Coal
Topic Author

ATL Connecting Time Int'l to Domestic

Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:23 am

Hi

What should be a reasonable connecting time from an int'l flight (KE 35, landing around 10am) to a domestic flight (ATL to either MIA or FLL) on separate tickets?

I have not yet bought the domestic ticket, but I am considering either AA ATL-MIA (but connecting time is 6 hours, which is way too long). I am also considering DL or B6 to FLL, in which case I am looking at a connecting time of 2-4 hours.

I have an APEC card and in my experience this usually makes immigration very quick (last experience was at Miami, it took a couple of mins as there was no line). But also need to consider luggage (will be in J, so should have priority tags).

Any guidance is appreciated!
Nxt Flts: KE SIN-ICN-ATL | DL ATL-FLL | AA MIA-ATL | KE ATL-ICN-SIN

BWIAirport

Re: ATL Connecting Time Int'l to Domestic

Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:01 pm

Landing at 10am you should be ahead of most of the European arrivals and I have found ATL's customs and immigration to be very quick. My only connecting experience was on the same ticket, so I can't speak to your situation completely. That being said, giving yourself about 4 hours should be safe and add some buffer in case KE35 is delayed at all.
Next flight: November 23 BA216 IAD-LHR A388
November 24 BA814 LHR-CPH A320

SWA, UAL, DAL, AWE, ASA, TRS, DLH, CLH, AFR, BAW, EIN, AAL | E190 DC94 CRJ2 B712 B733 B737 B738 B739 B744 B752 B753 B762 B77W A319 A320 A321 A333 A343 A388 MD88

Coal
Topic Author

Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:09 am

Thanks a lot! I will likely book a DL flight in domestic F so hoping that (1) they can tag my bags all the way to FLL so I just need to pick up luggage and re-check + get a boarding pass issued in SIN [origin] and (2) also hoping if I miss my 12:15pm flight I can easily get rebooked on the ~2pm flight.

raffy

Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:17 pm

Provided your flight into ATL is on time, 2 hours is plenty of time to make your connection, even if you get hung up for a bit at customs/immigration. The ATL airport has a separate security line for connecting international passengers (separate from the main line of people entering from the outside), and that is very nice and usually very quick. I have had 2 recent international experiences in ATL: the first was in mid February of this year and the other was about 3 weeks ago. Customs and immigration took about an hour to get through in February, which was not great, but I still had plenty of time to make my connection since it was ~ 2 hours after arrival of the international flight. About 3 weeks ago getting through customs / immigration was quite quick, less than 15 minutes. I didn't have a connecting flight that time, so that wasn't an issue.

In your case, connecting at 12:15 PM after a 10 AM international arrival in ATL is very reasonable (provided your arrival is on time, of course!). Don't worry about which gate the connecting flight goes out of; getting around between terminals is quite speedy using the airport train. IMO, ATL is one of the best international airports in the USA. They really manage both aircraft and passengers quite well there, which is amazing when one considers that it is the busiest airport in the world! Things can get messed up when there is bad weather, though, so that is something you should watch when going through there.

Coal
Topic Author

Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:22 am

raffy wrote:
Provided your flight into ATL is on time, 2 hours is plenty of time to make your connection, even if you get hung up for a bit at customs/immigration. The ATL airport has a separate security line for connecting international passengers (separate from the main line of people entering from the outside), and that is very nice and usually very quick. I have had 2 recent international experiences in ATL: the first was in mid February of this year and the other was about 3 weeks ago. Customs and immigration took about an hour to get through in February, which was not great, but I still had plenty of time to make my connection since it was ~ 2 hours after arrival of the international flight. About 3 weeks ago getting through customs / immigration was quite quick, less than 15 minutes. I didn't have a connecting flight that time, so that wasn't an issue.

In your case, connecting at 12:15 PM after a 10 AM international arrival in ATL is very reasonable (provided your arrival is on time, of course!). Don't worry about which gate the connecting flight goes out of; getting around between terminals is quite speedy using the airport train. IMO, ATL is one of the best international airports in the USA. They really manage both aircraft and passengers quite well there, which is amazing when one considers that it is the busiest airport in the world! Things can get messed up when there is bad weather, though, so that is something you should watch when going through there.

