PSAatSAN4Ever
Topic Author
Posts: 762
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:38 pm

Cities/Metro Areas Underserved Compared To Their Population

Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:09 pm

As the title implies, what cities or metro areas are "underserved" compared to other cities in the same country or region?

I am leaving the reasons why out of consideration, because we can quibble endlessly over the economic bases of the region, the gravity of a particular larger metro area nearby, or the tourist draw of a nearby area. All of those, among many others, are the cause.

What I would like to see discussed are places that, although appearing "average" within a country or region in other ways, the amount of flights relative to its population size is significantly below other metro areas of the same population. Let's make +/- 100 miles to/from a major powerhouse airport the cut-off point, but allow for any region in the world.

For me, I don't think any metro area in the U.S. is more underserved than Bakersfield, CA (BFL). For a population of nearly a million people, service is x2 DEN, x1 SFO, x3 PHX, and x1 DFW. That's +/- 400 seats per day, total. Fresno (FAT) just up the road another hundred miles, has that many seats in the first hour.

Yes, I know that the reasons: BFL is caught in LAX's gravity like a meteor crashing into Jupiter (does any surviving airport have leakage at this level?), and the economic base is based on family-corporate farms and the oil business (boom/bust), but is there anywhere else that has a smaller population to available seat ratio?

Looking forward to your replies!!
 
Wednesdayite
Posts: 176
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:28 pm

Re: Cities/Metro Areas Underserved Compared To Their Population

Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:56 am

Flybe has improved things a little, but other than that, Sheffield and its South Yorkshire conurbation (roughly 1.2 million people) has been stuck with either holiday flights to the Med or a handful of crappy LCC flights to Eastern Europe. DSA has one of (if not the) longest runway at a commercial airport in the UK, yet the only scheduled long haul is an occasional TUI flight to Orlando.
A318/19/20/21/30/40. B717/27/37/47/57/67/77/87. CRJ2/7. ERJ145/175/190. FKR50. IL62. MD11/82/83/88. TU154.
AA AC AF AI AR AS AT AV AZ BA BW BY CO DA DL F9 FR JJ KL LH MA NW NZ OS RG SU TK U2 UA US VS WN
 
GalaxyFlyer
Posts: 3363
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:44 am

Re: Cities/Metro Areas Underserved Compared To Their Population

Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:05 am

What you’re saying is carriers are knowingly passing by opportunities to make money by serving these markets. Not likely, these markets are served to the level that can produce profitable pax count. They’re “underserved” because people choose other airports or not enough people choose to pay profitable fares.

GF
 
hoons90
Posts: 3534
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2001 10:15 pm

Re: Cities/Metro Areas Underserved Compared To Their Population

Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:03 am

Keihanshin (Osaka-Kobe-Kyoto) with over 19M population. KIX gets around 28M/yr, ITM gets 15M/yr and Kobe gets 5M/yr.
Taipei metro area with less than 10M sees more annual passengers at its airports than the Osaka area does. The lack of a major airline hub at KIX might explain part of it.
The biggest mistake made by most human beings: Listening to only half, understanding just a quarter and telling double.
 
User avatar
PatrickZ80
Posts: 3818
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:33 am

Re: Cities/Metro Areas Underserved Compared To Their Population

Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:17 am

A lot of Chinese and Indian cities might fall under this category, some of them have millions of inhabitants but are hardly known outside their countries. A city of that size in Europe or the USA would have a global hub airport, in China or India they hardly have any international flights at all.
 
TheEuphorian
Posts: 333
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:35 am

Re: Cities/Metro Areas Underserved Compared To Their Population

Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:31 am

Jakarta(20mil population) would fall into this category, barely any flights beyond the Middle East or even East Asia.
 
zakuivcustom
Posts: 2655
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:32 am

Re: Cities/Metro Areas Underserved Compared To Their Population

Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:28 pm

TheEuphorian wrote:
Jakarta(20mil population) would fall into this category, barely any flights beyond the Middle East or even East Asia.


Except it's not exactly underserved. Places like Middle East is where the big demand is (Foreign workers), along with a few cities in East/SE Asia (SIN, BKK, HKG, or maybe ICN/Japan) and Australia. You think GA is not trying to get their European long-haul going? But nope, they can only sustain flights to/from AMS due to the historical connection along with VFR demands. You also have SQ (aka Indonesia's true national carrier :duck: ) along with ME3 taking many of the Europe-Indonesia traffic.

Ultimately, CGK is still the 18th busiest airport in the world, hardly underserved.

hoons90 wrote:
Keihanshin (Osaka-Kobe-Kyoto) with over 19M population. KIX gets around 28M/yr, ITM gets 15M/yr and Kobe gets 5M/yr.
Taipei metro area with less than 10M sees more annual passengers at its airports than the Osaka area does. The lack of a major airline hub at KIX might explain part of it.


Keihanshin maybe somewhat underserved for long-hauls (although even that's improving, with BA coming back going to LHR along with DL going to SEA), but it has a fairly robust connection to airports in the (East Asia) region, and enough connection to rest of Japan that's not well covered by Shinkansen. Keep in mind a large part of domestic air demand is taken away by Shinkansen also, as Keihanshin is conveniently located in the middle of the Tokyo-Fukuoka corridor.

