.

admanager

Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:48 am

I would guess nothing as exotic as mentioned above. Westjet to western Canada and maybe Toronto.
Really out there would be Westjet to the DTW suburb of Windsor (because there is no way DL would add a route from DTW) /S (Cabotage issues not withstanding)
AS did LAX to YYZ about 25 years ago (dismal failure) not sure why YYZ out of SEA wouldn't work today. Toronto is the 9th largest urban agglomeration in North America

jplatts

Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:07 am

BoeingGuy wrote:
LAX-JAX couldn’t even work. LAX-BDL and SFO-BDL have been on and off. As much as I’d like to see then, I doubt SEA could support those routes if LAX can’t, or marginally can.

While AA, DL, UA, and WN all offer 1-stop connections to BDL and JAX from SEA, LAX, SFO/OAK, and SAN, one big difference between SEA and California is that AS is bigger in the SEA/PAE market than in any of the California markets. AS frequent flyers in Greater Seattle currently have to connect on other airlines to get to JAX or BDL, whereas AA, UA, and WN frequent flyers in California already have 1-stop connecting options to BDL and JAX from the California markets served by WN.

There are a few Alaskan destinations such as JNU, KTN, and SIT that have nonstop service to SEA but not to any California destinations.

AS might be able to make SEA-BDL and SEA-JAX nonstop service work where others struggled to make LAX-JAX, LAX-BDL, and SFO-BDL nonstop service work since (a) there are some destinations that are served nonstop from SEA but not from any California airports, (b) AS would likely only be offering nonstop options on SEA-JAX and SEA-BDL whereas AA, DL, UA, and WN offer 1-stop connecting options to BDL and JAX from California, and (c) AS has a FF base in the SEA market that is loyal to AS to support SEA-BDL and SEA-JAX nonstop service.

DwayneStorkman

Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:29 am

What's next for SEA? More god awful misery for passengers...and more terrible concepts from Kathy Casey, who apparently has naked pictures of the Port board. How else can you explain a chef who's prior abominations at SEA get her even more outlets? ;-)

upperdeckfan

Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:33 am

AMS is already 2xdaily on DL, KL isn't going to happen as long as the JV stays in place.

LH group could happen, either LX to ZRH or LH to MUC.

MEX going to 2xdaily is also possible, either DL or AM.
764, 789, 732,733,735,737,738,739,
752, 722, 717,74M,DC10,DC9,M82,
M83, M87, M88,310,319,320,321,332,
333, 343, 346,359,388,L1011,CR2,
CR7, CR9,CRK, E175,E190,ATR42,
DSH8, CS1,CS3

PatrickZ80

Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:54 pm

More Norwegian is a possibility. Currently they only serve Seattle from London Gatwick, but they could open additional routes from their other long haul bases. Copenhagen, Barcelona, etc.