ZACH767
Topic Author

What is your dream aviation trip?

Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:19 am

What is your dream aviation trip? I’d always like to do those types of travel! Are you like me? :lol:
Last edited by atcsundevil on Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Non descriptive title

TheFlyingDisk

Re: What is your dream aviation trip?

Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:30 am

My dream aviation trip would be an RTW flight, with at least on the 747, either the -400 or the 8I (which I've never flown on before), flying to all 6 continents.

It would cost a bomb, though...
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

dredgy

Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:48 pm

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
My dream aviation trip would be an RTW flight, with at least on the 747, either the -400 or the 8I (which I've never flown on before), flying to all 6 continents.

It would cost a bomb, though...

I did it last year, not insanely priced at all. I eventually flew business class, which was $5500AUD, but I originally booked economy which was $2700AUD for the base RTW fare. I flew BNE-SYD-DEL-FRA-LIS-LPA-FRA-GRU; EZE-AKL-BNE with stops in all those places on a Lufthansa ticket. That was 4 continents on the base fare.
I added in a few more flights but only one to an extra continent (extra $500 from Las Palmas to Nouakchott to Casablanca to Lisbon plus an extra $200 for a flight from EZE-GRU).

So $3500 (and Australian pesos, not real dollars) for a 5 continent trip (that included a 747 & an A380). For the same price, maybe a little cheaper, Finnair also does a 5 continent fare - something like Sydney – Santiago – NYC – Helsinki – Paris – Helsinki – Hong Kong – Sydney. That'll include Qantas' 747 for now! Just choose a European city with cheap return flight to Africa and you're golden. Obviously if you're North American based you'd need to find an appropriate fare. If you're only looking at it for the aviation aspect and not spending a huge amount of time in each country, then that saves money too!

While it might be something to save for, it is a perfectly attainable goal! Just do it while the 747s are still in major airlines!

EDIT: My dream aviation trip is probably hoping around Iran/Iraq/Afghanistan/Azerbaijan ticking off older mainstream types.

PatrickZ80

Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:54 pm

dredgy wrote:
I did it last year, not insanely priced at all. I eventually flew business class, which was $5500AUD, but I originally booked economy which was $2700AUD for the base RTW fare.

Whatever you call "not insanely priced". Such amounts of money might not be that much to you, but they're more than I can afford. So for me it is insanely priced.

Looking at myself, I'm a bit of a low-cost geek. I always try to get as far as possible for as little money as possible. My dream aviation trip would also be a round-the-world trip, but as cheap as I can get it. I won't settle for average fare, being affordable isn't enough. It has to be the very cheapest. Not only does this mean flying economy (I don't mind, I don't give anything about luxury anyway), it mostly means flying LCCs and ULCCs on the days and routes that they have their lowest fares. The fare is leading to the destination.

I've often looked at this, but so far never done it. Crossing the Pacific always seemed to be a challenge, but with Southwest now flying to Hawaii that gap has been filled for a bit. I could take AirAsia from Japan to Hawaii and then Southwest further on from Hawaii to mainland USA. Probably the cheapest way to get across the Pacific.

TheFlyingDisk

Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:54 pm

dredgy wrote:
I did it last year, not insanely priced at all. I eventually flew business class, which was $5500AUD, but I originally booked economy which was $2700AUD for the base RTW fare. I flew BNE-SYD-DEL-FRA-LIS-LPA-FRA-GRU; EZE-AKL-BNE with stops in all those places on a Lufthansa ticket. That was 4 continents on the base fare.

If I can get an RTW fare for $2700 Aussie Dollars ex-KUL, I'd book it. But last time I checked, it costs $3900 which is an insane amount of money to pay for someone making $29000 before taxes.

I suppose I can check out my 747 desires flying on Korean to ICN. They're sending the -8 for Winter, and it only costs $500 Aussie dollars.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

dredgy

Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:26 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
I've often looked at this, but so far never done it. Crossing the Pacific always seemed to be a challenge, but with Southwest now flying to Hawaii that gap has been filled for a bit. I could take AirAsia from Japan to Hawaii and then Southwest further on from Hawaii to mainland USA. Probably the cheapest way to get across the Pacific.

You could probably get cheaper Honolulu to Australia on Jetstar at the moment if you are extremely flexible in dates. One way fares are as low as $180AUD. They’ve been running sales insanely often lately, but I haven’t checked details so their might be preconditions of an ex-AU departure, but I was able to find return flights at the sale rate when I looked the other day. I used to make a lot less money ($15k a year) and would just put $70 a week every week aside for travel come hell or high water (Is my non negotiable hobby) and I’d always have $3k at the end of the year and Use my tax refund for spending money. Every little bit helps.

