irishpower
Topic Author

Why did UA chose CPT over JNB?

Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:21 am

Just curious as to why UA chose to launch service to CPT over JNB? I'm guessing there would be more business traffic to JNB.

Thoughts?

allegiantflyer

Re: Why did UA chose CPT over JNB?

Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:37 am

I would assume they are counting on traffic from the U.S. end of the route to make it work, and I can only imagine it’s a lot easier to market CPT to Americans over JNB

Noise

Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:39 am

JNB is a hot and high airport. These Ultra Long Haul routes perform better when they don't have restrictions placed on them due to the elevation of the airport.

Karlsands

Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:50 am

Money is always the answer

Thenoflyzone

Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:21 am

1. South African already flies non stop from NYC to JNB.
2. No one flies non stop from North America to CPT.
3. They will attempt to cater to the leisure crowd with the northern winter seasonal CPT run. Not the business crowd.

And yes, CPT is much more marketable to American tourists than JNB.
us Air Traffic Controllers have a good record, we haven't left one up there yet !!

BoeingGuy

Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:45 am

Karlsands wrote:
Money is always the answer

Thanks. I wouldn’t have guessed that. I’m sure the OP though UA started it for charity purposes. That why he asked a very valid question.

The next post is very helpful.

Your replies in quite a few other threads also were simply meaningless one or two word sarcastic responses.

What’s next for SEA? Hipsters. Got anything more than that?

Care to engage in some intelligent discussion on A.net?

usflyer msp

Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:50 am

JNB's altitude makes ULH flights operationally difficult. DL and SA both have weight restrictions on their flights from JNB to the US.

SCQ83

Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:08 am

Because American tourists.

RWA380

Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:28 am

Thenoflyzone wrote:
3. They will attempt to cater to the leisure crowd with the northern winter seasonal CPT run. Not the business crowd.

This exactly, UA is only seasonal on this route & would not be a reliable business route. That being said, CPT has many wealthy residents (think DeBeers retirees), we have good family friends that live there & their entire family worked in the higher ranks for DeBeers S.A. over their collective lifetimes, One moved & retired to Colorado.

I bet UA will garner the premium heavy demand to the USA during their season, even if it's off season here. United may have another well thought out success story with the 787. I hope it goes full year soon.

Question, how long does UA plan on keeping their aircraft on the ground in CPT? Part of the larger expense that DL incurs is that 777 sitting for 12-15 hours at JNB, that is avoided at CPT. SA can use their 346 & operate a regional return, with an early morning 8am out of JNB & return to JNB for the night departure back to IAD or JFK.
707, 717, 720, 727-1/2, 737-1/2/3/4/5/7/8/9, 747-1/2/3, 757, 767-2/3/4, 777-2/3, DC8, DC9, MD80/2/7/8, D10-1/3/4, M11, L10-2/5, A300/310/319/320
AA AC AQ BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WN WP YS 8M

Judge1310

Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:36 am

RWA380 wrote:
Question, how long does UA plan on keeping their aircraft on the ground in CPT? Part of the larger expense that DL incurs is that 777 sitting for 12-15 hours at JNB, that is avoided at CPT. SA can use their 346 & operate a regional return, with an early morning 8am out of JNB & return to JNB for the night departure back to IAD or JFK.

It's already been made public: an 1800h local time arrival into CPT with a 2050h departure back to EWR, thus 2 hours 50 minutes on the ground in CPT. A beautiful schedule on both ends, actually.

RWA380

Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:41 am

Judge1310 wrote:
RWA380 wrote:

It's already been made public: an 1800h local time arrival into CPT with a 2050h departure back to EWR, thus 2 hours 50 minutes on the ground in CPT. A beautiful schedule on both ends, actually.

Thank you, I missed it someplace upthread. You're correct, that is just about perfect, even if UA inbound is running late, they have about an hour cushion. I feel this add will experience a large success.
707, 717, 720, 727-1/2, 737-1/2/3/4/5/7/8/9, 747-1/2/3, 757, 767-2/3/4, 777-2/3, DC8, DC9, MD80/2/7/8, D10-1/3/4, M11, L10-2/5, A300/310/319/320
AA AC AQ BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WN WP YS 8M

Judge1310

Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:43 am

RWA380 wrote:
Judge1310 wrote:
RWA380 wrote:

Thank you, I missed it someplace upthread. You're correct, that is just about perfect, even if UA inbound is running late, they have about an hour cushion. I feel this add will experience a large success.

:bigthumbsup:

GRJGeorge

Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:27 am

RWA380 wrote:
Thenoflyzone wrote:

This exactly, UA is only seasonal on this route & would not be a reliable business route. That being said, CPT has many wealthy residents (think DeBeers retirees), we have good family friends that live there & their entire family worked in the higher ranks for DeBeers S.A. over their collective lifetimes, One moved & retired to Colorado.

I bet UA will garner the premium heavy demand to the USA during their season, even if it's off season here. United may have another well thought out success story with the 787. I hope it goes full year soon.

DL arrives from ATL at JNB at 17:35, and departs again at 19:55...that's 2hour 20minutes turnaround. Maybe an hour or 2 longer in JNB's summer season.

Slash787

Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:56 am

Well as a tourist I would go directly to Capetown over JNB any day.

MIflyer12

Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:14 am

'Go where the competition isn't' may be a compelling rationalization but a tourist-focused flight (seasonal, just 3x weekly) may struggle to get the high average fares needed for a ULH flight. I guess we'll see.

SurlyBonds

Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:15 am

UA is not in the habit of starting ultra-long haul routes that are low-yielding (i.e., that cater primarily to tourists).

Therefore, UA probably thinks there is an untapped business market in CPT, even if smaller than in JNB. After all, CPT is still an important city, not some backwater.

wn676

Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:13 pm

SurlyBonds wrote:
UA is not in the habit of starting ultra-long haul routes that are low-yielding (i.e., that cater primarily to tourists).

Therefore, UA probably thinks there is an untapped business market in CPT, even if smaller than in JNB. After all, CPT is still an important city, not some backwater.

UA is clearly catering to the high-yield niche tourist market. If they were going after an untapped business market, seasonal 3x weekly service wouldn’t be the best way to do it.
Tiny, unreadable text leaves ample room for interpretation.

evanb

Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:23 pm

1) They were offered incentives by the Western Cape Tourism, Trade & Investment Promotion Agency.
2) JNB has three daily flights to the US (two are non-stop, one with a technical stop), CPT has none.
3) UA only have the equipment capacity at the moment for a short seasonal service which better suits CPT's leisure market versus JNB's more diverse market.
4) CPT doesn't have hot and high operational constraint, JNB does.
5) UA already has substantial capacity to JNB through codeshares (via FRA, MUC, LHR, ZRH, IAD, JFK). It has far more limited capacity through codeshares to CPT (only FRA and MUC, and much is seasonal, rest already via JNB).

evanb

Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:28 pm

SurlyBonds wrote:

Agreed, although JNB dwarfs CPT for size and scale. That said, CPT is still a city of nearly 4 million people, with a number of large multinational businesses (e.g. Naspers, Old Mutual, Allan Gray) and many large national listed companies. It also has a lot of old money, both local and European immigrants.

zakuivcustom

Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:39 pm

wn676 wrote:
SurlyBonds wrote:

UA is clearly catering to the high-yield niche tourist market. If they were going after an untapped business market, seasonal 3x weekly service wouldn’t be the best way to do it.

I don't understand why people always just go tourism = low yield. You think those "typical" tourist just looking for lowest fare would have the time and money to visit South Africa?

For me, this is similar to why UA started SFO-PPT - niche high-yielding tourism. Alternatively, there's the seasonal HKG-CPT on CX also, fulfilling similar demand (albeit from Greater China instead of US).

At the end of the day, if all airline routes has to have massive business demands, no airlines would fly anywhere outside of a few megacities.
Free Hong Kong! Free China!

xtra1

Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:48 pm

I am sure it will work well for UA.
I do this trip from London, once a year. During the northern hemisphere winter season, BA has 3 direct flights a day from London to CPT (2 747s ex-LHR and a 777ex-LGW) All departing London at around the same time.
After arrival, the planes then sit idle at CPT for about 10 hours; then return to London.
(I am sure BA would have loved to use the A380 , if the airport was able to take that aircraft. )
The flights are jammed-packed and full of very high-yielding tourists/travellers.
Trying to buy a last-minute ticket from London is almost impossible ..and a return business class fare can be really exorbitant! (>£4000.00)
Last edited by xtra1 on Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.

nycilley02

Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:07 pm

Keep in mind that people can still easily use the flight to get to JNB via CPT. Connections on SAA are very reasonably priced. Personally, even if going to JNB from NYC, I would prefer to take the UA flight via CPT than the SA non stop to JNB on an ancient A340 with a J seat that is essentially a torture device.

evanb

Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:26 pm

nycilley02 wrote:
Keep in mind that people can still easily use the flight to get to JNB via CPT. Connections on SAA are very reasonably priced. Personally, even if going to JNB from NYC, I would prefer to take the UA flight via CPT than the SA non stop to JNB on an ancient A340 with a J seat that is essentially a torture device.

Having flown both SA A346 and UA B789 several times in business class in the last year, I'd still chose SA. And I say this as a UA GS member.

77H

Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:02 pm

wn676 wrote:
SurlyBonds wrote:

Agreed. This add seems similar to their SFO-PPT in that regard.

77H

stl07

Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:13 pm

SurlyBonds wrote:

They have said that publically that this route is basically for tourists
Interesting how every thread is spammed with "bring back paid membership, there are too many spammers"

stl07

Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:20 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:
wn676 wrote:
SurlyBonds wrote:

I don't understand why people always just go tourism = low yield. You think those "typical" tourist just looking for lowest fare would have the time and money to visit South Africa?

For me, this is similar to why UA started SFO-PPT - niche high-yielding tourism. Alternatively, there's the seasonal HKG-CPT on CX also, fulfilling similar demand (albeit from Greater China instead of US).

At the end of the day, if all airline routes has to have massive business demands, no airlines would fly anywhere outside of a few megacities.

Exactly. Low yielding tourists are taking Sun Country or Allegiant to Florida, not a South African/Polynesian/middle eastern/eastern European, ect (did I miss any others that a.netters always complain about) vacation.

There probably is some business that helped sweeten the deal though.
Interesting how every thread is spammed with "bring back paid membership, there are too many spammers"

BenflysDTW

Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:31 am

Exactly! That’s what Spirit/the other LCC’s are for. Sure, we may not expect yields to be out of the roof for this route, especially in the beginning as the route develops. This route won’t target those super price sensitive travelers who probably have never thought of going ro SA in the first place. It’s a niche route, and will have help from travel incentives, connections, people visiting family, and more. It will be great marketing for UA since they will again serve every continent. As long as United advertises the route in a unique way, I’m sure it will work out for them.