UAUA
Topic Author

DL/AA complimentary meals in economy class

Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:10 am

I understand that DL and AA offer free meals onboard some of their domestic flights. Which ones? Do you get free alcohol too?

Not on UA I know.
My former profile name was United Airline.

iadadd

Re: DL/AA complimentary meals in economy class

Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:12 am

DL has complimentary meals on its transcontinental flights (e.g JFK-LAX, DCA-LAX, JFK-SAN, etc.)

dcaproducer

Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:17 am

DL doesn’t offer free alcohol in standard economy in the continental US. Alcohol is free in Comfort+ on all domestic routes.

Miamiairport

Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:26 am

AA only JFK to LAX and SFO and DFW/Hawaii. Other coast to coast flights on AA,no. Alcohol is free in both AA MCE and Delta Comfort + on all flights. However, at least on AA flights under 250 miles only get a small bottle of water in Y.

unitedewr737

Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:44 am

UAUA wrote:
I understand that DL and AA offer free meals onboard some of their domestic flights. Which ones? Do you get free alcohol too?

Not on UA I know.

Actually United does offer free meals in economy plus on transcon flights from EWR to SFO and LAX. I believe they offer it in regular Econ as well on the EWR to HNL flight.

tlecam

Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:58 am

dcaproducer wrote:
DL doesn’t offer free alcohol in standard economy in the continental US. Alcohol is free in Comfort+ on all domestic routes.

DL does offer free alcohol on its shuttle flights in all classes - LGA-ORD, LGA- BOS etc...
BOS-LGA-JFK | A:319/20/21, 332/3, 346 || B:717, 735, 737, 738, 739, 752, 753, 762, 763, 764, 787, 772, 744 || MD80, MD90

jayunited

Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:21 pm

UAUA wrote:

Not on UA I know.

Actually UA does and has been for some time offering free meals and free alcoholic beverages to all passengers seated in economy plus on all premium transcontinental flights those flights are EWR-SFO-EWR, EWR-LAX-EWR, SFO-BOS-SFO, and now LAX-BOS-LAX.
I also believe EWR-HNL-EWR passengers in economy get a free meal but still have to pay for liquor.
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/conten ... vices.aspx

Ishrion

Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:30 pm

A bit off topic - does AA offer elevated service in Premiun Economy on DFW-ANC and back? I know AA sells it as a separate class.

burnsie28

Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:15 pm

iadadd wrote:
DL has complimentary meals on its transcontinental flights (e.g JFK-LAX, DCA-LAX, JFK-SAN, etc.)

And long haul Hawaii (ATL, MSP, DTW, JFK)

vhtje

Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:22 pm

oneworld Emeralds, when travelling in Y on AA, get free alcoholic beverages and snacks. It is a little bit embarrassing as the crew call me Ex Plat and generally make a fuss (e.g. serving me first) and not taking any payment at the end of the exchange. This, in turn, invariably prompts the person sitting next to me who probably was going to be tight and not have anything, to ask for a drink/snack, only to be dismayed when they are asked to pay.

"But why didn't he pay?" they ask, pointing to me.

It really makes for a comfortable remainder of the flight!
I only turn left when boarding aircraft. Well, mostly. All right, sometimes. OH OKAY - rarely.

WeatherPilot

Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:25 pm

Transcontinental flights only. The flight has to be long enough to have the time to effectively serve all passengers, give them enough time to eat and for attendants to be able to pickup everything back up to stow for landing.

DaProf

Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:26 pm

dcaproducer wrote:

Not all routes, it has to be over a certain time amount and iirc it's not insignificant. I recently flew MEM-ATL-MIA and back twice and couldn't get a free drink on any of those legs.

Pyrex

Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:32 pm

unitedewr737 wrote:
UAUA wrote:

Not on UA I know.

Actually United does offer free meals in economy plus on transcon flights from EWR to SFO and LAX. I believe they offer it in regular Econ as well on the EWR to HNL flight.

I flew HNL-EWR last September on UA and there was no food in regular Econ... Really bad form, considering how poor your food options are in HNL airport, in case you want to grab something before the flight.
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

TWA1985

Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:39 pm

Miamiairport wrote:
AA only JFK to LAX and SFO and DFW/Hawaii. Other coast to coast flights on AA,no. Alcohol is free in both AA MCE and Delta Comfort + on all flights. However, at least on AA flights under 250 miles only get a small bottle of water in Y.