Awesome! Thanks a lot for the info.

IAHFLYR

Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:56 pm

If have the ability to add the DL ATL-FLL segment on to the KE itinerary without any additional fees applied then you might want to think about doing that very thing. If you do then if you're a miss-connect DL will automatically re-book you on the next available flight.

Should you still want to have two separate tickets issued, you can check in for the DL flight 24 hours prior and either print your boarding pass from ATL-FLL or us the DL App which is actually pretty good to store the boarding pass in the wallet so you already have it with you.

Safe travels.
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

Coal
Topic Author

Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:50 am

IAHFLYR wrote:
If have the ability to add the DL ATL-FLL segment on to the KE itinerary without any additional fees applied then you might want to think about doing that very thing. If you do then if you're a miss-connect DL will automatically re-book you on the next available flight.

Should you still want to have two separate tickets issued, you can check in for the DL flight 24 hours prior and either print your boarding pass from ATL-FLL or us the DL App which is actually pretty good to store the boarding pass in the wallet so you already have it with you.

Safe travels.

Hmmm I see. So as of now I have three separate bookings:

(1) SIN-ICN-ATL-ICN-SIN on KE on one PNR
(2) ATL-FLL on DL (award) on another PNR
(3) FLL-ATL on DL (paid fare) on another PNR

I was thinking of getting to the airport early at SIN and see if they can stitch the PNRs or at the least check me all the way through (luggage and boarding pass).

I'm now more concerned about the connection in ICN as it is only 55 mins and the SIN-ICN flight tends to land ~15-20 mins late.

opticalilyushin

Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:12 am

I flew SCL-ATL-MSP in April, and from disembarking- immigration-security-departure gates was about 10 mins, the arrivals hall was empty, but it was early morning

Cubsrule

Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:35 pm

Are you checking bags? If you are and the KE agents can’t or won’t stitch the PNRs, that will complicate things significantly.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

Coal
Topic Author

Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:48 pm

opticalilyushin wrote:
I flew SCL-ATL-MSP in April, and from disembarking- immigration-security-departure gates was about 10 mins, the arrivals hall was empty, but it was early morning

Great! Thanks for letting me know.

Coal
Topic Author

Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:49 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
Are you checking bags? If you are and the KE agents can’t or won’t stitch the PNRs, that will complicate things significantly.

I'm debating... Usually I just fly with a Tumi carryon, but on the other hand I plan to do a lot of shopping and bring some stuff back, so probably need a big luggage.

Cubsrule

Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:48 pm

Coal wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

I'm debating... Usually I just fly with a Tumi carryon, but on the other hand I plan to do a lot of shopping and bring some stuff back, so probably need a big luggage.

Checking a bag is going to slow you down if it's not checked through. I'm not sure whether the DL recheck folks at Terminal F will check it to FLL on the new itinerary. If not, you're going to have to take the shuttle around to the domestic terminal, recheck it there, and clear the generally longer TSA lines there. I'd plan on an hour and a half minimum from leaving customs to back airside.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

Coal
Topic Author

Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:11 pm

For those curious, I had a very tight (~25 min) connection in ICN which I made with time to spare, and KE 35 ended up arriving in ATL 40 mins early. Immigration and customs took less than 5 mins and was even able to catch an earlier connecting flight to FLL.

RJNUT

Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:18 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
Coal wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

Checking a bag is going to slow you down if it's not checked through. I'm not sure whether the DL recheck folks at Terminal F will check it to FLL on the new itinerary. If not, you're going to have to take the shuttle around to the domestic terminal, recheck it there, and clear the generally longer TSA lines there. I'd plan on an hour and a half minimum from leaving customs to back airside.

I've never had problems with bag recheck after customs on a new ticket

IAHFLYR

Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:28 pm

Coal wrote:
For those curious, I had a very tight (~25 min) connection in ICN which I made with time to spare, and KE 35 ended up arriving in ATL 40 mins early. Immigration and customs took less than 5 mins and was even able to catch an earlier connecting flight to FLL.

Congrats.
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.