oldannyboy
Topic Author

$1500.00 not enough to switch seats in Y!

Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:19 pm

https://onemileatatime.com/cam-newton-seat-change/

I must congratulate the anonymous man for not falling prey to the 'money can buy everything' equation! Gotta love his reaction. And BTW, $1500.00 is really not a lot.

FlyingVan

Re: $1500.00 not enough to switch seats in Y!

Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:30 pm

While not a lot, I would have taken the $1500 in a heartbeat.

catiii

Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:31 pm

oldannyboy wrote:

I must congratulate the anonymous man for not falling prey to the 'money can buy everything' equation! Gotta love his reaction. And BTW, $1500.00 is really not a lot.

$1500 probably would have paid for the roundtrip, plus you get the story to tell forever of Cam Newton buying your seat from you.

TheFlyingDisk

Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:39 pm

oldannyboy wrote:
And BTW, $1500.00 is really not a lot.

Only if you're an American, a citizen of any other Western country, Japan or Singapore. If it was me I'd take it in a heartbeat, since that's basically 2/3 my basic salary.

The question is, why didn't AA offer him an open seat in Business for a fee? It can't be that the flight was fully booked?
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

airbazar

Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:44 pm

From Paris to Dallas I might have only because it's a daytime flight. I'm not sure I would have taken it if it was a red-eye. I don't mind too much flying middle seat when I'm surrounded by my family but with strangers it's a different story and if the guy next to is 6'5", 245lbs he's most likely going to spill into my seat.
As for the other point mentioned in the article, about finding volunteers to take $700 in vouchers that's always a no. Vouchers are worthless for those of us non frequent fliers. Cash only and an upgrade on the next flight is the minimum I'll ever volunteer for.
TheFlyingDisk wrote:
Only if you're an American, a citizen of any other Western country, Japan or Singapore. If it was me I'd take it in a heartbeat, since that's basically 2/3 my basic salary

Actually I find that Americans are far more driven by money that just about everyone else in the world, especially Europeans. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if the guy who rejected the offer was an European.

spinotter

Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:53 pm

catiii wrote:
oldannyboy wrote:

$1500 probably would have paid for the roundtrip, plus you get the story to tell forever of Cam Newton buying your seat from you.

Sorry, I never heard of Cam Newton so that would be no inducement for me. And who has heard of Cam Newton?

Loew

Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:54 pm

airbazar wrote:
From Paris to Dallas I might have only because it's a daytime flight. I'm not sure I would have taken it if it was a red-eye. I don't mind too much flying middle seat when I'm surrounded by my family but with strangers it's a different story and if the guy next to is 6'5", 245lbs he's most likely going to spill into my seat.
As for the other point mentioned in the article, about finding volunteers to take $700 in vouchers that's always a no. Vouchers are worthless for those of us non frequent fliers. Cash only and an upgrade on the next flight is the minimum I'll ever volunteer for.
TheFlyingDisk wrote:
Only if you're an American, a citizen of any other Western country, Japan or Singapore. If it was me I'd take it in a heartbeat, since that's basically 2/3 my basic salary

Actually I find that Americans are far more driven by money that just about everyone else in the world, especially Europeans. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if the guy who rejected the offer was an European.

If that guy was European, they should have offered him coffee and a smoking area :D

My apologies to anyone offended by steretype above.

fallap

Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:56 pm

For 1,500$ they could trap me underneath the wing.
Ex grease monkey buried head to toe inside an F-16M
Now studying Political Science

Elementalism

Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:56 pm

I'd take it if he had 1500 cash on him. I'd be leary if he said I will send you cash or a check later.

vhtje

Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:14 pm

For me, it depends upon how I was approached. It's hard to tell in the video, but it looks like it was a pleasant and polite exchange. But if the person asking me was at all belligerent, rude or completely in lacking grace, I would refuse their request irrespective of how much they offered.

But like I said, in the video is looks like Mr Newton was polite so perhaps the person in the exit row really appreciated their legroom.

I agree Mr Newton could have been better served by AA in this instance.
I only turn left when boarding aircraft. Well, mostly. All right, sometimes. OH OKAY - rarely.

catiii

Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:16 pm

spinotter wrote:
catiii wrote:
oldannyboy wrote:

Sorry, I never heard of Cam Newton so that would be no inducement for me. And who has heard of Cam Newton?