AA also offers free economy meals on ORD-HNL.
Be Young. Be Wild. Be Free.

usxguy

Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:42 pm

I guess a better question is- are these carve-outs TRUE meals or do they just get to pick something from the Buy on Board catalogue/offerings. Those aren't quite "real" meals since its nornally just a wrap/salad/sandwich with sometime chips or something.

I believe I read that UA EWR/HNL is a "true" plated meal.

Hawaiian gives you free food- its almost a meal but typically very small. I remember one flight being a mini fruit plate (like 1 slice of melon, pineapple, 2 grapes, and 2 apple slices).

Air North Canada gives free hot meals on Ottawa flights, all others get a sandwich with chips or a fairly substantial deli plate & free warm cookies or cheesecake on all the other flights.

WestJet just changed their Plus meals to be actual heated meals served on a tray.
xx

dcaproducer

Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:57 pm

tlecam wrote:
dcaproducer wrote:

DL does offer free alcohol on its shuttle flights in all classes - LGA-ORD, LGA- BOS etc...

Yes, with this small exception, but the shuttle flights are more limited.
https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US ... uttle.html

dcaproducer

Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:58 pm

usxguy wrote:
I guess a better question is- are these carve-outs TRUE meals or do they just get to pick something from the Buy on Board catalogue/offerings. Those aren't quite "real" meals since its nornally just a wrap/salad/sandwich with sometime chips or something.

Hawaiian gives you free food- its almost a meal but typically very small. I remember one flight being a mini fruit plate (like 1 slice of melon, pineapple, 2 grapes, and 2 apple slices).

Air North Canada gives free hot meals on Ottawa flights, all others get a sandwich with chips or a fairly substantial deli plate & free warm cookies or cheesecake on all the other flights.

WestJet just changed their Plus meals to be actual heated meals served on a tray.

On the DL transcon flights it's a wrap/sandwich, side and cookie/dessert. It's not plated.

TWA1985

Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:22 pm

dcaproducer wrote:
usxguy wrote:

On the DL transcon flights it's a wrap/sandwich, side and cookie/dessert. It's not plated.

I believe it’s something similar on AA.

Scarebus34

Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:30 pm

On UA, those seated in economy plus on premium transcon flights receive a free meal. They are currently testing free sandwiches in flights from IAH/ORD-HNL.

AZa346

Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:50 pm

I had a choice between a fluit and cheese platter, a chicken roll or a salad of some sort, I can't recall exactly as it has been a year, on Delta from JFK to PDX, it was quite pleasant although definitely not a meal!!

dmstorm22

Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:03 pm

Scarebus34 wrote:
On UA, those seated in economy plus on premium transcon flights receive a free meal. They are currently testing free sandwiches in flights from IAH/ORD-HNL.

Really happy they did this on EWR-SFO/LAX given the limitations on getting upgrades. Gives at least something 'premium' to the service in the back cabin.

UA also has some weird meal selection for these flights. I've received a lot of Indian food (not complaining, as an Indian) on those flights, maybe leftover from what was prepared for the India flights from that day?
Last edited by dmstorm22 on Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Veigar

Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:08 pm

dcaproducer wrote:

Not on my LAS-LAX flight :hissyfit:

MartijnNL

Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:13 pm

Pyrex wrote:
I flew HNL-EWR last September on UA and there was no food in regular Econ... Really bad form, considering how poor your food options are in HNL airport, in case you want to grab something before the flight.

No food on a 5,000 mile flight? That is just insane. And really sad.

Last Saturday I travelled from Hong Kong to Shanghai with China Eastern. To my surprise I got a full hot meal and dessert on this two hour flight.

The next day my journey continued with Swiss to Zurich and Amsterdam. I booked a non refundable economy fare, which turned out to be very good value for money. On the 5,500 mile flight I enjoyed two full hot meals, three tasty sandwiches, icecream and as many drinks, including alcoholic ones, as I would like to have. And there was chocolate.

Why is the service level so enormously different between Asian and European airlines on the one hand and American carriers on the other?

jrkmsp

Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:14 pm

Veigar wrote:
dcaproducer wrote:

It is free — you just have to be willing to ask for it. On flights of less than, roughy, 350 miles they usually offer water in the back, but if anyone in C+ asks for a drink, they'll give it to you without any fuss.

