zrs70
Topic Author

There’s something special about XXX plane

Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:47 pm

There are some planes out there that have a little something special. And there are others that just seem like every other plane. I’m not talking about the interiors. I’m talking about the actual equipment.

Pretty much every narrowbody airbus and Boeing are the same. Sure, technology might vary. But for the most part you walk on and it looks like any other narrow body plane.

Here are the ones with that extra something special:

bac 146 ( or whatever the current variant of it is). Four engines mounted on a high wing. Enough said.

Anything in the DC9 family. We are mounted engines. 2×3 seating. It’s just different than most other mainline aircraft.

747 and A380. There’s a staircase in it. That’s just cool.

787. The wings are just beautiful. The windows are gorgeous.

The constellation. Those three tails are just unlike anything else.

That’s it. All other widebodies feel pretty much the same to me!
19 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2019

PatrickZ80

Re: There’s something special about XXX plane

Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:08 pm

zrs70 wrote:
Anything in the DC9 family. We are mounted engines. 2×3 seating. It’s just different than most other mainline aircraft.

It's pretty similar to the Fokker F-28 series (including F-70 / F-100). In that way it's not unique. The BAC 1-11 and Sud-Aviation Caravelle also shared this design.

aerorobnz

Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:03 pm

Anything old and not homogenized by modern economics is all good with me. Modern commercial aircraft (and cars) are all de-rated, fuel efficient and boring and not engineered to be the best, safest design they can be, just the cheapest to develop, buy and operate.

Of the modern era I appreciate the CS/A220 for being a bit different in configuration. Trijets and rear stairs under the tail gets extra points for being cool
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

Airstud

Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:48 am

zrs70 wrote:

and the L1011 has a elevator.

Yeah, it's just for crew; and in that case it's probably not the only plane that had/has that, but still. The L1011 is the correct passenger jet.

727 wins style-wise; it's pretty much righ out of The Jetsons.
Pancakes are delicious.

PatrickZ80

Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:32 pm

One aircraft that deserves to be mentioned is the Vickers VC-10. I know, it shares it's design with the Ilyushin IL-62, but together those two aircraft have a unique design with those double rear-mounted engines and a high T-tail.

triple3driver

Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:23 am

zrs70 wrote:
There are some planes out there that have a little something special. And there are others that just seem like every other plane. I’m not talking about the interiors. I’m talking about the actual equipment.

Pretty much every narrowbody airbus and Boeing are the same. Sure, technology might vary. But for the most part you walk on and it looks like any other narrow body plane.

Here are the ones with that extra something special:

bac 146 ( or whatever the current variant of it is). Four engines mounted on a high wing. Enough said.

787. The wings are just beautiful. The windows are gorgeous.

The constellation. Those three tails are just unlike anything else.

That’s it. All other widebodies feel pretty much the same to me!

Don't forget about the beautiful A350, with it's raccoon eyes and majestic wings with hands down the most unique and graceful sharklets to ever be placed on an aircraft.
I have no special talents, just a passion for flying

Max Q

Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:39 am

Concorde
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

Guns and the love of them by a loud minority are a malignant and deadly cancer inflicted on American society

September11

Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:41 am

PatrickZ80 wrote:
zrs70 wrote:

It's pretty similar to the Fokker F-28 series (including F-70 / F-100). In that way it's not unique. The BAC 1-11 and Sud-Aviation Caravelle also shared this design.

Just today, I came across an interior photo of BAC-111-200 ... 3x3 seating (maybe that is just one aircraft with 3x3 seating?)
Airliners.net of the Future

PatrickZ80

Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:52 am

September11 wrote:
Just today, I came across an interior photo of BAC-111-200 ... 3x3 seating (maybe that is just one aircraft with 3x3 seating?)

That must be an exception as the default interior for this plane was 2x3. No doubt it was possible to squeeze in an extra seat, but not by default.

This was for sure not possible with the Caravelle which already had a very narrow aisle in it's default 2x3 configuration. Therefor some planes were even configured in 2x2.

The Fokkers have always had a 2x3 configuration. They're the most similar to the DC-9.

conaly

Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:19 am

The Fokker F70/F100 and the BAe146s/Avros: split-tail Speedbrakes.

DC-10/MD-11: Dial-a-Flap for takeoff flaps. Any angle between 10 and 25° is manually selectable. Not sure if any other aircraft has this feature, as most commonly they have fixed flap positions.

Boeing 767-300: only commercial aircraft I could find with at least three completely different door layouts available:
- fullsize L1/R1 in the front, small overwing emergency exists L2/R2 L3/R3 and fullsize L4/R4 in the rear (i.e. with United Airlines)
- fullsize L1/R1 in the front, fullsize L2/R2 before the wings, small overwing emergency exist L3/R3 and fullsize L4/R4 in the rear (i.e. with Delta Air Lines)
- fullsize L1/R1 in the front, fullsize L2/R2 before the wings, smaller size L3/R3 behind the wings and fullsize L4/R4 in the rear (i.e. formerly with British Airways)
Airports 2019: ADB, ALG, AMD, ATL, BOS, CTS, DEL, DTW, DUS, EWR, FRA, HND, IST, JFK, MUC, NUE, PHL, SIN, STN, YYZ
Planned 2019: Nothing new so far, but another flight to HND and maybe some domestics in Japan will follow

lugie

Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:32 pm

conaly wrote:

DC-10/MD-11: Dial-a-Flap for takeoff flaps. Any angle between 10 and 25° is manually selectable. Not sure if any other aircraft has this feature, as most commonly they have fixed flap positions.

