Ionosphere
Topic Author

The Inflight Movies on Flights that Crashed

Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:58 am

I find it interesting to learn what movies where shown on flights that crashed. Here's a list of flights I know. Anyone have any to add?

United on 9/11 (UA93 & UA/175) = A Knight's Tale

American on 9/11 (AA11 & AA77) = Dr. Doolittle II

TWA 800 = The Birdcage

Pan Am 103 = Crocodile Dundee II

N292UX

Re: The Inflight Movies on Flights that Crashed

Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:36 am

If MH 777s had PTVs, then I'm guessing that the passengers on MH 370/MH 17 had a bunch of options. I'm assuming AF's A330s had PTVs, or at the very minimum, were playing movies, so passengers on AF 447 probably would've had something, too.

I know the NW/DL A330s had PTVs, so passengers on NW 253 would've had options. That flight obviously wasn't fatal, but it was a very serious incident, nonetheless.

N292UX

Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:38 am

A little off topic, but similar, AA's DC-10s had a projector showing the view from the front of the plane in the cockpit. So pax on AA 191 would've been able to watch their plane plunge into the ground just after takeoff. That's horrifying to think about.

GalaxyFlyer

Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:42 am

N292UX wrote:
A little off topic, but similar, AA's DC-10s had a projector showing the view from the front of the plane in the cockpit. So pax on AA 191 would've been able to watch their plane plunge into the ground just after takeoff. That's horrifying to think about.

Not nearly as horrifying as watching it.

GF

N292UX

Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:53 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
N292UX wrote:

Not nearly as horrifying as watching it.

GF

Probably true. Something you never think you'll see happen but it's horrendous to watch. Especially when 250+ people lose their lives right in front of your eyes.

LAX772LR

Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:17 am

N292UX wrote:

That's often mentioned, but it's doubtful that any of them (even if paying attention) would've had time to realize/react to the roll + loss of altitude, in the time it actually took to happen.

Contrary to so many of the video reenactments, which depict the aircraft slowly rolling to port, then gradually descending downward to impact while the pilots struggle.... the actual roll and loss of altitude was extremely sudden and abrupt.

You can see it yourself in the following montage:
While the angle is a bit deceptive, the aircraft rolls, inverts, and finally impacts; having barely traversed the distance spanned by those white buildings from the moment the stall began.

They went from fully-level flight, to impact, in the blink of an eye.
They may not have even had time to scream, much less see/understand it on a screen. :crying:

I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

keesje

Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:35 am

I always wondered about MH370. All passenger seats & overhead displays had the standard moving map display and all could have seen they were flying the wrong direction, for hours. Or that it was turned off, also raising questions. Specially when they were flying low. And hundreds of people had smart phones with GPS too.. cabin crew would ask cockpit I assume. Has 1 pilot covered all this?
"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway

yabeweb

Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:37 am

keesje wrote:
I always wondered about MH370. All passenger seats & overhead displays had the standard moving map display and all could have seen they were flying the wrong direction, for hours. Or that it was turned off, also raising questions. Specially when they were flying low. And hundreds of people had smart phones with GPS too.. cabin crew would ask cockpit I assume. Has 1 pilot covered all this?

I do not think your phone GPS works very well on a plane...

spacecadet

Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:28 am

LAX772LR wrote:
N292UX wrote:

That's often mentioned, but it's doubtful that any of them (even if paying attention) would've had time to realize/react to the roll + loss of altitude, in the time it actually took to happen.

Contrary to so many of the video reenactments, which depict the aircraft slowly rolling to port, then gradually descending downward to impact while the pilots struggle.... the actual roll and loss of altitude was extremely sudden and abrupt.

It took 11 seconds. Count that off yourself.

The total flight time was 31 seconds. The engine went over the wing before that. I think it's pretty clear that the passengers would have known something was wrong.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

TheFlyingDisk

Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:28 am

yabeweb wrote:
keesje wrote:

It depends though. In a window seat, the GPS can work fine. I tried using my iPhone 6's GPS on an A320 flight & it worked well - showed that my speed was an absolutely astounding 620 km/h.

