Ryanair and or Easy Jet to the USA

Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:43 pm

Could this happen ?

I had no idea Ryanair had 485 planes and Easy Jet has 327

Nickd92

Re: Ryanair and or Easy Jet to the USA

Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:54 pm

No. It will never happen.

Look at Norwegian and the state that they are in. Low Cost long haul unfortunately doesn't work as it should.

sw733

Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:00 pm

I will never say never, but not soon and unlikely with the current fleet. Both airlines are doing pretty well in Europe (with a little imprint in Asia and Africa) so they don't need to do crazy things like enter that market, just like Southwest doesn't need to start going to Europe.

Dutchy

Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:02 pm

The Ryan Air chief repeatedly said he was looking into it and turned it down. Mt guess is we will see Easyjet doing this before Rynair.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

crjflyboy
Topic Author

Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:06 pm

Nickd92 wrote:

Look at Norwegian and the state that they are in. Low Cost long haul unfortunately doesn't work as it should.

I'm not so sure they are not looking at it.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/news ... h-america/

https://www.icelolly.com/blog/ryanair-f ... t-worth-it

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2015 ... nd-america

OMAAbound

Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:15 pm

Many moons ago, my ex-wife was a member of staff at Ryanair. During a conversation it was said that at some point in the future, Ryanair would like to enter the North American market, Michael O’Leary touted business class as ‘Beds and Bl*wjobs’.

At one point, in the not so distant past, rumours I heard were that they were interested in starting a Lagos route from a few European hubs, I’m unsure as to why this didn’t start, as They’re many cities with a huge Nigerian diasporas, I would think this would be a good market for them to get into.

OMAA
Right hand seat of a 787. Also can be found eating sandwiches, drinking coffee and attempting to understand Chinese ATC!

sw733

Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:20 pm

Dutchy wrote:
The Ryan Air chief repeatedly said he was looking into it and turned it down. Mt guess is we will see Easyjet doing this before Rynair.

Ryanair also has a history of saying things just to say things, so...I don't put much stock in anything they say.

crjflyboy
Topic Author

Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:21 pm

Dutchy wrote:

Easyjet does operate the 321 neo's now ... they have the range

https://simpleflying.com/could-easy-jet ... -aircraft/

bhxalex

Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:31 pm

For FR it would have happened by now, there's a huge market between Ireland and the US. It's been doable for a number of years with their fleet. The fact they didn't counteract Norwegian's Tatl operation from Ireland shows just how interested, or rather uninterested, they are in crossing the Atlantic themselves.

Arion640

Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:02 pm

No way. Europe to the US is a blood bath fares wise currently. LHR-JFK can be had for as little as £250 return in Economy these days (granted, no baggage).

Norwegian are struggling to make it work and they’re supposed to be optimised for it. I think if Easyjet or Ryanair were going to do it, they would of by now.
223 319 320 321 333 346 359 388 733 73G 738 744 752 753 763 764 772 77E 773 77W 788 789 MD83 E145 E175 E195 RJ85 F70 DH8C DH8D AT75

Brexit - It’s time for global Britain.

peterinlisbon

Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:25 pm

I think they probably will start operating longer routes once the aircraft in their fleet are capable of it, but they're not in any hurry and they're certainly not going to start buying 787s or anything like that. They could try something like STN/LGW-BOS/JFK. A narrowbody is always going to have lower costs and if it doesn't work out they can just switch the aircraft to other routes.

flyingphil

Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:33 pm

Well JetBlue have announced the intention to fly transatlantic.. so anything is possible.

Ryanair seem to be in an expansive mood at the moment announcing new subsidiaries in Poland and Malta plus acquiring Laudamotion.
They tried to buy Aer Lingus on a number of occasions. There seems to be a big market for flights from Dublin to the US.
Doesn't seem to be any indications that they will be doing anything soon.. maybe if they ever get their 737MAX’s delivered they will look at it again.

ShamrockBoi330

Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:35 pm

Definitely not with the Max they have on order, the high density Max 200 would have issues i'm sure!

But Ryanair could get some nice compensation off Boeing for the Max issues they have this summer and the delayed deliveries affecting their summer schedules, minor but still...

Ryanair has always said it was waiting on the right widebody at the right price, could Boeing offer a big customer something sweet here?

anyway, with the Ryanair setup switching now to a more IAG style umbrella with different brands, they could set up a subsidiary offshoot to try this, whether it will be branded Ryanair i would say is doubful given they have kept Laudamotion and now Malta Air!

anything is possible.

ShamrockBoi330

Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:38 pm

peterinlisbon wrote:
I think they probably will start operating longer routes once the aircraft in their fleet are capable of it, but they're not in any hurry and they're certainly not going to start buying 787s or anything like that. They could try something like STN/LGW-BOS/JFK. A narrowbody is always going to have lower costs and if it doesn't work out they can just switch the aircraft to other routes.

does the current -800 or Max 200 have the legs for those routes?

gatibosgru

Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:41 pm

Highly unlikely imho, unless someone gives it a go from KEF or PDL but that'd be wishful thinking too.
@DadCelo

Nickd92

Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:42 pm

crjflyboy wrote:
Nickd92 wrote:

I'm not so sure they are not looking at it.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/news ... h-america/

https://www.icelolly.com/blog/ryanair-f ... t-worth-it

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2015 ... nd-america

Your first article links to Ryanair interlining with Air Europa to offer services to South America. So a full service carrier; and a low cost interlining to increase both their revenues and load factors. Ryanair won't be offering South America on its own metal.

Your last two are 4 years old. The world is one VERY different places in 2019 to 2015. We have the MAX grounded, and the political scene is one very different one to what it was back then.

mwhcvt

Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:45 pm

flyingphil wrote:
Well JetBlue have announced the intention to fly transatlantic.. so anything is possible.

Ryanair seem to be in an expansive mood at the moment announcing new subsidiaries in Poland and Malta plus acquiring Laudamotion.
They tried to buy Aer Lingus on a number of occasions. There seems to be a big market for flights from Dublin to the US.
Doesn't seem to be any indications that they will be doing anything soon.. maybe if they ever get their 737MAX’s delivered they will look at it again.

The thing is JetBlue are a different airline model to FR or U2 it offers a genuine multi class cabin, where are FR and U2 do not they are economy only, that said if I had to put money on one of the two airlines taking the plunge to me it would be U2 take the plunge first, but they seem more than happy to stick to what they know...

Now if one or the other was to decide to experiment with offering a small Y+ or Business Lite product this to me would be an indication of wanting to go after more lucrative customers and might signal a direction that could include TATL
Must think up a new one soon, slow moving brain trying to get into gear ;)

fromheretohere9

Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:47 pm

easyJet would certainly have a sniff before Ryanair would. Ryanair has talked about it for years. They have only just entered the Middle East market in recent years with flights from European Bases to Amman And Aqaba in Jordan and Tel Aviv and Eliat in Israel. Ryanair makes their crews return all flights currently and don’t have any overnight crew stops. I don’t believe easyJet do either but I believe they’ll start to the US first or at least a crew stop over first: Although they do know have easyJet Worldwide which allows connection with 15 other airlines across the easyJet network, so effectively easyJet does fly to US with Norwegian and Virgin connection out of Gatwick.

PlymSpotter

Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:13 pm

It is quite plausible that easyJet, Ryanair and WizzAir will look at North America at some point in the near to mid future.

They already operate sectors up to 5/6 hours, and now we have both easyJet and Wizz considering deploying their A321LRs on substantially longer routes. Once they have experience operating 7+ hour sectors then, if the yields are perceived to be strong enough, it is likely one will apply for ETOPS and try Transatlantic operations.
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

Bobloblaw

Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:17 pm

I think what the posters keep missing about ULCCs is that their cost advantage is reduced on long haul routes. Fuel becomes the highest expense not labour. Also aircraft utilization gives ULCCs no cost advantage either. Even a 220 seat A321 won’t have much CASM advantage if any over a 300 seat 789 or A330. Plus the A321 loses the ability to carry lots of cargo. JetBlue might make it work with 6 hour flights and MINT in niche markets. But flying the Atlantic on 7+ hour flights is not like flying to Orlando. Ancillary might help but ancillary becomes a smaller portion of total revenue on 6-7 hour flight versus a 2-3 hour flight. No one has made this work thus far. And before you say FI, they have a premium cabin and 757s are better cargo haulers than 321s. Plus FI isn’t flying the Atlantic. They’re flying 2/3 the Atlantic.

