Cunard
Posts: 2476
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:45 pm

Re: British Airways 747 Route Network of the past.

Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:06 pm

33lspotter wrote:
In addition to their LHR services, I believe the 744s also flew from Gatters to ATL, IAH, and others, too (maybe DFW + MCO?)


British Airways never used the B747 on the former BCAL routes from Gatwick to the USA (not Gatters as I've always dispised that term)

LGW to ATL, DFW and IAH was always flown by the former BCAL DC10-30's and after their retirement the B777.

British Airways did use the B747 on LGW to MCO.

The only time a B747 was used on LGW to ATL was during the mid 1980's when BCAL operated to ATL in conjunction with Sabena that routed BRU-LGW-ATL with the B742 and B743.

The list of British Airways B747 routes would be endless as they flew to almost every long haul destination in the airline's network at one point or another.

Former British Airways routes ex LGW flown by the B747 at one time or another include the following.

Antigua
Barbados
Bogota
Buenos Aires
Caracas
Dar Es Salaam
Entebbe
Grenada
Harare
Islamabad
Kano
Lagos
Mahe
Mauritius
Nairobi
Orlando
Phoenix
Pittsburgh
Rio de Janiero
Santiago
Sao Paulo
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.
 
Cunard
Posts: 2476
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:45 pm

Re: British Airways 747 Route Network of the past.

Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:43 pm

From the introduction of the B747 into the BOAC fleet in 1970 upto the merger with British Airways and BCAL in 1988 and the introduction of the B777 in 1995 the B747 was flown throughout the airline's long haul network during that period which included the following destinations with other destinations such as Denver, Phoenix, Pittsburgh, San Diego added after 1998.

From LHR during the 1970/80 and 90's the following destinations were flown by the B747.

North America

Boston
Calgary
Chicago
Detroit
Edmonton
Los Angeles
Miami
Montreal
New York JFK
New York Newark
Philadelphia
Seattle
San Francisco
Toronto
Vancouver
Washington

Caribbean and South America

Antigua
Bermuda
Freeport
Georgetown
Grenada
Nassau
Port of Spain
St Lucia

Africa

Cairo
Cape Town
Dar Es Salaam
Durban
Entebbe
Harare
Johannesburg
Mahe
Mauritius
Nairobi

Middle East

Abu Dhabi
Baghdad
Bahrain
Doha
Dubai
Jeddah
Kuwait
Muscat
Riyadh
Tehran
Tel Aviv

Asia

Beijing
Bander Seri Begawan
Bangkok
Bombay (Mumbai)
Calcutta (Kalcutta)
Colombo
Delhi
Dhaka
Foukouka
Hong Kong
Islamabad
Jakarta
Karachi
Kuala Lumpur
Manila
Nagoya
Osaka
Rangoon (Yangon)
Singapore
Seoul
Sopporo
Tokyo

Oceania

Adelaide
Auckland
Brisbane
Christchurch
Melbourne
Perth
Sydney
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.
 
Cunard
Posts: 2476
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:45 pm

Re: British Airways 747 Route Network of the past.

Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:44 pm

Deleted due to duplicate post.
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.
 
Cunard
Posts: 2476
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:45 pm

Re: British Airways 747 Route Network of the past.

Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:27 pm

I missed Anchorage and Moscow from the list.
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.
 
leftcoast8
Posts: 155
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:59 am

Re: British Airways 747 Route Network of the past.

Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:15 pm

In the days of the South Africa's apartheid regime (1985), BA53/52 was 1x weekly LHR-HRE-CPT and 1x weekly LHR-HRE-DUR, using 747 Classics. After the transition to democracy, BA made Harare a stopover for its new route to Zambia. By 1994, BA53/52 got consolidated into 2x weekly LHR-HRE-LUN, using 744s. By 1997, BA based Zim flights out of Gatwick, and added 1 weekly LGW-HRE-LLW and 1 weekly LGW-HRE terminator (pre-existing LGW-HRE-LUN was kept). By 1999, the LGW-HRE terminator was extended to Lusaka.

In 2000, Mugabe began seizing land, so in 2001 BA reduced it to 3x weekly LGW-HRE-LUN using the 777-200ER. At some point it was moved back to Heathrow as well. The last flight was 10/28/2007 (by this time hyperinflation was getting out of control and Zim's collapse was kicking off), and BA switched to direct LHR-LUN. Zambia was axed in 2015.

Unfortunately specific dates for these changes are elusive. References I used:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british ... eturn.html
https://airlineroutes.wordpress.com/200 ... a-s97intl/
https://airlineroutes.wordpress.com/200 ... 4longhaul/
https://airlineroutes.wordpress.com/2011/01/25/ba-w85/
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british ... arare.html

I don't think BA ever used 747s in Pakistan. It was L-1011s until BA pulled out in 1990 (due to sectarian violence in Karachi) then the 777 during BA's brief LHR-ISB route in the mid 2000s (cut short by the 2008 Islamabad Marriott truck bombing), and now the 787-8 for their second attempt at LHR-ISB.

There were however 744s used for routes to Kolkata/Calcutta, as well as to Bangladesh and Sri Lanka, all destinations BA has given up on today.
 
amc737
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:56 am

Re: British Airways 747 Route Network of the past.

Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:02 pm

I have dug out some old BA timetables, in the summer 2000 timetable out of Gatwick 747's are timetabled to the following destinations:

Abuja (via Lagos)
Buenos Aires
Dar Es Salaam (via Nairobi)
Denver - equipment varies
Entebbe (via Nairobi)
Harare
Houston
Lagos
Lilongwe (via Harare)
Lusaka
Mauritius (non stop and via Naorobi)
Miami - equipment varies
Nairobi
Orlando
Phoenix
Rio De Janeiro (via Sao Paulo)
San Diego (via Phoenix)
Santiago De Chile (via Buenos Aires)
Sao Paulo
Seychelles (via Nairobi)

Amc737
 
Cunard
Posts: 2476
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:45 pm

Re: British Airways 747 Route Network of the past.

Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:01 pm

leftcoast8 wrote:
In the days of the South Africa's apartheid regime (1985), BA53/52 was 1x weekly LHR-HRE-CPT and 1x weekly LHR-HRE-DUR, using 747 Classics. After the transition to democracy, BA made Harare a stopover for its new route to Zambia. By 1994, BA53/52 got consolidated into 2x weekly LHR-HRE-LUN, using 744s. By 1997, BA based Zim flights out of Gatwick, and added 1 weekly LGW-HRE-LLW and 1 weekly LGW-HRE terminator (pre-existing LGW-HRE-LUN was kept). By 1999, the LGW-HRE terminator was extended to Lusaka.

In 2000, Mugabe began seizing land, so in 2001 BA reduced it to 3x weekly LGW-HRE-LUN using the 777-200ER. At some point it was moved back to Heathrow as well. The last flight was 10/28/2007 (by this time hyperinflation was getting out of control and Zim's collapse was kicking off), and BA switched to direct LHR-LUN. Zambia was axed in 2015.

Unfortunately specific dates for these changes are elusive. References I used:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british ... eturn.html
https://airlineroutes.wordpress.com/200 ... a-s97intl/
https://airlineroutes.wordpress.com/200 ... 4longhaul/
https://airlineroutes.wordpress.com/2011/01/25/ba-w85/
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british ... arare.html

I don't think BA ever used 747s in Pakistan. It was L-1011s until BA pulled out in 1990 (due to sectarian violence in Karachi) then the 777 during BA's brief LHR-ISB route in the mid 2000s (cut short by the 2008 Islamabad Marriott truck bombing), and now the 787-8 for their second attempt at LHR-ISB.

There were however 744s used for routes to Kolkata/Calcutta, as well as to Bangladesh and Sri Lanka, all destinations BA has given up on today.


British Airways did indeed operate B747 to Pakistan.

I can't remember the years of operations and the exact date that it stopped but British Airways used the B744 on a LGW-MAN-ISB routing for several years.

Lusaka was a route inherited from the the merger with BCAL in 1988.

LUN remained at LGW after the merger with BCAL but it was moved to LHR in 1994 as stated above operating via HRE.

By 1997 LUN was transferred back to LGW when British Airways made LGW their second London hub with all of the airline's long haul African routes operating from LGW except for the South Africa routes to Cape Town and Johannesburg that remained at LHR.
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.
 
beechnut
Posts: 751
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 12:27 am

Re: British Airways 747 Route Network of the past.

Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:14 pm

When the 744s were new, BA did LHR-YMX with them for a while, to help crews build experience. I flew on them on a trip to JNB on business at that time. They also flew the 741 and 742s on LHR-YMX. I believe the flight went onwards to DTW. Flew on those too, in 1985 (741) and 1994 (742).

Beech
 
gunnerman
Posts: 887
Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 7:55 pm

Re: British Airways 747 Route Network of the past.

Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:16 pm

As CAI is in the news BA used to have a daily 747.

Most of the Caribbean was served by 747s but I only remember DC-10s and 767s to NAS/GCM/PLS and DC-10s to SJU.
 
User avatar
xaapb
Posts: 430
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2005 2:08 pm

Re: British Airways 747 Route Network of the past.

Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:03 pm

British Airways switched to the Boeing 787-9 for the winter 2017 schedule.

One of my last pictures of BA Queen in MEX:


Greetings.
Jorge Meneses
 
Arion640
Posts: 2403
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:15 pm

Re: British Airways 747 Route Network of the past.

Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:32 pm

Cunard wrote:
Arion640 wrote:
dcajet wrote:

Well, in the 90s, before the 777 arrived to the fleet, the 747s (100, 200 & 400) were the only long haul fleet together with the ex BCAL DC-10s. So pretty much all over the map: South & North America, Caribbean, Africa, ME & Asia and Australia/NZ.


I think the 767’s and the Tristars were both in the fleet too in the mid 90’s.

As for 747 routes, Cairo and Moscow come to mind. Did they used to fly Dakar with the 747?

Barbados too!


Dakar was a former BCAL destination and was not operated by British Airways after the merger with BCAL in 1988.

BCAL used the DC10-30 from LGW to Dakar and prior to that the B707 as well as a weekly BAC1-11 service in the 1970's that routed LGW-Casablanca-Dakar-Banjul-Freetown-Monrovia.

British Airways have never served Dakar with their own aircraft although BMI British Midland Airways briefly served Dakar from LHR when they were a British Airways franchise operator with the A330.

After the merger of BCAL and British Airways in 1988 the airline's long haul fleet consisted of the B747, DC10-30 and L1011, the B767 arrived in 1993 and the B777 in 1995.


Sorry, wrong Dakar! I meant to say Dhaka.
223 319 320 321 333 346 359 388 733 73G 738 744 752 753 763 764 772 77E 773 77W 788 789 MD83 E145 E175 E195 RJ85 F70 DH8C DH8D AT75

Brexit - It’s time for global Britain.
 
DUSdude
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 4:20 am

Re: British Airways 747 Route Network of the past.

Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:39 pm

blrsea wrote:
I have good memories flying BLR-LHR-SEA on 747s in 2000s. BA served BLR with 747-400 for a long time. In fact once on a mid-week flight in low season, there were hardly 100 passengers in main cabin. I believe they served SEA with 744s for a short time before downgrading to 777s.


BA48/49 SEA-LHR is still served by the 747-400. G-CIVZ currently in the air and inbound SEA as I write. BA has two dailies to SEA during the summer season. The other one is a 777.
 
gunnerman
Posts: 887
Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 7:55 pm

Re: British Airways 747 Route Network of the past.

Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:17 pm

The last 744 to SEA will be on 26 October, to be reinstated on 29 March 2020.
 
flyjay123
Posts: 97
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:07 am

Re: British Airways 747 Route Network of the past.

Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:25 pm

Cunard wrote:
Arion640 wrote:
dcajet wrote:


After the merger of BCAL and British Airways in 1988 the airline's long haul fleet consisted of the B747, DC10-30 and L1011, the B767 arrived in 1993 and the B777 in 1995.


I flew a BA 767300 in September 1990 from Heathrow.
 
by738
Posts: 2997
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2000 7:59 am

Re: British Airways 747 Route Network of the past.

Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:46 pm

amc737 wrote:
I have dug out some old BA timetables, in the summer 2000 timetable out of Gatwick 747's are timetabled to the following destinations:
truncated...
Houston


Cunard wrote:
LGW to ATL, DFW and IAH was always flown by the former BCAL DC10-30's and after their retirement the B777


So who is right?
 
gunnerman
Posts: 887
Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 7:55 pm

Re: British Airways 747 Route Network of the past.

Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:58 pm

I know that in summer 1997 BA was daily on LGW-IAH with the 747. At that time ATL and DFW were also daily from LGW but using the D10.
 
Cunard
Posts: 2476
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:45 pm

Re: British Airways 747 Route Network of the past.

Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:58 pm

gunnerman wrote:
I know that in summer 1997 BA was daily on LGW-IAH with the 747. At that time ATL and DFW were also daily from LGW but using the D10.


Yes you are absolutely correct.

After my post I did some research and another poster has already pointed it out and indeed British Airways did operate the B747 daily from LGW to IAH from 1997.

The other former BCAL routes to ATL and DFW remained daily with the DC10-30.
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.
 
Cunard
Posts: 2476
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:45 pm

Re: British Airways 747 Route Network of the past.

Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:00 pm

flyjay123 wrote:
Cunard wrote:
Arion640 wrote:


I flew a BA 767300 in September 1990 from Heathrow.


Oh really did you, how enlightening :-)
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.
 
Cunard
Posts: 2476
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:45 pm

Re: British Airways 747 Route Network of the past.

Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:01 pm

Arion640 wrote:
Cunard wrote:
Arion640 wrote:

I think the 767’s and the Tristars were both in the fleet too in the mid 90’s.

As for 747 routes, Cairo and Moscow come to mind. Did they used to fly Dakar with the 747?

Barbados too!


Dakar was a former BCAL destination and was not operated by British Airways after the merger with BCAL in 1988.

BCAL used the DC10-30 from LGW to Dakar and prior to that the B707 as well as a weekly BAC1-11 service in the 1970's that routed LGW-Casablanca-Dakar-Banjul-Freetown-Monrovia.

