Cadet985
Topic Author

Trip to AMS

Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:32 pm

Greetings all —

For my birthday this year, a friend and I are going to AMS. I’ve never been to AMS, or to Europe.

Obviously, I’m planning on doing some spotting; our hotel is just off 18L, and someone had told me there’s a special area for spotting at the airport? We’re flying in separately...I’m flying KLM (had to make sure I get in a flight on a 744 before they’re all gone from passenger service).

I’ve got a couple guidebooks, but I was wondering if anyone has suggestions on activities, sights, advice, etc.

The trip is the end of September.

I’d be most appreciative of any tips, advice, suggestions, etc.

Thank-you,

Marc

Flanker7

Re: Trip to AMS

Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:07 pm

How long are you over for and what are your interests other then aviation? Might help making suggestion.
Flying blue only if possible

Cadet985
Topic Author

Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:36 pm

I’ll be there a week, and about the only thing that doesn’t appeal to me is the clubbing scene.

Marc

PatrickZ80

Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:18 pm

Indeed there is a special area for spotting at the airport, but it's nowhere near your hotel. If your hotel is just off 18L then I assume it's the Corendon Village Hotel Amsterdam or otherwise the Ramada Amsterdam Airport. The spotting area however faces runway 18R/36L near Vijfhuizen. It's difficult to get to the spotting area on public transport and too far to walk, you need either a bicycle or a car.

Furthermore there's plenty to do in and around Amsterdam. I would recommend to travel around, take the train and visit some other towns such as Haarlem, Leiden, Gouda or Delft. They're not as touristic as Amsterdam, but equally beautiful. Also if you're interested, the race circuit of Zandvoort is very near Amsterdam Airport. Next year for the first time in 35 years there'll be a Formula 1 race at Zandvoort, but it's also often used for other races.

As an aviation enthusiast you might want to visit the Aviodrome aircraft museum in Lelystad. This is the home of the only still airworthy DC-2 in the world.

Cadet985
Topic Author

Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:48 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
Indeed there is a special area for spotting at the airport, but it's nowhere near your hotel. If your hotel is just off 18L then I assume it's the Corendon Village Hotel Amsterdam or otherwise the Ramada Amsterdam Airport. The spotting area however faces runway 18R/36L near Vijfhuizen. It's difficult to get to the spotting area on public transport and too far to walk, you need either a bicycle or a car.

Furthermore there's plenty to do in and around Amsterdam. I would recommend to travel around, take the train and visit some other towns such as Haarlem, Leiden, Gouda or Delft. They're not as touristic as Amsterdam, but equally beautiful. Also if you're interested, the race circuit of Zandvoort is very near Amsterdam Airport. Next year for the first time in 35 years there'll be a Formula 1 race at Zandvoort, but it's also often used for other races.

As an aviation enthusiast you might want to visit the Aviodrome aircraft museum in Lelystad. This is the home of the only still airworthy DC-2 in the world.

Yup. Corendon Village Hotel Amsterdam. Didn’t realize how close it was to the airport when it was booked, or that they have a 747 on display.

I definitely want to check out Haarlem. And I’ve read that residents of the area sometimes find tourists annoying, so I’m going to be the best tourist I can.

MartijnNL

Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:36 pm

Too bad the panorama terrace of Amsterdam Airport is closed due to ongoing construction works.

Take a train to Enkhuizen, a ferry to Stavoren and explore the nordic province of Fryslân, including maybe a day (or two) on Terschelling or one of the other Frisian islands.

Cadet985
Topic Author

Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:21 pm

MartijnNL wrote:
Too bad the panorama terrace of Amsterdam Airport is closed due to ongoing construction works.

Take a train to Enkhuizen, a ferry to Stavoren and explore the nordic province of Fryslân, including maybe a day (or two) on Terschelling or one of the other Frisian islands.

Shucks! I guess it probably won’t be open by the end of September? Are there any other spotting locations you can suggest?