Varsity1

Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:33 pm

Even the 321neolr won't be able to cross reliably westbound in the winter with 220people plus bags. That's close to 65,000lbs of payload.
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..

c933103

Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:52 am

Nickd92 wrote:

I would say the "line" between long haul and short haul when it come to profitability should be view as whether the route can be flown with a narrow body in LCC configuration with full load
This is a placeholder.

evanb

Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:09 am

Nickd92 wrote:

Right, the fundamental challenge is cost. Low cost operators actually need to do things differently to legacy carriers to lower their cost base and thus allow significant profit margins even with lower unit revenues. In short haul there are significant opportunities to do this including reducing turnaround times, increasing fleet utilization, standardized fleet and product, using lower cost secondary airports, avoiding night stoping of crews, etc etc.

What countless attempts at low cost long haul have shown is that those opportunities to "arbitrage" the cost decline very rapidly as the routes thy intend to fly get longer. They're unable to lower their unit costs sufficiently to be consistently lower than the much, much lower unit revenues they receive to fill their flight. Just recently, we saw Norwegian switch from Oakland to San Fransisco, ostensibly because the lower operating costs at Oakland compared to San Fransisco were not substantial enough.

LuxuryTravelled

Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:38 am

EasyJet have said absolutely not, and I can only see Ryanair doing it is if they bought another carrier with a slightly different business model, which would facilitate that (although there are not any obvious targets at the moment).

finnishway

Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:01 am

Airlines flying longhaul don’t make money from economy class. Thats why low cost long haul is hard to make profitable. Competition is hard and business passengers want frequency and premium economy/business class.

anstar

Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:05 am

Nickd92 wrote:

Jetstar has been doing low cost longhaul for over 10 years now... Scoot seems to work as well.

crjflyboy wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

EZY's 321neos won't have the range. They are not the LR versions.

finnishway

Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:41 am

anstar wrote:
Nickd92 wrote:

Jetstar has been doing low cost longhaul for over 10 years now... Scoot seems to work as well.

crjflyboy wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Asia is totally different. You can’t compare Asia to Europe - North America TATL business which is just true hard competition. Its not easy to make money on flights over 7 hours anyway.

evanb

Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:09 am

finnishway wrote:
Airlines flying longhaul don’t make money from economy class. Thats why low cost long haul is hard to make profitable. Competition is hard and business passengers want frequency and premium economy/business class.

Patently not true. If this is/was the case no airlines would have long haul economy class. They might make less margins on economy class, but they're still taking more revenue and more predictable revenue with less risk from economy class.

finnishway

Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:15 am

evanb wrote:
finnishway wrote:

Patently not true. If this is/was the case no airlines would have long haul economy class. They might make less margins on economy class, but they're still taking more revenue and more predictable revenue with less risk from economy class.

Not true either. Yes they make money from economy, but it wouldn’t be profitable business with only economy class service. Premium and business classes are where the money comes from and make most of the money. Great premium economy class can make more money for the airline with lets say 40 seats than the whole economy class combined.

It also wouldn’t be commercially viable to fill the cabin with only business class, because it would be extremely hard to fill every flight with business class passengers.

Yes, economy class is needed, but it is not how the business is made.

evanb

Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:18 am

anstar wrote:

Jetstar and Scoot are not conventional LCCs like Easy Jet, Ryanair or Norwegian. They're offshoots of full service legacy carriers designed to reduce the overall group unit cost while minimizing the associated revenue degradation. Basically, it's a mechanism for Qantas and Singapore Airlines to shift lower yielding traffic off their mainline brands.

The result, while Singapore Airlines reported RASK of 8.3c and CASK of 8.2c last year, Scoot had a RASK of 5.0c and CASK of 4.9c last year. They improve overall group profitability by not having to carry those Scoot passengers at a RASK of 5.0c at a CASK of 8.2c.

albertocsc

Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:42 am

gatibosgru wrote:
Highly unlikely imho, unless someone gives it a go from KEF or PDL but that'd be wishful thinking too.

Yes, many people in the Azores have heard rumors of Ryanair starting flights to the USA from PDL and TER, but I don't see it coming soon. easyJet does not fly to Azores at the moment.

