Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LH658
Topic Author

Doha recommendations

Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:47 am

Have a upcoming trip to Doha, I saw they have Nusret Steakhouse. Is it really that good or worth it? What is the best hotel recommendation in Doha from the Marriott chain?

Fuling

Re: Doha recommendations

Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:09 am

I haven't been to Doha but don't bother with Nusret, it's fame only covers up the terrible food.

LH658
Topic Author

Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:36 am

Fuling wrote:
I haven't been to Doha but don't bother with Nusret, it's fame only covers up the terrible food.

In which did you visit the restaurant?

Fuling

Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:35 am

LH658 wrote:
Fuling wrote:

The original in Istanbul, and also Dubai and Abu Dhabi. I only went because my manager at the time loved taking our clients there.

LH658
Topic Author

Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:30 pm

Fuling wrote:
LH658 wrote:
Fuling wrote:

The original in Istanbul, and also Dubai and Abu Dhabi. I only went because my manager at the time loved taking our clients there.

Any restaurant in Doha you recommend?

B777LRF

Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:21 pm

LH658 wrote:
Any restaurant in Doha you recommend?

There's an excellent Iranian in the old Soukh, can't recall the name. The JW Steakhouse, if you'r so inclined, at the Doha Marriott also worth a visit. And if I'm not mistaken, that's the only Marriott in town. It's perfectly ok, I lived there for periods of up to three weeks at a time for the better part of 6 months. The friday brunch is excellent, and there are 4 or 5 restaurants and a nightclub on site.

Added benefit: You get to see all of the helicopter departures from the old airport, servicing the gas fields in the gulf, as well as the odd fighter jet taking off.

Otherwise I'd say go for a place at the Pearl.

Coal

Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:45 am

LH658 wrote:
Have a upcoming trip to Doha, I saw they have Nusret Steakhouse. Is it really that good or worth it? What is the best hotel recommendation in Doha from the Marriott chain?

St Regis in West Bay is very nice. Visited during ramadan, so it was quiet. Excellent service.

LH658
Topic Author

Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:58 am

Coal wrote:
LH658 wrote:

St Regis in West Bay is very nice. Visited during ramadan, so it was quiet. Excellent service.

I have a day trip, was thinking the W Doha. Last time I stayed at the Marriott, and it was eh, but service was great.

samsmithz

Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:57 am

According to a recommendation that I got on the app Escape from Apknite, we did a half-day dune ride and could ride camels also which was fun. Personally, I would go to Souq Waqif or Katara. If you go to Souq make sure you go to the Islamic museum: it’s spectacular!

FriscoHeavy

Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:54 pm

LH658 wrote:
Coal wrote:
LH658 wrote:

I have a day trip, was thinking the W Doha. Last time I stayed at the Marriott, and it was eh, but service was great.

Did you stay at a Regular Doha Marriott or the JW Marriott? The JW Marriott is new and is always a big step above a normal Marriott.

We are staying at the JW Marriott for one night in February during a stopover on our way to Cape Town.

LH658
Topic Author

Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:02 pm

FriscoHeavy wrote:
LH658 wrote:
Coal wrote:

Did you stay at a Regular Doha Marriott or the JW Marriott? The JW Marriott is new and is always a big step above a normal Marriott.

We are staying at the JW Marriott for one night in February during a stopover on our way to Cape Town.

Normal Marriott, not the JW.

Qatara340

Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:31 pm

LH658 wrote:

First of all welcome to Doha.

I do love Nusret; one of my favorite restaurants-- the one hear is much better than in Dubai.

From the Marriott chain, we do have the: Marriott Doha, Marriott Marquis City Center, JW Marriott Doha, St. Regis, W, and Sheraton Grand. All of them are 5 star. The St. Regis has a nice beach if you are into water sports; and W is very hip and lively. The JW Marriott is new, used to be the Shangrila and switched overnight to JW Marriott three months ago.

You can certain try dune-bashing; unforgettable experience, especially during winter. You must visit Souq Wakif, the traditional market, the new Qatar National Museum (amazing), Islamic Museum, Katara (many restaurants), and perhaps visit the many malls Doha Festival City is one of the largest malls in Doha.

BravoOne

Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:04 pm

Marriot Doha was excellent the last time I stayed there but I have not tried the newer ones. The staff was certainly 5 Star. In fact I wrote the GM and personal thank you note regarding his staff and their service. Stayed there for 35 days in a row.

fbgdavidson

Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:46 pm

B777LRF wrote:
There's an excellent Iranian in the old Soukh, can't recall the name.

Parisa?

I went to the one in the Sharq Village & Spa as I was staying there a couple of months back. Am no aficionado when it comes to Iranian food but I thought it was excellent, as did the wife.

LH658
Topic Author

Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:24 am

Qatara340 wrote:
LH658 wrote:

First of all welcome to Doha.

I do love Nusret; one of my favorite restaurants-- the one hear is much better than in Dubai.

From the Marriott chain, we do have the: Marriott Doha, Marriott Marquis City Center, JW Marriott Doha, St. Regis, W, and Sheraton Grand. All of them are 5 star. The St. Regis has a nice beach if you are into water sports; and W is very hip and lively. The JW Marriott is new, used to be the Shangrila and switched overnight to JW Marriott three months ago.

You can certain try dune-bashing; unforgettable experience, especially during winter. You must visit Souq Wakif, the traditional market, the new Qatar National Museum (amazing), Islamic Museum, Katara (many restaurants), and perhaps visit the many malls Doha Festival City is one of the largest malls in Doha.

Is American Express widely accepted at these higher end hotels, and restaurants in Doha?