Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

YKF
Topic Author

United - connect in IAH, DEN, or ORD?

Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:46 pm

Hi all,

I'm looking at flying from YYZ to LAX later this year and UA is by far the cheapest option.

For the trip to LAX, the flight I'm leaning towards includes a 1hr 6min connection in SFO.

However, on the return, there are 3 different connecting options that come out to around the same price: a 1hr connection in DEN; a 1hr connection in IAH; or a 3 hour connection in ORD.

Which of these 3 airports offers the best connection experience for United?

Thanks!!

smallmj

Re: United - connect in IAH, DEN, or ORD?

Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:00 pm

Depends on the time of year. A short connection in a snow-prone city might turn into a misconnect in December, but wouldn't be an issue in October.

YKF
Topic Author

Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:08 pm

smallmj wrote:
Depends on the time of year. A short connection in a snow-prone city might turn into a misconnect in December, but wouldn't be an issue in October.

Good point... the trip is planned for the 2nd week of December and returning the first week of January. I think that leaves IAH as the least likely to be impacted by any snow event.

alggag

Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:28 pm

YKF wrote:
smallmj wrote:

Good point... the trip is planned for the 2nd week of December and returning the first week of January. I think that leaves IAH as the least likely to be impacted by any snow event.

I would go with DEN. While it rarely snows/ices in Houston if there's even a chance of a snow flurry then it turns into snowmageddon. :santahat:

bfitzflyer

Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:05 pm

DEN is the easiest for connections with linear layout. As much as love SFO in December it rains and there will be delays likely. IAH is kind of out of the way and I always avoid ORD for connections.

LittleFokker

Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:56 am

Typically, DEN only gets serious snow events in January and February. However, DEN got good snow as early as October and as late as April this year, so there's no guarantee of avoiding snow in early December and January. But DEN can handle a light snowfall without any issues. Since the runway redesign, ORD has become a much better operational airport. They can handle some snow very well and keep the flow going, but a heavy snow event might shut the airport down to one runway (because of ability to plow) and slow things down. IAH almost never gets snow (rarely drops below 40F in the winter), and the risk of thunderstorms (IAH's only big bugaboo) is very low during the winter. The biggest risk with IAH is a rare day when there's rain, but cold enough to freeze. They hardly keep any de-icing fluid in supply, so anything causing the need to de-ice can shut the place down. But like I said, it rarely drops below 40F, so that risk is very low. So your most risk adverse hubs in order: IAH, DEN, and ORD. But I'm not sure the risk difference is enough to connect in IAH and add 2 hours to your total itinerary vs DEN.
"All human activities are doomed to failure." - Jean Paul Sartre

zrs70

Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:35 am

YKF wrote:
Hi all,

I'm looking at flying from YYZ to LAX later this year and UA is by far the cheapest option.

For the trip to LAX, the flight I'm leaning towards includes a 1hr 6min connection in SFO.

However, on the return, there are 3 different connecting options that come out to around the same price: a 1hr connection in DEN; a 1hr connection in IAH; or a 3 hour connection in ORD.

Thanks!!

1. What class of service?
2. Paid or mileage ticket?
3. If paid, are you concerned about the amount of miles you earn?
4. If in coach, do you care about upgrades?

I ask all this because you might consider a UA codeshare with Air Canada, where you can lNd a nonstop flight
21 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2021

Cubsrule

Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:21 pm

zrs70 wrote:
YKF wrote:
Hi all,

Thanks!!

1. What class of service?
2. Paid or mileage ticket?
3. If paid, are you concerned about the amount of miles you earn?
4. If in coach, do you care about upgrades?

I ask all this because you might consider a UA codeshare with Air Canada, where you can lNd a nonstop flight

I haven't looked at the OP's proposed itinerary in depth, but AC is routinely hundreds of dollars more expensive than UA on transborder tickets. Heck, I recently flew F on UA for about $100 less than AC wanted for restricted Y.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

ricport

Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:23 pm

YKF wrote:
Hi all,

Thanks!!

No question my choice would be IAH. While DIA was billed as a virtually "weather-proof" airport when it was created, it has definitely not lived up to those outlandish promises. My personal experience is that any time I've been through DIA, I've been delayed. And, I avoid Chicago & NYC airports like the plague. Even a light mist - or, heck, dew on the runway - seems to cause backups & delays.

The only thing is that if you book via ORD & something happens, they might rebook you an an AC nonstop...provided there's space. These days, that's a pretty big roll of the dice.

YKF
Topic Author

Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:10 am

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I ended up booking the following:

UA 565 (YYZ-SFO)
UA 265 (SFO-LAX)

UA 1941 (LAX-DEN)
UA 2026 (DEN-YYZ)

LH658

Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:47 am

I say ORD one due to so many flights a day to YYZ. IAH would be my 2nd choice.