lightmac
Topic Author

One-big-airport nations

Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:14 am

Many smaller nations have ONE big gateway/hub, while the smaller airports really are insignificant. In Finnland for example, Helsinki has
18,8 mio passengers anully, while the second biggest, Oulu, only has 0,8. So the capital airport is 23 times bigger then the next bigger airport. That is a big gap!
In the Netherlands AMS with 58,2 mio is followed by Eindhoven Airport with 4,3, making Schiphol 13 times bigger then its next domestic compeitor.
In Austria, it is Vienna with 24,3 vs. Salzburg with 1,8 (that is exactely the same proportion as in the Netherlands, actually).
Still, some smaller nations such as Switzerland have two big gateways (25 mio. vs. 15 mio). What drives these differences? What other examples of smaller nations with a very (de-)/centralised airport scene are you aware?

76er

Re: One-big-airport nations

Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:23 am

EIN isn’t really a competitor to AMS, as the Schiphol Group owns 51% of EIN. Besides, the Netherlands being more of less the size of Connecticut, one large airport seems te be plenty enough. ;)

PatrickZ80

Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:12 am

Hungary is truly a one airport country as it is all concentrated at Budapest. Debrecen, the second-largest airport in Hungary, sees only a fraction of the passenger numbers of Budapest.

PatrickZ80

Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:08 pm

By the way, you might want to check this out:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1418239

It's a quick overview of the difference between the largest and second-largest airport by country. Seems like Czech and Hungary have the largest differences. Those countries are the most focused on one central airport.

rufusmi

Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:54 pm

Qatar only has one big airport, DOH, with only 4 airports total in the whole country.

Austin787

Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:40 pm

Iceland has just one major airport, KEF.

Gr8Circle

Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:33 pm

SIN, MRU, Oman (MCT)

Wednesdayite

Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:00 am

Switzerland may have a relatively small area, but it’s not a quick country to travel around by car or train.

Zürich are Geneva are what - 3 or 4 hours from each other by car? It makes sense that they’d share capacity. One airport for the east of the country. Another for the west.

Finland may be much bigger (area wise), but the majority of the population and economic base is more focused into one small part of the country.
A318/19/20/21/30/40. B717/27/37/47/57/67/77/87. CRJ2/7. ERJ145/175/190. FKR50. IL62. MD11/82/83/88. TU154.
AA AC AF AI AR AS AT AV AZ BA BW BY CO DA DL F9 FR JJ KL LH MA NW NZ OS RG SU TK U2 UA US VS WN

Jutlander

Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:45 am

Denmark is odd. It has one big hub (CPH) which is all the way at the edge of the country near the Swedish border. Due to it's location it's inconvenient for anyone outside Copenhagen. You have to cross the city to get to the airport.

The airports outside CPH are much smaller, BLL only having a fraction of the pax numbers of CPH. But while in other countries the hub airport is in a central location in the country this is not the case in Denmark. It does result in a lot of Swedes crossing the border to fly from CPH as it's catchment area does extend into Sweden but large parts of Denmark are outside the CPH catchment area.

Coal

Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:59 am

Singapore, with SIN and XSP.

All turbo prop ops (so far just Firefly) have moved to XSP. There's rumors there will be other turbo prop operators (Malindo, GA perhaps) launching turboprop ops at XSP. While SIN will remain all jet.
Nxt Flts: KE SIN-ICN-ATL | DL ATL-FLL | AA MIA-ATL | KE ATL-ICN-SIN

Tenaja85

Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:41 pm

TLV for Israel, PRG for Czechia, ADD for Ethiopia, ACC for Ghana, NBO for Kenya. Not for all, but for a lot of these countries they have small, concentrated populations or one major city where the majority of the traveling population lives, along with a major hubbing airline that funnels a lot of connections through the airport.

ZKSUJ

Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:48 am

AKL for New Zealand. Comparitively bigger than anything else in the country. Alot of the Pacific Islands also spring to mind

Francoflier

Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:08 am

Well, VHHH is not particularly overburdened by the competition from VHSK...

