Mike89406
Topic Author

Europe/Scandanavia trip suggestions

Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:17 am

So here's the deal I'm flying non-rev in the fall The last 2 yrs I've traveled to Helsinki twice, Estonia, and Iceland in that time. I'm considering flying into TXL spend a day or two in Berlin and train over to Prague and/or train to Budapest

I'm on a budget so I will probably Hostel or airBnb it so the above is what idea that I have in mind for now. That being the case The above mentioned idea is just one idea I'm looking for ideas from others about inexpensive fun trips to 1 or 2 places in a week or less, some fun nightlife, fun vibe and friendly people etc..

Regards,
Mike

Mike89406
Topic Author

Re: Europe/Scandanavia trip suggestions

Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:56 am

Forgot to mention that Visa free countries are what I'm looking at.

vhqpa

Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:03 am

Germany, Czechia and Hungary are all part of the Schengen area. Whether or not you need a visa depends on your nationality which you didn't specify.
"There you go ladies and gentleman we're through Mach 1 the speed of sound no bumps no bangs... CONCORDE"

Mike89406
Topic Author

Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:42 am

American, and yes those countries should be no problem. But Russia and a few others I do need a Visa.

fessor

Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:53 am

I would take a combination on Sweden and Denmark or Vienna, Prague and Budapest.

debonair

Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:12 pm

It's getting cold in fall, Berlin is an excellent start point! But for outstanding night-life and much better weather I would visit Barcelona - flights and hostels are cheap too! Thanks to the competition of LCC carriers like U2, FR or VY from TXL or SXF you will find easily a flight down south.

lesfalls

Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:43 pm

Sichuan's new CPH-HEL could be a nice ride
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen mehr.

Insertnamehere

Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:28 pm

Estonia is a pretty little place (while its not Scandinavia). It's also really cheap there but the old parts of Tallinn is quite pretty. You can fly there but honestly I preferred the ferry from Helsinki.

PatrickZ80

Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:19 pm

If you're on a budget, forget Scandinavia. Yes, I know it's beautiful but it's also very very very expensive. Germany is also expensive, although not as expensive as Scandinavia.

For cheapness in Europe, look at Eastern Europe. You've already mentioned Prague and Budapest, those are good suggestions. Both are beautiful yet very affordable cities. Other recommendations are Riga, Vilnius, Gdansk, Krakow, Bratislava, etc. One by one they're fabulous places full of culture and history, however far cheaper than their Western European counterparts like Stockholm, Copenhagen, Berlin, Munich, Vienna, etc. Those are also beautiful cities, but far more expensive.

Jutlander

Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:59 pm

In the off-season Southern Europe is also cheap. Go to Lisbon, Valencia or Athens. But don't go there in the high season (summer), you pay the head price. That goes for everywhere within Europe by the way, but specially around the Mediterranean. In the summer, just about all of Northern Europe goes on a beach holiday and it is packed to the brim. You can imagine what that does to the prices.

As an American, you can travel anywhere within the EU visa-free.

fallap

Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:40 am

If you are going to Scandinavia then don't bother with Sweden and Norway, just spend your time in Denmark instead! ;)
Ex grease monkey buried head to toe inside an F-16M
Now studying Political Science

Insertnamehere

Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:02 pm

Jutlander wrote:
In the off-season Southern Europe is also cheap. Go to Lisbon, Valencia or Athens. But don't go there in the high season (summer), you pay the head price. That goes for everywhere within Europe by the way, but specially around the Mediterranean. In the summer, just about all of Northern Europe goes on a beach holiday and it is packed to the brim. You can imagine what that does to the prices.

As an American, you can travel anywhere within the EU visa-free.

Has Athens gotten better? I went there in 2016 and honestly its not a very nice city. Sure there are some nice parts but honestly most of the city was pretty crap IMO.

SCQ83

Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:19 pm

Ryanair and Wizzair have plenty of cheap flights out of TXL/SXF (easyJet being a bit more expensive). The Berlin market is very overserved so you can find cheap 10 EUR tickets to many destinations with a bit of flexibility. Likely cheaper than a train to Prague/Budapest.

I would look into it. You could find flights to cheap destinations like Morocco, Ukraine, Moldova, Georgia...

PatrickZ80

Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:34 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
I would look into it. You could find flights to cheap destinations like Morocco, Ukraine, Moldova, Georgia...

However keep in mind that these countries aren't part of the EU and might therefor require a visa.

Eindhoven

Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:46 pm

You should visit Poland, a surprisingly beautiful country. I have been to GDN, WAW, KRK and lately WRO and all of them are very beautiful. KRK is a world heritage site by Unesco.

BusiG

Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:24 pm

Mike89406 wrote:
some fun nightlife, fun vibe and friendly people etc..

Then you're looking at the wrong corner of Europe, the big clubs and fun vibe are mostly in Spain. Ibiza is famous as a party island, but if you go in the fall that'll be the end of the season. Then maybe you'd better go to the Canary Islands. I recommend Playa del Ingles on Gran Canaria. Still great weather for going to the beach on the days and partying in the clubs at night.

PS I checked your profile and it seems you haven't been online since you posted your question. That doesn't show like you're much interested in the answers you're getting. If I post a question, I'd be checking for answers non-stop.

Mike89406
Topic Author

Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:18 am

Some great suggestions so far thanks everyone. Working for an airline and researching different flights/airlines for this trip pretty much keeps me busy. I’ve been reading the posts and getting ideas as I go.