As for MH370's passengers - you have to remember it's a night time flight. I'm pretty sure many of the passengers are either asleep or in the process of going to sleep
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

LAX772LR

Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:52 am

spacecadet wrote:
I think it's pretty clear that the passengers would have known something was wrong.

Obviously, no one's disputing that.

The statement was that they may not have had time to react specifically to watching the plane "plunge to the ground" on a screen.

smokeybandit

Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:06 am

What about their meals that flight?

Quite the morbid thread

millionsofmiles

Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:24 am

LAX772LR wrote:
N292UX wrote:

While the angle is a bit deceptive, the aircraft rolls, inverts, and finally impacts; having barely traversed the distance spanned by those white buildings from the moment the stall began.

They may not have even had time to scream, much less see/understand it on a screen. :crying:

Not true. If you have ever had a near-death experience, as I have, you would know that time...and your perception...literally slows to a crawl when facing your imminent demise. You may not understand what is happening but even 11 seconds feels like an eternity.

None of us were there and, therefore, none of us will ever know what went on onboard 191 in that brief span of time but the concept of time slowing to a crawl is a well-known phenomenon.

LAX772LR

Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:29 am

spacecadet wrote:
It took 11 seconds.

11 seconds was the beginning of rightward input against the leftward roll.

The aircraft did not pitch down until 3seconds before impact.

millionsofmiles wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
much less see/understand it

Not true. If you have ever had a near-death experience, as I have, you would know that time...and your perception...literally slows to a crawl when facing your imminent demise. You may not understand what is happening but even 11 seconds feels like an eternity.

You literally contradicted your own rebuttal in the span of two sentences....
Last edited by LAX772LR on Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheEuphorian

Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:42 am

N292UX wrote:
If MH 777s had PTVs, then I'm guessing that the passengers on MH 370/MH 17 had a bunch of options. I'm assuming AF's A330s had PTVs, or at the very minimum, were playing movies, so passengers on AF 447 probably would've had something, too.

I know the NW/DL A330s had PTVs, so passengers on NW 253 would've had options. That flight obviously wasn't fatal, but it was a very serious incident, nonetheless.

MH's 777s did have PTVs, seen below:

millionsofmiles

Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:23 am

LAX772LR wrote:
spacecadet wrote:
It took 11 seconds.

millionsofmiles wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
much less see/understand it

Not at all. You just can’t handle the fact that you are wrong. The concept of time slowing to a crawl has nothing to do with an understanding of what is happening.

spartanmjf

Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:44 am

While this was not on a flight that crashed, I flew on N739PA with a group of high school students in March 1988. We took a picture of the group in front of a window with the nose of the aircraft (and the name, Clipper Maid of the Seas) visible. The flight from FRA to JFK featured the film 'Octopussy.'
"Nuts to the man in 21D!"

peterinlisbon

Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:32 pm

keesje wrote:

I think the passengers would have lost consciousness within a few minutes if the theory that the plane was depressurized is correct. If the moving maps were not turned off along with everything else, they would probably have just assumed the plane was returning to Kuala Lumpur to land there.

Rudenko

Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:44 pm

I still have the inflight mag from July 2014 on MH and one of the songs was “ summer” by Calvin Harris.
I flew KUL- MEL on 9M-MRL and the PTVS were pretty poor at that time.

Regarding TWA 800 was the film not Dragonheart ? With Sean Connery?

steeler83

Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:51 pm

spartanmjf wrote:
While this was not on a flight that crashed, I flew on N739PA with a group of high school students in March 1988. We took a picture of the group in front of a window with the nose of the aircraft (and the name, Clipper Maid of the Seas) visible. The flight from FRA to JFK featured the film 'Octopussy.'

That must give you shivers thinking about it.