Thank-you in advance.

Marc

MartijnNL

Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:51 pm

In spring the airport authorities promised to reopen the terrace in July. Recently they postponed it to December, blaming unexpected construction difficulties.

For spotting purposes I would recommend to stay airside after arrival. Amsterdam Airport only has two 'official' spotting locations at the moment and both are pretty bad if you ask me.

The one near McDonald's is facing against the sun all day. And runway 27 which it looks out over is one of the lesser used runways of Schiphol.

The bigger spotting location at runway 36L only has good lighting conditions in the afternoon, after most of the interesting traffic has already departed. You need a car or bicycle to reach this spot.

Too bad airport authorities closed the official spotting location at runway 24 a number of years ago. It was one of the best spotting locations of Europe. People came from Germany by car for a day of spotting here.

Every now and then I book a room for one, two or three nights at the CitizenM hotel. The 'north' rooms offer nice planespotting opportunities. I have logged 500 different aircraft in one weekend from the comfort of my room.

You can also walk to a nearby taxiway, which passes over a road and a highway. Quite a few aircraft going to or from the runways pass by here.

petertenthije

Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:15 pm

There are two official spotters areas.
One to the west of the polderbaan. You need a car or bike to get there. Views are OK in the (late) afternoon, but in the morning you'll be facing the sun. The eastern side is much preferable, but you can't approach it by car. You'll need to park at Boesingheliede and walk the remaining 2 KM.
The other official spotters side is the MacDonalds overlooking the Buitenveldertbaan (09/27). This runway is not used often due to noice mitigation. Besides, it faces the sun. If this runway is in use you are better of at Schiphol Oost, near the police air wing. There you will have the sun in your back.

In addition to the official spots, there are countless unofficial spots. Basically, you can get into the final approaches to pretty much every runway. In particular if you do not have a car because parking can be limited to non-existant at some runways. The distances between runways can be a disadvantage for bicycles though. If ATC change the runway usage, you could easily have to bike half an hour to get to the next runway.
Attamottamotta!

Flanker7

Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:01 am

I would recommend the Rijksmuseum and a visit to the Heineken brewery. You could do a walking tour thru the Jordaan and visit the many historical courtyards, guite interesting. Be aware, Amsterdam is quite busy these days so lines at museums can be quite long so booking in advance is s good option. You can rent a bicycle and explore the city that way but keep an good eye on traffic and like me your fellow cyclists. Utrecht is a good option, got a great train museum if your in to that.

Cadet985
Topic Author

Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:20 pm

Flanker7 wrote:
I would recommend the Rijksmuseum and a visit to the Heineken brewery. You could do a walking tour thru the Jordaan and visit the many historical courtyards, guite interesting. Be aware, Amsterdam is quite busy these days so lines at museums can be quite long so booking in advance is s good option. You can rent a bicycle and explore the city that way but keep an good eye on traffic and like me your fellow cyclists. Utrecht is a good option, got a great train museum if your in to that.

Unfortunately, due to a neurological issue, I’m unable to ride a bike, so it will be waking, trams/buses, Uber, etc.

I’ve read about how busy Amsterdam is, and how some locals have come to resent tourists. While I do plan on doing “tourist” activities, I’m not going to be the kind of tourist that causes any problems.

I’m looking at the iAmsterdam card, trying to decide whether or not it’s worth it.

Marc

Flanker7

Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:24 pm

It's worth it and public transportation is a good alternative. Not all of us resent tourists don't worry about that. If some of the tourist things are of interest then hop on a canal boat and see the city from the water. There are various companies who provide these tours. You can buy daypasses for the public transportation system,that is a good way to go. As Amsterdam is quite compact walking is a good option as well. If you need to find out more feel free to send me a PM.