Boeing 767-300: only commercial aircraft I could find with at least three completely different door layouts available:
- fullsize L1/R1 in the front, small overwing emergency exists L2/R2 L3/R3 and fullsize L4/R4 in the rear (i.e. with United Airlines)
- fullsize L1/R1 in the front, fullsize L2/R2 before the wings, small overwing emergency exist L3/R3 and fullsize L4/R4 in the rear (i.e. with Delta Air Lines)
- fullsize L1/R1 in the front, fullsize L2/R2 before the wings, smaller size L3/R3 behind the wings and fullsize L4/R4 in the rear (i.e. formerly with British Airways)

I always thought the 767 with only L/R1 and L/R4 as full size doors looked kinda off, way too few doors proportional to the size of the aircraft. I was always baffled by the fact that such a configuration has the exact same number of exits as a higher-density A319.
Even more disproportionate imo was the 762 which, as a long-haul widebody, had the same exit configuration as an E190 - I optically prefer the versions with 3 or 4 full exits a lot.
DH4 E75 E90 CR9 CRK M88 319 320 321 332 333 359 733 73G 738 739 748 764 772 788
X3 LH 4U TP US SN EI FR IB LX LA CM UA DL AA AS WN
FRA STR HAM TXL MUC ZRH ACE BRU BLL DUB MAN ARN MAD OPO LIS FNC AMS PHL RDU LGA CLT EWR ORD ATL SFO MDW SJO PTY

acjbbj

Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:02 pm

DC-10 and MD-11: Third engine goes straight through the tail. No other trijet has ever had this design.
Douglas Aircraft Company
Born: 22 July 1921 (Santa Monica, CA)
Died: 23 May 2006 (Long Beach, CA), age 84 years 10 months 1 day
You will be missed.

Max Q

Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:51 am

conaly wrote:

The DC9, MD80 and 717 all have ‘dial a flap’

Guns and the love of them by a loud minority are a malignant and deadly cancer inflicted on American society

conaly

Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:55 am

Max Q wrote:

Allright, didn't know that. That makes it unique to McDonnell-Douglas Jets I suppose?
Airports 2019: ADB, ALG, AMD, ATL, BOS, CTS, DEL, DTW, DUS, EWR, FRA, HND, IST, JFK, MUC, NUE, PHL, SIN, STN, YYZ
Planned 2019: Nothing new so far, but another flight to HND and maybe some domestics in Japan will follow

Max Q

Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:03 am

conaly wrote:
Max Q wrote:

Allright, didn't know that. That makes it unique to McDonnell-Douglas Jets I suppose?

I think that’s the case with that particular mechanical system yes

However I was just reading the new A321XLR will have a form of ‘dial a flap’
where you can select a specific angle, other than the fixed, gated positions through the FMC

Incidentally, we very rarely used the dial
a flap function on the MD80

The only times I remember utilizing that
selection were on departure from Mexico City for maximum performance, one take off we used a Flaps 4 setting which is a minimal deflection, almost a slats only take off which we were authorized to do as well

BoeingGuy

Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:21 am

Max Q wrote:
conaly wrote:
Max Q wrote:

where you can select a specific angle, other than the fixed, gated positions through the FMC

selection were on departure from Mexico City for maximum performance, one take off we used a Flaps 4 setting which is a minimal deflection, almost a slats only take off which we were authorized to do as well

The 787-9, -10 and 777-9 don’t have dial a flap, but they have three additional fixed settings - 10, 17, 18 - in addition to the other setting. This allows a greater selection of takeoff flap setting for optimization.

Max Q

Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:59 am

BoeingGuy wrote:
Max Q wrote:
conaly wrote:

The 787-9, -10 and 777-9 don’t have dial a flap, but they have three additional fixed settings - 10, 17, 18 - in addition to the other setting. This allows a greater selection of takeoff flap setting for optimization.

I noticed that on the flap selector handle
in a cockpit photo

Interesting, especially having two settings only one degree apart, the performance advantages must be significant

BoeingGuy

Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:28 am

Max Q wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:
Max Q wrote:

in a cockpit photo

Interesting, especially having two settings only one degree apart, the performance advantages must be significant

Boeing looked at some different solutions. On idea was to keep the traditional flap handle settings like the 777 and 787-8. The Flaps 15 detent would be used for all the new takeoff settings. You’d select 10, 15, 17, or 18 in the CDU for the exact setting, while putting the flap handle to 15. Ultimately it was decided to have flap handle detect settings for each specific flap setting.

Max Q

Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:18 am

BoeingGuy wrote:
Max Q wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:

in a cockpit photo

Boeing looked at some different solutions. On idea was to keep the traditional flap handle settings like the 777 and 787-8. The Flaps 15 detent would be used for all the new takeoff settings. You’d select 10, 15, 17, or 18 in the CDU for the exact setting, while putting the flap handle to 15. Ultimately it was decided to have flap handle detect settings for each specific flap setting.

It does look odd, the standard Boeing flap
handle is a model of simplicity, unlike the MD’s with their dial a flap and ‘under the handle’ slat retract lever

But putting the selectable detents on the handle clearly visible makes more sense for clarity and awareness

Looks like AB has gone the other way with the 321 XLR

Thanks for the information