In KEF, easyJet is already operating, but can not see North American flights unless they decide to open a base soon. Ryanair does not fly to Iceland, but we can have surprises soon, like today's about Lebanon.

BDKLEZ

Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:53 am

Stick to what you know and what you're good at, that's the main message I would like to pass on. Take bmi for example, the boss SMB had very long-term ambitions to go across the pond and nothing was going to stop him, despite the reservations that were well established within the airline. He took the mainline airline into trans-atlantic ops to satisfy his own ego and personal ambitions, some very poor business decisions, route choices, a/c utilisation decisions etc all followed. All of the above combined, ultimately led up to the beginning of the end for what was a fantastic airline with a fantastic product.

If it does ever happen, then U2/FR will almost certainly establish a separate entity, one that can be folded rather rapidly with minimal impact of their core operational activity in the event of disappointing results.
Trespassers will be shot; survivors will be shot again!

gatibosgru

Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:55 pm

albertocsc wrote:
gatibosgru wrote:

Yes, many people in the Azores have heard rumors of Ryanair starting flights to the USA from PDL and TER, but I don't see it coming soon. easyJet does not fly to Azores at the moment.

In KEF, easyJet is already operating, but can not see North American flights unless they decide to open a base soon. Ryanair does not fly to Iceland, but we can have surprises soon, like today's about Lebanon.

I could see B6 and DL getting to the Azores and KEF before I see Easy/Ryanair there.
@DadCelo

Nickd92

Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:19 pm

evanb wrote:
Nickd92 wrote:

Right, the fundamental challenge is cost. Low cost operators actually need to do things differently to legacy carriers to lower their cost base and thus allow significant profit margins even with lower unit revenues. In short haul there are significant opportunities to do this including reducing turnaround times, increasing fleet utilization, standardized fleet and product, using lower cost secondary airports, avoiding night stoping of crews, etc etc.

What countless attempts at low cost long haul have shown is that those opportunities to "arbitrage" the cost decline very rapidly as the routes thy intend to fly get longer. They're unable to lower their unit costs sufficiently to be consistently lower than the much, much lower unit revenues they receive to fill their flight. Just recently, we saw Norwegian switch from Oakland to San Fransisco, ostensibly because the lower operating costs at Oakland compared to San Fransisco were not substantial enough.

Thank you for pointing out this. I have a degree in Aviation Management & Operations thus i understand it. This is why i will stick by my point; unless you have a clear strategy for low cost (Or should it be LOWER cost) long haul then it will never work. Ryanair nor easyJet will ever make a venture over the Atlantic.

Nickd92

Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:21 pm

anstar wrote:
Nickd92 wrote:

Jetstar is a different kettle of fish. Backed by a legacy carrier.

You also cannot compare Asia/Oceania to Europe and TATL. Total different kettle of fish. Oranges and Bananas.

PatrickZ80

Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:10 pm

Nickd92 wrote:

That's because Norwegian has made a good number of strategic errors. Long haul low cost is a tough market, but not impossible. If done right, it can work. The problem is that Norwegian is not doing it right.

gatibosgru wrote:
I could see B6 and DL getting to the Azores and KEF before I see Easy/Ryanair there.

Look again, Ryanair already flies to the Azores and EasyJet already flies to Keflavik. They're not bases yet, just destinations. But who knows what the future might bring.

However the one airline I could see entering the TATL market is Wizzair. After all, they have 20 A321XLR on order. What are they going to do with those aircraft? So far only one route has been mentioned, London Luton - Dubai World Central. But you don't need 20 aircraft to serve 1 route. There are bound to be more.

PatrickZ80

Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:13 pm

anstar wrote:

But the A321XLRs that Wizzair has on order do have the range. It remains to be seen what Wizzair is going to do with them.

evanb

Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:28 am

PatrickZ80 wrote:
That's because Norwegian has made a good number of strategic errors. Long haul low cost is a tough market, but not impossible. If done right, it can work. The problem is that Norwegian is not doing it right.

