Veigar
Topic Author

B6 or WN?

Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:08 am

Are these airlines comparable at all? And if someone asks me which one is better / which one to fly, what would you guys tell them?

Personally, I've had great experiences with WN and on the west coast, WN is a much easier airline to fly than B6. And free bags. Other than that I don't know how to compare the two.

Thanks

Airstud

Re: B6 or WN?

Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:16 am

B6 has been more elegant & stylish from its inception.

WN's product is purposefully tacky & déclassé.
Pancakes are delicious.

Chemist

Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:11 am

WN is much stronger than B6 on West Coast; B6 is based mostly in the east.
They have two very different business models.
Contrary to the snide WN comment, WN compared to the legacy carriers has no bag fees, no FF blackout dates, better Y legroom, better crew service/attitudes (reliably), free snacks and drinks, no change fees, and a less congested boarding process.
I think that makes the legacies tacky and declasse.

Veigar
Topic Author

Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:04 pm

Chemist wrote:
WN is much stronger than B6 on West Coast; B6 is based mostly in the east.
They have two very different business models.
Contrary to the snide WN comment, WN compared to the legacy carriers has no bag fees, no FF blackout dates, better Y legroom, better crew service/attitudes (reliably), free snacks and drinks, no change fees, and a less congested boarding process.

Yeah, the free bags thing, and their overall much larger network is the main thing I bring up. I didn't know about the other things, thank you!

StrandedAtMKG

Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:02 pm

Airstud wrote:

This. B6 is classy and stylish. WN is what would happen if Walmart ran an airline.

ricport

Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:45 pm

WN is quite often more than B6 or the legacies, even with the bag fees thrown in. The only advantages I see to WN are no change fees (but I can't even remember the last time I needed to change a flight) & they often are the cheapest for last-minute travel (although compared to B6, it might be more of an even match). I know WN has their rabid fans, but with no seat selection, limited flights/routes outside the U.S., the chaotic atmosphere & staff that acts like you're more like a drinking buddy down at the local hole-in-the-wall rather than as a customer, it's allure is completely lost on me. IMO, if they could slap wings on a Metrobus, it'd be WN.

Chemist

Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:57 pm

I see it a bit differently.
B6 is sort of like Urban Outfitters. Kind of nice but limited in scope.
WN is like Target. Generally clean, good value, consistent.
Frontier and Spirit are WalMart.
The legacies are like Macy's. They sell upscale products, but you can't ever find anybody at the register and the service isn't very good.

KFLLCFII

Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:39 am

WN offers extreme travel practicality and flexibility at the most-basic fare level with *2* included checked bags, 1 carry-on bag, 1 other personal item, no change fees (pay the difference in any applicable higher fare or get full credit of unused fare, good for 1 year from original reservation date), no cancellation fees (get full credit of unused fare, same as above), and BYOD across much (or most/all?) of the fleet now. And I've NEVER found their overall out-the-door cost (ticket+same number of bags) to be more than the competition on the same route.

B6 offers...PTVs and trendiness?
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

zuckie13

Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:39 pm

WN. Love to be able to just say screw it, I'm not lugging my bag around the terminal so check it for free.
Also, since I live near BWI and JetBlue flies only to Boston, it's not that helpful to me.

tomaheath

Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:14 am

Chemist wrote:
I see it a bit differently.
B6 is sort of like Urban Outfitters. Kind of nice but limited in scope.
WN is like Target. Generally clean, good value, consistent.
Frontier and Spirit are WalMart.
The legacies are like Macy's. They sell upscale products, but you can't ever find anybody at the register and the service isn't very good.

You nailed it. Thanks!

TWA772LR

Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:08 pm

I love when people say SWA doesn't charge change fees. They just charge you the difference in fare. And as a former SWA CSA, those fare differences are generally higher than any change fare at an airline unless you buy an Anytime or Business Select ticket. :spin:
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

PSAatSAN4Ever

Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:01 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
I love when people say SWA doesn't charge change fees. They just charge you the difference in fare. And as a former SWA CSA, those fare differences are generally higher than any change fare at an airline unless you buy an Anytime or Business Select ticket. :spin:

You beat me to it!!

This is the number one reason why Southwest is my first choice, if it is possible. I have lost money on non-changeable tickets when my plans were interrupted, and not by things that insurance would have covered.

However, bag fees versus Early Bird Automatic Check-in: you're probably going to pay for one of them or opt out, so nearly the same cost.

Having said that, in the hypothetical scenario where both Southwest's and JetBlue's change policies were the same - whether free or for a fee - now you are looking at two different but still great airlines. Comfortable but full airplanes, snacks on both, GREAT crews on the ground and in the air,

In the air, I am a voracious reader - unless it's a REALLY long distance flight (like coming back from Europe), give me my snacks and leave me undisturbed with the latest Harlan Coben novel. In-flight entertainment is fine, and B6's system was great, but it's not a deciding factor for me.

Ironically enough, it's easier today to do one-ways with Airline A and a return with Airline B without huge penalties. A while back, my husband and I flew SAN-BWI-BDL on Southwest, visited people in Connecticut, Rhode Island, and Massachusetts, then flew B6 non-stop BOS-SAN (just to note: none of these flights were our first on either Southwest or JetBlue). All three flights were delightful, and we would eaterly fly either carrier again.

737tanker

Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:35 am

TWA772LR wrote:

But at the other airlines they also charge you the difference in fares in addition to their change fee. In some cases the change fee is more than the cost of the ticket.

trex8

Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:59 am

WN=Walmart
B6=Target

But I fly WN more so I dont have the change fees and free bags etc

maps4ltd

Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:05 pm

Chemist wrote:
WN compared to the legacy carriers has no bag fees, no FF blackout dates, better Y legroom, better crew service/attitudes (reliably), free snacks and drinks, no change fees, and a less congested boarding process.

I've never been a fan of the boarding process.
Delta Gold Medallion and Southwest A-List

Chemist

Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:45 am

Oh and WN has no beverage carts, so when you need a trip to the loo you aren't blocked by them. The drink and snack service is done by hand carry.

wv399

Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:15 pm

B6 IFE and FlyFi for the win!

flyingclrs727

Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:19 pm

Airstud wrote:

WN is functional. It is much more useful for getting around the US and getting from interior points in the US to either the east or west coasts. B6 is good for transcons, but living in in the middle between tthe east and west coasts of the US, I have never flown on a transcon. On a 3-4 hour flight, I don't need lots of services. I can either eat before or after the flight or bring my own food. The fact that all WN flights come with two checked bags means its very useful for getting friends and family around the US if they are carrying lots of luggage.

mandargb

Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:27 pm

For me WN works.
They don't have red eye (so I am not tempted to fly red eye)
On west coast they have very good network.

Veigar
Topic Author

Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:12 pm

mandargb wrote:
For me WN works.
They don't have red eye (so I am not tempted to fly red eye)
On west coast they have very good network.

One common thing brought up a lot is the much stronger route network, yeah.

stl07

Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:32 pm

B6 is better if you happen to be in the .5% of the country who actually lives and has a destination to an airport where they fly.
Interesting how every thread is spammed with "bring back paid membership, there are too many spammers"

AirportOPS

Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:22 pm

My home airport is FLL so a huge presence by both B6 and WN, used both quite a bit. I have Mosaic on B6 and used them the most as their network has served my travels well over the last few years, east coast to NE, trans-cons to LAX and SFO, Caribbean destinations for vacations. For quick work jaunts to cities that would be a pain to connect on B6, WN it is. My only knock on B6 after years of usage is they have a horrible connecting issue within their network. Unless you are connecting in JFK and a lessor extent BOS, you can't get there from here. Other airlines might route you to a random city to connect, but at least they give you the option.

Veigar
Topic Author

Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:26 pm

AirportOPS wrote:
My home airport is FLL so a huge presence by both B6 and WN, used both quite a bit. I have Mosaic on B6 and used them the most as their network has served my travels well over the last few years, east coast to NE, trans-cons to LAX and SFO, Caribbean destinations for vacations. For quick work jaunts to cities that would be a pain to connect on B6, WN it is. My only knock on B6 after years of usage is they have a horrible connecting issue within their network. Unless you are connecting in JFK and a lessor extent BOS, you can't get there from here. Other airlines might route you to a random city to connect, but at least they give you the option.

Is Mint only on specific routes? That's what I heard at least..