guacamole
Topic Author

TWOV China Confusion

Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:17 pm

Hello,

I already booked the following flights, hkg-shanghai and then from shanghai to sfo with a layover in hkg for 2 hours.

Do I need a chinese visa in this case, since technically, my flight is hkg-pvg, then from pvg-sfo (with layover in hkg for 2 hours) so that would be going back to the same country again since im using hkg as a transfer point? Or can i still use the TWOV since techincally i am not actually leaving hkg airport on the way back, and that im actually going back to the usa just with a layover in hkg.

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by guacamole on Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

x1234

Re: TWOV China Confusion

Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:21 pm

See: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china/7 ... hread.html

"
To avail yourself of transit provisions, you MUST be travelling from country A, via China, to Country B (a 'third country').

-Hong Kong, Macau, and Taiwan are treated as separate countries in this case (special provisions apply to Shenzhen, where travel to the SARs is not permitted for TWOV purposes)"

So your TWOV via Shanghai from Hong Kong to San Francisco is fine.

guacamole
Topic Author

Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:24 pm

sorry for the confusion, the itinery is actually from hkg to shanghai, and then from shanghai to sfo (via hkg)

would the transfer point in hkg on the way back count as going back to the same country? or because since my final destination is sfo and not hkg, i would be eligible for TWOV since on the flight back hkg is just a transfer point

classicjets

Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:30 pm

Since your flight into Mainland China is from HKG and your flight out of Mainland China is also back to HKG, you are not eligible for TWOV. That you are continuing on to SFO from HKG is not relevant in this case.

alex0easy

Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:40 pm

As far as I understand, you can't fly back to the country/region you came from. What you do in HKG is irrelevant.
If you fly HKG-PVG-SFO, that's fine.
If you fly HKG-PVG-HKG-SFO, that's not fine. Neither is something like JFK-PVG-SFO.

RyanairGuru

Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:13 am

No.

HKG-PVG-HKG is not permissible. It is the port immediately before and after your entry to PRC that counts, that you are continuing to SFO irrelevant.

As an aside, assuming that these are two separate tickets you are going to need a lot of luck to make a 2 hour non-guaranteed connection in PVG. I would never, ever have booked such an itinerary.
Worked Hard, Flew Right