UAUA
Topic Author

Things to see/do in Christchurch, New Zealand

Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:47 am

I plan to go later next year. Any suggestions?
My former profile name was United Airline.

n729pa

Re: Things to see/do in Christchurch, New Zealand

Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:59 pm

Air Force museum just outside city centre (short bus ride).
Tranzalpine train ride to Greymouth and back through the alps.. very scenic. All day trip.
Antarctic centre nr the airport
City/area tour ...approx 3 hours from memory

5 years since I was there so they were still recovering from the earthquake then. But nice city and people well worth a visit.

Austin787

Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:37 pm

Botanic Gardens
Canterbury Museum
Quake City

vhqpa

Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:49 am

Can definitely recommend the Tranzalpine train. I did a day trip where I flew across to Hokitika, took a coach to Greymouth, then the Tranzalpine back to Christchurch. That was back in 2009. I'm not sure if the schedules still align so well now. If not it's possible to do a day return on the Tranzalpine.

I've also been to the Antarctic centre. It worked out well for us last time we went a couple of years. We had to drop our car off well before check in opened for our flight, so we checked our bags to a luggage minding service, walked to the Antarctic centre (about a five minute walk) Spent a few hours at the Antarctic centre before going back to fly home. It's quite interesting.

Other things worth mentioning are punting along the Avon or hiring a kayak if you prefer just next to the botanical gardens. And the Gondola ride up to the lookup to the south just before Lyttelton. There is a local bus you can take from the Central bus interchange (Route 28 I think?)
"There you go ladies and gentleman we're through Mach 1 the speed of sound no bumps no bangs... CONCORDE"

teachpdx

Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:35 pm

ChCh is still very much recovering from the earthquakes, even many years later.
The scars are still apparent. It'll appeal to geology buffs and dark tourists.

I'll add the Cardboard Cathedral to the list (aka Christchurch Transitional Cathedral).

When I was there a couple of years ago, we only used it as a start/end point for a drive around the South Island. You'll probably struggle to fill more than two days with activities is ChCh... we felt that two days was more than enough time.

Rent a car. Drive other places. If you visit ChCh without visiting other parts of the South Island, you're missing a golden opportunity.
Up Next: DL PDX-ATL-TPA | DL TPA-SLC-PDX | DI SEA-LGW | AF CDG-PRG | OK PRG-CPH | D8 CPH-LGW | DI LGW-SEA

FlyHossD

Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:19 am

teachpdx wrote:
ChCh is still very much recovering from the earthquakes, even many years later.
The scars are still apparent...

...Rent a car. Drive other places. If you visit ChCh without visiting other parts of the South Island, you're missing a golden opportunity.

The train to Greymouth and the Botanic Garden are must-sees. There is plenty of earthquake damage still.

Do not miss the rest of the south island! Fabulous sights and great people.
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.