For example, HND-FUK has 50+ flights everyday, majority of them on widebodies (767/777/787, and soon, JL's A350); but OSA-FUK has 14 daily flights, majority of them RJs (J-Air E70/E90 + 1x CR7 on IBEX Airlines operating for ANA) or Turboprops (ANA's "beloved" Q400s), and is the route that JL/NH love to cut frequency on depending on seasons (especially out of ITM) to operate additional flights to other cities (i.e. OKA or CTS). City pairs like Osaka to Hiroshima? Shinkansen only. The region that's not as well covered by Shinkansen out of Keihanshin, but is well covered by Shinkansen out of Tokyo, would be Tohoku (Northeastern) Japan, which is sparsely populated for the most part outside of Niigata and Sendai (and not surprisingly, ITM-KIJ and ITM-SDJ are both fairly busy air routes).
 
User avatar
compensateme
Posts: 3279
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:17 am

Re: Cities/Metro Areas Underserved Compared To Their Population

Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:32 am

Based on pure population... The Inland Empire in CA. At current growth rates, it could pass Boston as the 10th largest MSA, right behind ATL, within two years. Yet the local airport (ONT) just topped 5M passengers last year for the first time in a decade.
We don’t care what your next flight is.
 
SCQ83
Posts: 5209
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:32 pm

Re: Cities/Metro Areas Underserved Compared To Their Population

Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:59 am

Zaragoza in Spain is interesting.

City: 666,880 people living within the city limits. Spain's 5th most populated municipal entity.

Airport: 489,064 passengers in 2018. Spain 28th busiest airport.
 
bfitzflyer
Posts: 280
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:02 am

Re: Cities/Metro Areas Underserved Compared To Their Population

Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:10 pm

Cairo is 20 million people and Baghdad 11 million people are pretty under served if you are just using population as the parameter. Throw in political situations and then it is obvious. Plenty of sub Saharan African cities fall into the same boat, Kinshasa, Lagos, Dar es Salaam, Luanda and on and on.
 
Ishrion
Posts: 886
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:17 am

Re: Cities/Metro Areas Underserved Compared To Their Population

Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:29 pm

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
As the title implies, what cities or metro areas are "underserved" compared to other cities in the same country or region?

I am leaving the reasons why out of consideration, because we can quibble endlessly over the economic bases of the region, the gravity of a particular larger metro area nearby, or the tourist draw of a nearby area. All of those, among many others, are the cause.

What I would like to see discussed are places that, although appearing "average" within a country or region in other ways, the amount of flights relative to its population size is significantly below other metro areas of the same population. Let's make +/- 100 miles to/from a major powerhouse airport the cut-off point, but allow for any region in the world.

For me, I don't think any metro area in the U.S. is more underserved than Bakersfield, CA (BFL). For a population of nearly a million people, service is x2 DEN, x1 SFO, x3 PHX, and x1 DFW. That's +/- 400 seats per day, total. Fresno (FAT) just up the road another hundred miles, has that many seats in the first hour.

Yes, I know that the reasons: BFL is caught in LAX's gravity like a meteor crashing into Jupiter (does any surviving airport have leakage at this level?), and the economic base is based on family-corporate farms and the oil business (boom/bust), but is there anywhere else that has a smaller population to available seat ratio?

Looking forward to your replies!!


Looks like DFW-BFL will go 2x daily.
 
PSAatSAN4Ever
Topic Author
Posts: 762
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:38 pm

Re: Cities/Metro Areas Underserved Compared To Their Population

Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:44 pm

Ishrion wrote:
PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
As the title implies, what cities or metro areas are "underserved" compared to other cities in the same country or region?

I am leaving the reasons why out of consideration, because we can quibble endlessly over the economic bases of the region, the gravity of a particular larger metro area nearby, or the tourist draw of a nearby area. All of those, among many others, are the cause.

What I would like to see discussed are places that, although appearing "average" within a country or region in other ways, the amount of flights relative to its population size is significantly below other metro areas of the same population. Let's make +/- 100 miles to/from a major powerhouse airport the cut-off point, but allow for any region in the world.

For me, I don't think any metro area in the U.S. is more underserved than Bakersfield, CA (BFL). For a population of nearly a million people, service is x2 DEN, x1 SFO, x3 PHX, and x1 DFW. That's +/- 400 seats per day, total. Fresno (FAT) just up the road another hundred miles, has that many seats in the first hour.

Yes, I know that the reasons: BFL is caught in LAX's gravity like a meteor crashing into Jupiter (does any surviving airport have leakage at this level?), and the economic base is based on family-corporate farms and the oil business (boom/bust), but is there anywhere else that has a smaller population to available seat ratio?

Looking forward to your replies!!


Looks like DFW-BFL will go 2x daily.


I saw that! I posted in the Dallas/Ft Worth thread that I happily had a breakfast of crow, as this flight is going to x2. I am still hoping and waiting for economic conditions to expand and possibly see AS to PDX and/or SEA (maybe even SMF?) as well as DL to SLC in the future.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: lesfalls, UpNAWAy and 18 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos