VC10er
Topic Author

PRIDE month is in its final week...any talk of outcome?

Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:33 am

This year, the 50th anniversary of the STONEWALL riots, I have noticed the US3 have really gone BIG & BOLD in their celebrations and promotions, as well as touting their A+ scores from the most significant organizations for creating a safe and equal employment practices, etc.
Ive even dug around for articles and any other information I could find about LGBTQ events and reactions (mostly US).

In full disclosure I’m a proud gay man, and I must say that I am astonished by the length the airlines have gone to support and celebrate PRIDE month.

Gay PRIDE is very visual by nature. Given the rainbow flag and all sorts of permutations of it, it it’s not easily missed. However beside the flags and balloons etc, I was particularly (and very pleasantly) surprised that the airliners did MUCH more than hang flags and wear pins. In fact I think that all (except perhaps 1) of the large US carriers UNITED seems to have really gone ALL out (no pun intended) by hosting Drag Queen Brunches at all their US hubs as well as Mexico City and LHR. United has designed a very cool UNITED PRIDE T-shirt (one I’d actually wear) and one also worn by Oscar Munoz in the Parades he marched in behind the United banner with throngs of employee’s and UA FF’s. (In fact I believe they have sold out?) I think the biggest of their Drag Queen Brunch parties is at EWR this coming weekend.

When I was 21 there was virtually NOTHING done by anyone. Then perhaps after some years passed, some brands like ABSOLUTE did some great things. Some spirits and Beer companies were the “OFFICIAL” brand at fund raising parties and with special packaging.

But NOTHING as big and mainstream as a giant US airline.
While I’m not blind to the fact it is part of “marketing” and being “absent” now is bad for business. That said, corporations do have the choice of how big and how far to go, as there could be backlash- and even the coolest and most supportive of leadership can choose to go with a lighter touch instead of going BIG, BOLD & HAPPY!

In my life I’ve suffered greatly when I was young from overt hate. Online I’ve read some of the MOST VILE AND DESPICABLE HATE being spewed.

So, ultimately I am curious how airlines who have been so bold (UA seems the most bold, in part because of the number of hubs they have) how they have dealt with the backlash? Are their trained teams to help manage upset customers? (I can only imagine the faces of some people surprised when they connect through SFO, DEN, IAH & EWR deplane and walk right into loud music and Drag shows!

I have read A LOT of folks calling for a boycott online against the DL, AA & UA!

Last, I want to TRULY THANK every USA airline for earning the top box awards from HUMAN RIGHTS CAMPAIGN, GLAAD, ACLU and more. Not just talk, but doing the walk! I’m so happy for today’s gay youth who didn’t have to fight the world the way I had to in the 1980’s!
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

ricport

Re: PRIDE month is in its final week...any talk of outcome?

Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:55 pm

As a gay man who likes a calm, pleasant traveling environment, the last thing I'd want is to step off a plane and right into the middle of a chaotic, noisy drag show.

The rest of this seems to have very little to do with actual air travel.

PI4EVR

Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:17 pm

I had difficulty posting the youtube link, but enjoy the JetBlue "Shantay Blue Stay" presentation.
Search YouTube for "JetBlue Drag Show."
And VC10ER. "If you can't love yourself, how the hell you gonna' love someone else?" Best of life and happiness to you.

VC10er
Topic Author

Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:29 pm

ricport wrote:
As a gay man who likes a calm, pleasant traveling environment, the last thing I'd want is to step off a plane and right into the middle of a chaotic, noisy drag show.

The rest of this seems to have very little to do with actual air travel.

I live about 200ft off 5th Avenue on West 10th st, on the 2nd floor. The STONEWALL bar is directly 2.5 short blocks down from my apartment building. I have participated in the march when it was FAR more political as we were in the midst of the HIV/AIDS epidemic and nobody cared that I was burring about 5-10 friends a years.

NOTHING makes me happier to see that today it’s a celebration for “mostly” winning the battle for equality and the value of a human life: straight, gay, bisexual, transgender or any place you might be in the constellation sexual identity.
But, after 25 years, it’s too much for me, especially because I live DEAD CENTER of the Parade that doesn’t stop until late on Sunday. I cannot take the pounding music and and dancing on my CLOSED street anymore- so I am off on a plane to a long peaceful weekend somewhere else, and thrilled to pass the torch to a new generation who doesn’t even know Jessie Helms name!

So I can totally understand that you would not walk off a jetway right into a drag show. But that will be a 5 to 10 minute experience- the whole entire TC at EWR is not going to be a wall to wall Drag Show lip syncing of Madonna songs.

You say this has little to do with aviation and that is 1000% wrong. It’s ENTIRELY about mainstream aviation in the USA. At a time when division between the same people of the SAME nation are at each other’s throats over the smallest of cultural differences- the 3 LARGEST airlines in the world, flying many millions of people along with fabulous others such as JetBlue and Alaska have OVERWHELMINGLY EMBRACED AND ARE CELEBRATING IN AN ENORMOUS WAY the contributions of one of the most marginalized minority groups in the face of what could be (hopefully not) the most polarizing minority of all.