British Airways have never served Dakar with their own aircraft although BMI British Midland Airways briefly served Dakar from LHR when they were a British Airways franchise operator with the A330.

After the merger of BCAL and British Airways in 1988 the airline's long haul fleet consisted of the B747, DC10-30 and L1011, the B767 arrived in 1993 and the B777 in 1995.


Sorry, wrong Dakar! I meant to say Dhaka.
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.
 
Cunard
Posts: 2476
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:45 pm

Re: British Airways 747 Route Network of the past.

Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:03 pm

Arion640 wrote:
Cunard wrote:
Arion640 wrote:

I think the 767’s and the Tristars were both in the fleet too in the mid 90’s.

As for 747 routes, Cairo and Moscow come to mind. Did they used to fly Dakar with the 747?

Barbados too!


Dakar was a former BCAL destination and was not operated by British Airways after the merger with BCAL in 1988.

BCAL used the DC10-30 from LGW to Dakar and prior to that the B707 as well as a weekly BAC1-11 service in the 1970's that routed LGW-Casablanca-Dakar-Banjul-Freetown-Monrovia.

British Airways have never served Dakar with their own aircraft although BMI British Midland Airways briefly served Dakar from LHR when they were a British Airways franchise operator with the A330.

After the merger of BCAL and British Airways in 1988 the airline's long haul fleet consisted of the B747, DC10-30 and L1011, the B767 arrived in 1993 and the B777 in 1995.


Sorry, wrong Dakar! I meant to say Dhaka.


Regardless of the wrong spelling I had already listed Dhaka as a former British Airways B747 route in my lengthy post a few posts before you posed the question :-)
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.
 
dcajet
Posts: 4117
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:31 am

Re: British Airways 747 Route Network of the past.

Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:10 pm

flyjay123 wrote:

I flew a BA 767300 in September 1990 from Heathrow.


Of course you did. First 763ER (G-BNWA) arrived in 4/1990. I stand corrected; would have sworn the 767s arrived a few years later.
"Unattended children will be given espresso and a free kitten"
 
flyjay123
Posts: 97
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:07 am

Re: British Airways 747 Route Network of the past.

Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:33 pm

Cunard wrote:
flyjay123 wrote:
Cunard wrote:


I flew a BA 767300 in September 1990 from Heathrow.


Oh really did you, how enlightening :-)


How patronising!
 
DUSdude
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 4:20 am

Re: British Airways 747 Route Network of the past.

Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:50 pm

gunnerman wrote:
The last 744 to SEA will be on 26 October, to be reinstated on 29 March 2020.


Yes, it's a summer seasonal upgauge.
 
smi0006
Posts: 2307
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:45 am

Re: British Airways 747 Route Network of the past.

Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:03 pm

steman wrote:
factsonly wrote:
Nickd92 wrote:

BA once had in its fleet 57, making it the largest operator in the world of the type.


This is incorrect, Japan Airlines was the largest B747 operator in the world at any one time.

Japan Airlines had a large B747 fleet consisting of many different variants and short-haul / long-haul / freighter sub-types;

- 20x B747-100
- 22x B747-200B
- 6x B747-SR
- 14x B747-200F
- 19x B747-300
- 28x B747-400



I´m sure the OP meant BA was the largest 747-400 operators. And that´s true. No other carrier had as many -400 in service at the same time as BA.


How big was the biggest order? Or was it lots and lots of small top up orders?
 
leftcoast8
Posts: 155
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:59 am

Re: British Airways 747 Route Network of the past.

Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:20 am

gunnerman wrote:
The last 744 to SEA will be on 26 October, to be reinstated on 29 March 2020.


It seems that BA will be sending double daily 77W to SEA in winter; the current S19 schedule has the afternoon flight on a 772 and the evening flight on a Super Hi-J 744. By comparison, YVR just up the border gets 1 daily Mid-J 744 in winter, and 1 daily A380 in summer. With this being said, is it safe to assume that BA will be using the 777-9X for Seattle in summer (which has a First cabin), and the A350-1000 for Vancouver in winter (which does not)?

Meaningless aside: YVR used to get 12 weekly 744s until S16 (starting in W15, YVR was moved from T5 to T3 along with a few other African and NA destinations like CPT, NBO, PHX, MIA). It freed up five weekly slots; I don't know which destination got them. I want to say Jo'burg or Mumbai. Meanwhile BA flies double-daily year round to Seattle, alongside Virgin Atlantic and Norwegian UK. Besides the Alaska cruise ship traffic, I wonder if it's designed to cater to connecting tech business traffic headed to DXB (the UAE has a lot of tech startups), HYD or BLR. I say this because 777s and Super Hi-J 747s imply lots of business demand.
 
Cunard
Posts: 2476
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:45 pm

Re: British Airways 747 Route Network of the past.

Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:38 am

flyjay123 wrote:
Cunard wrote:
flyjay123 wrote:

I flew a BA 767300 in September 1990 from Heathrow.


Oh really did you, how enlightening :-)


How patronising!


Well it was a rather ridiculous and pointless statement to make, if you think I was being patronising so be it, it's obviously offended you, I suggest you ''man up''!
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.
 
gunnerman
Posts: 887
Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 7:55 pm

Re: British Airways 747 Route Network of the past.

Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:50 am

On LHR-YVR BA plans to operate the 469-seat 388 until 30 September and then switch to the 337-seat 744 until 30 April 2020, after which it's the 388 again. Here's the configurations (744 in brackets).
First 14 (14)
Club World 97 (52)
World Traveller Plus 55 (36)
World Traveller 303 (235)
 
flyjay123
Posts: 97
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:07 am

Re: British Airways 747 Route Network of the past.

Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:26 am

Cunard wrote:
flyjay123 wrote:
Cunard wrote:

Oh really did you, how enlightening :-)


How patronising!


Well it was a rather ridiculous and pointless statement to make, if you think I was being patronising so be it, it's obviously offended you, I suggest you ''man up''!



You have got a serious attutude problem, and clearly have difficulty comprehending the point to what I wrote, however others haven't, just you!

Just to clarify; someone wrote tgat BA received 767's in 1993. I confirmed that I had flown one in September 1990, 3 years earlier.

It was a perfectly appropriate nessage .... however your responce was indeed partonising and childish

Its not the first time you have targeted me ... otlr indeed others with patronising comments

Im aware from following this app for nany many years, that you have a clique folliwing, but if peoples contributions are below you, maybe its time for yiu to move on.

Have a good day.
 
oldannyboy
Posts: 2383
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:28 am

Re: British Airways 747 Route Network of the past.

Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:57 am

dcajet wrote:
Nickd92 wrote:
As we all know the B747 are slowly coming for retirement from BA.

BA once had in its fleet 57, making it the largest operator in the world of the type. To delve into the past i am wondering where, throughout the 90's and 00's, did they send these?


Well, in the 90s, before the 777 arrived to the fleet, the 747s (100, 200 & 400) were the only long haul fleet together with the ex BCAL DC-10s. So pretty much all over the map: South & North America, Caribbean, Africa, ME & Asia and Australia/NZ.


Not quite correct. Besides their vast 747 fleet (-100s, -200s, -400s) they had the TriStars as well, and a large fleet of long-haul 767s. They only operated like 8 or 10 DC-10s in all, and only out of LGW.
 
Gangurru
Posts: 72
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:30 pm

Re: British Airways 747 Route Network of the past.

Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:16 am

Cunard wrote:
I missed Anchorage and Moscow from the list.


Great list, thanks Cunard!

Chennai (Madras) was also served
For a short while Darwin was a stop on Australian services at the start of the 747-100 era.
Frankfurt, Zurich and Rome were scheduled stops on some early 747-100 flights, notably from Nairobi as the early models were payload limited by the hot and high Kenyan conditions.
 
dcajet
Posts: 4117
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:31 am

Re: British Airways 747 Route Network of the past.

Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:19 pm

oldannyboy wrote:
dcajet wrote:
Nickd92 wrote:
As we all know the B747 are slowly coming for retirement from BA.

BA once had in its fleet 57, making it the largest operator in the world of the type. To delve into the past i am wondering where, throughout the 90's and 00's, did they send these?


Well, in the 90s, before the 777 arrived to the fleet, the 747s (100, 200 & 400) were the only long haul fleet together with the ex BCAL DC-10s. So pretty much all over the map: South & North America, Caribbean, Africa, ME & Asia and Australia/NZ.


Not quite correct. Besides their vast 747 fleet (-100s, -200s, -400s) they had the TriStars as well, and a large fleet of long-haul 767s. They only operated like 8 or 10 DC-10s in all, and only out of LGW.


You are correct and I had acknowledged a few posts above that I had forgotten about the 767, in the fleet from April 1990 onward. The TriStars, however, exited the fleet in 1991.
"Unattended children will be given espresso and a free kitten"
 
User avatar
longhauler
Posts: 6326
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 12:00 am

Re: British Airways 747 Route Network of the past.

Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:31 pm

flyjay123 wrote:
Just to clarify; someone wrote that BA received 767's in 1993. I confirmed that I had flown one in September 1990, 3 years earlier.
It was a perfectly appropriate nessage.


That's how I saw it. You politely corrected a previously stated misconception. In other words ... the main intent of a public forum. I too was a little surprised at the response, especially as you were not correcting that person in particular.

I am reminded of one of the main tenets of CRM. That is, what is correct is far more important than who is correct. If I had stated 1993 and someone corrected me that 1990 was correct, well ... that is something new I learned.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!
 
ACDC8
Posts: 7773
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:56 pm

Re: British Airways 747 Route Network of the past.

Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:04 pm

Just to further the 747 service in YVR, as previously stated, currently a 744 in the winter months and the A380 in the summer months. Back in the early 2000s, it used to be the 744 in the summer and the 742 in the winter.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut
 
oldannyboy
Posts: 2383
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:28 am

Re: British Airways 747 Route Network of the past.

Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:51 am

Cunard wrote:
Arion640 wrote:
dcajet wrote:


British Airways have never served Dakar with their own aircraft although BMI British Midland Airways briefly served Dakar from LHR when they were a British Airways franchise operator with the A330.

.


Don't think the A330 was ever operated during the franchise time, maybe you meant the A321?
 
jumpjets
Posts: 1428
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:17 pm

Re: British Airways 747 Route Network of the past.

Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:16 am

oldannyboy wrote:
Cunard wrote:
Arion640 wrote:


Don't think the A330 was ever operated during the franchise time, maybe you meant the A321?


When BA bought BMI they inherited the BMI A330s and continued to operate them for a short period of time. Maybe that is what dcajet means by a ‘franchise operator’.
 
gunnerman
Posts: 887
Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 7:55 pm

Re: British Airways 747 Route Network of the past.

Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:15 pm

BMeD inaugurated LHR-FNA-DKR using the 321 in October 2006 as a BA franchisee. BMI bought BMeD in February 2007 and so took over the franchise, but axed DKR in 2008.
 
oldannyboy
Posts: 2383
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:28 am

Re: British Airways 747 Route Network of the past.

Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:55 pm

jumpjets wrote:
oldannyboy wrote:
Cunard wrote:


Don't think the A330 was ever operated during the franchise time, maybe you meant the A321?


When BA bought BMI they inherited the BMI A330s and continued to operate them for a short period of time. Maybe that is what dcajet means by a ‘franchise operator’.


Whatever, but no A330 was ever operated by BD for BA.
 
by738
Posts: 2997
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2000 7:59 am

Re: British Airways 747 Route Network of the past.

Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:57 pm

oldannyboy wrote:
Whatever, but no A330 was ever operated by BD for BA.

Wrong. They most certainly did. I was on one. A BMI A330 from LHR-LCA (with original BMI crew) circa Oct 2012 BA662 during the transition phase. Was fully bookable on BA website with the A330 seat map at the time.
 
33lspotter
Posts: 544
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:37 pm

Re: British Airways 747 Route Network of the past.

Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:07 pm

Cunard wrote:
Well it was a rather ridiculous and pointless statement to make, if you think I was being patronising so be it, it's obviously offended you, I suggest you ''man up''!


Cunard the Curmudgeon. I do think you provide some useful insight, but I can't get past your terrible attitude.

flyjay123 wrote:
You have got a serious attutude problem, and clearly have difficulty comprehending the point to what I wrote, however others haven't, just you!


Wouldn't be the first time.
 
David_itl
Posts: 6365
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2001 7:39 am

Re: British Airways 747 Route Network of the past.

Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:56 pm

Just for completeness, there were some LHR/LGW routes that actually operated to MAN then non-stop to their destination and I think the flight numbers were per the brackets:

LGW-MAN-MCO (BA237/BA236)
LGW-MAN-BGI (BA255/BA254)
LHR-MAN-HKG which became LGW-MAN-HKG (BA20/BA19 -> BA35/BA36)
LHR-MAN-ISB which became LGW-MAN-ISB (BA118/BA119 -> BA2118/BA2119)

all of which were 2 weekly

I believe the odd LGW-MAN-JFK was operated by 747 in place of DC10 (BA2173/BA2172)
 
gunnerman
Posts: 887
Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 7:55 pm

Re: British Airways 747 Route Network of the past.

Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:57 pm

I was once on LGW-MAN-BGI a long time ago, I think it was in December 1987 and, if so, it would have been from the South Terminal.
 
directorguy
Posts: 1363
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:58 am

Re: British Airways 747 Route Network of the past.

Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:23 am

BA used to fly the 747 on LGW-DHA (Dhahran, Saudi Arabia) which was a big oil route. Later the 767 was used in the 90s. When DHA closed, BA served DMM as well until the route was cut after 9/11.
 
BealineV953
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:00 am

Re: British Airways 747 Route Network of the past.

Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:36 pm

A little more on the BA Regional 757s.
BA Regional (BAR) operated two B757s (G-BPEC & ‘EE) from January ’95 to October ’98. By summer ’97 they were operating daily BHX-JFK-YYZ and GLA-JFK-BOS services. They were configured with 18 ClubWorld and 138 WorldTraveller seats. I don’t mean to contradict earlier posts, honest, but the BAR 757s did not have a First Class cabin.
The sectors from JFK to YYZ and BOS were flown largely because between their arrival times from the UK and departure times back to the UK BA had nowhere at or near Terminal to park the two 757s.
Ever since childhood, when I lived within sight of London Airport, I have seldom seen a plane go by and not wished I was on it.”
With apologies to Paul Theroux - ‘The Great Railway Bazaar’
 
BealineV953
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:00 am

Re: British Airways 747 Route Network of the past.

Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:52 pm

Cunard wrote:
From the introduction of the B747 into the BOAC fleet in 1970 upto the merger with British Airways and BCAL in 1988 and the introduction of the B777 in 1995 the B747 was flown throughout the airline's long haul network during that period which included the following destinations with other destinations such as Denver, Phoenix, Pittsburgh, San Diego added after 1998.

From LHR during the 1970/80 and 90's the following destinations were flown by the B747.

North America

Boston
Calgary
Chicago
Detroit
Edmonton
Los Angeles
Miami
Montreal
New York JFK
New York Newark
Philadelphia
Seattle
San Francisco
Toronto
Vancouver
Washington

Caribbean and South America

Antigua
Bermuda
Freeport
Georgetown
Grenada
Nassau
Port of Spain
St Lucia

Africa

Cairo
Cape Town
Dar Es Salaam
Durban
Entebbe
Harare
Johannesburg
Mahe
Mauritius
Nairobi

Middle East

Abu Dhabi
Baghdad
Bahrain
Doha
Dubai
Jeddah
Kuwait
Muscat
Riyadh
Tehran
Tel Aviv

Asia

Beijing
Bander Seri Begawan
Bangkok
Bombay (Mumbai)
Calcutta (Kalcutta)
Colombo
Delhi
Dhaka
Foukouka
Hong Kong
Islamabad
Jakarta
Karachi
Kuala Lumpur
Manila
Nagoya
Osaka
Rangoon (Yangon)
Singapore
Seoul
Sopporo
Tokyo

Oceania

Adelaide
Auckland
Brisbane
Christchurch
Melbourne
Perth
Sydney


Are you sure about Rangoon / Yangon and Sapporo?
Other a.netters have confirmed many cities on your list, and added to your list (eg TPE) but I don't think I've seen these two confirmed by anyone. Apologies if I missed it, there are many posts.
I don't recall Rangoon being served by BA in the 747 era, by 747s or another type, but I could be wrong.
Ever since childhood, when I lived within sight of London Airport, I have seldom seen a plane go by and not wished I was on it.”
With apologies to Paul Theroux - ‘The Great Railway Bazaar’
 
BealineV953
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:00 am

Re: British Airways 747 Route Network of the past.

Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:04 pm

SQ317 wrote:
amc737 wrote:
It might be easier to work out where they didn't fly as the 747 has been British Airways most humorous long-haul aircraft until the late naughties when retirements and 777 deliveries tipped the balance. In the 90’s the 747 dominated BAs network, the Tristar was retired in October 91, the 777 arrived in late 1995 so at Heathrow in the early 90s BA only operated 747s and 767s and a lot of them exclusively flew short haul. I have excluded Concorde. The DC-10s remained at Gatwick until retirement. The 767s flew thinner long hauls especially to the Middle East and USA. Worth remembering there were a lot less thinner non-stop routes with tags being common such as Seychelles as mentioned above and Gaborone which utilised 747s. Even once the 777 arrived they lacked crew bunks leaving all very long hauls to the 747s this remained the case until the GYMM 777s where delivered.

Amc737


I was wondering about Gaborone the other day after QR announced the new tag on from JNB. When did BA operate it? I assume it was via JNB too, what sort of frequency does anyone know?


Gabarone was certainly served via JNB. From memory, in the period before the service ended, GBE was served twice a week. I think it operated until the mid to late 1990s.
Ever since childhood, when I lived within sight of London Airport, I have seldom seen a plane go by and not wished I was on it.”
With apologies to Paul Theroux - ‘The Great Railway Bazaar’
 
BealineV953
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:00 am

Re: British Airways 747 Route Network of the past.

Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:05 pm

smi0006 wrote:
steman wrote:
factsonly wrote:

This is incorrect, Japan Airlines was the largest B747 operator in the world at any one time.

Japan Airlines had a large B747 fleet consisting of many different variants and short-haul / long-haul / freighter sub-types;

- 20x B747-100
- 22x B747-200B
- 6x B747-SR
- 14x B747-200F
- 19x B747-300
- 28x B747-400



I´m sure the OP meant BA was the largest 747-400 operators. And that´s true. No other carrier had as many -400 in service at the same time as BA.


How big was the biggest order? Or was it lots and lots of small top up orders?


