ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Will Turkish Airlines launch flights to Dallas/Fort Worth in the near future?

Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:30 am

Do you think that Turkish Airlines will launch flights from Istanbul's New Airport to Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport in the next year or so considering that Turkish Airlines serves more countries than any other airline. Emirates and Qatar Airways already operate to Dallas/Fort Worth out of Dubai and Doha respectively and I am wondering if Turkish Airlines will do the same out of Istanbul.
Last edited by qf789 on Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: misleading title

enilria

Re: Turkish Airlines to Dallas/Fort Worth

Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:35 am

You need to change the title. This implies it is official and this is totally wishful thinking.

I don’t think TK will expand much in the USA until all the runways at the new Istanbul airport are built.

qf789

Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:42 am

enilria wrote:
You need to change the title. This implies it is official and this is totally wishful thinking.

I don’t think TK will expand much in the USA until all the runways at the new Istanbul airport are built.

Title has been changed
Forum Moderator

rjmf22

Re: Will Turkish Airlines launch flights to Dallas/Fort Worth in the near future?

Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:17 am

DFW is a OneWorld hub, and IAH is a Star Alliance hub, which allows for an enormous amount of connections through United, which is partially why they serve IAH and not DFW. Why on earth would they serve DFW?
United Airlines

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Re: Will Turkish Airlines launch flights to Dallas/Fort Worth in the near future?

Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:20 am

rjmf22 wrote:
DFW is a OneWorld hub, and IAH is a Star Alliance hub, which allows for an enormous amount of connections through United, which is partially why they serve IAH and not DFW. Why on earth would they serve DFW?

Qatar Airways is a OneWorld member and serves both DFW and Houston Intercontinental so I could see Turkish Airlines doing the same at some point.

LAXintl

Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:27 am

Its one of seven identified future US/Canada markets by TK.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:29 am

LAXintl wrote:

Are you referring to DFW Airport.

enilria

Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:32 am

LAXintl wrote:

I think the Middle East service is already probably enough to dissuade, but I hear that they are at capacity at their hub until the next phase of the new airport opens.

jplatts

Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:33 am

rjmf22 wrote:

Even though AA is in the oneworld alliance, there are a few foreign Star Alliance carriers such as AC, TA, and LH that already serve DFW.

LAXdude1023

Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:43 am

rjmf22 wrote:

That is a reason. The bigger reason is that IAH produces market size and fare premiums to that region that DFW wouldn’t be able to. That said, if a 330 had the legs for IST-DFW, why not?
Religion is the root of evil...

AlexBrewster03

Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:44 am

rjmf22 wrote:

Turkish can even manage to serve ATL, so non-star alliance hubs are able to be served...

YYZORD

Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:45 am

It's more likely TK is adding IST-YVR next because Canadian Air Transport gave TK 3X weekly to fly to YVR from IST.

Airlinerdude

Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:20 am

YYZORD wrote:
It's more likely TK is adding IST-YVR next because Canadian Air Transport gave TK 3X weekly to fly to YVR from IST.

TK gets to start YVR before EK? What's the reasoning for this... AC giving the ok?

LAXdude1023

Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:30 am

Airlinerdude wrote:
YYZORD wrote:

TK gets to start YVR before EK? What's the reasoning for this... AC giving the ok?

The Canada/UAE bilateral only allows 7x weekly frequencies to all of Canada for both EY and EK to split.
Religion is the root of evil...

L0VE2FLY

Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:35 am

Detroit makes much more sense with its huge Middle Eastern diaspora, TK's extensive network in the Middle East will guarantee the success of IST-DTW.

chidino

Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:36 am

They very well may, short-term: the question is can they keep up all their expansion? First, it has been paid for by borrowing, and secondly, isn't Project Sunrise directly aimed at eliminating the long-distance stopovers they want to steal from the ME3? I don't question IST can be a superb hub for that part of the world, but the long hauls will fly over as soon as they can. And then, can TK support that much traffic from that many cities in the US? Maybe, but connections will determine that. I have my doubts.

thekorean

Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:43 am

enilria wrote:

How many runways are operational? I thought 4 runways were all good to go.

thekorean

Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:47 am

chidino wrote:
They very well may, short-term: the question is can they keep up all their expansion? First, it has been paid for by borrowing, and secondly, isn't Project Sunrise directly aimed at eliminating the long-distance stopovers they want to steal from the ME3? I don't question IST can be a superb hub for that part of the world, but the long hauls will fly over as soon as they can. And then, can TK support that much traffic from that many cities in the US? Maybe, but connections will determine that. I have my doubts.

There will always be demand for connecting flights.Look at how many European cities TK flies to and tell me all of them will get flights to Asia.

Airlinerdude

Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:52 am

LAXdude1023 wrote:
Airlinerdude wrote:
YYZORD wrote:

The Canada/UAE bilateral only allows 7x weekly frequencies to all of Canada for both EY and EK to split.

It's actually 10 weekly frequencies, as per the update last year this time. I'm well aware of the restrictions imposed upon the UAE.

My remark is more facetious. I don't understand why TK will be allowed more than 10 weekly frequencies to operate to Canada while UAE carriers won't.

YYZORD

Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:21 am

Go to Turkey Aviation Forum for June 2019, it's listed there.

Airlinerdude wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:
Airlinerdude wrote:

It's actually 10 weekly frequencies, as per the update last year this time. I'm well aware of the restrictions imposed upon the UAE.

My remark is more facetious. I don't understand why TK will be allowed more than 10 weekly frequencies to operate to Canada while UAE carriers won't.

jplatts

Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:52 pm

Airlinerdude wrote:
YYZORD wrote:

One big difference between TK and EK is that TK is actually headquartered in Turkey (where IST is located), whereas EK is headquartered in the UAE (where DXB is located). TK and AC are also both in the Star Alliance, and TK would also be able to connect passengers onto AC flights to destinations in Alaska, British Columbia, and the Yukon Territory through YVR.