It’s far safer for many other businesses to hang a few flags and issue a beautifully worded statement of support than for an AIRLINE to do what they are doing. “NOT” just enough to seem “in tune” with the times- but to go FAR FUTHER to support, and to thank their LGBTQ employees and passengers. To have a straight (I assume) airline CEO march with their gay employees and even wearing a bespoke United PRIDE T-shirt is awesome and in a TOTALLY AVIATION context.
Again, nothing makes me happier than seeing a heterosexual male FA, doing the a job that was - not so long ago- a woman’s job done by a “gay guy”

Airlines had a choice of how far to take this seriously: and went all the way despite the blowback! Did you look at the United HUB page? Delta’s or AA?
Aviation is as mainstream (for anyone) kind of public business as it gets. THANKS TO ALL!

VC10er
Topic Author

Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:42 pm

PI4EVR wrote:
I had difficulty posting the youtube link, but enjoy the JetBlue "Shantay Blue Stay" presentation.
Search YouTube for "JetBlue Drag Show."
And VC10ER. "If you can't love yourself, how the hell you gonna' love someone else?" Best of life and happiness to you.

I actually do love myself and very happy about the person I turned out to be. Sure, the suburbs in the 1970’s was NOT a good time or place to “come OUT”- but it was the best thing I ever did! THANKS!

UALFAson

Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:09 am

I think for the most part, many U.S. companies, including airlines--perhaps especially airlines--have decided that: a) chasing "rainbow dollars" is a good business practice and b) not being seen as LGBTQ+ friendly, especially when one's competitors all are, can be detrimental from a business perspective. And c) both of those reasons trump (pun (maybe?) not intended) whatever half-a$$ boycott attempt the "Million Moms" are trying to organize.

As you pointed out, pretty much every major U.S. airline these days is doing something to support Pride month, from changing their Facebook and Instagram logos to rainbows to sponsoring and/or supporting their employees marching in Pride parades. There are basically no airlines left for members of the religious right to fly that share their values. Guess they're stuck taking Amtrak or Greyhound. Oh wait--they support Pride events too! I suppose they'll have to walk to Disneyworld and Thanksgiving at grandma's.

It also likely doesn't hurt that airlines I would guess have larger-than-average percentages of employees who identify as LGBTQ+ compared to many other industries. There's no real significant downside to supporting Pride events. So yay!
"We hope you've enjoyed flying with us as much as we've enjoyed taking you for a ride."

VC10er
Topic Author

Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:30 am

UALFAson wrote:
I think for the most part, many U.S. companies, including airlines--perhaps especially airlines--have decided that: a) chasing "rainbow dollars" is a good business practice and b) not being seen as LGBTQ+ friendly, especially when one's competitors all are, can be detrimental from a business perspective. And c) both of those reasons trump (pun (maybe?) not intended) whatever half-a$$ boycott attempt the "Million Moms" are trying to organize.

As you pointed out, pretty much every major U.S. airline these days is doing something to support Pride month, from changing their Facebook and Instagram logos to rainbows to sponsoring and/or supporting their employees marching in Pride parades. There are basically no airlines left for members of the religious right to fly that share their values. Guess they're stuck taking Amtrak or Greyhound. Oh wait--they support Pride events too! I suppose they'll have to walk to Disneyworld and Thanksgiving at grandma's.

It also likely doesn't hurt that airlines I would guess have larger-than-average percentages of employees who identify as LGBTQ+ compared to many other industries. There's no real significant downside to supporting Pride events. So yay!

Thaaank You!
I agree; where does an out and loud anti-gay, or behind the screen self loathing closet case do if they have to fly. Calling for a boycott of Delta, United, American, JetBlue, Alaska and Southwest (who was called out for doing the “least possible” yet still scores an A+ for LGBTQ employment practices) go?

I will not bring the Christian Fundamental LUNATICS (Ex: Mike Pence) because of many people who are real true Christians who don’t go after the LGBTQ community passively or aggressively because they know that not accepting someone exactly the way they are and loving that Drag Queen named Amanda Hugginkiss in the same way as the guy in regular guy in “male appropriate” Dockers slacks and a Polo Shirt is NOT what Jesus would do-same for other religions.

I started this because I know for a fact there is always a plan in place, PR experts called in to advise, to deal with something where backlash is expected and fairly predictable. So, an airline representative gets a “Fire & Brimstone” vulgarity laced screaming angry passenger on the line because when they deplaned, right in front of the family there is a beautifully lit stage of 8 Drag Queens, the air filled with confetti in the airline’s colors, dressed as ultra chic Fight Attendants with glittery 1960’s handbags emblazoned with the company logo singing and dancing to disco and cracking jokes about their booties being to big for a seat...blah, blah-

What are the airline support staff trained to say? Even vile homophobic people need to be treated as valuable customers? “Next time fly HOOTERS airlines?”
Seriously how do they manage these haters?