Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

UA857
Topic Author

Is UA going to dehub GUM?

Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:18 am

With GUM-HKG being cut will UA dehub GUM?

Re: Is UA going to dehub GUM?

Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:52 am

I heard they already de-hub GUM according to Wikipedia

chunhimlai

Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:07 am

How about to build 2nd runway and new terminal in Nimitz golf course?

LAXintl

Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:36 pm

No. They are using the freed up HKG capacity to add more Japan flying.

PatrickZ80

Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:04 pm

chunhimlai wrote:
How about to build 2nd runway and new terminal in Nimitz golf course?

Not needed, the airport is large enough as it is. Capacity is not a problem.

The reason the flight to Hong Kong is being cut has nothing to do with Guam. The problem lies in Hong Kong where they need the slots otherwise.

77H

Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:24 am

While the last few years have been a tough go for UA and tourism to Guam at large, UA’s GUM hub commands some of the healthiest fare premiums in their system. This is especially true to/from HNL and on the island hopper. Moreover, those high yields are steadily achieved in the passenger cabin and cargo holds.

Additionally, since DL pulled down their GUM and SPN services, UA is the only US carrier operating into either. While the majority of inbound pax are from Asian countries such as Japan and South Korea, any US originating pax must use UA to get to GUM due to cabotage. Though there may be limited exceptions like the HA/JL JV. Cargo and mail are bound to the same rules giving UA a near monopoly on US to GUM lanes.

77H

PI4EVR

Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:53 pm

Well not quite as to UA having a "near monopoly" on GUM service. You are not required to fly UA. Granted it has the market share and is the only US airline serving the island that generates the largest amount of US to GUM traffic. But you can fly other airlines for connections.
As a US Trust Territory the rule requires you fly a US airline on the originating transpacific leg, but you can connect to a foreign carrier for the continuation to GUM.
DL routes all US-originating passengers now via ICN connecting to KE and AA routes via NRT for a connection (overnight stay) on to JL.
You can also buy two separate tickets, such as XXX-NRT on AA and the separate ticket on JL if you were booking say award seats or a much cheaper fare on the AA flights to NRT and purchase the NRT-GUM on JL using their website. The same would apply for DL via ICN.
Stopovers and open jaw tickets exceeding 24 hours at the connection point are also permitted as long as the rule is met by flying a US airline to/from the US over the Pacific.
This same rule applies to GUM residents who are obviously US citizens who travel to HI or the mainland.

AirKevin

Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:04 pm

77H wrote:
any US originating pax must use UA to get to GUM due to cabotage.

PI4EVR wrote:
As a US Trust Territory the rule requires you fly a US airline on the originating transpacific leg, but you can connect to a foreign carrier for the continuation to GUM.

Are we talking about specific US originating passengers or just any US originating passenger in general. If the latter, what's stopping them from booking a ticket from a foreign airline.

B747forever

Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:35 pm

AirKevin wrote:
77H wrote:
any US originating pax must use UA to get to GUM due to cabotage.

PI4EVR wrote:

Are we talking about specific US originating passengers or just any US originating passenger in general. If the latter, what's stopping them from booking a ticket from a foreign airline.

Foreign airlines are not allowed to sell US domestic flights to any passengers. For instance AC can’t sell SEA-YYZ-BOS as one ticket, or you can’t fly SEA-NRT-GUM on one ticket. As a pax you can still get around this rule by booking two separate tickets, but probably not a good idea to do. So yes, if you are originating within the US and want to fly to GUM on one ticket you have to use UA unless you add stop over points.

strfyr51

Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:16 am

77H wrote:
While the last few years have been a tough go for UA and tourism to Guam at large, UA’s GUM hub commands some of the healthiest fare premiums in their system. This is especially true to/from HNL and on the island hopper. Moreover, those high yields are steadily achieved in the passenger cabin and cargo holds.

Additionally, since DL pulled down their GUM and SPN services, UA is the only US carrier operating into either. While the majority of inbound pax are from Asian countries such as Japan and South Korea, any US originating pax must use UA to get to GUM due to cabotage. Though there may be limited exceptions like the HA/JL JV. Cargo and mail are bound to the same rules giving UA a near monopoly on US to GUM lanes

77H

Just to be clear, United doesn't just fly to GUM, they fly all of Micronesia. Kwajalien, bYap, Palalu etc. that's all Ocean flying and the Islands are tiny. I was stationed at GUM while in the Navy and we flew Ocean surveilence out of GUM (NAS Agana) We Lost an engine and had to overnight at Kwajalien and LO and Behold? a Continental 747 lands, Taxi's up and the FE gets off walks over and Hands me a switch Package for our engine. walks back to his airplane and they Blast off to God knows where, I had our airplane foxed in an hour and we took off too, We overnighted at Clark AFB and Guess who pulls up next to us? Continental Air Micronesia with the SAME 727 that delivered OUR part! They were flying a charter out of Anderson AFB.

77H

Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:33 pm

Strfyr, I’m well aware of UA’s MidPac services. If anything, your post highlighting all the unique and isolated island nations only strengthens my assertion that UA will certainly be keeping their GUM hub for the indefinite future.

Again, I’m lead to believe the yields both above and below wing on those flights are some of the highest in their system. I cannot think of one route pair UA could make more money /flight with a 737 in their entire system than operating those MidPac routes out of GUM and HNL.

77H

Max Q

Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:16 am

strfyr51 wrote:
77H wrote:

Additionally, since DL pulled down their GUM and SPN services, UA is the only US carrier operating into either. While the majority of inbound pax are from Asian countries such as Japan and South Korea, any US originating pax must use UA to get to GUM due to cabotage. Though there may be limited exceptions like the HA/JL JV. Cargo and mail are bound to the same rules giving UA a near monopoly on US to GUM lanes

77H

Just to be clear, United doesn't just fly to GUM, they fly all of Micronesia. Kwajalien, bYap, Palalu etc. that's all Ocean flying and the Islands are tiny. I was stationed at GUM while in the Navy and we flew Ocean surveilence out of GUM (NAS Agana) We Lost an engine and had to overnight at Kwajalien and LO and Behold? a Continental 747 lands, Taxi's up and the FE gets off walks over and Hands me a switch Package for our engine. walks back to his airplane and they Blast off to God knows where, I had our airplane foxed in an hour and we took off too, We overnighted at Clark AFB and Guess who pulls up next to us? Continental Air Micronesia with the SAME 727 that delivered OUR part! They were flying a charter out of Anderson AFB.

I like that story !

I do think you meant to say 727 and not
747 though

Air Mike did base the 747 out of Gum for
a while but I doubt they ever operated into Kwajalein