The MIA-ATL flight should have had full drink service for all, unless there was storms or something.

DaProf

Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:17 pm

jrkmsp wrote:
Veigar wrote:
dcaproducer wrote:

It is free — you just have to be willing to ask for it. On flights of less than, roughy, 350 miles they usually offer water in the back, but if anyone in C+ asks for a drink, they'll give it to you without any fuss.

The MIA-ATL flight should have had full drink service for all, unless there was storms or something.

Nope, we were told the MIA-ATL flight was too short for the free alcohol service.

airportugal310

Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:20 pm

Flew LAX-DCA and LAX-BOS not all that long ago and got a nice little menu card in the back with three (3!) choices of a free meal. It was more than enough to eat and having a choice was nice as well
I sell airplanes and airplane accessories

jrkmsp

Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:37 pm

DaProf wrote:
jrkmsp wrote:
Veigar wrote:

Nope, we were told the MIA-ATL flight was too short for the free alcohol service.

Yeah, that's a crew that was either lying, lazy or misinformed. See the Delta website: https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US ... -plus.html

In addition to standard onboard fare, you can snack better with Delta Comfort+. Enjoy fresh fruit and other premium snacks on many routes over 900 miles when meal service is not available. Plus, on flights over 350 miles, Starbucks® coffee, beer, wine and spirits for 21+.

And, as I said, less than 350 miles, you can usually get a drink if you ask. Though I suppose you could probably find a crew that isn't interested in getting those 5s on the survey and I wouldn't push the issue with them.

kavok

Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:40 pm

On my lone DL HNL-MSP experience last year, we did get free alcohol drinks if we asked (in Y). Food was a basic wrap sandwich and cookie. We also got the “hot towels” similar to TATL routes.

As far as C+ on DL, routes shorter than 350 miles aren’t supposed to provide anything in C+ (snack or adult beverage). That obviously doesn’t mean your mileage might vary, but that is pretty standard in my experience.
Last edited by kavok on Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blerg

Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:40 pm

Just watched a trip report on DL's JFK-LAX and what they offer onboard is tragic, a few apple slices, cheddar cheese and a few other things. I don't understand why they can't do what European airlines do and just offer a complimentary sandwich. If LX can do it on intra-European flights then I don't see why US carriers can't on much longer flights.

dcaproducer

Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:44 pm

Veigar wrote:
dcaproducer wrote:

Correction on my part, flights over 350 miles according to DL.com
https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US ... -plus.html

Scarebus34

Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:51 pm

dmstorm22 wrote:
Scarebus34 wrote:

Really happy they did this on EWR-SFO/LAX given the limitations on getting upgrades. Gives at least something 'premium' to the service in the back cabin.

UA also has some weird meal selection for these flights. I've received a lot of Indian food (not complaining, as an Indian) on those flights, maybe leftover from what was prepared for the India flights from that day?

A lot of the economy meals on TATL From EWR/IAD are Indian meals... not sure why but that’s just something they do.

chepos

Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:54 pm

Blerg wrote:
Just watched a trip report on DL's JFK-LAX and what they offer onboard is tragic, a few apple slices, cheddar cheese and a few other things. I don't understand why they can't do what European airlines do and just offer a complimentary sandwich. If LX can do it on intra-European flights then I don't see why US carriers can't on much longer flights.

BA is a European carrier, for example on a LHR-BUD flight last summer everything was BOB. Everything! Recently I have flown EI and IB intra Europe and it was BOB as well in Y. All 3 are European carriers. Granted it is not as long as a TransCon, however, still this fallacy of elaborate inflight service in Y on European carriers is not always accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fly the Flag!!!!

DaProf

Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:56 pm

jrkmsp wrote:
DaProf wrote:
jrkmsp wrote:

Yeah, that's a crew that was either lying, lazy or misinformed. See the Delta website: https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US ... -plus.html

In addition to standard onboard fare, you can snack better with Delta Comfort+. Enjoy fresh fruit and other premium snacks on many routes over 900 miles when meal service is not available. Plus, on flights over 350 miles, Starbucks® coffee, beer, wine and spirits for 21+.

And, as I said, less than 350 miles, you can usually get a drink if you ask. Though I suppose you could probably find a crew that isn't interested in getting those 5s on the survey and I wouldn't push the issue with them.

