parisien
Topic Author
Posts: 844
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2000 5:04 am

Malindo & Emirates interline?

Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:31 pm

Hello, planning to fly to Asia this summer and would like to return from Bandung (BDO) to Paris. On Kayak (and other sites like Expedia I see offers starting with Malindo BDO to KUL (Kuala Lumpur) connecting to Emirates (1h55 minutes lay over in KUL) to CDG via Dubai. Anybody has done this connection? I am wondering if Malindo would check baggage all the way to final destination (given the connection time which will not be sufficient I think for clearing immigration and rechecking in KUL and just the hassle of it). I wrote Malindo which asked for the ticket number (don't have it...will not buy the tickets if cannot check through)...so it seems depends on the ticket (number)? Cannot book BDO CDG on Emirates website.... Cheers.
 
cofannyc
Posts: 259
Joined: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:22 am

Re: Malindo & Emirates interline?

Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:52 pm

Malindo CAN check bags through to EK. They have an interline baggage agreement. There's never a guarantee that they WILL, but they CAN.
 
User avatar
TheFlyingDisk
Posts: 1725
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:43 pm

Re: Malindo & Emirates interline?

Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:52 pm

cofannyc wrote:
Malindo CAN check bags through to EK. They have an interline baggage agreement. There's never a guarantee that they WILL, but they CAN.


But according to their website, they only interlined with NH, TK, QR, EY & WY

https://www.malindoair.com/news-events/ ... ARTNERSHIP
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO
 
cofannyc
Posts: 259
Joined: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:22 am

Re: Malindo & Emirates interline?

Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:29 am

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
But according to their website, they only interlined with NH, TK, QR, EY & WY

https://www.malindoair.com/news-events/ ... ARTNERSHIP


It may be out of date or it may be the only carriers they WILL interline to, but they certainly have the ability to interline to EK.

   MAY ISSUE TICKETS INCLUDING
       BI  EK  ET  EY  HY  ID  MF  NH  QR  RJ  SL  TK  WY     
 
   MAY CHECK BAGGAGE TO
       BI  EK  ET  EY  HY  ID  MF  NH  QR  RJ  SL  TK  WY
 
User avatar
TheFlyingDisk
Posts: 1725
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:43 pm

Re: Malindo & Emirates interline?

Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:45 am

cofannyc wrote:
TheFlyingDisk wrote:
But according to their website, they only interlined with NH, TK, QR, EY & WY

https://www.malindoair.com/news-events/ ... ARTNERSHIP


It may be out of date or it may be the only carriers they WILL interline to, but they certainly have the ability to interline to EK.

   MAY ISSUE TICKETS INCLUDING
       BI  EK  ET  EY  HY  ID  MF  NH  QR  RJ  SL  TK  WY     
 
   MAY CHECK BAGGAGE TO
       BI  EK  ET  EY  HY  ID  MF  NH  QR  RJ  SL  TK  WY


Could be. Maybe they realized interline agreements aren't that all newsworthy and stopped announcing it.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO
 
parisien
Topic Author
Posts: 844
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2000 5:04 am

Re: Malindo & Emirates interline?

Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:32 am

Thank you all for your answers.

When I contacted Emirates, this is their response : "It depends if they’ll have access to your Emirates flights in order to though check your bags and issue the tags". Cofannyc, where did you get the screenshot of the airline codes Malindo can interline to (it seems that they should be able to access Emirates flights then?

Indeed, Malindo seemed to have announced all the interline agreements or codeshares they have inked with other partners (Qatar/Etihad and ANA, for instance)...but I cannot find announcement for Emirates.

In the worst scenario (have to recheck in baggage), will 1h 55 minutes be sufficient to clear immigration/get checked bags et re check in the bags with Emirates (arrival time is at 5:25 PM...have no idea if that is peak time at KUL) (if anyone had personal experience doing so) ?
 
User avatar
TheFlyingDisk
Posts: 1725
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:43 pm

Re: Malindo & Emirates interline?

Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:22 am

parisien wrote:
Thank you all for your answers.

When I contacted Emirates, this is their response : "It depends if they’ll have access to your Emirates flights in order to though check your bags and issue the tags". Cofannyc, where did you get the screenshot of the airline codes Malindo can interline to (it seems that they should be able to access Emirates flights then?

Indeed, Malindo seemed to have announced all the interline agreements or codeshares they have inked with other partners (Qatar/Etihad and ANA, for instance)...but I cannot find announcement for Emirates.

In the worst scenario (have to recheck in baggage), will 1h 55 minutes be sufficient to clear immigration/get checked bags et re check in the bags with Emirates (arrival time is at 5:25 PM...have no idea if that is peak time at KUL) (if anyone had personal experience doing so) ?


Immigration is probably going to be an issue, but it's been a while since I flew out of KUL. As for it being peak time, a lot of international flights are arriving around that time.

Have you checked with Malindo?
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO
 
debonair
Posts: 3440
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:50 pm

Re: Malindo & Emirates interline?

Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:57 pm

parisien wrote:
On Kayak (and other sites like Expedia I see offers starting with Malindo BDO to KUL (Kuala Lumpur) connecting to Emirates (1h55 minutes lay over in KUL) to CDG via Dubai. ... I wrote Malindo which asked for the ticket number (don't have it...will not buy the tickets if cannot check through)...so it seems depends on the ticket (number)?


I think it is most important, that the the booking is actually done in ONE single ticket - and not on two separate bookings (like KIWI through Kayak).

cofannyc wrote:
Malindo CAN check bags through to EK. They have an interline baggage agreement. There's never a guarantee that they WILL, but they CAN.


True, I travelled a LOT on LION-Group airlines and especially on outstations the staff seems to be overchallenged with the most simple requests - like having booked an extra seat.
 
parisien
Topic Author
Posts: 844
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2000 5:04 am

Re: Malindo & Emirates interline?

Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:38 pm

TheFlyingDisk, I wrote Malindo before I posted here...their answer was to give them the ticket numbers (which I don't have...I thought I'd buy the ticket only if assured of the check-through. I have been through KUL a few times and each time the immigration check took a long time!). Maybe as debonair said, they wanted to see if it's booked as a single ticket.
Debonair, I checked Expedia and Opodo, both offer this connection (on Opodo, it says 'connection assured by Malindo Air' for the layover at KUL ...not sure I understand what that means exactly....)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cofannyc and 13 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos