EK77WNH
Topic Author

Would you choose Exit Row over Window?

Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:25 pm

I just came back from a business trip to Shanghai. Although I could have gone nonstop from Boston on Hainan, I saved my company a fair bit by taking Air Canada BOS-YUL-PVG-YYZ-BOS.

My outbound 787-9 was Flight 011, FIN 838, C-FGEI. My inbound 787-9 was Flight 028, on FIN 843, C-FKSV.

I chose Seat 31A, although at the time I had no idea it was an exit row. So, for a 13-hour flight, I was happy to have that extra room and easy access to the LAV. But while it was technically a 'window' seat, 31A has no window.

So if you had the choice for a flight about that long, would you rather have an exit seat without a window or a window that's in a standard row?
Next Trip:
JAL 7-8 BOS-NRT-BOS, 787-9
September

Williamsb747

Re: Would you choose Exit Row over Window?

Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:30 pm

Window in a standard row without hesitation. The views are definitely a nice way to pass time and makes the flight much more enjoyable for several more reasons, and regarding using the lavatory, on flights under 8 hours I can usually hold it in as I don’t drink much, over 8 hours the person in the aisle/middle seat knew what they were getting into when choosing those seats.

sprxUSA

Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:32 pm

Would rather have window, with option to recline. Although exit is nice if shorter trip and on aisle. Speaking on no window. Sat center seat on AirTran ATL-SEA and asked person in A if "when you got your window seat, did you expect a window?" Lol. She said yes.
Gem State Airlines..."we have a gem of an airline"

AIRT0M

Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:33 pm

Definitely exit row. Don't care about the views (most longhaul flights I take are night flights). If it has to be economy, I'd rather have extra legroom.

EK77WNH
Topic Author

Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:01 pm

Anecdotally, I noticed that on the AC 787-9, the window-tinting is done uniformly throughout the cabin. I don't know whether passengers can override that or not. They only 'brightened up' at takeoff and near arrival.
Next Trip:
JAL 7-8 BOS-NRT-BOS, 787-9
September

BenflysDTW

Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:03 pm

Window view for sure. It bugs me that most pax don’t ever look out the window, it’s one then misr beautiful things the human eye can witness. It’s like only avgeeks and kids want to look outside...

ZBBYLW

Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:17 pm

I love the window.. but at 6'5" I would take the extra space for 13+ hours.
Keep the shinny side up!

Heinkel

Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:38 pm

For me a window is a "must have". Whenever possible I fly window seat only. For real long haul, I prefer J, even if I have to pay for it. Have travelled DUS-SIN-SYD and return last November with SIA in J. Including window. :smile:

A window is so much better than a video screen with a stupid Hollywood movie.

When I have to fly for my employer, I always try to get a window seat, too. Behind the wing on the side opposite to the sun. For better view.

9MMPQ

Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:55 pm

No issues with either the exit row or a regular row but in your case being that close to the lavatories puts me off a bit. I generally see a lot of people hovering around waiting, stretching or just hanging around to the point that any extra space on that particular row is just not so appealing anymore :D

EK77WNH wrote:
Anecdotally, I noticed that on the AC 787-9, the window-tinting is done uniformly throughout the cabin. I don't know whether passengers can override that or not. They only 'brightened up' at takeoff and near arrival.

I have noticed this on multiple 787 flights now & it's becoming a bit of a pet peeve. I'm told cabin crew can release back control but the few times i have asked you either get weird looks or are forgotten about. C'est la vie, but i sure liked to look at the outside world. I'll be on my first A350 pretty soon and look forward to regular window shades again :D
I believe in coincidences. Coincidences happen every day. But I don't trust coincidences.

aarbee

Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:56 pm

Usually Window.

But if it is a short haul flight, especially at night time. I might go for more leg room.
Love the AIXes

spacecadet

Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:47 pm

Exit row. And I have made this choice several times. I'm 6'4" so being crammed into a window seat in economy class for 13+ hours is my idea of torture.

I'd rather have a window than not, obviously, but if the choice is room to stretch my legs and the ability to get up fairly easily vs. having a seat pressed up against my knees and having to wake people up and make them move if I need to go to the bathroom, I will always choose the former.

On most ultra long haul flights, there's not much to see for the majority of the flight anyway.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

metaldirtnskin

Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:57 pm

spacecadet wrote:
Exit row. And I have made this choice several times. I'm 6'4" so being crammed into a window seat in economy class for 13+ hours is my idea of torture.

I'd rather have a window than not, obviously, but if the choice is room to stretch my legs and the ability to get up fairly easily vs. having a seat pressed up against my knees and having to wake people up and make them move if I need to go to the bathroom, I will always choose the former.