I never started paying attention to registration numbers until the last few years or so. I was never on a plane that ultimately crashed - at least as far as I know anyway. (My first flights ever were on US DC9s in October 1992. The same type of plane operated US1016 when it crashed while on approach into Charlotte in 1994. The odds of that plane being used for either of the flights I took are slim to none, but still.) So unfortunately I likely won't have anything to add to this thread. The only flights I was ever on where I watched an in-flight movie was during my trip PHL-MIA-AUA in 2010. I was on an AA738 between PHL and MIA and a 757 to/from Aruba. The in-flight movie on those flights was Grown-Ups.

Interesting thread, nonetheless. Morbid and dismal, but interesting.
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

WayexTDI

Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:12 pm

yabeweb wrote:
keesje wrote:

Why wouldn't it?
And, in my experience, it actually does work very well.

richierich

Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:27 pm

Rudenko wrote:
I still have the inflight mag from July 2014 on MH and one of the songs was “ summer” by Calvin Harris.

This really is quite a disturbing and chilling topic to discuss. TWA 800 was only a few minutes into its flight, nobody was watching anything. In the pre-PTV days (only some airlines had primitive PTVs, TW was not one of them,) the crew would have had to drop the screen and projectors and I doubt they were doing that while the plane was still climbing. Are we really that interested in what movies or shows the passengers *might* have been watching later in the flight? Why not just give us a Billboard countdown of the most popular music of the day then, just in case the passengers *might* have been listening to those songs...
None shall pass!!!!

afcjets

Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:27 pm

steeler83 wrote:
I never started paying attention to registration numbers until the last few years or so. I was never on a plane that ultimately crashed - at least as far as I know anyway. (My first flights ever were on US DC9s in October 1992. The same type of plane operated US1016 when it crashed while on approach into Charlotte in 1994. The odds of that plane being used for either of the flights I took are slim to none, but still.)

Ironically that happened 25 years ago today. I have never wondered about in flight movies but I have wondered about departure and arrival gates. Does anyone know what gate the flight was supposed to arrive at in CLT?

richierich

Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:31 pm

spartanmjf wrote:

Really? I flew PA Flight 103 in late April 1984 - it was operated by N747PA on that day - and one of my few memories of that flight was the movie. It was 'Octopussy' which came out in 1983, so that makes sense. Was PA really showing that movie four years later? Are you sure you are not thinking of a different Bond movie, say "The Living Daylights" which came out in 1987? How bad were things at PA if they were recycling four year old movies on the projectors?
None shall pass!!!!

September11

Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:34 pm

Was there an inflight movie aboard UA 232 and EA 401?
Airliners.net of the Future

Bobloblaw

Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:41 pm

EA 401. Didn’t Eastern show films on NYC-South Florida?

Lingon

Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:47 pm

I think of AF 447.. altitude and ground speed would have been shown on the PTVs. Ground speed very slow, altitude dropping, plane in a nose-up attitude, engines roaring at full thrust, and the buffeting for a few minutes.
Who needs an in-flight horror movie?

Rudenko

Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:17 pm

richierich wrote:
Rudenko wrote:

This really is quite a disturbing and chilling topic to discuss. TWA 800 was only a few minutes into its flight, nobody was watching anything. In the pre-PTV days (only some airlines had primitive PTVs, TW was not one of them,) the crew would have had to drop the screen and projectors and I doubt they were doing that while the plane was still climbing. Are we really that interested in what movies or shows the passengers *might* have been watching later in the flight? Why not just give us a Billboard countdown of the most popular music of the day then, just in case the passengers *might* have been listening to those songs...

This is a forum that the O/P asked about “ inflight movies on flights that crashed”

If you don’t like the post, please feel free to skip along.

My opinions are my own and I can share them on here, along with others.