MIflyer12

Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:25 pm

L0VE2FLY wrote:
Detroit makes much more sense with its huge Middle Eastern diaspora, TK's extensive network in the Middle East will guarantee the success of IST-DTW.

You think Chaldean Christians want to go back to Iraq? Middle East destinations are already served well one-stop from DTW by DL/AF/KL and RJ.

YYZORD

Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:32 pm

They'll even connect that flight to SEA, PDX, and maybe LAS/PHX.

jplatts wrote:
Airlinerdude wrote:
YYZORD wrote:

One big difference between TK and EK is that TK is actually headquartered in Turkey (where IST is located), whereas EK is headquartered in the UAE (where DXB is located). TK and AC are also both in the Star Alliance, and TK would also be able to connect passengers onto AC flights to destinations in Alaska, British Columbia, and the Yukon Territory through YVR.

gdg9

Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:11 pm

TK has been a longstanding rumor at DFW for a few years now. Time will tell.

For the folks rightly pointing out that DFW is a oneworld hub with AA, I would point out that both KE and LH have been doing fairly well here for a long time, despite their SkyTeam and Star Alliance memberships. So it is possible for a non one-world carrier to succeed here on long-haul. Of course, with EK and QR here daily, is that enough seats for the Middle East/connections? EY was chased off.

Certainly DFW would offer some very nice concessions to start off - discount or waived terminal rents, landing fees, etc. Perhaps if the route is ever started it would be 3x weekly to test the waters.
@dfwtower

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:41 pm

gdg9 wrote:
TK has been a longstanding rumor at DFW for a few years now. Time will tell.

For the folks rightly pointing out that DFW is a oneworld hub with AA, I would point out that both KE and LH have been doing fairly well here for a long time, despite their SkyTeam and Star Alliance memberships. So it is possible for a non one-world carrier to succeed here on long-haul. Of course, with EK and QR here daily, is that enough seats for the Middle East/connections? EY was chased off.

Certainly DFW would offer some very nice concessions to start off - discount or waived terminal rents, landing fees, etc. Perhaps if the route is ever started it would be 3x weekly to test the waters.

Qatar Airways also serves Houston.

dfwjim1

Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:07 pm

TK serves Miami which is a One World hub, just not on the scale of DFW.

L0VE2FLY

Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:39 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
L0VE2FLY wrote:

You think Chaldean Christians want to go back to Iraq? Middle East destinations are already served well one-stop from DTW by DL/AF/KL and RJ.

Detroit's Middle Eastern community is the biggest in North America and they're from all over the Middle East not just Iraq, many immigrants, especially those who grew up in their native countries have no problem going for a visit including Iraqis.

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:28 am

L0VE2FLY wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
L0VE2FLY wrote:

Detroit's Middle Eastern community is the biggest in North America and they're from all over the Middle East not just Iraq, many immigrants, especially those who grew up in their native countries have no problem going for a visit including Iraqis.

Kind of a surprise that Emirates does not have flights from Dubai to Detroit though.

MAH4546

Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:52 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
L0VE2FLY wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:

Kind of a surprise that Emirates does not have flights from Dubai to Detroit though.

No, it’s not. Dubai is on the wrong side of the Middle East to capture that traffic.
a.

enilria

Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:33 pm

thekorean wrote:
enilria wrote:

How many runways are operational? I thought 4 runways were all good to go.

A TK staffer told me only 2 are operational.

EDIT: I'm looking at Google Earth. It appears that 4 are built, but 2 are REALLY far away from the terminal. I wonder if he was meaning that there will be two more runways built on the East side of the terminal because looking at the airport the layout makes no sense unless there are two more runways coming on the East side. On another note, I only see about 75 gates. I'm kinda shocked it is that small. Is that enough? Are there more coming?

EDIT2: There are like 50 hard stands. Why would you build a new airport with almost more hard stands than gates? Anybody????

EDIT3: OK, there are 4 runways, but two pairs are just 463 feet apart? WHY WOULD YOU BUILD NEW RUNWAYS 463 FEET APART? So, yeah, there's basically 2 runways.

TK787

Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:23 pm

-IST right now has two runway pairs operational. It looks like 2 x 2 but in fact there are 2 runways and 2 backups. So, when one runway is under maintenance/inop, they can use the adjacent one. So luxurious :)
-3rd runway ( without a back up adjacent runway ) to the East of the terminal, will be operational by the end of next year if not earlier. This will be mainly used for Domestic flights and make the taxi times shorter since the Domestic Piers are on the East side of the Terminal. This runway will be the last component of Phase1.
-Phase2 consists of an identical terminal to the East of the current terminal and the 3rd runway. And going further East there will be , a 4th and 5th runway and finally the 6th runway,( the only planned runway on East-West direction, all others are North-South ).
-There are a total fo 143 pax boarding gates at the moment.
-About the hard stands, 50 might look like a lot, but it will come in handy in years and years to come. Who would have thought that TK will have 12 MAX's sitting on those hard stands for all this time:) And also, let's not forget just TK alone will be getting 190 new planes in the next 4 years. And on top of that TK Cargo is growing like crazy and will move to the this airport from Ataturk in a year or so. In short, it is going to be lot busier if all goes well in about 5 years.
-Finally back to DFW, like "LAXintl" said, post#6:
"Its one of seven identified future US/Canada markets by TK."
TK got its first 2 789s this month.
By this time next year TK will have 15 789s and 5 359s, we might see some of those seven markets happening. Not too hopeful about the Canadian airports though, due to Canadian authorities.