He's one of the 50 most famous athletes in the world, so tens of millions of people...

catiii

Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:16 pm

vhtje wrote:

How so?

airportugal310

Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:21 pm

spinotter wrote:
catiii wrote:
oldannyboy wrote:

You always seem to come into these threads either feigning you don't know who anyone is or what anything is (social media related, usually...)

Methinks that since you spend time on the internet (you post here, after all) that you'd be a little more in tune with the outside world.
I sell airplanes and airplane accessories

vhtje

Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:26 pm

catiii wrote:
vhtje wrote:

How so?

I meant given a better routing option that would have preserved his paid cabin, for example perhaps BA to LON then AA to CLT.

the points guy wrote:
I think this is probably a good time to mention that there’s almost certainly another way he could have crossed the Atlantic in business class that day, so a little bit of research may have gone a long way. I’m guessing that was just the only way American could get him there, or more accurately, the only way an American representative claimed they could get him there
I only turn left when boarding aircraft. Well, mostly. All right, sometimes. OH OKAY - rarely.

airbazar

Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:27 pm

catiii wrote:
He's one of the 50 most famous athletes in the world, so tens of millions of people...

In the world inside U.S. borders only. Ask anyone else in Europe or Asia to identify his picture and I doubt you'd find much success.
Even Tom Brady is better known outside the U.S. as Gisele's husband.

oldannyboy
Topic Author

Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:31 pm

spinotter wrote:
catiii wrote:
oldannyboy wrote:

Well for starters I hadn't and had to google him up. And still I wouldn't give a flying f*** about him. Don't care much about celebrities meself!

airbazar

Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:32 pm

catiii wrote:
vhtje wrote:

How so?

Hard to tell without knowing which AA flight he was on. If it was the last flight departing CDG at 3:25p, there aren't a lot of choices after that. What I don't understand is why a guy that makes that much money didn't walk up to another airline and bought himself a better seat.

Austin787

Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:36 pm

1) Was the exit row person seated next to his companions?

2) Did Cam show actual cash or did he just say I'll send you the $1500 later - basically a verbal IOU?

3) What was Cam's original seat? If a middle seat, I can understand wanting to stay put.

oldannyboy
Topic Author

Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:36 pm

catiii wrote:
spinotter wrote:
catiii wrote:

I suggest you get out of you US-centric bubble my friend, I really had no idea despite following sports at international level. Most people outside the US don't give a toss about American Football or the NFL, get over it.

nehalem

Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:43 pm

airbazar wrote:
catiii wrote:
vhtje wrote:

How so?

Hard to tell without knowing which AA flight he was on. If it was the last flight departing CDG at 3:25p, there aren't a lot of choices after that. What I don't understand is why a guy that makes that much money didn't walk up to another airline and bought himself a better seat.

That question is answered in the 2nd paragraph of the article.

Apparently he was supposed to fly from Paris to Charlotte in American business class but missed his flight, and the only other option to get him home was to fly American from Paris to Dallas in economy.

Seabear

Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:04 pm

I'd have held out for substantially more than $1500... that's chump change for Cam ($118m contract and all).

ctrabs0114

Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:05 pm

Based on the replies, it sounds like Newton was booked on AA787 CDG-CLT (which, ironically enough, uses an A332) and ended up on AA23 CDG-DFW (basing this off a check of FlightAware) - which actually was on a 787-9.

And, sorry, I don't care who's offering me money to move, if I've booked a flight in premium or business, I darn sure am not giving up my seat.
2019: DAL, MCI, PHX, LAS, DFW, SAT, ORD, SLC, SEA, DTW; B73G (WN x3), B738 (WN, AA, DL), A20N (NK), MD83 (AA), B788 (AA x2), CS1 (DL), 739 (DL), 712 (DL)
Next: AA: DFW-PHL (752), PHL-MIA (763), MIA-LAX (77W), LAX-DFW (789)

OA940

Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:13 pm

I'm sorry, 1500$ isn't a lot? That's more than the average salary in Greece... Some people man.
A350/CSeries = bae

bob75013

Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:18 pm

spinotter wrote:
catiii wrote:
oldannyboy wrote:

Anyone who is conversant in American Profesional Football.

Kno

Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:41 pm

spinotter wrote:
catiii wrote:
oldannyboy wrote:

Anyone who watches American football is familiar with him, so tens of millions of people at least.

Regardless of whether or not $1500 is a lot, it depends who you ask, but for me it is and I'd take it. I'd imagine I'd have to make a minimum of 150k plus for $1500 to not be a lot.

