x1234
Topic Author

How come KLM doesn't fly to Miami!?

Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:41 am

How come KLM doesn't fly to Miami!? I assume there is enough demand for a AMS-MIA flight. Or is the Miami market too dominated by OneWorld for SkyTeam to make an entrance and they just send the traffic on DL via ATL!? I know the used to operate the flight in the past. I noticed they launched Las Vegas this year, Miami must be higher yielding than Las Vegas as there's actual business traffic to Miami (cruises, Latin America, etc.)

Boof02671

Re: How come KLM doesn't fly to Miami!?

Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:42 am

Because they don’t see the need.

FlyingHollander

Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:44 am

KLM DOES serve MIA, albeit seasonally.

x1234 wrote:
Miami must be higher yielding than Las Vegas as there's actual business traffic to Miami (cruises, Latin America, etc.)

And how would cruises and Latin America generate business traffic for KLM?
If it ain't Dutch, it ain't much.

by738

Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:56 am

maybe its in a Delta clause for connections

76er

Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:08 pm

One word: Yields. There is more money to be made elsewhere, it is as simple as that.

SQ789

Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:31 pm

But AF still serves MIA.
If it's not Boeing, I'm not going!

Dominion301

Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:43 pm

FlyingHollander wrote:
KLM DOES serve MIA, albeit seasonally.

x1234 wrote:
Miami must be higher yielding than Las Vegas as there's actual business traffic to Miami (cruises, Latin America, etc.)

And how would cruises and Latin America generate business traffic for KLM?

I think the thread title needs to be changed to "How come KLM doesn't fly to Miami year-round?"

A388

Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:45 pm

As mentioned already, KL does fly to MIA but seasonally. As to having a business case to MIA because of Latin America, where is that business case? AA is too dominant on that market with their big hub in MIA and AV also has a big presence their from MIA. What presence does the SkyTeam Alliance have in MIA? Practically none. KL will be better off in ATL for connections to Latin America through the DL hub in ATL. Sky Team has so far been weak to Latin America, connection wise. However, KL does fly to the big cities in South America themselves (BOG, GRU, EZE, SCL,LIM,UIO, PBM etc).

A388

eal

Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:52 pm

As others have said KLM does serve Miami but seasonally, they have no need to serve Miami year round given their own expansive LatAm network and the large presence of their sister airline AF in Miami, it also should be noted that MIA is served year round from AMS by TUI so it's not like the market is underserved either

Jetty

Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:03 pm

x1234 wrote:

The Dutch like cruises way less than the average westerner; KL itself has a expansive network in Latin America from AMS allowing for 1-stop connections to everywhere in South-America without transferring in MIA.
A388 wrote:
Sky Team has so far been weak to Latin America, connection wise. However, KL does fly to the big cities in South America themselves (BOG, GRU, EZE, SCL,LIM,UIO, PBM etc).

Copa, GOL, Aerolineas Argentinas and Aeromexico provide good connections.

MIAFLLPBIFlyer

Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:12 pm

They've come and gone through the years. Very frustrating actually from our local perspective. This is the third time I believe KLM has flown to Miami after discontinuing service but they've reduced current service to seasonal.

Cointrin330

Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:22 pm

A388 wrote:
As mentioned already, KL does fly to MIA but seasonally. As to having a business case to MIA because of Latin America, where is that business case? AA is too dominant on that market with their big hub in MIA and AV also has a big presence their from MIA. What presence does the SkyTeam Alliance have in MIA? Practically none. KL will be better off in ATL for connections to Latin America through the DL hub in ATL. Sky Team has so far been weak to Latin America, connection wise. However, KL does fly to the big cities in South America themselves (BOG, GRU, EZE, SCL,LIM,UIO, PBM etc).

A388

AA is no more dominant in MIA as KL is in AMS and AF is in CDG. These are airline hubs, simply put and how they operate. KL flies AMS-MIA seasonally. AF is year round. AA doesn't fly MIA-AMS.

jfk777

Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:28 pm

KLM complains about MIA but BA, IB, LH, SWISS and Virgin seem to have made it work for decades, so why is KLM different ? KLM flies to many US cities yearly.

factsonly

Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:32 pm

A388 wrote:
Sky Team has so far been weak to Latin America, connection wise.

A388

Excuse me !!

Skyteam weak to Latin America.....from where?

1. Skyteam's AF/KLM is a leading carrier in EU-Latin America traffic - see this 2014 article. Sorry for the date, but the principles have not changed much since.
"The clear leaders are Air France-KLM, with a 22% share of seats, followed by IAG with 19%. The Lufthansa Group is pushed into fourth place by TAP Portugal, reflecting the strength of the latter’s Brazilian network. The European Big Three have 48% between them".

https://centreforaviation.com/analysis/ ... ges-187145

2. Skyteam has no interest what-so-ever in MIA as a stop for its EU-Latin America services.

3. Miami plays no role in Europe-Latin America (possibly smaller destinations in Central America).
However.........remember Skyteam/KLM is opening routes such as AMS-Liberia in Costa Rica 4x weekly with B789 this winter, in addition to operating 6x weekly AMS-Cartagena on B789.

