tomaheath
Topic Author

48 minute connection in ATL.

Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:52 pm

When I booked this flight months ago there was a 2 hour lay over when checking last night noticed it had changed to 48 minutes. This is a domestic to domestic flight 739 to A320 equipment. Will there be ample time for this connection? What are my options if missed? Next available flight would be on the following day.

GalaxyFlyer

Re: 48 minute connection in ATL.

Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:12 pm

All Delta? If so, don’t tarry, check the boards and move right along and you’ll be okay. I’ve made a connection in 15 minutes and changed concourses via the subway. My inbound flight from FLL was an hour late that time. Bags didn’t make it, but they showed up later.

Pet peeve, why on parking at the gate do people think a cocktail party just broke out? Stand up, if you can reach in and get your overhead and MOVE! Making connections is a lot tougher when people start gabbing and act surprised when it’s their turn to get off the plane.
GF
Last edited by GalaxyFlyer on Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PITingres

Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:14 pm

If the inbound isn't late and you're not sitting in the back rows, it's probably doable. I think I'd try to get an earlier first leg if at all possible. If you miss, sounds like you're waiting until the next day.
Fly, you fools! Fly!

tomaheath
Topic Author

Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:21 pm

I’m sitting up front in comfort+. I contacted delta and there was no other options for that day.

N776AU

Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:11 pm

You'll be just fine. Just don't screw around and be the last one off the plane or anything. Since you're in Comfort+, that won't be much an issue. Most of the 737s and A320s tend to hang around concourse A, so there's a good chance you won't even have to change concourses. Even in the off chance your 737 is going international next and parking at E or F, the train will get you there in good time.
Careful, doors are closing, and will not reopen. Please wait for the next train.

raffy

Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:58 am

As long as your inbound flight to ATL is on time (and that can be a big if, particularly if the weather is bad), you'll be fine and will easily make that 48 minute connection. The train system is very good and you should be able to get to your next flight within 20 minutes of getting out of the inbound flight.

I sometimes connect through ATL from HSV, and I've had problems in the past where the HSV-ATL flight was held on a ground hold due to air traffic in the ATL area. Flying from HSV to ATL is a quick 25 minute or so flight, so I guess the ATL ATC folks don't want to be overwhelmed by a short flight like that suddenly entering their airspace. And more than once, that ground hold led to the HSV-ATL flight being late and my missing my connection. So that would be the only caveat.

Not sure where you're flying from, but since you're on a 737-900 coming in, I know you're not flying out of HSV, LOL! If you're coming in from a larger city, you probably won't have to worry too much about ATC issues. Watch the weather, though - that can sometimes get you into connection trouble at ATL.

If you don't have it already, I encourage you to get the Flightradar24 app for your smartphone. With it, you can track your connecting flight's aircraft to find out if it's running on time.

tomaheath
Topic Author

Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:40 am

Thanks for the information!