For those saying he should have offered more cash, perhaps that's all he had on him?

wingman

Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:35 pm

I guess he had to be somewhere at a fixed time because he and/or AA and/or the executive travel service he must surely use could've done quite a lot from Paris to Dallas in business (between AA and IAG via LHR, MAD, and FRA alone there must've been at least 5-6 other options that would've landed in Dallas within 5 hrs). Then again, seeing the world through the perspective of regular fans is probably a healthy thing for any grossly overpaid athlete. I hope he walked off that plane with a new resistance to complaining, about anything really.

catiii

Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:36 pm

airbazar wrote:
catiii wrote:

In the world inside U.S. borders only. Ask anyone else in Europe or Asia to identify his picture and I doubt you'd find much success.
Even Tom Brady is better known outside the U.S. as Gisele's husband.

It’s a global ranking. Go argue about their Methodist with them (and you can read their methodology)

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/ ... g-athletes

People need to argue over anything. The fact of the matter is, the post I was responding to asked who had ever heard of Cam Newton. I responded with facts.

catiii

Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:38 pm

oldannyboy wrote:
catiii wrote:
spinotter wrote:

I suggest you get out of you US-centric bubble my friend, I really had no idea despite following sports at international level. Most people outside the US don't give a toss about American Football or the NFL, get over it.

I don’t need to be US centric to know that tens of millions of people know who he is. Relax champ.

ER757

Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:05 pm

spinotter wrote:
catiii wrote:
oldannyboy wrote:

Whether or not you've ever heard of someone should be irrelevant in the context of the question posed - if someone (whether you know who he was or not) offered you that sum to switch seats, would you do so?
How does whether you've heard of Cam Newton or not affect your answer? Or are you just being daft?

spinotter

Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:50 pm

ER757 wrote:
spinotter wrote:
catiii wrote:

Whether or not you've ever heard of someone should be irrelevant in the context of the question posed - if someone (whether you know who he was or not) offered you that sum to switch seats, would you do so?
How does whether you've heard of Cam Newton or not affect your answer? Or are you just being daft?

I might or might not take the $1500. As someone said upstream in this thread, it would depend on the person's approach. As for Cam Newton, it just astonishes me that someone would brandish his name as something that every reader would recognize and as an inducement to make the trade. Never heard of him before this thread and I'm sure that's true of many here on a.net.

dragon6172

Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:09 pm

catiii wrote:

It’s a global ranking. Go argue about their Methodist with them (and you can read their methodology)

People need to argue over anything. The fact of the matter is, the post I was responding to asked who had ever heard of Cam Newton. I responded with facts.

You link a 2 year old article. He doesnt make top 100 in 2019.
http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/ ... e-100-2019
Phrogs Phorever

spacecadet

Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:55 pm

oldannyboy wrote:

We're talking about a US athlete on a US airline (that's actually *called* "American Airlines", no less) to a US destination. It is an actual news story that you yourself linked to. It is something that other passengers shot video of, and not *after* they heard him offer $1,500 (in other words, that's not why they were filming - they were filming because it was Cam Newton).

I think it's pretty irrelevant whether a person somewhere else hasn't heard of Cam Newton. Clearly a lot of people have or there a) probably wouldn't be a news story at all, and b) if there was, would be titled "Random Guy Offers Other Random Guy $1,500 for his Seat"... which, nah. Wouldn't be a news story.

This would be like me posting video of some famous European soccer star, claiming not to have heard of him, then telling all the Europeans in the thread to get out of their Euro-centric bubble. You *had* to have known that even if you personally have not heard of Cam Newton, many Americans here would have.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

catiii

Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:03 am

spinotter wrote:
ER757 wrote:
spinotter wrote:

I might or might not take the $1500. As someone said upstream in this thread, it would depend on the person's approach. As for Cam Newton, it just astonishes me that someone would brandish his name as something that every reader would recognize and as an inducement to make the trade. Never heard of him before this thread and I'm sure that's true of many here on a.net.

The inducement is the $1500. The ancillary benefit is the story that Cam Newton bought your seat off of you.

Try and keep up.

catiii

Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:05 am

dragon6172 wrote:
catiii wrote:

And the point is? Tens of millions of people still know who he is.

IADCA

Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:58 am

catiii wrote:
dragon6172 wrote:
catiii wrote:

And the point is? Tens of millions of people still know who he is.