If it was once out of the 4 times I was on that leg I would agree, but it was every time. So I dunno, maybe I'm just really unlucky.

dmstorm22

Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:56 pm

Scarebus34 wrote:
dmstorm22 wrote:
Scarebus34 wrote:

A lot of the economy meals on TATL From EWR/IAD are Indian meals... not sure why but that’s just something they do.

Yup. Flew IAD-FCO recently, two of the three meal options were Indian, both veg and non-veg (third was a non-veg pasta I believe).

Blerg

Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:57 pm

chepos wrote:
Blerg wrote:

BA is a European carrier, for example on a LHR-BUD flight last summer everything was BOB. Everything! Recently I have flown EI and IB intra Europe and it was BOB as well in Y. All 3 are European carriers. Granted it is not as long as a TransCon, however, still this fallacy of elaborate inflight service in Y on European carriers is not always accurate.

SK serves a breakfast box on all flights that depart before nine in the morning.
AF, KL, LH, LX, OS, RO, A3, YM, TP, SU, AY... all provide at least a snack or a sandwich. I flew on OS recently, the flight was just an hour and we still got a sandwich and a drink.

phllax

Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:24 pm

United's meal on transcon routes mostly matches what CO was giving for free in Y before they stopped and is served on a tray. Breakfast consists of fruit cup, yogurt and a choice of salty/sweet entrée (has been omelet or pancakes/French Toast). Lunch/Dinner is a small salad, choice of hot entrée and dessert.

Delta by far offers the most routes with free Y meals.
BOS-SFO/LAX/SEA
DCA-LAX
JFK-LAX/SFO/PDX/SEA/SAN
SEA-FLL/MCO/RDU

TWA1985

Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:55 pm

Here’s a link to an economy trip report on AA between DFW and HNL from 2017 that shows the complimentary offerings in coach. It’s a basic boxed sandwich / wrap and chips type meal.

https://first2board.com/johnthewanderer ... -honolulu/

jrkmsp

Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:48 pm

DaProf wrote:
jrkmsp wrote:
DaProf wrote:

If it was once out of the 4 times I was on that leg I would agree, but it was every time. So I dunno, maybe I'm just really unlucky.

ATL-MIA is definitely supposed to get service. I'd complain to Delta.

global2

Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:40 pm

chepos wrote:
Blerg wrote:

It's an IAG thing, and it's infuriating. I refuse to pay money for water, and that's all I really wanted on a flight from LHR to VCE. The attendant was nice enough to bring me a free cup of water following the "service".

mchei

Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:47 pm

vhtje wrote:
oneworld Emeralds, when travelling in Y on AA, get free alcoholic beverages and snacks. It is a little bit embarrassing as the crew call me Ex Plat and generally make a fuss (e.g. serving me first) and not taking any payment at the end of the exchange. This, in turn, invariably prompts the person sitting next to me who probably was going to be tight and not have anything, to ask for a drink/snack, only to be dismayed when they are asked to pay.

"But why didn't he pay?" they ask, pointing to me.

It really makes for a comfortable remainder of the flight!

Haha. That’s exactly what still happens on board Eurowings flights even after years they introduced their ridiculous classes best, smart and whatever.
I usually ask them to keep their old piece of bread and the drink which I don’t necessarily need on a 60 minute flight. I once wanted to donate it to a gentleman who really wanted to win the fight with the flight attendant - but the donation wasn’t possible. It’s fun sometimes aboard an aircraft :)
F70-F100-E145-E170-E190-319-320-321-735–736-737-738-752-763–742-744-333-343-ATR72-Metroliner-Saab2000-Lockheed Electra-C172-C182-C182RG-MD11

alan3

Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:07 pm

Surprised to hear US airlines offer free food on some transcon flights. They were among the first to do away with them back in the day. Even AC, which keeps reminding us they win Skytrax Best North American Airline 8 years in a row, doesn't offer complimentary meals or alcohol on any transcon flights in Y class (except in Premium Economy and Business).

Do US airlines provide free meals and alcohol on longhaul international?

FlyHappy

Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:29 pm

MartijnNL wrote:
Pyrex wrote:

No food on a 5,000 mile flight? That is just insane. And really sad.

Last Saturday I travelled from Hong Kong to Shanghai with China Eastern. To my surprise I got a full hot meal and dessert on this two hour flight.