How do you suppose Norwegian (or EasyJet, Ryanair or Wizzair) can dramatically lower costs compared to airlines they'll compete with on long haul? Based on the European LCC model they'd need to cut CASK by about 50% over BA or LH in order to survive on a 50% lower RASK. How are they going to do this in order to make it successful?

evanb

Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:29 am

Nickd92 wrote:
Thank you for pointing out this. I have a degree in Aviation Management & Operations thus i understand it. This is why i will stick by my point; unless you have a clear strategy for low cost (Or should it be LOWER cost) long haul then it will never work. Ryanair nor easyJet will ever make a venture over the Atlantic.

And it's not like Ryanair and easyJet have not had the opportunities. They have and keep turning them down :-)

gatibosgru

Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:08 am

PatrickZ80 wrote:
Nickd92 wrote:

quote="gatibosgru"]I could see B6 and DL getting to the Azores and KEF before I see Easy/Ryanair there.

Look again, Ryanair already flies to the Azores and EasyJet already flies to Keflavik. They're not bases yet, just destinations. But who knows what the future might bring.

I meant from/to the US. I know DL flies JFK-PDL but I think BOS would be a good option for them too.
@DadCelo

Cunard

Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:05 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
anstar wrote:

But the A321XLRs that Wizzair has on order do have the range. It remains to be seen what Wizzair is going to do with them.

Wizzair publicly stated at the time of the order for the A321XLR that they definitely had no intentions on flying transatlantic with the aircraft and instead they would be looking eastwards towards the likes of Dubai where they currently fly to from several eastern European airports.

There be no transatlantic operations from EasyJet, Ryanair or Wizzair.

Too much competition in the market and not enough profit to be made. As others have pointed out they have all had the opportunity to do so before now which none of them have and I'm sure that all three of them have been taking a close look at Norwegian and their transatlantic operations.
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.

Cunard

Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:35 pm

fromheretohere9 wrote:
easyJet would certainly have a sniff before Ryanair would. Ryanair has talked about it for years. They have only just entered the Middle East market in recent years with flights from European Bases to Amman And Aqaba in Jordan and Tel Aviv and Eliat in Israel. Ryanair makes their crews return all flights currently and don’t have any overnight crew stops. I don’t believe easyJet do either but I believe they’ll start to the US first or at least a crew stop over first: Although they do know have easyJet Worldwide which allows connection with 15 other airlines across the easyJet network, so effectively easyJet does fly to US with Norwegian and Virgin connection out of Gatwick.

Point 1)

Not sure about Ryanair but EasyJet do overnight their crew at several airports, an example being the last flight of the day between LGW and MAD.

Point 2)

If EasyJet or Ryanair flew transtlantic the crew would have to overnight anyway as there is no way that they could work the return flight for obvious reasons.

Point 3)

EasyJet worldwide connections is just that ''connections''. Connection flights operated by DY, VS, WS do not carry the EZY code and the airline's involved are just worldwide airline partners with connection opportunities. So effectively EasyJet do not fly to the USA or Canada for that matter. You fly with EasyJet and connect to another airline for an extra charge but this does not mean that EasyJet affectively fly to the USA.

Loganair is also a member of EasyJet Worldwide Connections with partners Norwegian and Virgin Atlantic, does that mean that they too effectively fly to the USA, (I think not).

Point 4)

EasyJet are not foolish enough to have ''a sniff at transatlantic'' before Ryanair would! That's unless they acquired Norwegian and took control of the airline and combining the entire operation with EasyJet which I could honestly see as being a likely scenario at some point.
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.

Cunard

Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:06 pm

crjflyboy wrote:
Could this happen ?

I had no idea Ryanair had 485 planes and Easy Jet has 327

Ryanair actually have 421 aircraft with 26 on order (24 aircraft also fly for their polish subsidiary Ryanair Sun) all Boeing 737 aircraft. (I'm not including their Austrian subsidiary LaudaMotion with 21 Airbus aircraft). The Ryanair Group consists of Ryanair, Ryanair UK, Ryanair Sun and LaudaMotion.

EasyJet have 327 aircraft with 114 on order.

If you had no idea of the size of the two airline's fleets your probably be surprised at the size of other airlines fleets.

For example Southwest Airlines have 754 aircraft with 276 on order :-)

If your not aware of it by now and I'm sure that you are but http://www.planespotters.com is an excellent site which is updated on a daily basis with great information regarding the fleets of current and non current airlines.