I am also quite aware that on TW800 the movie would not have been getting shown, but just to reiterate, it was the movie that was to be shown!
Last edited by Rudenko on Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SomebodyInTLS

Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:21 pm

yabeweb wrote:
keesje wrote:

I have made screengrabs that prove otherwise. On regional flights I occasionally want to identify which geographical features we're passing (I use an offline map, obviously). Also, it's quite fun to watch yourself shooting over road junctions at hundreds of km/h.
"As with most things related to aircraft design, it's all about the trade-offs and much more nuanced than A.net likes to make out."

Rudenko

Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:26 pm

Rudenko wrote:
richierich wrote:
Rudenko wrote:

This really is quite a disturbing and chilling topic to discuss. TWA 800 was only a few minutes into its flight, nobody was watching anything. In the pre-PTV days (only some airlines had primitive PTVs, TW was not one of them,) the crew would have had to drop the screen and projectors and I doubt they were doing that while the plane was still climbing. Are we really that interested in what movies or shows the passengers *might* have been watching later in the flight? Why not just give us a Billboard countdown of the most popular music of the day then, just in case the passengers *might* have been listening to those songs

acavpics

Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:27 pm

I'm sure the passengers of EK521 had tons of movie/entertainment options to choose before their plane slammed onto the blazing hot runway, since Emirates has award winning IFE.

Did ET302 have IFE? I've never been able to catch a pic the backs of their 737 MAX 8 economy seats. But of course, in that case, they wouldn't have had time to watch anything since it crashed 6 min after takeoff.

GalaxyFlyer

Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:45 pm

I was in a mid-air collision in tactical flying. The estimate from the mishap board was 12 seconds from impact to the parachute landing in a tree. I could spend easily 20 minutes describing every sensation and thought in those twelve seconds.

The mind, with training, will run like a computer in an accident.

N292UX

Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:08 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
N292UX wrote:

That 3rd picture is terrifying. Last second of most of their lives.

LAX772LR

Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:12 pm

millionsofmiles wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
millionsofmiles wrote:

Not at all. You just can’t handle the fact that you are wrong. The concept of time slowing to a crawl has nothing to do with an understanding of what is happening.

First, you're basing this on an incorrect assertion: the aircraft spent 3 seconds in its dive, not 11.

Second, you're using some completely subjective personal experience that is not in any way a conclusive determination for what happened here; there any number of shock-induced traumatic reactions that these people could've experienced, that you (1) do not, nor (2) could not possibly, know for fact to have occurred in any given one of them.

N292UX wrote:

Most?

spacecadet

Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:43 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
spacecadet wrote:
It took 11 seconds.

I'm not sure what your point is here. There was no real "pitch down" because the aircraft was beyond 90 degrees of bank at that point - the "pitch down" input was most likely a last ditch attempt at recovery (trying to level off inverted and then rolling through). There was a constant left roll that began 11 seconds before impact, never stopped, and resulted in the plane banking beyond 90 degrees, losing lift and crashing. The passengers would have very easily seen that on the screen *if it was indeed being shown* (and I've seen conflicting accounts of that), and definitely would have reacted. It was 11 seconds of constant uncoordinated roll to the left, which would have resulted in odd g-forces from the very beginning of the roll, followed by a clearly unusual bank attitude very quickly that never corrected until the crash.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

LAX772LR

Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:06 am

spacecadet wrote:
I'm not sure what your point is here.

It's that while pax would've obviously known that something was wrong, from the point of engine separation if they were on the port side... the often described idea that they actually "watched the ground rush up at them" is very unlikely to have been the case.

spacecadet wrote:
There was no real "pitch down" because the aircraft was beyond 90 degrees

I get what you're saying, but it's unfortunately not accurate.

In fact, the accident report (5th page, final paragraph) specifically points out that the aircraft was still at 0 degrees pitch while at 90 degrees left bank, and in three seconds went to 21 degrees pitch at 112 degrees left roll immediately prior to impact.

