UA857
Topic Author

Will US Carriers stop serving Cuba due to Trump's recent Travel Ban to Cuba?

Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:34 am

With the recent Cuban Travel Ban will US Carriers UA, DL, AA, B6, and WN stop all flights to Cuba?
Last edited by qf789 on Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: spelling in title

flyiguy

Re: Will US Carriers stop serving Cuba do to Trump's recent Travel Ban to Cuba?

Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:41 am

Only Private planes have been banned, commercial airliners may still serve the country for passengers that don’t fall on the restrictive ban.

FLY
The opinions I post are of mine and mine alone, not of the airline I work for.

UA857
Topic Author

Re: Will US Carriers stop serving Cuba due to Trump's recent Travel Ban to Cuba?

Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:13 am

Isn't tourism banned in Cuba now?

DLPMMM

Re: Will US Carriers stop serving Cuba due to Trump's recent Travel Ban to Cuba?

Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:18 pm

UA857 wrote:
With the recent Cuban Travel Ban will US Carriers UA, DL, AA, B6, and WN stop all flights to Cuba?

There were flights by USA carriers before Obama eased the travel restrictions to Cuba, there will be flights by USA carriers now that restrictions have been increased again.

The demand and corresponding number of flights will likely decrease, but in no way will all the flights be eliminated.

enilria

Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:07 pm

UA857 wrote:

Tourism was essentially already banned. People were skirting the restriction by doing things like sitting through a tour of the water treatment facility so they could legally go to the beach. So sort of yes, but it was all sort of a joke.
DLPMMM wrote:
UA857 wrote:

There were flights by USA carriers before Obama eased the travel restrictions to Cuba, there will be flights by USA carriers now that restrictions have been increased again.

The demand and corresponding number of flights will likely decrease, but in no way will all the flights be eliminated.

I don’t believe scheduled service existed prior to Obama back to the Cuban Missile Crisis or somewhere around that timeframe. It was charter only.

ADXMatt

Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:11 pm

UA857 wrote:

With the new regulation "People to People" tourism is banned. Visiting family and a few others are still allowed. By losing P2P travelers the demand will plummet and airlines will eventually reduce service/capacity accordingly. AA will survive from MIA and other carriers from Florida .and maybe UA from EWR. All the other cities will most likely get axed, Those that remain frequencies will be lost and some will down gauge their equipment.

PatrickZ80

Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:39 pm

UA857 wrote:

Only from the USA, not from any other country. Lots of Europeans and Canadians going on holiday to Cuba. The travel ban only applies to Americans, however usually it's not enforced when Americans fly from a non-American airport to Cuba. You could fly from the USA to Mexico and then on from Mexico to Cuba. And if you're the holder of a non-American passport, you could fly an American airline to Cuba to go on holiday there. American authorities have nothing to say about that.

PatrickZ80

Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:43 pm

ADXMatt wrote:
With the new regulation "People to People" tourism is banned. Visiting family and a few others are still allowed. By losing P2P travelers the demand will plummet and airlines will eventually reduce service/capacity accordingly. AA will survive from MIA and other carriers from Florida .and maybe UA from EWR. All the other cities will most likely get axed, Those that remain frequencies will be lost and some will down gauge their equipment.

Funny to see that due to these restrictions American carriers are having trouble making Cuba work even with small equipment while at the same time European carriers are flying wide bodies to Cuba with good loads and are making profits on it. Only because tourism is banned from America but not from Europe.

VC10er

Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:33 am

enilria wrote:
UA857 wrote:

Tourism was essentially already banned. People were skirting the restriction by doing things like sitting through a tour of the water treatment facility so they could legally go to the beach. So sort of yes, but it was all sort of a joke.
DLPMMM wrote:
UA857 wrote:

I don’t believe scheduled service existed prior to Obama back to the Cuban Missile Crisis or somewhere around that timeframe. It was charter only.

It doesn’t matter what anyone thinks of Obama, at least to me, I couldn’t care less.
That being stated, when Obama said “With 50 years of the same EXACT policies and behavior between the USA and Cuba, and zero results, at least lifting the full ban and allowing flights could spur (no promises) change for the better” - made sense.
I had a Cuban boyfriend once, if there was even the smallest chance that the people of Cuba and Americans could break bread is a start. I’m 100% NOT a Communist, but I know enough that the people of the world have more in common than not. But, sadly it really never lead to a much better situation. A quote from “GoT”- “You make peace with your enemies, not your friends”

Yes, I know how naïve I sound. I am not naïve...But I’m an optimist!
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

UA857
Topic Author

Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:36 am

Anyone here going to Cuba anytime soon?

LostLuggage

Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:34 am

UA857 wrote:
Anyone here going to Cuba anytime soon?

Toying with the idea of going on my way home to the UK from the US in December. One-way prices aren't bad vs other Caribbean destinations with plenty of options from DC via ATL, MIA and IAH.

VC10er

Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:52 am

I am before, a full ban and end of all flights from the USA- I’m not sure how much time I have left though!
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.