My plan is to non-rev from San Diego on WN to the east coast and stop in NYC or PHL and spend the day/night.
From there I have a lot of choices between EWR/JFK to jump across the pond on a number of airlines but I prefer direct flights as I have used AY/FI the last two years.

For example;1st time was JFK-HEL for a holiday stay in the hostel shop at the market for meals but keep eating out to a minimum meet people and pub crawl. Last year I went to Helsinki took the ferry over to Tallinn, Estonia “which I highly recommend” did the city walking tour, stay in Helsinki see the city, and club the last night and off to Iceland where I saw the northern lights and airBnb then back home.

Pretty much the same idea this time just different place. Looking at flying into TXL, VIE, or PRG.

I noticed that Vienna, Bratislava, Prague, Budapest are close proximity from each other maybe I can travel to each one or some of them anyways I just want to not be so touristy while seeing the cities and meeting new people while there.

I realize that it’s after busy season which is fine as I like to mingle with the locals if that makes sense.

Mike

PatrickZ80

Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:06 pm

Mike89406 wrote:
Pretty much the same idea this time just different place. Looking at flying into TXL, VIE, or PRG.

That's great of course, but don't focus too much on flying to these cities from the USA. Flying within Europe is very cheap due to the many Ryanair / Wizzair / EasyJet flights, so maybe you can find another cheap entry point into Europe and fly to this area from there. Airports that are known as cheap entry points into Europe are for example Dublin, Barcelona and Copenhagen.

Suppose you can find a cheap flight from the USA to Dublin. You actually planned to go to Prague, but it might be cheaper to fly to Dublin instead, explore that city and then fly Ryanair Dublin to Prague. On the way back to the USA, you find a cheap flight from Barcelona to the USA. But you are in Budapest. Nevermind, both Ryanair, Wizzair and Vueling fly Budapest to Barcelona and those airlines cost almost nothing. Then you can explore Barcelona and take your flight back to the USA from there for cheaper than you could have flown to the USA from Budapest.

PatrickZ80

Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:11 am

I've been searching a bit and this is an example of a trip you could make:

Date Airline Flight Number Depart Arrive Fare
6-10-2019 Southwest WN4518 San Diego Oakland Non-rev
6-10-2019 Norwegian DY7076 Oakland Barcelona € 149,90
9-10-2019 LaudaMotion OE1323 Barcelona Vienna € 24,99
11-10-2019 Wizzair W61344 Vienna Warsaw € 14,99
13-10-2019 Wizzair W61501 Warsaw Stockholm (Skavsta) € 14,79
15-10-2019 Wizzair W61734 Stockholm (Skavsta) Gdansk € 11,08
17-10-2019 Wizzair W61671 Gdansk Cologne-Bonn € 14,79
19-10-2019 Ryanair FR2508 Cologne-Bonn Barcelona € 56,01
21-10-2019 Norwegian DY7075 Barcelona Oakland € 149,90
21-10-2019 Southwest WN5470 Oakland San Diego Non-rev
Total: € 436,45

These are airfares only and don't include additional extras such as luggage. Also cost of hostels aren't included. I've made sure you've got one full day in each city, followed by one travel day.

Jutlander

Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:10 pm

Have you made a decision yet? Would be nice to know.

L410Turbolet

Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:41 pm

Barcelona doesn't want tourists, why spend money somewhere you are not welcome?

PatrickZ80

Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:38 pm

L410Turbolet wrote:
Barcelona doesn't want tourists, why spend money somewhere you are not welcome?

Maybe because it's where the cheapest flight to Europe happens to go.

By the way, Barcelona does want tourists, just not too many and they don't want them to behave too crazy. But tourism is a huge source of income for many people in Barcelona and it contributes to the local economy, I doubt the city can go entirely without tourism. That goes for many cities in Europe by the way.

Being from San Diego (as the TS is), you have the benefit that you probably speak Spanish. Even though the Mexican Spanish that is spoken in San Diego is different from the Spanish spoken in Spain (let alone Catalan which is a language by itself), you'll be able to understand them and hold a conversation. They'll immediately hear that you're a foreigner, but as long as you're polite that doesn't have to be a problem.

In countries like Poland the language barrier will be bigger, mostly with the elder people. The younger generation can speak English of course, but the elders more often than not can't. They only speak their local language.

Thunderboltdrgn

Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:03 pm

Scandinavia/Stockholm can be very expensive but with the right planing you should be able to get away without it being too expensive.
You won't need a visa, nor local currency (credit card is accepted pretty much everywhere). Most of the population speaks English so
you will have no problem making yourselves understood. Have in mind though that the weather in Scandinavia can be very bad in
the fall (September can be quite nice though), especially in October and November.
Like a thunderbolt of lightning the Dragon roars across the sky. Il Drago Ruggente

L410Turbolet

Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:57 pm

Mike89406 wrote:
I realize that it’s after busy season which is fine as I like to mingle with the locals if that makes sense.
Mike

It doesn't make sense with Prague. Locals do not live in Prague 1 (which is the historical center) anymore, it's pure tourist ghetto... I don't mean to discourage you, but please keep also in mind the weather can be crappy in October and if you still insist on Prague, please check out Honest Guide on YouTube: https://youtu.be/4a1VXNmJ_1g to avoid tourist traps and scams.
Also, I definitely would not do 7 or 8 cities in 12 days, jumping all over Europe, because you won't do anything but going to or from the airport.