dfwjim1
Topic Author

First class restrooms - economy class using?

Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:28 pm

I fly on American Airlines a few times a year in economy and on every flight the flight attendants request that those sitting in economy do not use the restrooms in first class/business. However
when the seatbelt sign comes off there are always passengers in economy who use the first class restrooms. Personally I don't care if this happens or not but I find it strange that the flight attendants do not tell the economy passengers to turn around and go back to the restrooms in their section.

Is this situation common with other airlines both U.S. and overseas? Or the AA flight attendants just being slack about enforcing their own rules?

zrs70

Re: First class restrooms - economy class using?

Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:16 pm

There are many variables here.

1. Are the passengers using the F lav disabled in any way?

2. Just getting to the rear lav blocked by a service cart?

3. Perhaps the passenger really really really has to go.

4. Perhaps the flight attendant in the rear of the plane send the passenger back forward because of a malfunction In the lav.
19 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2019

Stitch

Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:44 pm

It is common in the US, at least, for Economy class passengers in the forward part of the cabin to use the First Class lavatory. This is often due to a service cart blocking access to the aft lavatories, which likely contributes to the Flight Attendants not preventing such access. In my experience, they will not allow a queue of more than one person to wait next to the lavatory for it to become available and will often allow First Class customers to "jump the line" (though almost always the FC passenger will allow someone who has been waiting at the front of the Economy cabin longer to go ahead of them and then take the next opening).

Pellegrine

Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:41 am

US Domestic First class also has less of a separation from economy class than it used to. It has what? A half, thin bulkhead (if at all), and a sheer curtain that is not even drawn? As a Dom F flyer it is annoying, but I understand people's need to use the lavatory. I wish we could go back to having a proper bulkhead and curtain separating classes, and have adequate lavs in Y.
oh boy, here we go!!!

upperdeckfan

Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:53 am

is the same on narrow bodies across Europe, as there is no physical divider people do get to the front lav
764, 789, 732,733,735,737,738,739,
752, 722, 717,74M,DC10,DC9,M82,
M83, M87, M88,310,319,320,321,332,
333, 343, 346,359,388,L1011,CR2,
CR7, CR9,CRK, E175,E190,ATR42,
DSH8, CS1,CS3

KentB27

Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:18 pm

They always say that the front lavatory is for first class passengers only on U.S. domestic flights but I don't think I've ever seen it enforced. It's just not a priority for the crew.

fbgdavidson

Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:02 pm

AA no longer have a policy of saying the front bathrooms are for FC use only. If you've heard it on AA in recent times then it's a mistaken FA or someone who just believes that's in the best interest of serving the FC cabin.

My personal opinion is that it is fine for those to use the front lav if the cart is blocking ability to reach the rear. However, I have had instances on recent AA flights where there was a constant parade of Y pax using the front lavatory (outside of the service time) and passengers were lining up outside the galley by the bulkhead. In one case the FA actually ended up sending passengers back to the rear lavatory because they were free and actively sent Y passengers rearward as they came into the FC cabin because FC passengers were about four deep waiting.
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

Pellegrine

Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:18 am

fbgdavidson wrote:
AA no longer have a policy of saying the front bathrooms are for FC use only. If you've heard it on AA in recent times then it's a mistaken FA or someone who just believes that's in the best interest of serving the FC cabin.

My personal opinion is that it is fine for those to use the front lav if the cart is blocking ability to reach the rear. However, I have had instances on recent AA flights where there was a constant parade of Y pax using the front lavatory (outside of the service time) and passengers were lining up outside the galley by the bulkhead. In one case the FA actually ended up sending passengers back to the rear lavatory because they were free and actively sent Y passengers rearward as they came into the FC cabin because FC passengers were about four deep waiting.

Wow haven't seen your SN in forever! How have you been? I used to love reading your BA TRs back in the day, I concur about the AA policy.
oh boy, here we go!!!

spacecadet

Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:57 am

The number of lavs per passenger has been dropping for decades now... most medium-haul planes these days have about 1 lav per 50 coach passengers. It's just not an equation that can be reconciled with the human body - there are going to be obvious times on any flight when there's high demand for bathrooms, there are going to be other random times when two passengers happen to be in each lav for 15 minutes at the same time, and sometimes other people just have to go. So you can neither blame passengers for using the first class lav, nor the crew for turning a blind eye to it. It was more reasonable to keep coach passengers out of first class when there was 1 lav per 20 or 30 passengers; now, not so much.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

fbgdavidson

Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:14 pm

Pellegrine wrote:
Wow haven't seen your SN in forever! How have you been? I used to love reading your BA TRs back in the day, I concur about the AA policy.

Greetings! I haven't posted as much in recent years but do keep the occasional trip report flowing through. Have reported QR QSuites, SQ Business Class, CX First, Garuda Business and Austrian Business in the last year or so. BA trip reports seem a bit overdone at this stage but thank you for your kind words! When I next score something on the BA A350 I'll probably pen something about the new Club Suites.
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey