ncflyer
Topic Author

Long delays on very short flights

Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:10 am

I happen to notice that tonight’s 7/8 DL DTW to CLE last flight of the nights is delayed overnight for some reason. I imagine some pax will rent a car for the three hour drive, probably at their own expense. Makes me wonder if any of you have had a bus or two Chartered by the airline in such a circumstance? Cheaper than delta paying hotels for everyone— by a landslide— assuming they can find a bus.

UALFAson

Re: Long delays on very short flights

Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:05 pm

Yes, airlines charter buses quite regularly when short flights get cancelled. Two personal examples:

--Last summer, I was scheduled to fly ROA-CLT (which is about 35 minutes in the air) then connecting home to BNA. The early morning ERJ-145 developed a major mechanical and the agents said flights the rest of the day were full and unable to accommodate rebookings. AA hired a bus to drive us the 3 hours to CLT.

--In April, I was scheduled to fly PTY-MIA-MCO. This was just as the MAX was being grounded. The late-night MIA-MCO flight fell victim, and at 11:00 p.m. the Admirals Club agent told me they were going to charter a bus around midnight to make the 3-4 hour drive to MCO. I said "no thanks" and paid for a hotel at my own expense to spend the night in MIA and get rebooked on another flight in the morning.
"We hope you've enjoyed flying with us as much as we've enjoyed taking you for a ride."

jetblueguy22

Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:16 pm

ncflyer wrote:
I happen to notice that tonight’s 7/8 DL DTW to CLE last flight of the nights is delayed overnight for some reason. I imagine some pax will rent a car for the three hour drive, probably at their own expense. Makes me wonder if any of you have had a bus or two Chartered by the airline in such a circumstance? Cheaper than delta paying hotels for everyone— by a landslide— assuming they can find a bus.

I’ve done a rental car to get to my destination twice. Once was because of storms and a bunch of cancelled flights, MSP-GFK. Not a hard drive, just sucks in the middle of the night.

Other was in April BWI-BDL because of a cancelled flight for a reason that escapes me... that one sucked because I live an hour SW of BDL, but had to drive there to drop off my rental car and drive an hour back. That one was a long day...
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

PSAatSAN4Ever

Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:00 pm

No matter how many regional jets UA, DL, or AA fly LAX-SAN, it isn't enough to accommodate any kind of glitch in the system.

Many years ago, I flew SAN-LAX-ORD-LAX-SAN specifically to fly on the 747-400 domestically, as this was not just a rarity but a complete phase-out of the type. Going was fabulous, and the return was great until the LAX-SAN leg - it was "canceled".

A very capable and commanding American Indian woman was in charge of informing all passengers that the flight was canceled, it was impossible to rebook anybody today, and that a shuttle bus is waiting to take us to the Commuter Terminal at SAN. As it was 2 PM, we were reminded, every minute we delay is two minutes additional in drive time. Our bags were quickly brought to us, and she gave me the paperwork and told me, "you look like someone who knows what they are doing. Give this to the driver who is waiting for you outside of security". I took command of our group, and just as promised, there was the driver waiting for us. Bags loaded into the van, and off we went. I am assuming the next flight's passengers were given the same bus trip on a different bus.

PlymSpotter

Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:07 am

Road replacement is very common in the UK.

Myself and colleagues used FlyBe extensively for work from EXT - I had a couple of 5h bus trips to London and one colleague even had a 9h bus ride to GLA. The bus company they used were rather useless and would frequently get lost - on one of my London bus rides I had to give the driver my phone as a Sat-Nav so he could try and find LCY instead of pondering off into Essex.
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

TheEuphorian

Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:58 am

I got delayed by 3 hours before flying JOG-CGK, which is a 1 hour flight.

stlgph

Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:12 pm

Have booked NYC-PHL-XXX and return if NYC-XXX nonstop was outrageously overpriced....going out usually never a problem, coming back, given the wonderland that NYC airspace is - flights out of PHL into LGA could be at times anywhere from 6 hours delayed and more. Fortunately I had a carry on bag and would just say screw it, head to the train station and be back in downtown Manhattan in less than 2 and a half hours.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

smallmj

Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:41 pm

I've heard of Air Canada sending people on Via Rail to London Ontario from Toronto in IRROPS situations.

zuckie13

Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:56 pm

Depends on where that plane is going next. If it was scheduled to go somewhere other than back to DTW on it's first flight the next morning, then they'd have to send it (or another plane) to CLE in the morning anyway. Hotel rooms at contract rates for those that want it may have actually been cheaper than chartering last minute buses. If the plane was going anyway, this may have been the cheapest option.

ncflyer
Topic Author

Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:25 pm

zuckie13 wrote:
Depends on where that plane is going next. If it was scheduled to go somewhere other than back to DTW on it's first flight the next morning, then they'd have to send it (or another plane) to CLE in the morning anyway. Hotel rooms at contract rates for those that want it may have actually been cheaper than chartering last minute buses. If the plane was going anyway, this may have been the cheapest option.

True enough but in many cases the airline would just cancel the return flight too. Probably in the case of super short flights like CLE DTW it just pays to get the plane to cleveland no matter how late it is running. Flying time is longer than taxi time on this flight.