eire123
Topic Author

A220 on Transatlantic Routes

Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:03 pm

Has anyone heard of any airline talking about operating the A220 on transatlantic routes?
The A321neo and XLR has taken the headlines, but would the A220 be more economic on routes such as BFS or even BHD- JFK, GLA - BOS, BRS - JFK, LBA - JFK/BOS?

StudiodeKadent

Re: A220 on Transatlantic Routes

Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:24 pm

The problem is that to make an A220 work on Transatlantic routes, you'd need a low-density and relatively high-premium cabin. Its certainly doable, but there aren't too many viable routes.

LCY - JFK is certainly doable, but BA may not want to do this when Crossrail is complete.

DUB - JFK or BOS? May not have enough premium demand.

La Compagnie could've theoretically done it with the right cabin products but they went with the A321neo instead.

Montreal to Paris? Again, not sure if there's enough premium demand.

The A220 is a great jet, but I don't think it will be doing many premium transatlantics at the moment (especially since all the well-situated airlines apart from BA have already picked the A321neoLR for this).

VSMUT

Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:31 pm

Odyssey Airlines: A crowdfunded airline (this was when crowdfunding was still overhyped) that placed orders for 10 CS100 from Bombardier. Wanted to operate them from London City to New York and Toronto in a 40 seat configuration. Airline has since gone dead.

T4thH

Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:36 pm

The ETOPS 180 min for the A220 was primary requested by Korean Air and their A220, as KAL wants to fly to the small pacific islands. The ETOPS certifications are regular/primary certifications for the jet engines (and less for the bird itself), this is just "paper work" and some minor software changes. We will see only few transatlantic routes, I expect first London City to one of the airports of New York (so London finance center to the Wall street; A220 100 as pure 1 single business class).
Else, Transatlantic routes will be rare.
The range increase will be more interesting for Delta (north to south america, carribean, whole USA from East to West e.g.), few rare like for Air Baltic (single routes from Baltic to middle east) and less for Transatlantic flights. Range increases/ETOPS 180 min are a "nice to have", but not a real need; but for few these are real important the one reason to order few of them (or few more).

A380MSN004

Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:20 pm

VSMUT wrote:
Odyssey Airlines: A crowdfunded airline (this was when crowdfunding was still overhyped) that placed orders for 10 CS100 from Bombardier. Wanted to operate them from London City to New York and Toronto in a 40 seat configuration. Airline has since gone dead.

Slightly off topic : the founders disapeard with the money?

VV

Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:48 pm

I bet there won't be a lot, if any, A220 flying across the Atlantic.
Well, perhaps there are some delivery flights.

Dominion301

Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:53 pm

VV wrote:

The most likely will be Atlantic Canada-Europe. Much closer than JFK or BOS. However, things such as YOW-DUB or YQB-LHR/CDG are also within range for a 223 in a standard 2 class config, as is YHZ-FRA. Will be interesting to see whether AC ETOPS any of them.
Last edited by Dominion301 on Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.

bhxalex

Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:53 pm

Wouldn't be shocked to one day see DL use it on BOS-KEF/SNN, maybe even DTW-KEF.

lightsaber

Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:53 pm

The new A220 MTOW increase, in particular the -300, would allow for a centerline tank in a lower density configuration.

I hope for A220 TATL, but it looks like the last chance is an IAG A318 replacement. If the -300 becomes LCY certified, that would be an excellent fit. Same mission (LCY-Ireland-JFK). I speculate frequency would be increased with some DUB stops to top off passengers.

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

Aptivaboy

Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:02 pm

What I'm wondering is if there's a market for secondary and tertiary city pairs using the C-Series (can't call it an A220! ;)), avoiding the major airports and hubs for more convenient point to point service, "in the area," allowing the traveler to avoid congested airports like Heathrow and JFK. I'm wondering about something like Cleveland or Pittsburgh - Stansted, pairs like that. I'm certainly not suggesting daily service at this time, but perhaps intermittent service away from the already crowded major airports but still close to the targeted cities. This might also help alleviate slot issues at crowded large airports, retaining those for larger widebodies moving more passengers.

This all assumes that the costs, benefits, CASM, etc., make it all worthwhile, which it certainly may not. Thank you for any ideas or pointers on this. Have a great day, everyone!

smallmj

Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:59 pm

Dominion301 wrote:
VV wrote:

The most likely will be Atlantic Canada-Europe. Much closer than JFK or BOS. However, things such as YOW-DUB or YQB-LHR/CDG are also within range for a 223 in a standard 2 class config, as is YHZ-FRA. Will be interesting to see whether AC ETOPS any of them.

I was thinking the same thing. YHZ-FRA/AMS/CDG/MUC and a faint possibility of YQM-CDG

VV

Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:12 pm

Why are you guys dreaming about C Series flying across the Atlantic?
This obsession about C Series flights over the Atlantic is just insane.

GalaxyFlyer

Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:52 am

It will absolutely cross the Atlantic and the Pacific—as the BBJ, Bombardier Business Jet. Marketing was ready to sell but wanted for the C-Series getting traction as a airliner FIRST. Back burner now.

GF

digitalcloud

Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:03 am

eire123 wrote:
Has anyone heard of any airline talking about operating the A220 on transatlantic routes?
The A321neo and XLR has taken the headlines, but would the A220 be more economic on routes such as BFS or even BHD- JFK, GLA - BOS, BRS - JFK, LBA - JFK/BOS?

GLA-BOS is a far larger market than the others you mention, the A220 is too small. Additionally, it wouldn't compete with the premium cabins that UA and DL offer from GLA.