Page 1 of 1

Why didn't/doesn't VS fly to SIN?

Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:09 pm
by UAUA
They never did. Why? Will they?

SQ owned 49% of VS but still.....

Re: Why didn't/doesn't VS fly to SIN?

Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:15 pm
by ORDJOE
VS gets more leisure traffic, SIN isnt really a leisure destination. At the end of the day why does anyone do what they do.... money either not enough or more can be had elsewhere

Re: Why didn't/doesn't VS fly to SIN?

Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:32 pm
by IWMBH
They mainly focused on the Americas and SQ had the Asia routes. We might see some changes in that in the coming years after DL took over and can handle some of their US traffic.

Re: Why didn't/doesn't VS fly to SIN?

Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:37 pm
by SeanM1997
Virgin Atlantic codeshare with Singapore Airlines and so they don't need to fly there on their own metal

Re: Why didn't/doesn't VS fly to SIN?

Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:45 pm
by BlueberryWheats
ORDJOE wrote:
At the end of the day why does anyone do what they do.... money either not enough or more can be had elsewhere


This. ^^

This, and many other threads can now be closed.

Re: Why didn't/doesn't VS fly to SIN?

Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:53 pm
by 3AWM
Absolutely no proof or knowledge of this but I woudld like to speculate it's to do with SQ's agreements to transit passengers onwards to east cost US - ie VS stay out of UK-SIN but get onwards TFR PAX.

Re: Why didn't/doesn't VS fly to SIN?

Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:35 am
by TheFlyingDisk
On a related note, why did VS fly to KUL? IIRC they even had a partnership with MH prior to the Asian Financial Crisis.

Re: Why didn't/doesn't VS fly to SIN?

Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:46 am
by TheEuphorian
On the topic of VS's Southeast Asian network, why didn't they operate to BKK?

Re: Why didn't/doesn't VS fly to SIN?

Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:12 pm
by UAUA
They fly to JFK, EWR, HKG, NRT though

Re: Why didn't/doesn't VS fly to SIN?

Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:40 pm
by Insertnamehere
UAUA wrote:
They fly to JFK, EWR, HKG, NRT though


Because NYC is a huge leisure market that also happens to be a financial capital making them able to fill the front and back of the plane.
Same for Tokyo and for Hong Kong. Virgin's bread and butter is leisure focused with some business traffic to increase the margins.

Singapore is a long flight with not the same level of leisure focus as Hong Kong, New York, or Tokyo.

Would they fly to SIN? With the introduction of the A350 it could be possible to take a 787 off New York or another one of their big destinations and send it to
SIN but I would not bet on it.

Re: Why didn't/doesn't VS fly to SIN?

Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:01 pm
by UAUA
Singapore is a great place for a quality vacation with great food, casino, modern infrastructures, casinos, Sentosa etc. Sure it gets extremely boring after 5-7 days as it is a tiny island but tourists can also travel to Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia etc.

Re: Why didn't/doesn't VS fly to SIN?

Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:55 pm
by zakuivcustom
ORDJOE wrote:
VS gets more leisure traffic, SIN isnt really a leisure destination. At the end of the day why does anyone do what they do.... money either not enough or more can be had elsewhere


Insertnamehere wrote:
UAUA wrote:
They fly to JFK, EWR, HKG, NRT though


Because NYC is a huge leisure market that also happens to be a financial capital making them able to fill the front and back of the plane.
Same for Tokyo and for Hong Kong. Virgin's bread and butter is leisure focused with some business traffic to increase the margins.

Singapore is a long flight with not the same level of leisure focus as Hong Kong, New York, or Tokyo.

Would they fly to SIN? With the introduction of the A350 it could be possible to take a 787 off New York or another one of their big destinations and send it to
SIN but I would not bet on it.


Except the whole "leisure traffic" premise is not even true. Why else would VS fly to JNB (How leisure is THAT?), DEL (Again, leisure?), etc.?

And how is HKG/Tokyo more leisure than SIN anyway?

As UAUA puts it - yes, Singapore gets boring after 5-7 days, but what make one thinks Hong Kong doesn't gets just as boring after 5-7 days?

Re: Why didn't/doesn't VS fly to SIN?

Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:10 pm
by x1234
zakuivcustom, JNB actually has high end tourism with African safaris and what-not. VS used to not serve SIN because they had a equity stake of 49% from SQ. Now the owner is DL and is being rebranded as DL UK primarily serving the US & Carribean with a smattering of African & Asian destinations used to feed the US network (LOS, JNB, DEL & BOM, PVG & HKG are high yielding in its own right). They pulled out of Tokyo because everyone moved to HND and they couldn't get slots.

Re: Why didn't/doesn't VS fly to SIN?

Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:01 pm
by ZK-NBT
TheFlyingDisk wrote:
On a related note, why did VS fly to KUL? IIRC they even had a partnership with MH prior to the Asian Financial Crisis.


VS flew to KUL? Partnerships are pretty common to allow airlines to cover places they don’t fly to or need to fly to on their own.

Re: Why didn't/doesn't VS fly to SIN?

Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:59 pm
by zakuivcustom
x1234 wrote:
zakuivcustom, JNB actually has high end tourism with African safaris and what-not. VS used to not serve SIN because they had a equity stake of 49% from SQ. Now the owner is DL and is being rebranded as DL UK primarily serving the US & Carribean with a smattering of African & Asian destinations used to feed the US network (LOS, JNB, DEL & BOM, PVG & HKG are high yielding in its own right). They pulled out of Tokyo because everyone moved to HND and they couldn't get slots.


My whole point is that JNB is just not "leisure" route, but rather, a route not too different than HKG/PVG/TYO (or...well, SIN or even DXB) where it's a mix of business, tourism (high end), and VFR traffic. I guess I should be more clear.

I do agree with SIN, and believe that the partial ownership by SQ is by far the most plausible answer to the OP's question.

Re: Why didn't/doesn't VS fly to SIN?

Posted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:02 pm
by jetwet1
I don't remember VS ever having flights to KUL, they do however get MX work done there on the Airbus fleet.

Re: Why didn't/doesn't VS fly to SIN?

Posted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:30 pm
by bhxalex
TheFlyingDisk wrote:
On a related note, why did VS fly to KUL? IIRC they even had a partnership with MH prior to the Asian Financial Crisis.


They didn't serve KUL...

Re: Why didn't/doesn't VS fly to SIN?

Posted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:25 am
by TheFlyingDisk
bhxalex wrote:
TheFlyingDisk wrote:
On a related note, why did VS fly to KUL? IIRC they even had a partnership with MH prior to the Asian Financial Crisis.


They didn't serve KUL...


Don't they? Or did they simply codeshared on an MH flight?

Re: Why didn't/doesn't VS fly to SIN?

Posted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:23 pm
by UAUA
zakuivcustom wrote:
x1234 wrote:
zakuivcustom, JNB actually has high end tourism with African safaris and what-not. VS used to not serve SIN because they had a equity stake of 49% from SQ. Now the owner is DL and is being rebranded as DL UK primarily serving the US & Carribean with a smattering of African & Asian destinations used to feed the US network (LOS, JNB, DEL & BOM, PVG & HKG are high yielding in its own right). They pulled out of Tokyo because everyone moved to HND and they couldn't get slots.


My whole point is that JNB is just not "leisure" route, but rather, a route not too different than HKG/PVG/TYO (or...well, SIN or even DXB) where it's a mix of business, tourism (high end), and VFR traffic. I guess I should be more clear.

I do agree with SIN, and believe that the partial ownership by SQ is by far the most plausible answer to the OP's question.


But SQ doesn't own VS anymore. Not for quite sometime

Re: Why didn't/doesn't VS fly to SIN?

Posted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:04 pm
by jetwet1
TheFlyingDisk wrote:
bhxalex wrote:
TheFlyingDisk wrote:
On a related note, why did VS fly to KUL? IIRC they even had a partnership with MH prior to the Asian Financial Crisis.


They didn't serve KUL...


Don't they? Or did they simply codeshared on an MH flight?


Yes, they had a codeshare on MH, actually the quickest and easiest and cheapest way to get to gold in the frequent flyer program was to fly MH in first on the KUL - SIN route, i will probably get corrected on this, but i think it was 3 round trips to get to gold and each round trip was $250.

So $750 got you all the perk of being gold.