dfwjim1
Topic Author

Cash for on board purchases still accepted?

Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:46 pm

Are there any midsize to large commercial airlines that still accept cash for on board purchases? I know in the United States there are none but how about carriers in other countries?

VSMUT

Re: Cash for on board purchases still accepted?

Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:05 pm

Most European airlines only accept card, but I was surprised to see that Blue Air only accepted Romanian Lei on a flight from Italy to Germany once.

CrimsonNL

Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:31 pm

Doesn't pretty much any European airline still accept cash, apart from maybe BA?

Martijn
Always comparing your flown types list with mine

a320fan

Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:01 pm

I used cash on Wizzair 2 weeks ago.
A319, A320, A321, A330-200, A380, 737-700, 737-800, 777-200ER, 777-300, 777-300ER, 787-8, Q300

airportugal310

Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:02 pm

I saw people using cash on a Jin Air flight last month from ICN to NRT
I sell airplanes and airplane accessories

PatrickZ80

Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:03 pm

VSMUT wrote:
Most European airlines only accept card

Not true, cash is still very common on European airlines as it is in Europe in general. They also accept cards of course, but if you want to pay cash you can. The choice is yours.

The only European airline that I've ever experienced that doesn't accept cash is Norwegian. At least, their long haul division. No idea about Norwegian short haul. On Norwegian long haul you can order drinks and snacks through the IFE, pay with your card and have them delivered to your seat.

Ryanair, one of the largest airlines in Europe, is happy to accept cash in any currency. One day I was on a flight from Poland to the UK and I could pay with Euros despite neither of those countries use the Euro as their currency. They also took Pounds and Zlotys, whatever you could provide.

IAHWorldflyer

Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:34 pm

Sky Airline of Chile accepts cash for BOB purchases.

max999

Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:36 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
VSMUT wrote:

Not true, cash is still very common on European airlines as it is in Europe in general. They also accept cards of course, but if you want to pay cash you can. The choice is yours.

The only European airline that I've ever experienced that doesn't accept cash is Norwegian. At least, their long haul division. No idea about Norwegian short haul. On Norwegian long haul you can order drinks and snacks through the IFE, pay with your card and have them delivered to your seat.

Ryanair, one of the largest airlines in Europe, is happy to accept cash in any currency. One day I was on a flight from Poland to the UK and I could pay with Euros despite neither of those countries use the Euro as their currency. They also took Pounds and Zlotys, whatever you could provide.

Card acceptance is all over the place in Europe.

In the Nordic countries, cards usage is extremely high and it's accepted almost everywhere. Once, I bought fruit from a street vendor in Stockholm with my card! In fact, some bank branches in Sweden don't even carry cash.

In Germany, cash is still very much king. Many point of sales whether it's shops, cafes, bars, restaurants, etc will be cash only. In fact, you should assume an establishment is cash only; if they take cards then it's a happy surprise. Even if an establishment takes cards, they may only accept something called an EC card. EC card is a debit card system that I have only seen in Germany...I have never seen it accepted in any other country. In fact, Germany and Austria were the last two Euro-zone countries to stop issuing the 500 euro bill. Every other Euro-zone country stopped it because the 500 Euro bill made money laundering huge amounts of cash too easy.
All the things I really like to do are either immoral, illegal, or fattening.

VSMUT

Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:15 pm

max999 wrote:
PatrickZ80 wrote:
VSMUT wrote:

Card acceptance is all over the place in Europe.

In the Nordic countries, cards usage is extremely high and it's accepted almost everywhere. Once, I bought fruit from a street vendor in Stockholm with my card! In fact, some bank branches in Sweden don't even carry cash.

In Germany, cash is still very much king. Many point of sales whether it's shops, cafes, bars, restaurants, etc will be cash only. In fact, you should assume an establishment is cash only; if they take cards then it's a happy surprise. Even if an establishment takes cards, they may only accept something called an EC card. EC card is a debit card system that I have only seen in Germany...I have never seen it accepted in any other country. In fact, Germany and Austria were the last two Euro-zone countries to stop issuing the 500 euro bill. Every other Euro-zone country stopped it because the 500 Euro bill made money laundering huge amounts of cash too easy.

:checkmark:

Cash payment is quickly going extinct in the nordics. In Denmark fuel stations are allowed to refuse cash completely, some other shops can refuse cash payments at night. I'm pretty sure SAS refuses cash too. Sweden is also far ahead.

citationjet

Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:42 pm

I just flew BA last week LHR to ARN, and CPH to LHR. Credit cards only. BA charged for water, coffee, tea, sodas, basically everything.
Boeing Flown: 701,702,703;717;720;721,722;731,732,733,734,735,737,738,739;741,742,743,744,747SP;752,753;762,763;772,773.

BuildingMyBento

Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:30 am

Pretty sure Volaris (Mexico)

angusjt

Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:41 am

All 3 times i've flown Scoot (2014, 2016) they've taken cash.

Jetstar took cash when I flew PER-MEL 11 months ago and SYD-CHC in January

dstc47

Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:26 am

Aer Lingus accept cash, various forms, as well as credit cards.

Akiestar

Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:49 pm

5J (Cebu Pacific) takes cash as far as I know.

In Asia, it would be very hard to believe that airlines will go card-only like the U.S. given the relatively low penetration of credit cards. But even in the highest-income countries (Singapore, Japan, South Korea), it would be practical for them to carry cash.

max999

Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:16 pm

The other night on easyJet, I saw the crew empty the cash purses and manually count tons of Euro coins and bills. I saw coins spread out all over the galley counter. It was clear to me they were conducting the end of day cash accounting. I knew it was the last flight because the crew earlier announced all of the fresh food items were half price to get rid of the stock.

What a waste of time for the crew to do manual accounting. If the airline was card only, the accounting process would be automated. The crew instead could be doing something more productive like the final safety checks or cabin cleaning.
All the things I really like to do are either immoral, illegal, or fattening.