The next day my journey continued with Swiss to Zurich and Amsterdam. I booked a non refundable economy fare, which turned out to be very good value for money. On the 5,500 mile flight I enjoyed two full hot meals, three tasty sandwiches, icecream and as many drinks, including alcoholic ones, as I would like to have. And there was chocolate.

Why is the service level so enormously different between Asian and European airlines on the one hand and American carriers on the other?

In full agreement that long US flights involving HNL are a utter embarrassment.
In full agreement that Asian full service on short flights can be amazing in its service level, truly throwback stuff from western perspective (but lets not ignore the many, many low service ULCC/LCC that thrive in Asia, too)

But you are not really making accurate comparisons in terms of EU vs US carriers. You flew international long haul on Swiss, and international long haul on US carriers would also provide substantial services.

You flew Swiss, which is undoubtedly positioned as a premium carrier, and it shows in the services ZRH - AMS; I posit that Swiss is really the top EU carrier in this respect?
Intra/short/mid haul EU flying has plenty of lower-than-US3 standards on the LCC's . LCC's which are less prominent in US flying (yes, I'm aware of Spirit/Frontier/etc).

In fact, I wonder - do the EU carriers maintain a high standard for routes with the heavy Asian/ME3 competition , and less so on TATL where they still dominate (with their US partners/JV's) ? What about western Africa flying where ME3 and ET aren't competitive?

FlyHappy

Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:37 pm

alan3 wrote:
Surprised to hear US airlines offer free food on some transcon flights. They were among the first to do away with them back in the day. Even AC, which keeps reminding us they win Skytrax Best North American Airline 8 years in a row, doesn't offer complimentary meals or alcohol on any transcon flights in Y class (except in Premium Economy and Business).

Do US airlines provide free meals and alcohol on longhaul international?

The food on transcon thing is a fairly recent return to some semblance of full service.
I want to say no more than 2 or 3 years.
Airlines certainly don't give away profits anymore, so I think it was a reasonable indication of a small slippage of market (on the long flights) to LCC competitors, even if they were one stop competitors.

To be clear, the US3 have always served free meals and alcohol (I've never been on one that didn't) on longhaul international Y, it never stopped.
There are definitely S America routes where the line is blurry about long haul or not, which may vary from my blanket statement.

alan3

Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:11 pm

FlyHappy wrote:

The food on transcon thing is a fairly recent return to some semblance of full service.
Airlines certainly don't give away profits anymore, so I think it was a reasonable indication of a small slippage of market (on the long flights) to LCC competitors, even if they were one stop competitors.

Interesting that meals would be brought back to compete against LCC while over in the UK defenders of BA say removing meals was done for the same reason. Although I realize that a 1 or 2 hour hop is different from a 5 hour transcontinental.

FlyHappy wrote:
To be clear, the US3 have always served free meals and alcohol (I've never been on one that didn't) on longhaul international Y, it never stopped.
There are definitely S America routes where the line is blurry about long haul or not, which may vary from my blanket statement.

Are you sure? This article suggests UA did away with long-haul alcohol in the early 2000's but brought it back in 2015:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/todayint ... /25783291/

FlyHappy

Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:20 pm

alan3 wrote:
FlyHappy wrote:

Interesting that meals would be brought back to compete against LCC while over in the UK defenders of BA say removing meals was done for the same reason. Although I realize that a 1 or 2 hour hop is different from a 5 hour transcontinental.

Only my casual theory, its possible the return was more spurred by peer competition (example, SEA originating DL vs AS) rather than LCC

alan3 wrote:
FlyHappy wrote:

Are you sure? This article suggests UA did away with long-haul alcohol in the early 2000's but brought it back in 2015:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/todayint ... /25783291/

Obviously I am wrong about the alcohol - I don't often imbibe on aircraft, and possibly haven't flow long haul on UA in this time frame. Pretty sure the food has always been there, though.

laca773

Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:54 am

These flights from the Midwest, East Coast to HNL should all have complimentary catering. These flights are longer than most from the same cities to Europe. Even the BOB options UA & AA offer are very skimpy. They should be ashamed. There was so much media about UA testing handing out complimentary sandwiches in Y on IAH-HNL! I was shocked! Are you kidding? This is pathetic. If they truly want to make more money offer the standard meal complimentary, but offer upgraded meals for a reasonable fee. I'd definitely buy it.
Flights from the west Coast to the islands should have full catering as well. These flights are often clise to six hours.