Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

FlyDestination
Topic Author

Foreign airports most likely to gain service to the US

Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:58 am

What non-US airports that currently don't have flights to the US are most likely to gain them? And to where?

texdravid

Re: Foreign airports most likely to gain service to the US

Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:19 am

BLR to SFO
Tort reform now. Throw lawyers in jail later.

3BNBE

Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:24 am

KUL to US West Coast maybe with AirAsia X

TheFlyingDisk

Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:39 am

3BNBE wrote:

KUL to US East Coast with AirAsia X - the rumour I've heard from a relative who's a worker bee in AirAsia.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

LH658

Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:42 am

ISB - JFK. Apparently the TSA recent visit gave a green light to PIA.

TheEuphorian

Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:13 am

BKK, but with TG having a disorganized fleet and management, it won't happen, yet.

Aceskywalker

Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:38 am

CEB to US West Coast. PR used to run it with their A343s.

blueflyer

Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:31 pm

CRL to MIA by Air Belgium.... maybe

Cunard

Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:22 pm

LH658 wrote:
ISB - JFK. Apparently the TSA recent visit gave a green light to PIA.

Do you have an actual source for that information or is it just wishful thinking on your part as nothing official has been stated regarding this!

The TSA may have recently visited Pakistan and in particular ISB but until there is an official statement made by both sides regarding this I'm skeptical that it will actually happen anytime soon.

The use of ''Apparently'' and ''Green Light'' sounds like something that you have personally made up yourself unless you have any further information to back up those words.
Last edited by Cunard on Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.

Cunard

Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:27 pm

blueflyer wrote:

Maybe....that's a huge maybe!

Now that is VERY wishful thinking on your part but I'm sorry to inform you, I just don't see that happening at all.
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.

PatrickZ80

Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:46 pm

Cunard wrote:
blueflyer wrote:

Now that is VERY wishful thinking on your part but I'm sorry to inform you, I just don't see that happening at all.

Neither do I, specially now that TUI Belgium recently pulled the plug on their Orlando/Miami flights from Brussels. If they can't fill a 787-8 from Brussels, then how are they supposed to fill an A340-300 (which is quite a bit bigger) out of Charleroi?

Looking at the busiest airports in Europe, the largest without service to the USA is Palma de Mallorca. However, what's the demand? Mallorca is hardly known to Americans, it's mostly Europeans going there on holiday. Still, there are a good number of airports smaller than Mallorca that do have service to the USA.

SCQ83

Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:55 pm

IMO some secondary cities in Spain might get TATL flights. Maybe with the A321XL and Vueling/LEVEL. Most likely candidates:

- SVQ. There was a rumour about UA starting EWR next summer but no confirmation.
- VLC. Already had flights to JFK on Delta a few years ago.
- BIO. However too dependant on local Spanish demand.
- Balearics: PMI or IBZ
- Canarias: TFN (most likely) or LPA

MIflyer12

Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:14 pm

texdravid wrote:
BLR to SFO

3BNBE wrote:

ULH flights demand ULH aircraft which are not small. I wouldn't bet on any country that lacks an FAA Category 1 rating, either.

IMHO the more likely airports are those within E75 range of MIA, DFW or LAX.

caliboy93

Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:28 pm

Nepal to Nebraska?!

Ishrion

Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:18 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
Cunard wrote:
blueflyer wrote:

Neither do I, specially now that TUI Belgium recently pulled the plug on their Orlando/Miami flights from Brussels. If they can't fill a 787-8 from Brussels, then how are they supposed to fill an A340-300 (which is quite a bit bigger) out of Charleroi?

Looking at the busiest airports in Europe, the largest without service to the USA is Palma de Mallorca. However, what's the demand? Mallorca is hardly known to Americans, it's mostly Europeans going there on holiday. Still, there are a good number of airports smaller than Mallorca that do have service to the USA.

Hey! Guess what? Air Belgium is planning MIA service, most likely from Charleroi! Looks like you don’t have to wishfully think :D

https://onemileatatime.com/air-belgium-french-antilles/

and the plan is now to operate to the following destinations:

Fort-de-France, Martinique
Pointe-a-Pitre, Guadeloupe
Kinshasa, Congo
Miami, Florida

PatrickZ80

Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:20 pm

Ishrion wrote:
Hey! Guess what? Air Belgium is planning MIA service, most likely from Charleroi! Looks like you don’t have to wishfully think :D

Planning doesn't have to mean it'll work. I can see them trying it for a while and then pulling out again, just like they did with all of their destinations so far.

Ishrion

Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:27 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

Planning doesn't have to mean it'll work. I can see them trying it for a while and then pulling out again, just like they did with all of their destinations so far.

Yup, don’t see it lasting long.

VZLA787

Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:11 pm

CCS

does CCS count? It had service for decades, but direct flights have been prohibited due to the situation in Venezuela. Those flights need to come back!

VZLA787

Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:12 pm

CCS

does CCS count? It had service for decades, but direct flights have been prohibited due to the situation in Venezuela. Those flights need to come back!

jmatheussylva

Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:35 pm

There is a local airline in Ecuador that has applied to serve MEC to FLL and JFK via UIO. I don't know if it counts since it's not non stop.

