Max Q
Topic Author

Will United return to India ?

Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:30 am

Latest update states service from EWR is canceled through October 26

They seem to be kicking the can further and further down the road

Airspace restrictions notwithstanding I’m wondering if UA intend to return to India at all ?
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

Guns and the love of them by a loud minority are a malignant and deadly cancer inflicted on American society

eamondzhang

Re: Will United return to India ? The

Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:32 am

Well given both DEL and BOM were 77W routes before suspension I figure UA should be planning to come back whenever possible

I would say using 77W is a good indicator on how routes performed or they would have stick the routes with 77E or even downgauge to 788 if needed be

Michael

Adipocere

Re: Will United return to India ?

Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:51 am

They could potentially go to KHI or ISB following BA.

Cointrin330

Re: Will United return to India ? The

Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:52 am

eamondzhang wrote:
Well given both DEL and BOM were 77W routes before suspension I figure UA should be planning to come back whenever possible

I would say using 77W is a good indicator on how routes performed or they would have stick the routes with 77E or even downgauge to 788 if needed be

Michael

BOM was on the 77W. I think DEL was still being flown with a 772ER (PMCO). I do think these routes will come back. They were profitable for UA, which was the only big 3 US carrier to make US-India nonstop work.

77H

Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:04 am

Yes they will return. Not to mention UA previously announced SFO-DEL which is to start in late October as well.

My guess is UA “kicked the can down to road” because they’ve found having the 77Ws handy for boosting capacity given the impact of the MAX groundings. Think of it as trickle down capacity. 77W replaces a 77E/A which replaces a... and so on...
While their were only 14 MAXs in the fleet at the time of the grounding, more were scheduled to be inducted over the summer. UA forecasted with that in mind which leaves them and other MAX carries facing a deficit. Since BOM/DEL were suspended due to “external forces” at least 2 77Ws are free to boost/backfill capacity wherever they are needed. No need to rush back into resuming service when there’s a need for them elsewhere at the moment. I think this is evident, anecdotally by the number of 77Ws operating into HNL as of late.

Which leads me to another point. I’ve noticed a growing number of cancelations and delays at UA over the summer. I’ve deduced, right or wrong that this may be again due to the MAX groundings, in that UA is keeping aircraft that would normally be cycling into scheduled maintenance, in service to try and maintain their schedule. The freed 77Ws can help in this scenario as operating as “spares” for equipment subs when another plane goes AOG.

77H

anshabhi

Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:07 am

Adipocere wrote:

Sorry not happening. I see UA flights reinstating in less than a week and SFO-DEL to start as on schedule

Cointrin330

Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:18 am

Adipocere wrote:

Definitely not. You will not see a US carrier flying to Pakistan any time soon. Very little business traffic, a lot of VFR and long stage length.

Cointrin330

Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:22 am

77H wrote:
Yes they will return. Not to mention UA previously announced SFO-DEL which is to start in late October as well.

My guess is UA “kicked the can down to road” because they’ve found having the 77Ws handy for boosting capacity given the impact of the MAX groundings. Think of it as trickle down capacity. 77W replaces a 77E/A which replaces a... and so on...
While their were only 14 MAXs in the fleet at the time of the grounding, more were scheduled to be inducted over the summer. UA forecasted with that in mind which leaves them and other MAX carries facing a deficit. Since BOM/DEL were suspended due to “external forces” at least 2 77Ws are free to boost/backfill capacity wherever they are needed. No need to rush back into resuming service when there’s a need for them elsewhere at the moment. I think this is evident, anecdotally by the number of 77Ws operating into HNL as of late.

Which leads me to another point. I’ve noticed a growing number of cancelations and delays at UA over the summer. I’ve deduced, right or wrong that this may be again due to the MAX groundings, in that UA is keeping aircraft that would normally be cycling into scheduled maintenance, in service to try and maintain their schedule. The freed 77Ws can help in this scenario as operating as “spares” for equipment subs when another plane goes AOG.

77H

Very good summary. UA had 14 MAXs in service (all MAX-9s) that were grounded as part of the worldwide grounding. The BOM and DEL suspensions indeed give them some spare 777s to backfill around the system. The 737-MAX9 routes were supposedly covered mostly by 737-800/900ER's but the fleet is stretched in the busy summer, UA has challenging hub operations (EWR, ORD, SFO in particular) and there have been storms on the East Coast that have wreaked havoc on EWR and IAD ops. UA had an abysmal on time record in June.

DTWLAX

Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:51 am

anshabhi wrote:
Sorry not happening. I see UA flights reinstating in less than a week and SFO-DEL to start as on schedule

You see UA reinstating BOM and DEL in less than a week?
UA just put out a memo saying BOM and DEL are suspended until the end of October.

DTWLAX

Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:57 am

Also, Pakistan just opened its airspace. So now let us see if UA reinstates BOM and DEL.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1427075

anshabhi

Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:58 am

DTWLAX wrote:
anshabhi wrote:

You see UA reinstating BOM and DEL in less than a week?
UA just put out a memo saying BOM and DEL are suspended until the end of October.

Memo is 8 hours old. Airspace opening is 1.5 hours old

There was literally no reason other than airspace closure for them to suspend the flights.

dmstorm22

Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:27 am

It's bookable starting post 10/26 (or at least it is on 10/30 where I have a EWR-BOM booking).

The 10/26 date seems really specific....?

gsg013

Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:35 am

Where did the 77W's that were serving these routes get moved to?

UALifer

Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:22 am

dmstorm22 wrote:
It's bookable starting post 10/26 (or at least it is on 10/30 where I have a EWR-BOM booking).

10/27 is the start of the IATA winter season.

dmstorm22

Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:30 pm

UALifer wrote:
dmstorm22 wrote:

10/27 is the start of the IATA winter season.

Thanks for that, learned something new!

PatrickZ80

Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:20 pm

I don't think they will return to India, at least not on a big scale. After all they have their partner Lufthansa to cover anything beyond Europe such as India. Lufthansa has a reasonable presence in India and the Lufthansa hubs are very well connected to the USA by both United and Lufthansa. As such, they can funnel the demand between anywhere in the USA and anywhere in India through Frankfurt or Munich.

DTWLAX

Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:25 am

PatrickZ80 wrote:
I don't think they will return to India, at least not on a big scale. After all they have their partner Lufthansa to cover anything beyond Europe such as India. Lufthansa has a reasonable presence in India and the Lufthansa hubs are very well connected to the USA by both United and Lufthansa. As such, they can funnel the demand between anywhere in the USA and anywhere in India through Frankfurt or Munich.

UA is returning to India starting September 7th. Both BOM and DEL from EWR resuming on September 6th.