Do you mean BA? If so:
BA placed 14 separate 747-400 orders. The largest resulted in 14 deliveries, and two led to 12 deliveries. However, one of these was the last 747 order from which a number of aircraft were cancelled, so would have been for more than 12 when placed. The first order was for four aircraft. There was an order for three, three orders for two and six orders for a single aircraft.
Broadly speaking the first dozen or so BA 747-400s were ordered to enable expansion. The next 16 or so were originally intended to replace the 747-100s, but with the World economy doing and strong growth forecast the 747-100s were retained so that these 747-400s could be used for further expansion. During this period many destinations in North America (BOS, IAD, ORD, LAX, JFK and others) saw frequency increases, typically from daily to two or three flights a day.
Initially the 747-400s were all in one configuration. However, as the fleet grew three configurations were introduced: referred to as ‘low’, ‘medium’ and ‘high’ Club. In later years the ‘low’ configuration was dropped.
At one time ten 747-400s were based at Gatwick.
One and then two 747-400s were operated by British Asia Airways to Taiwan.
Ever since childhood, when I lived within sight of London Airport, I have seldom seen a plane go by and not wished I was on it.”
With apologies to Paul Theroux - ‘The Great Railway Bazaar’
 
gunnerman
Posts: 887
Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 7:55 pm

Re: British Airways 747 Route Network of the past.

Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:40 pm

It was LHR-JNB-GBE twice-weekly using the 744. At that time there was also LHR-JNB-DUR thrice-weekly, the other three weekly JNB flights terminated there, so eight weekly JNB flights in total.
 
User avatar
longhauler
Posts: 6326
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 12:00 am

Re: British Airways 747 Route Network of the past.

Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:09 pm

BealineV953 wrote:
They were configured with 18 ClubWorld and 138 WorldTraveller seats. I don’t mean to contradict earlier posts, honest, but the BAR 757s did not have a First Class cabin.

I was only going by what was actually written in the BA timetable dated 27 October, 1997. It certainly wasn't a "First" product, but it was labled that way.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!
 
GalaxyFlyer
Posts: 3709
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:44 am

Re: British Airways 747 Route Network of the past.

Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:38 pm

northstardc4m wrote:
heathrow wrote:
YYZ used to get it on at least one daily rotation in the summer at the very least. YVR used to be double daily in summer, now 380 but back to the Queen for winters.


Once upon a time (late 90s) YYZ got as much as 17 weekly Speedbirds operated by 741/742... those were the good old days as they say. Also got 757s and 763s from BA around that time on various interesting routings


When PANC was a “slip port” for BA, I understood they’d frequently be 15-20 BA crews laying over. Then Siberia opened up and PANC was reduced to freighters.

GF
 
Max Q
Posts: 7708
Joined: Wed May 09, 2001 12:40 pm

Re: British Airways 747 Route Network of the past.

Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:50 am

BealineV953 wrote:
Cunard wrote:
From the introduction of the B747 into the BOAC fleet in 1970 upto the merger with British Airways and BCAL in 1988 and the introduction of the B777 in 1995 the B747 was flown throughout the airline's long haul network during that period which included the following destinations with other destinations such as Denver, Phoenix, Pittsburgh, San Diego added after 1998.

From LHR during the 1970/80 and 90's the following destinations were flown by the B747.

North America

Boston
Calgary
Chicago
Detroit
Edmonton
Los Angeles
Miami
Montreal
New York JFK
New York Newark
Philadelphia
Seattle
San Francisco
Toronto
Vancouver
Washington

Caribbean and South America

Antigua
Bermuda
Freeport
Georgetown
Grenada
Nassau
Port of Spain
St Lucia

Africa

Cairo
Cape Town
Dar Es Salaam
Durban
Entebbe
Harare
Johannesburg
Mahe
Mauritius
Nairobi

Middle East

Abu Dhabi
Baghdad
Bahrain
Doha
Dubai
Jeddah
Kuwait
Muscat
Riyadh
Tehran
Tel Aviv

Asia

Beijing
Bander Seri Begawan
Bangkok
Bombay (Mumbai)
Calcutta (Kalcutta)
Colombo
Delhi
Dhaka
Foukouka
Hong Kong
Islamabad
Jakarta
Karachi
Kuala Lumpur
Manila
Nagoya
Osaka
Rangoon (Yangon)
Singapore
Seoul
Sopporo
Tokyo

Oceania

Adelaide
Auckland
Brisbane
Christchurch
Melbourne
Perth
Sydney


Are you sure about Rangoon / Yangon and Sapporo?
Other a.netters have confirmed many cities on your list, and added to your list (eg TPE) but I don't think I've seen these two confirmed by anyone. Apologies if I missed it, there are many posts.
I don't recall Rangoon being served by BA in the 747 era, by 747s or another type, but I could be wrong.



Don’t know about the 747 but I have a vivid
memory of landing in Rangoon on a BOAC
VC10 in the mid ‘70’s
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.


Guns and the love of them by a loud minority are a malignant and deadly cancer inflicted on American society

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CrisL and 27 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos