Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Will Tunisair launch flights from Tunis to New York JFK in the near future?

Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:57 pm

Do you think that Tunisair will launch flights from Tunis to New York JFK in the near future considering that they already have flights from Tunis to Montreal. A non stop Tunis to New York flight would help increase the number of Americans visiting Tunisia and better serve Tunisian Americans.

ahj2000

Re: Will Tunisair launch flights from Tunis to New York JFK in the near future?

Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:56 am

I doubt it. There are something like 6 or 7 times more people of Tunisian descent in Canada than in the US, with most of those being centered in Québec, mostly in the Montréal area. The American population isn't in one center, and is spread throughout the country.
If Canada's much greater population can ony take 4 weekly flights, then America won't get any anytime soon. AF/AT/LH will keep these passengers for now.
-Andrés Juánez

caliboy93

Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:36 am

I think it is possible, even with few Tunisians in NYC, it's such an important and well known city in all areas

B777LRF

Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:49 am

There's no VFR traffic to speak of, which is what sustains the service to YUL. Neither is there any significant number of US visitors going on vacation to Tunisia, and if they did it would be to Monastir rather than Tunis. The reason for the lack of tourism, not just from the US but indeed the traditional market of Europe, is the political tensions in the country following the Arab Spring, including a high risk of terrorism.

Chances are therefore somewhere between slim and none, regardless of how "well known" New York is.
Signature. You just read one.

bhxalex

Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:35 am

Air Algerie would serve ALG-JFK long before a TUN-JFK. The lack of JFK service to nearby Algiers, a bigger city than Tunis by every metric, shows the lack of non stop demand to that region.

AF, LH & AT and a smattering of other carriers have this market sewn up via their respective hubs.
Last edited by bhxalex on Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

cedarjet

Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:36 am

No way. There is no traffic between NY and Tunisia.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

continental004

Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:46 am

Not happening, there is no market to speak of.

euroflyer

Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:31 am

I don't see it happening. Not enough demand, and most of all, security level quite low in some areas. Not to forget that Tunisia doesn't have a premium hotel industry (they mainly target low budget european tourists). For example, Morocco is a much more suitable country, and already sustains many North American destinations to/from CMN.
Born to fly !

CHRISBA35X

Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:45 am

I don't see why a JFK or YUL route a couple of times a week wouldn't work. They have an old but capable and fully paid off A332 with quite a big Y section that could do it no problem and very cheaply.

I would imagine there would be quite low yields but it reckon it would do pretty well with bellyhold cargo. Stick an AA/AC codeshare on it and it might do ok. They haven't done it before now which suggests I might be wrong but you never know. I guess part of the reason would be the security issue and political instability in the region but with ISIS more or less kicked out of North Africa by now perhaps the time is coming soon where such a route might make sense.

Guess we'll find out.

alan3

Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:40 pm

With YUL-ALG, YUL-TUN and double YUL-CMN, Montreal has become the main gateway for North Africa (this is in addition to AMM, IST and TLV). Not sure TUN is big enough for a second route.

The main routes I'm surprised to see missing are YUL to CAI and YUL to somewhere in French West Africa.

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:24 pm

alan3 wrote:
With YUL-ALG, YUL-TUN and double YUL-CMN, Montreal has become the main gateway for North Africa (this is in addition to AMM, IST and TLV). Not sure TUN is big enough for a second route.

The main routes I'm surprised to see missing are YUL to CAI and YUL to somewhere in French West Africa.

EgyptAir operated flights from Cairo to Montreal in the 1990's and has operated Cairo to Toronto since 2013.

Touch2Blue

Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:15 pm

Yes i think that a non-stop route from Tunis to New York and why not other destinations like Dulles or LAX will be very successful.

TUN-JFK link was normally planned for 2019... I don't know where lie the problems, normally the US authorities support any form of cooperation.

By the way Tunisia has historically a very friendly relation with the United States;

#1 The first country who has singed the independence of the United States was Tunisia.
#2 The first president of the Republic of Tunisia Habib Bourguiba was a good personal friend of John f. Kennedy.
#3 Tunisia host many memorial sites of US soldiers fall in african campaign.

Between the number of US Americans is 15 308 most of them very high qualified. They liv manly in New York and California.

Tunisia has a big potential to attract many americans.

*Tunisia is Africa's northerst point and Africa's northerst city lie in Tunisia.
*Very diverse Landscapes and from natural disasters safer than neighboring Algeria or Italy.
*Tunisia host the second importest museum in Africa after Cairo and many other important historical sites... Carthage was the second biggest city of the western roman empire.
*Tunisia has attracted very high number of important european painters.
*Tunisia's tourism industry is older than in Morocco or Turkey. Tunisia was in the 70's a very luxury destination.

Between Lady Marylin Monroe stylist was tunisian. ;-)

I lived in Tunis and i know that the people there are very open minded if you compare them with other north african nations. The risk of terrorism in Tunisia is the same like in France or Germany.

YYZORD

Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:48 pm

Is there a reason why NY pax can't connect through YUL from LGA or EWR on AC? The connections are easy and US preclearance helps too.

TS-IOR

Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:03 am

First Tunisian airports are not IASA Category 1. It's not Category 2 either. In fact no assessment so far, so no link possible between any US and Tunisian point. Not even on code-share or interline. And also there is no bilateral agreement to define traffic rights. So forget about this fantasy for now.