adriaticflight
Topic Author

Around the world on Turboprops

Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:45 am

Although I don't think it's possible to go around the world on Turboprops, how far could one plan a journey on Turboprops from say London?

Any routes people could think of?

Just a thought that came to me

VSMUT

Re: Around the world on Turboprops

Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:36 pm

You can't. I know of no turboprops in commercial airline service that can cross the Pacific. I don't really see how you get past the Middle East, there are few turboprops there.

Trying to avoid seasonal flight and charters, from as far west as I can find (Greenland):
Greenland - Iceland on Iceland Connect Q400.
Iceland - Manchester on Iceland Connect Q400 (temporary 737MAX replacement).
Manchester - Aberdeen on FlyBe Q400.
Aberdeen - Stavanger on DAT ATR.
Stavanger - Billund on DAT ATR.
Billund - Copenhagen on SAS ATR.
Copenhagen - Luxembourg on Luxair Q400.
Luxembourg - Vienna on Luxair Q400.
Vienna - Belgrade on Air Serbia's ATR.
Belgrade - Bucharest on Air Serbia or TAROM ATR.
Bucharest - Thessaloniki on TAROM ATR.

Greece has turboprop flights everywhere, but that's where I get stuck. Can't find anything further east.

PatrickZ80

Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:33 pm

Indeed there is no way to cross the oceans on turboprops. There's a gap between Greenland and Canada where the only planes flying there are jets. Suppose you could bridge that, then from Halifax you could continue on WestJet Encore (Q400) and a whole distance into America. But again, no way to cross the Pacific on a turboprop.

As for the Middle East, I've tried finding a more northern routing through Russia but so far without luck. Furthest east I could get is Ukraine (Motor Sich Airlines), but that's as far as it goes. Russia used to be full of turboprops (mostly AN-24), but it seems they're gone now.

VSMUT

Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:41 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
Indeed there is no way to cross the oceans on turboprops. There's a gap between Greenland and Canada where the only planes flying there are jets. Suppose you could bridge that, then from Halifax you could continue on WestJet Encore (Q400) and a whole distance into America. But again, no way to cross the Pacific on a turboprop.

As for the Middle East, I've tried finding a more northern routing through Russia but so far without luck. Furthest east I could get is Ukraine (Motor Sich Airlines), but that's as far as it goes. Russia used to be full of turboprops (mostly AN-24), but it seems they're gone now.

There used to be some service on Dash 7s or Dash 8s between Greenland and Canada.

I tried looking at going through Africa. I can get from Luxembourg to Barcelona, then hop around Spain, Spain to Casablanca and then to the Canary Islands, but then I'm stuck again. It isn't unthinkable that you could get through Africa and over to the Indian Ocean on turboprops, but I can't find reliable sources for which types and airlines fly where.

PatrickZ80

Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:01 pm

VSMUT wrote:
There used to be some service on Dash 7s or Dash 8s between Greenland and Canada.

Just found out there still are, however today they're flown on the Beechcraft Super King Air 200 operated by Air Nunavut. However they're operated as charters, so not sure if they count. Looking at FlightRadar24 they fly pretty regularly, every few days. Route is Nuuk to Iqaluit.

Until 2015 Air Greenland used to fly this route with the Dash 8, but not anymore.

VSMUT

Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:22 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
VSMUT wrote:

Just found out there still are, however today they're flown on the Beechcraft Super King Air 200 operated by Air Nunavut. However they're operated as charters, so not sure if they count. Looking at FlightRadar24 they fly pretty regularly, every few days. Route is Nuuk to Iqaluit.

Until 2015 Air Greenland used to fly this route with the Dash 8, but not anymore.

Let's say you could, how far would that get you?

PatrickZ80

Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:06 pm

VSMUT wrote:
Let's say you could, how far would that get you?

So far I've come as far as the Bahamas, but I'm sure that's not the end of it. The Caribbean are full of turboprops, with a bit of luck you can get all the way far into South America.

Alternatively you could get to Alaska, but that's where it stops. No turboprop connections into Russia from there.

c933103

Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:16 pm

There seems to be dash 8 flight in far east russia from KHV to UUS and from UUS to PKC. Not sure hot to bridge from PKC to Alaska. Not sure about rest of Russia but I guess there should be flights all the way to Moscow?
Say NO to Hong Kong police's cooperation with criminal organizations like triad.

OlafW

Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:54 pm

Going East from London I'm always stuck at the end of Europe. There seems to be no way to get into Russia on a prop plane, not even via Kaliningrad. I went from Helsinki all the way down, but the furthest I managed was Zaporizhiye in Ukraine by Motor Sich, Istanbul on a one-off ATR from Bucharest or Borg el Arab when going through Athens.
Trying the West coast of Africa ended one step further than VSMUT found, going from the Canaries to El Aaiun in Western Sahara. Air Algerie has some prop flights to the very South of Algeria, but none of them go further to Mali or Niger.

Seems to me it's not only the big oceans which are stopping this from happening

GalaxyFlyer

Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:29 am

Buy a KA350, make a lot of stops.

VSMUT

Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:12 am

I tried looking at options going the opposite way.

Unfortunately I can't find any uniterupted routes from inside the Pacific. Australia has loads of turboprops though. From Cairns:
Cairns – Port Moresby Qantas Q400
Port Moresby – Mount Hagen – Jayapura: Wikipedia lists this one as flown by PNG Air. PNG Air's website doesn't show it. If true, flown by ATR or Dash 8.
Jayapura – Nabire – Ambon – Manado – Palu – Morowali - Makassar – Jakarta – Bandung – Lampung – Bengkulu: Wings Air ATR
From Bengkulu it is possible to hop all the way to Banda Aceh with Susi Air. At least 8 legs here.
Banda Aceh – Penang – Phuket: Firefly ATR
Phuket – Ko Samui – Bangkok – Yangon: Bangkok Airways ATR
Yangon – Dhaka: Biman Bangladesh Q400
Dhaka – Kolkata: Spicejet Q400

That's how far I've gotten. There are loads of turboprops throughout India, but where to next? Buddha Air supposedly flies ATRs or Jetstreams to Kathmandu. Is it possible to get into Pakistan from there?