On most ultra long haul flights, there's not much to see for the majority of the flight anyway.

This... while I love looking out the window, I'd almost rather do it on a short Q400 flight where I'll be closer to the scenery. But I'm 6'4" too, and even if the view is great, I won't enjoy it much if my knees are in my armpits.

itisi

Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:39 pm

I fly economy so it would never be AC. These days it's mainly between Hong Kong and the UK... I take the 380 when I can and always an Isle seat
737-300/400/500 ... are NOT classics :)

AlnessW

Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:33 am

Window!
All windows, all the time...

acinvestigator

Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:18 am

Depends on length of flight and aircraft type. I was once moved to the window seat on the UA 744 exit row and that was horrible having the bottom part of the exit door taking up most of my leg space for 14+ hours. So, many things to consider but usually I'd take the exit row if it meant more leg room.

dredgy

Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:22 pm

Whatever has an empty seat next to me. I don’t usually find exit rows to be much more comfortable than normal economy seats when it comes to sleeping, and if it’s a bulkhead seat it’s often more uncomfortable (IE stowed in seat etc). On a short haul flight I’d take the extra legroom.

If I can get a row to myself, which I have nearly a 100% success rate on, I abandon my assigned seat in an instant.

Kno

Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:18 pm

Window for sure! That sucks that your seat was windowless - its happened to me before and I always check seatguru to make sure to avoid that!

VolvoBus

Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:35 pm

Some years ago, I flew LHR-KUL-MNL on MH. I think the seat allocations were made at the time of booking, and I got the same seat on both KUL-MNL and MNL-KUL ,a B737. On boarding at KUL ,I discovered that my window seat had no window at all !! so I was stuck with it on the return as well.

Checking in some months later at LHR on the same routing, I was allocated the same seat again !! Fortunately, after explaining the position to the clerk, she allocated me a different seat.

What are the chances of that happening ?

fsx98

Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:12 pm

100% Window Seat, hands down! For a red-eye flight that I've recently took, the window seat is very useful to lean your head on if you need some sleep for the next morning arrival; otherwise I love to take a peek out for beautiful views out and even film takeoff and landing videos while on-board (doing this for YouTube), especially with various engine sounds spooling up for takeoff!

Last time I got a windowless seat was on an AA B738 flight from ORD to MCO, simply because I forgot to check out SeatGuru; lesson learned - unless if I'm flying WN (open seating), I'll check on seating assignments via this useful app!

On my AA MD-80 flight to ABQ from DFW last August, I was almost certain to get the DMS (Dreaded Middle Seat), but paid $15 extra to get the window seat; may be wasting money, but there was a dead-heading co-pilot who was my seat-mate, making $15 worthwhile, IMO! In my preference, I would rather pay extra to get a window seat rather than sitting cramped between two strangers, regardless of flight duration.

Recently from my WN experiences, I was put on the C-Boarding group for my flight back home from Las Vegas (the worst boarding position); was certain that I wouldn't get a window seat, but there was a row where only the aisle seat was occupied, and there was room for me and my mom to sit where I snatched the window seat and my mom on the middle. In response to this, I spent an unnecessarily $20 for the Early Bird Check-in for my LAX-OAK flight last month; while at that time I managed to snag the A-Boarding group (the best boarding position), both my mom and dad also got the A-Boarding group, making the $20 a waste; though I find it useful just to snag the best empty row and save them the empty seats in case they have the B-Boarding group. So, back to the reminder for checking in exactly 24 hours before my future WN flight, then...

J343

Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:33 pm

Window bulkhead seats for me. I find exit row seats to be very narrow.

thaiflyer

Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:44 am

Always try to get the (aisle) exit seat and if not possible always a normal aisle seat.
I don't like to crawl over other people and want to be in control if i want to get up.
(Better they crawl over me then i have to do it myself)
Most of the time i sleep at least 75% of the flight. (normally a 12 Hr + flight)

aeromoe

Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:28 am

Window seat, no question.
AA AC AS BA BD BF BN BR BY B6 CO CP(2) DG DL EA EI EN FL FT F9 HA HP ICX JI JQ J7 KE KS LH MC NW OC OO OZ(1) OZ(2) PA PI PT QF QQ RM RO RV(1) RV(2) RW SK SM SQ S4 TI TS TW UA UK US UZ VS VX WA WN WS W7 XV YV YX(2) ZZ 9K

Webhostnews

Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:50 am

I love window seat exit seats are somehow I find narrow and I don't like it.