Cadet985
Topic Author

Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:12 am

Flanker7 wrote:
It's worth it and public transportation is a good alternative. Not all of us resent tourists don't worry about that. If some of the tourist things are of interest then hop on a canal boat and see the city from the water. There are various companies who provide these tours. You can buy daypasses for the public transportation system,that is a good way to go. As Amsterdam is quite compact walking is a good option as well. If you need to find out more feel free to send me a PM.

I will definitely be in contact with you as I do more planning on the trip!

Marc

johns624

Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:29 pm

Take one of the hop-on-hop-off boats. It goes more places than the buses. We did a tour through "Those Dam Boat Guys" and it was fun and entertaining. Watch out for cyclists when crossing the street. Half of them are staring at their smart phones while pedaling. I thought that Copenhagen had a lot of cyclists until I got to Amsterdam...

Cadet985
Topic Author

Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:36 pm

Are there any good stores in the Amsterdam area that specialize in model planes?

PatrickZ80

Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:46 pm

Cadet985 wrote:
Are there any good stores in the Amsterdam area that specialize in model planes?

There certainly are. I recommend the Aviation Megastore, which is located in Aalsmeerderbrug. That's very near Amsterdam Airport and there is a regular bus service from the airport that stops within walking distance from the store.

https://www.aviationmegastore.com/

Cadet985
Topic Author

Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:50 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
Cadet985 wrote:

There certainly are. I recommend the Aviation Megastore, which is located in Aalsmeerderbrug. That's very near Amsterdam Airport and there is a regular bus service from the airport that stops within walking distance from the store.

WOW!!! I see they have a 737 simulator as well.

Have you ever been there or on their simulator?

PatrickZ80

Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:53 pm

Cadet985 wrote:
PatrickZ80 wrote:
Cadet985 wrote:

I have been in the store several times, but never in the simulator. Nonetheless, it's a great store.

Cadet985
Topic Author

Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:19 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
Cadet985 wrote:
PatrickZ80 wrote:

I have been in the store several times, but never in the simulator. Nonetheless, it's a great store.

It’s funny you mention that store. I’ve been looking for a very particular Skymarks model (Aeromexico Quetzalcoatl livery) for a long time, and not long ago — literally minutes ago — I looked for it, and that store came up.

Marc

Chemist

Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:57 pm

The Anne Frank house is sobering but well worth a visit. It's one thing to have read the book, and quite another to be IN THE SAME SPACE where she wrote her diary.
Take a city tour via canal boat.
Walk around and enjoy the shops.
Plenty of places you can go via train. Even Paris if you want to take the time and spend the money.
You really need to walk the Red Light District at night, it's quite an eye-opener for those of us from the states. My wife was fascinated.

BasilFawlty

Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:25 pm

Cadet985 wrote:
I definitely want to check out Haarlem. And I’ve read that residents of the area sometimes find tourists annoying, so I’m going to be the best tourist I can.

I live in the historic centre of Haarlem and in general I don’t mind tourists. With your attitude of behaving properly you should be fine. I can highly recommend Haarlem, as everything what might be interesting for tourists is within walking distance from the train station. The station itself is already one of the most beautiful and oldest ones in the country by the way. :spin:
'Every year donkeys and mules kill more people than plane crashes'

FlyRow

Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:20 pm

Same attitude here yowards tourist in Delft (visite, It's little Amsterdam).

But we dont get the drunk and stoned (british) tourist here.
F70-F100-RJ85-RJ70-E190-319-320-321-733-734-735-737-738-752-753-763-764-772-744-380

Cadet985
Topic Author

Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:13 am

Due to circumstances beyond my control, my trip must be canceled.

To say I am incredibly depressed would be the biggest understatement of the year, and for reasons that don’t belong on an aviation forum.

Marc

Flanker7

Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:30 am

Cadet985 wrote:
Due to circumstances beyond my control, my trip must be canceled.

To say I am incredibly depressed would be the biggest understatement of the year, and for reasons that don’t belong on an aviation forum.

Marc

Bummer but there is always a next time