:duck:
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

BWIAirport

Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:17 pm

The US just has DTW, apparently
Next flight: November 23 BA216 IAD-LHR A388
November 24 BA814 LHR-CPH A320

SWA, UAL, DAL, AWE, ASA, TRS, DLH, CLH, AFR, BAW, EIN, AAL | E190 DC94 CRJ2 B712 B733 B737 B738 B739 B744 B752 B753 B762 B77W A319 A320 A321 A333 A343 A388 MD88

wave46

Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:55 pm

Jutlander wrote:
Denmark is odd. It has one big hub (CPH) which is all the way at the edge of the country near the Swedish border. Due to it's location it's inconvenient for anyone outside Copenhagen. You have to cross the city to get to the airport.

The airports outside CPH are much smaller, BLL only having a fraction of the pax numbers of CPH. But while in other countries the hub airport is in a central location in the country this is not the case in Denmark. It does result in a lot of Swedes crossing the border to fly from CPH as it's catchment area does extend into Sweden but large parts of Denmark are outside the CPH catchment area.

Sure, but the Copenhagen region has something like 1/3 of the country's population. No other city comes close to its prominence in Denmark.

Given the excellent rail connections and the fact the Denmark is relatively small (Copenhagen to Skagen is only 530km by road) I wouldn't expect a major airport anywhere else in the country. I was surprised at the number of destinations out of Billund airport though.

fallap

Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:45 pm

Jutlander wrote:

CPH Airport can be reached by rail from any part of the country, so you do not need to cross the city. Those living in the Jutland Peninsula often opt for Billund Airport that serves a minor range of international carriers such as KLM, Turkish Airlines, Brussels, Lufthansa, and Air France - at prices somewhat competitive with those offered by flights in and out of CPH.
Ex grease monkey buried head to toe inside an F-16M
Now studying Political Science

Yflyer

Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:10 pm

ZKSUJ wrote:
Alot of the Pacific Islands also spring to mind

I've always wondered how many countries literally only have one airport that handles commercial flights. Nauru of course comes to mind, as the world's smallest independent nation and a tiny island containing one airport. It's not a big airport by any definition, but it's the only airport. I'm sure some other Pacific island nations also fall into this category. And possibly some Caribbean nations.

filipinoavgeek

Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:55 am

Yflyer wrote:
ZKSUJ wrote:

I've always wondered how many countries literally only have one airport that handles commercial flights. Nauru of course comes to mind, as the world's smallest independent nation and a tiny island containing one airport. It's not a big airport by any definition, but it's the only airport. I'm sure some other Pacific island nations also fall into this category. And possibly some Caribbean nations.

It's more interesting that there are countries (such as Andorra, Liechtenstein, the Vatican, Monaco, and San Marino) that have no airports at all! Though of course they may have easy transportation links to a nearby country that does have airports, and some have heliports.

PatrickZ80

Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:43 am

filipinoavgeek wrote:
Yflyer wrote:
ZKSUJ wrote:

It's more interesting that there are countries (such as Andorra, Liechtenstein, the Vatican, Monaco, and San Marino) that have no airports at all! Though of course they may have easy transportation links to a nearby country that does have airports, and some have heliports.

I think Luxembourg is the worlds largest country with only one commercial airport in the whole country. Sure there are Noertrange airfield and Useldange gliderfield, but they're for general aviation only. They're far too small for anything commercial.

hoons90

Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:05 pm

Yflyer wrote:
ZKSUJ wrote:

If I'm not mistaken, Albania has only one airport with regularly scheduled commercial flights. Tirana Airport.
The biggest mistake made by most human beings: Listening to only half, understanding just a quarter and telling double.

FlyRow

Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:25 pm

hoons90 wrote:
Yflyer wrote:
ZKSUJ wrote:

If I'm not mistaken, Albania has only one airport with regularly scheduled commercial flights. Tirana Airport.

Slovenia and Ljubljana , as maribor has no flights.
F70-F100-RJ85-RJ70-E190-319-320-321-733-734-735-737-738-752-753-763-764-772-744-380

FlyRow

Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:27 pm

FlyRow wrote:
hoons90 wrote:
Yflyer wrote:

PatrickZ80 wrote:
filipinoavgeek wrote:

I think Luxembourg is the worlds largest country with only one commercial airport in the whole country. Sure there are Noertrange airfield and Useldange gliderfield, but they're for general aviation only. They're far too small for anything commercial.

Slovenia and Ljubljana , as maribor has no flights and the rest is local
F70-F100-RJ85-RJ70-E190-319-320-321-733-734-735-737-738-752-753-763-764-772-744-380