AirKevin

Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:56 am

N292UX wrote:

Nobody on board survived.
Captain Kevin

aerorobnz

Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:23 am

It may seem morbid, but sometimes wonder about passenger last words to family and conversations to other passengers, last meals or if someone was in the toilet at the precise moment an aeroplane crashes (not on takeoff or landing of course). The mundane minutiae of the flight that never gets brought up in the air crash investigations that gives it some humanity.
I have been trained at work to deal with the aftermath of fatal incidents and I sincerely hope I am never called upon to use that training. Every time I offload a late passenger PA103 crosses my mind and it serves to remind me the reason for our processes, but I wonder what if my actions saved their life?

It's a horrible and sobering thought to think that for some poor soul their last sight on earth might be Melissa McCarthy in the Ghostbusters remake.
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

N292UX

Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:26 pm

AirKevin wrote:
N292UX wrote:

I did know that, but I'm not sure if everyone died immediately on impact.

PatrickZ80

Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:06 pm

keesje wrote:

That is, if they were alive and conscious. One theory I've heard about that flight is that a window might have collapsed, resulting in a loss of pressure in the cabin. That lack of pressure would have killed everyone on board in an instant, but the plane just kept on going on autopilot. For hours it was flying with nobody alive on board.

spartanmjf

Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:56 pm

richierich wrote:
spartanmjf wrote:

Really? I flew PA Flight 103 in late April 1984 - it was operated by N747PA on that day - and one of my few memories of that flight was the movie. It was 'Octopussy' which came out in 1983, so that makes sense. Was PA really showing that movie four years later? Are you sure you are not thinking of a different Bond movie, say "The Living Daylights" which came out in 1987? How bad were things at PA if they were recycling four year old movies on the projectors?

The timing you mention works - I was doing the PA transatlantic set of flights (LHR or FRA to JFK) of flights over eight years in the 80's.
"Nuts to the man in 21D!"

AirKevin

Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:51 am

N292UX wrote:
AirKevin wrote:
N292UX wrote:

I did know that, but I'm not sure if everyone died immediately on impact.

I'd be surprised if anybody managed to still survive on impact given the speed and angle that the plane hit the ground along with the resulting fire from said impact.
Captain Kevin

teachpdx

Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:42 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
That is, if they were alive and conscious. One theory I've heard about that flight is that a window might have collapsed, resulting in a loss of pressure in the cabin. That lack of pressure would have killed everyone on board in an instant, but the plane just kept on going on autopilot. For hours it was flying with nobody alive on board.

The lack of pressure at cruise altitude doesn’t kill everybody instantly. There is a nonzero amount of time before lack of consciousness (around 15 seconds in rapid decompression at FL350), let alone before death. If the oxygen masks are working as intended, that’s plenty of time to put one on.
Up Next: DI SEA-LGW | AF CDG-PRG | OK PRG-CPH | D8 CPH-LGW | DI LGW-SEA

longhauler

Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:44 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
It's that while pax would've obviously known that something was wrong, from the point of engine separation if they were on the port side... the often described idea that they actually "watched the ground rush up at them" is very unlikely to have been the case.

This point comes up a lot and I agree.

Apart from the fact that on the side of the DC-10 there are about 50 (large) windows on each side through which a very visible view was capable. I think people overestimate the capabilites of the 1970s video systems and exactly what one could see. I would guess that nothing very obvious was visible. I remember watching it on a 707 of AA, and had my Dad (also a pilot) not been there to explain what I was looking at, I don't think I could have figured it out.

But that doesn't stop the feigned horror ... "Think of what they saw on the video screen"??

(Or they could have just looked out of the window.)
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

CairnterriAIR

Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:34 pm

Bobloblaw wrote:
EA 401. Didn’t Eastern show films on NYC-South Florida?

From what I have heard, they were promoting their relationship with Disney’s Magic Kingdom...the official airline of. They were showing Disney films on Florida flights to promote the partnership. I’m pretty “Old Yeller” was the film as I’ve seen that mentioned on a Fan Club page for that film. Could be wrong.