Sent from my SM-J600G using Tapatalk

upperdeckfan

Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:52 am

CCS, VLN, MAR, PMV, BLA will get flights to the US (mainly MIA) after the country gets back on the right track
764, 789, 732,733,735,737,738,739,
752, 722, 717,74M,DC10,DC9,M82,
M83, M87, M88,310,319,320,321,332,
333, 343, 346,359,388,L1011,CR2,
CR7, CR9,CRK, E175,E190,ATR42,
DSH8, CS1,CS3

blueflyer

Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:50 am

PatrickZ80 wrote:
Cunard wrote:
blueflyer wrote:

The only hope they have is if they do a better job of attracting traffic from MIA, and that's a relatively low bar. However the MIA customer base would be mostly VFRs and tourists on a budget, so odds of the service lasting more than a few months are still very low...

leftcoast8

Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:53 am

BLR and HYD to SEA, SJC, RDU, BOS, PIT, DEN and SLC. Currently I think it's kind of difficult/expensive get to Indian tech hubs despite SLC/Provo's booming tech industry; SLC also is not served by any global carriers (Cathay, Emirates, BA, etc.) that have connecting flights to Bengaluru or Hyd, at least to my knowledge.

While Xiamen and Sichuan already fly to the U.S. from Hangzhou and Shenzhen (XMN-SZX-SEA and CTU-HGH-LAX), I'd like to see nonstop HGH-SEA/SJC/SLC/DEN, and SZX-SJC/SLC/DEN. SZX-HGH-SJC, talk about a Nerd Bird!

DTWLAX

Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:27 am

leftcoast8 wrote:
BLR and HYD to SEA, SJC, RDU, BOS, PIT, DEN and SLC. Currently I think it's kind of difficult/expensive get to Indian tech hubs despite SLC/Provo's booming tech industry; SLC also is not served by any global carriers (Cathay, Emirates, BA, etc.) that have connecting flights to Bengaluru or Hyd, at least to my knowledge.

BLR to SFO may happen one day but definitely not to the cities you mention. And forget HYD.
Flights to India rely a lot on connection traffic outside of BOM and DEL. You are not going to get a lot of passengers connecting through BLR and HYD.
There is a reason global carriers are not lining up to serve SLC. There is no O&D demand.

Ishrion

Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:30 am

leftcoast8 wrote:

While Xiamen and Sichuan already fly to the U.S. from Hangzhou and Shenzhen (XMN-SZX-SEA and CTU-HGH-LAX), I'd like to see nonstop HGH-SEA/SJC/SLC/DEN, and SZX-SJC/SLC/DEN. SZX-HGH-SJC, talk about a Nerd Bird!

I thought Xiamen Air flies directly on XMN-LAX-XMN? https://flightaware.com/live/flight/CXA ... /KLAX/ZSAM

Hangzhou to San Jose, Salt Lake City, and Denver? Really?

United couldn't even make San Francisco to Hangzhou work...

Air China couldn't make Shanghai to San Jose work, even at 2-3x weekly.

hoons90

Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:47 am

In Korea... Seoul, Busan, Daegu and Cheongju already have service to the US, so maybe Muan could be next?

In Japan... Maybe UA can resume Okayama or Niigata?
Flown: 2L 7C 9E 9L AA AB AC AF AY AZ BA BR BX B6 CA CO CP CX DL EK EY JL KE KL LA LH LX MQ NW OZ PD RW SQ TG TP TR TS US WG WN WS XE XJ

Ishrion

Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:11 am

hoons90 wrote:
In Korea... Seoul, Busan, Daegu and Cheongju already have service to the US, so maybe Muan could be next?

What are you on about? Busan, Daegu, and Cheongju don’t have flights to the U.S...

eastafspot

Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:04 am

Kigali (KGL) or maybe the future New Bugesera Airport (NBIA) - Rwanda.
RwandAir plans to fly the route via Accra - Ghana.

Ishrion wrote:
hoons90 wrote:

What are you on about? Busan, Daegu, and Cheongju don’t have flights to the U.S...

Not really good at geography in that specific region, but isn't Guam part of the US?
Fly with Air Burundi, Air Tanzania, Golden Wings Aviation, Kenya Airways, RwandAir and Uganda Airlines...Jumuiya ya Afrika mashariki !

Ishrion

Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:44 pm

eastafspot wrote:
Kigali (KGL) or maybe the future New Bugesera Airport (NBIA) - Rwanda.
RwandAir plans to fly the route via Accra - Ghana.

Ishrion wrote:
hoons90 wrote:

Not really good at geography in that specific region, but isn't Guam part of the US?

That's an exception, but I assume everyone here's talking about mainland?....

hoons90

Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:29 pm

Ishrion wrote:
hoons90 wrote:

Pray tell, what country does Guam belong to?

Ishrion wrote:
[

Why assume? Where in this thread does it say the discussion is limited to the mainland only? Is Alaska and Hawaii also excluded?
I don't know why you're stepping up as the arbiter of the thread and deciding what the acceptable criteria are, considering that you didn't even start this thread.
Flown: 2L 7C 9E 9L AA AB AC AF AY AZ BA BR BX B6 CA CO CP CX DL EK EY JL KE KL LA LH LX MQ NW OZ PD RW SQ TG TP TR TS US WG WN WS XE XJ

Ishrion

Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:23 pm

hoons90 wrote:
Ishrion wrote:
hoons90 wrote:

Pray tell, what country does Guam belong to?

Ishrion wrote:
[

Why assume? Where in this thread does it say the discussion is limited to the mainland only? Is Alaska and Hawaii also excluded?
I don't know why you're stepping up as the arbiter of the thread and deciding what the acceptable criteria are, considering that you didn't even start this thread.

Then I guess I’ll say Anchorage will gain service to Tokyo, Harbin, and Beijing.