Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

hallilt
Topic Author

A320 Flight This Morning

Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:30 am

Flying from Guadalajara to LAX, the plane takes longer than usual to lift on the runway. The second the nose raised, we experienced a terrifying shaking of the whole plane. It was about 10 seconds and the plane was barely climbing. Everyone was holding their breath and looking around, the flight crew turned off all of the lights during this. Suddenly engines thrust and we began to climb and the shuddering stopped. I was sure we were going down because it seemed to be really struggling to lift. Then when we landed there was a "whack whack whack whack" sound that went on for about 30 seconds - extremely loud. Any ideas anyone?
I know elevation in GDL is about 5,000 ft, but I've done this route before (and Mexico City) and I've flown hundreds of times, nothing like this has ever happened before.

LCY55Approach

Re: A320 Flight This Morning

Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:44 pm

The vibration on take-off could be the front wheels spinning after they have been raised. I experience this whilst sat near the front of A32X aircraft quite frequently. Also pretty standard to have the lights off for take-off - I believe this is to make it easier for anyone to spot any fires from the outside in the event of an accident.

spacecadet

Re: A320 Flight This Morning

Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:25 am

All sounds normal to me. Your plane was probably heavily loaded and the density altitude was probably around 8,000 feet. The shaking is a combination of the landing gear still turning combined with aerodynamic ground effect. It's more pronounced in conditions like I just noted, and is more noticeable from certain parts of the plane. The shuddering stopped when your gear was raised and you exited ground effect.

The whack whack whack sound on landing is just your landing gear going over joints in the pavement. Sure sounds like you were sitting near one or more of the wheels.