Well, when you're claiming he's one of the 50 most famous athletes in the world, get aggressive about how famous he is, and then someone uses an updated version of your source that shows he's not in the top 100, it doesn't make your argument look great.

And yes, he's famous (whether top 50 or top 500, he's still legitimately well-known, at least in the US, where this flight was headed), but that's not always a positive: if a random guy offered me $1500 for a seat like that, I'd probably do it. If Cam Newton (or Tom Brady; ok, especially Tom Brady) did it, I'd think twice about it solely because I'm so tired of American celebrity culture, especially when it comes to athletes.

FlyHappy

Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:28 am

IADCA wrote:
if a random guy offered me $1500 for a seat like that, I'd probably do it. If Cam Newton (or Tom Brady; ok, especially Tom Brady) did it,
I'd think twice about it solely because I'm so tired of American celebrity culture, especially when it comes to athletes.

Really? Ever heard of Cannes, or Cristiano, Messi, Manny, Rafi, and on and on and on....
c'mon now, maybe you're annoyed by the presumptive tone of posters here on this forum, but lets be honest, there's no difference in celebrity worship, entitlement and attitudes among the brats and princesses our societies uphold, whatever side of the Atlantic (or Pacific) you are on.

A gold chain wearing, ego stoked, self important dude (or pearly white, coiffed Captain America Boy) offers you a wad of cash for your extra legroom seat - if you really despised him, wouldn't you just cooly say "make it 3000, otherwise go away" ? That would make an even better video, I'd say, especially when superstars pockets comes up $200 light, cuz he had to drop a big tip for the well endowed bartender in the airport.

The individual doesn't matter, nor the relative fame or nationality. They're all jackasses.

Me? I'd be so surprised I'd be sitting there doing math. $1500 isn't trivial, no matter what the high rollers and premium cabin snobs of a.net have proclaimed, but whats AA charge for exit row on a TATL flight like that? I presume it to be a fair bit more than a short $50 domestic upcharge, so its really not all pure profit.

AirKevin

Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:49 am

FlyHappy wrote:
IADCA wrote:
if a random guy offered me $1500 for a seat like that, I'd probably do it. If Cam Newton (or Tom Brady; ok, especially Tom Brady) did it,
I'd think twice about it solely because I'm so tired of American celebrity culture, especially when it comes to athletes.

Really? Ever heard of Cannes, or Cristiano, Messi, Manny, Rafi, and on and on and on....

I have not. Then again, I don't really follow sports or anything, so I don't know any of these people.
Captain Kevin

IADCA

Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:54 pm

FlyHappy wrote:
IADCA wrote:

c'mon now, maybe you're annoyed by the presumptive tone of posters here on this forum, but lets be honest, there's no difference in celebrity worship, entitlement and attitudes among the brats and princesses our societies uphold, whatever side of the Atlantic (or Pacific) you are on.

A gold chain wearing, ego stoked, self important dude (or pearly white, coiffed Captain America Boy) offers you a wad of cash for your extra legroom seat - if you really despised him, wouldn't you just cooly say "make it 3000, otherwise go away" ? That would make an even better video, I'd say, especially when superstars pockets comes up $200 light, cuz he had to drop a big tip for the well endowed bartender in the airport.

The individual doesn't matter, nor the relative fame or nationality. They're all jackasses.

Me? I'd be so surprised I'd be sitting there doing math. $1500 isn't trivial, no matter what the high rollers and premium cabin snobs of a.net have proclaimed, but whats AA charge for exit row on a TATL flight like that? I presume it to be a fair bit more than a short $50 domestic upcharge, so its really not all pure profit.

Oh, if Cristiano Ronaldo had replaced Cam Newton, that would have made it even better. To answer the question about the specific reference to American celebrity culture, though, I do find it qualitatively different: American celebrities (generalizing) seem to expect active adoration and worshipful respect at every turn; many European celebrities (again, generalizing) just want to be left alone and not need to deal with the mere mortals.

As for the math of $1500, I would have been assuming at the time that if I said no he'd just go on to the dude on the other side of the aisle, not thinking about a bidding war. But the math matters, remember also that certain elite tiers on many airlines get exit rows for free also (I do on UA), so there's a decent it really would be pure profit. Not sure how it works on AA, You're right that $1500 isn't trivial, but for a lot of the folks who are in the elite tiers to get those rows for free, $1500 isn't all that much either.

dfwjim1

Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:54 pm

So Cam is running around town with at least $1,500 in cash?

