zrs70
Topic Author

I admit it - I stereotype rude travellers

Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:12 pm

I’m sitting the the DTW Delta Sky Club. Most people are respected the quiet of the club. But one guy behind me had a booming voice and was holding a FaceTime conversation on speaker phone. His voice permeated every crevice. I thought to myself:

“Let’s see if I can guest what this guy looks like....”

1. Overweight
2. Shirt unbuttoned below the third button
3. Feet propped on table
4. Three cookies on plate.

I was right on three out of four. He had four cookies on his plate.
19 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2019

aerorobnz

Re: I admit it - I stereotype rude travellers

Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:27 am

Yep it's a knack. After many years in the industry and regular passenger flying I can do the same kind of 'accurate profiling' (rather than stereotyping..;-))I have played such games as
- spot the last passenger to the gate at the check-in area
- guess what the drunk on the inbound arrival looks like
- look across the gate lounge and spot who will kick off if the flight gets cancelled.
There are many cool games to invent
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

Chemist

Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:10 am

How about the "how much trouble will that person have stuffing their carryons into the overhead" game?

stlgph

Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:25 pm

If someone at an airport or on an airplane has to have a speakerphone conversation, it's totally fair game to join.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

PSAatSAN4Ever

Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:11 am

"How Many Religious Miracles Will Occur During My Flight?" is my favorite game.

The more elderly needing special assistance there are at take-off is directly proportional to the number of miraculous healings that will occur en route. That couple that needed every flight attendant to get them to their seats will run over those flight attendants, every passenger, and every bystander that gets in their way of the baggage claim. And that same little old lady somehow now can swing that heavy overhead bag like nunchuks at arrival.

I also play "which (insert whatever nasty name you wish) in the back put their bags up front, taking my space?"

bgm

Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:36 am

zrs70 wrote:
I’m sitting the the DTW Delta Sky Club. Most people are respected the quiet of the club. But one gay behind me had a booming voice and was holding a FaceTime conversation on speaker phone. His voice permeated every crevice. I thought to myself:

1. Overweight
3. Feet propped on table

Wow, so glad you are not my rabbi. Of course, the guy‘s behavior is awful, but critiquing someone’s weight and fashion. Wow, just wow. Charming. :sarcastic:

Also, what does the guy’s sexuality have to do with anything?
████ ███ █ ███████ ██ █ █████ ██ ████ [redacted]

zrs70
Topic Author

Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:20 am

bgm wrote:
zrs70 wrote:
I’m sitting the the DTW Delta Sky Club. Most people are respected the quiet of the club. But one gay behind me had a booming voice and was holding a FaceTime conversation on speaker phone. His voice permeated every crevice. I thought to myself:

1. Overweight
3. Feet propped on table

Wow, so glad you are not my rabbi. Of course, the guy‘s behavior is awful, but critiquing someone’s weight and fashion. Wow, just wow. Charming. :sarcastic:

Wow! Just reread my post. Should have been “one GUY” behind me.

That said, major lack of judgement on my part. You are 1000% correct.
19 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2019

lightsaber

Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:44 pm

zrs70 wrote:
bgm wrote:
zrs70 wrote:

1. Overweight
3. Feet propped on table

Wow! Just reread my post. Should have been “one GUY” behind me.

That said, major lack of judgement on my part. You are 1000% correct.

With the cost of pre-diabieties, perhaps there should be more discussion. Anyone overweight is prescribed by my doctor to one desert per week and that is one of today's size cookies. His overweight is less than today's normal. (He used the anesthesia tables as his guide.) Sigh... Instead of feet proped up, walk the terminal for steps!

I have corrected the typo to guy.

But anyone talking on a speaker phone in public is being rude and thus fair game. My favorite "does their spouse allow what they did last weekend?"

No one would care about his fashion if he took care of himself.

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

IAHFLYR

Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:53 pm

I'll go one further and add the mindless dumb travelers to the list.

You know the guy, you just don't want to be "THAT GUY"!!! :shakehead:

1. He is the guy when you get to the entrance of the Elite and/or Pre-Check security line that cannot find his boarding pass or if it's on his phone he has turned it off, so you wait on him.
2. Then he is the guy who get goes through Pre-Check ahead of you and now wants to talk on the phone as he arrives at the TSA Officer stand to scan his boarding pass so you wait again. :shock:
3. He gets past the TSA Officer scanning his boarding pass and at the conveyor belt while another TSA Officer is telling the Pre-Check folks to leave the liquid/laptops in your luggage he is taking them out.
4. Of course he has left a 12 oz bottle of water in his backpack so now again, wait as they stop the belt to take out his water bottle and throw it away.
5. You finally think you're finished with this tool only to find him standing next to you in the Club at the bar demanding the bartender recognize his status and give him the drink that costs rather than pay for it.
6. At the gate for your flight you are free of this fella....ah wrong, he barges past everyone in line to get to the front of it as he is Elite...we are all Elite in this line fella. :white:
7. Ahhh boarding guess who has left their boarding pass in the Club?
8. Of course after he returns from the Club he is your seatmate......and since you can't stab yourself in the heart you just sit there and wonder "why me"!! :hissyfit:

We've all seen this stuff and I only hope it doesn't happen again, but it will and you know it will. :banghead: :talktothehand:
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

N14AZ

Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:09 pm

zrs70 wrote:
I’m sitting the the DTW Delta Sky Club. Most people are respected the quiet of the club. But one guy behind me had a booming voice and was holding a FaceTime conversation on speaker phone. His voice permeated every crevice. I thought to myself:

1. Overweight
3. Feet propped on table

Watch out! He might be an a.net member as well ..,

Does anybody remember the story - it was another FF forum - where one member complained about a loud guy with bad behavior and this person later replied in the same thread? Oops ...

zrs70 wrote:
Feet propped on table

I hate when people do this. It’s disgusting, considering that other people might eat from that table...

n729pa

Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:13 am

You can guarantee (its happened to me a few times) you see someone behaving in a certain way and you think thank god I got away from them, only for a while later you see them again at your gate for your flight!

Stage 2 of this of course is you see this person again or it first happened at the gate, and it's. ."I hope they're not going to be sat next to me" and you're now looking for them in the aisle .."go on go on keep going" ...hoping they'll pass your row and then they stop ..." oh for ......sake" they only end up next to you on the plane!

As for the guy on the speaker phone well .... what I do in our office at work is repsond to what they are saying with my own answers it tends to put them off, or least gives the rest of us something to laugh at.

mchei

Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:18 pm

The game I like the most:

Aircraft parks at a remote stand. Flight was 45 minutes long.

What is the loudest guy going to shout through his phone in the crowded bus?

Some answers:
- Only EUR 3,000,000,000,000? Let’s do this!
- I just landed. 5,000 mails in 30 seconds. Crazy day.
- Kick (insert name) out. He is useless!

Normally, I p*ss my pants when listening to these „conversations“
F70-F100-E145-E170-E190-319-320-321-735–736-737-738-752-763–742-744-333-343-ATR72-Metroliner-Saab2000-Lockheed Electra-C172-C182-C182RG-MD11

TheEuphorian

Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:30 pm

Adding some to the thread:

>People on LCCs that talk for an entire 3-hour flight in a 189-seater 737-800.
>Same group of people that instantly stand up as soon as the plane touches down to get their carry-on baggage.