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
If I can get an RTW fare for $2700 Aussie Dollars ex-KUL, I'd book it. But last time I checked, it costs $3900 which is an insane amount of money to pay for someone making $29000 before taxes.

I suppose I can check out my 747 desires flying on Korean to ICN. They're sending the -8 for Winter, and it only costs $500 Aussie dollars.

Just gotta keep an eye out! Oman Air used to have a lot of dirt cheap specials and Royal Brunei I’m sure still does, and once you get to the Middle East you have a great selection of planes to choose from! North Korea is accessible too for lots of weird aircraft types, though unfortunately no direct flights from there anymore. Or come here on Air Asia, Qantas is doing domestic 747 flights in October/November.

PSAatSAN4Ever

Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:08 pm

I came close to my dream trip two years ago, flying a Lufthansa 747-8 LAX-FRA on the upper deck in business class. Cost a fortune, but was worth every penny.

https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1405435&p=21057589&hilit=PSAatSAN4Ever#p21057589

My trip report. Awesome flight back home on an Edelweiss Air A340-300, non-stop from Zurich as well.

My current dream trip is to return to Germany on LH, flying the A340-600 to FRA (outbound) and returning on a non-stop from MUC on an A350. Sign me up now - I'll work my trip around getting those airplanes! Perhaps an entire month in Berlin?

SAN-LAX-Australia on Qantas and the A380, possibly with a return via New Zealand. Again, maybe NZ #18 via Raratonga, just to say I'd been to the airport.

I'd also love to fly to South America from TIJ, connecting at MEX to a 787 to Chile and Argentina. How many people in the U.S. can say their secondary airport is in a neighboring country?

I would love to visit South Africa, flying SAN-IAD on UA, connecting to SA's one-stop service to JNB, stopping one direction in Accra and the other in Dakar.

Austin787

Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:10 pm

My dream aviation trip: flying anywhere in a private jet

Closest I have come to a dream airplane trip: flying business class in a lie flat pod on a window side and with aisle access

stl07

Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:30 am

UA Island hopper

Also a private jet
Interesting how every thread is spammed with "bring back paid membership, there are too many spammers"

stl07

Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:31 am

Austin787 wrote:
My dream aviation trip: flying anywhere in a private jet

Closest I have come to a dream airplane trip: flying business class in a lie flat pod on a window side and with aisle access

have you checked out empty legs, or more practially, the airline that uses private jets for commercial flights, advanced air based in LA
Interesting how every thread is spammed with "bring back paid membership, there are too many spammers"

777Jet

Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:40 am

Something like:

SYD-AKL NZ 77W
AKL-PPT VT 343
PPT-LAX VT 343
LAX-HNL UA 753
HNL-EWR UA 764ER
JFK-FRA LH 748
FRA-BKK LH 343
BKK-SYD TG 744 HS-TGG

That was it a year ago. Not sure if the UA 753 / 764 still do those sectors and the VT 343 should be gone soon as the 787s enter.
DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388

atomicstar

Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:20 am

Definitely, my dream would be to fly on the upper deck on a 747. Preferably the 744 before they are all retiring. If not, the 748.

Another dream would be to fly in a private jet

acjbbj

Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:09 pm

SCL-AKL, SFO-CDG | MD11
EZE-PVG, BKK (DMK?) -DTW | B742
And domestic (US mainland only) on A343 or 722
Douglas Aircraft Company
Born: 22 July 1921 (Santa Monica, CA)
Died: 23 May 2006 (Long Beach, CA), age 84 years 10 months 1 day
You will be missed.

Seabear

Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:27 pm

A joyride to space in Sir Richard's Virgin Galactic SpaceShipTwo.

jumpjets

Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:20 pm

Doesn't matter what route or what plane but:

On departure no queue at baggage drop or for security
All the airport shops have been closed and replaced by lots of comfortable spacious lounge areas
A comfortable window seat with plenty of leg room [on the plane that is] with no one sitting next to me.
Food and drink is plentiful and delicious
The plane doesn't crash, or worse get delayed or diverted
No queues at immigration
My hold luggage arrives and is first on the carousel.

GalaxyFlyer

Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:43 pm

jumpjets wrote:
Doesn't matter what route or what plane but:

On departure no queue at baggage drop or for security
All the airport shops have been closed and replaced by lots of comfortable spacious lounge areas
A comfortable window seat with plenty of leg room [on the plane that is] with no one sitting next to me.
Food and drink is plentiful and delicious
The plane doesn't crash, or worse get delayed or diverted
No queues at immigration
My hold luggage arrives and is first on the carousel.

Pretty much describes flying on your own private jet. Heck, immigration comes out to meet you on-board; no security checks and food and beverage at your request.