FCOTSTW

Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:48 pm

spinotter wrote:
catiii wrote:
oldannyboy wrote:

Not me, bro!

cranberrysaus

Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:19 pm

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
oldannyboy wrote:
And BTW, $1500.00 is really not a lot.

Only if you're an American, a citizen of any other Western country, Japan or Singapore. If it was me I'd take it in a heartbeat, since that's basically 2/3 my basic salary.

The question is, why didn't AA offer him an open seat in Business for a fee? It can't be that the flight was fully booked?

Even if you're the average American $1500 is still a lot of money. Is OP rolling in dough or something?

"$1500 is really not a lot" - yeah, okay.

IPFreely

Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:19 am

catiii wrote:

Those aren't facts, those are some random person's rankings based on social media. Looking at the golfers on their list, they believe Phil Mickelson is far and away the #1 world's most famous golfer? That alone shows the list is not to be taken seriously.

spinotter

Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:49 pm

catiii wrote:
spinotter wrote:
ER757 wrote:

The inducement is the $1500. The ancillary benefit is the story that Cam Newton bought your seat off of you.

Try and keep up.

Keep up with the NFL? I despise the entire world of American football.

NeBaNi

Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:46 pm

I'm not sure if I'd take $1500 in cash if someone offered it to me in an airplane. The transaction would be visible to everyone, and throughout the flight, I'd be paranoid knowing everyone who saw and heard the commotion would know I had $1500 in cash with me. I wouldn't be able to sleep on the flight lol. If it was a non-cash transaction, then maybe.

FlyHappy

Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:33 am

dfwjim1 wrote:

Are you really surprised that a 30 year old celebrity athelete carries $1500 in cash?

dfwjim1

Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:22 pm

FlyHappy wrote:
dfwjim1 wrote:

Are you really surprised that a 30 year old celebrity athelete carries $1500 in cash?

Not really surprised I guess but it seems kind of dumb from a personal safety standpoint. Here in South Florida there was a rapper that withdrew $50,000 cash to put down on a BMW. As soon as he left the bank he was ambushed, robbed and shot to death by three men. The smart thing to do would have been to do a wire transfer, credit card payment...etc.

FlyHappy

Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:59 pm

dfwjim1 wrote:
FlyHappy wrote:
dfwjim1 wrote:

Not really surprised I guess but it seems kind of dumb from a personal safety standpoint. Here in South Florida there was a rapper that withdrew $50,000 cash to put down on a BMW. As soon as he left the bank he was ambushed, robbed and shot to death by three men. The smart thing to do would have been to do a wire transfer, credit card payment...etc.

c'mon now.
I can cite cases of robbery and death over $20; sadly I can do the same for a pair of sneakers. The dollar amount has little to do with it - its the environment, the crowd, etc, etc.

We're talking about someone flying from Paris to the US, someone originally booked in J, someone of means. I can guarantee you that on virtually every TATL flight, there's someone in the J cabin with at least that much in their pocket, AND there's someone in coach with the same.
I have personally done so - nothing nefarious or special, I simply felt the need to to carry the cash. I'd be hard pressed to imagine how I'd be in a speck more danger, revealing my loot on the plane or after, than I would be at home, driving to the gas station or peddling a unicycle.

I have the great fortune to not live in a Rio favela or a Miami ghetto, I know. But extreme examples aside, I hardly see cash itself as dangerous.

n729pa

Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:13 pm

Who is Tom Brady?

Another legend in their own mind I suppose.

Heinkel

Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:10 pm

catiii wrote:

- Selling the seat to Cam Newton or any other celebrity: US-$ 1,500 (cash?)

- Refusing the offer and keeping the seat, putting Cam Newton in a middle seat in Y: Priceless!

Your choice. What is the better story to tell your children and grand-children or on any party?

catiii

Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:03 am

Heinkel wrote:
catiii wrote:

- Selling the seat to Cam Newton or any other celebrity: US-$ 1,500 (cash?)

- Refusing the offer and keeping the seat, putting Cam Newton in a middle seat in Y: Priceless!

Your choice. What is the better story to tell your children and grand-children or on any party?

Since the story would be a lie with your details, the cash. He already had an aisle seat. It wasn’t a middle seat. He was trying to buy up to premium economy.