Jetty

Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:41 pm

jfk777 wrote:
KLM complains about MIA but BA, IB, LH, SWISS and Virgin seem to have made it work for decades, so why is KLM different ? KLM flies to many US cities yearly.

BA and IB profit from the AA hub. The others from more local tourist demand. Dutch people mostly go to the Dutch Caribbean islands when on a westbound tropical holiday.

Ronaldo747

Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:45 pm

I think there could be some effects on their caribbean destinations if they boost capacity and goes year-round.

x1234
Topic Author

Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:46 pm

flyinghollander, I mean't that Miami is the business centre of the Americas for finance, trade, etc. Also TUI Netherlands doesn't fly AMS-MIA right now.

Miami

Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:49 pm

MIAFLLPBIFlyer wrote:
they've reduced current service to seasonal.

Not true. Current service was always seasonal.
Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible. - Eddie Rickenbacker

Blerg

Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:51 pm

I see that AMS-MEX is operated two times per day, maybe that is how KL covers Latin America? Isn't connecting via US a hassle anyway and it requires a transit visa?

FlyingHollander

Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:54 pm

Jetty wrote:
The Dutch like cruises way less than the average westerner

Also, cruise travel is split between MIA and FLL. And the one cruise line that has a higher proportion of Dutch, Holland America, sails from FLL, not MIA.

It is not uncommon for my father to (dis)embark in Fort Lauderdale. I would say 2/3 of the time he flies to/from FLL (most recently via PHL and DTW) and only 1/3 of the time to/from MIA (most recently via CDG and FRA). Of the 800+ crew only about 5 get to fly business for long-haul. All the others fly economy on whoever is cheapest, there doesn't seem to be any loyalty to a particular airline. They don't fly LCC's though.

The Dutch aren't known for splurging, so Dutch cruise passengers will likely book flights similarly.

oldannyboy

Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:54 pm

I seem to remember that years ago MIA was served by MP on their behalf?..

FlyingHollander

Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:02 pm

x1234 wrote:
flyinghollander, I mean't that Miami is the business centre of the Americas for finance, trade, etc. Also TUI Netherlands doesn't fly AMS-MIA right now.

This may be the case for intra-(Latin)America, but that is of no/little interest for AMS, KLM or Europe for that matter. Miami just doesn't have the same role to Europe as it does to Latin America.

ojjunior

Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:32 pm

A388 wrote:
However, KL does fly to the big cities in South America themselves (BOG, GRU, EZE, SCL,LIM,UIO, PBM etc)

+GIG
+FOR

dcajet

Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:26 pm

x1234 wrote:

The above statement does not hold true for deep South America (Argentina, Brazil & Chile). It may be so for the Caribbean, Central and Northern South America countries.
"Unattended children will be given espresso and a free kitten"

PatrickZ80

Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:13 pm

jfk777 wrote:

Maybe because they face competition on this route from TUI while on a lot of other American destinations KLM is the only airline serving it from Amsterdam. Miami doesn't see much business traffic from the Netherlands, it's mostly a tourist destination. Tourists are more likely to fly TUI instead of KLM.

Besides, KLM does serve Miami year-round one-stop through their partner Air France.

CrimsonNL

Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:05 pm

oldannyboy wrote:

At the time MP was an independent airline with their own network. Though they were eventually acquired by KLM (after which their pax ops were discontinued), I don't believe they ever flew on behalf of KLM.

Martijn
Always comparing your flown types list with mine

OB1504

Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:41 am

Pretty sure I’ve sent fuelers to a KLM A330 in Miami...

They fly AMS-MIA in the winter.

oldannyboy

Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:26 am

CrimsonNL wrote:
oldannyboy wrote:

At the time MP was an independent airline with their own network. Though they were eventually acquired by KLM (after which their pax ops were discontinued), I don't believe they ever flew on behalf of KLM.

Martijn

They actually DID fly for KL, at one given time or another including to San Francisco, Vancouver and maybe San Diego too?

Jetty

Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:46 pm

Miami wrote:
MIAFLLPBIFlyer wrote:

Both not true. KL MIA flights are bookable for this december. As are DL MCO flights btw, only TPA is seasonal.

Miami

Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:07 pm

Jetty wrote:
Miami wrote:
MIAFLLPBIFlyer wrote:

Both not true. KL MIA flights are bookable for this december. As are DL MCO flights btw, only TPA is seasonal.

What are you talking about? I said KLM started off seasonal and has stayed that way this entire time.

Also, flights are bookable from October 27.
Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible. - Eddie Rickenbacker

Apprentice

Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:13 am

CrimsonNL wrote:
oldannyboy wrote:

Martijn

Congrats! Outstanding memory!
It finished some years ago (around 2007.) when last B767 -3, with plenty of flight hours on their history, stop flying to many places
Where are this planes now? Bought by Eastern Airlines?

(Thanks God, A Mechanic)
Rgds
“An4; IL18; IL6; Tu5; D10; MD11; MD83; B32; B34: B37; B744; B748; B752; B763; B772; B773; B77W; A320; A332; A333; A342; A343.
"A NO" is a positive answer., "DON'T KNOW" is not. My Tutor (a wise man)
“CUBANA” 90 years Flying”

76er

Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:32 pm

Apprentice wrote:
Where are this planes now?

I think most of the ex MP763s were scrapped as they ran out of airframe hours.