acavpics
Topic Author

Do you have a trip cancellation horror story?

Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:35 am

My family and I were supposed to go to Spain for 10 days this month, but recently my grandmother fell ill and this escalated into an issue thay gave us no option but to cancel our tickets. While I'm glad my grandmother is doing better now, I'm still heartbroken! We had spend MONTHS preparing for this trip. It would have been my first time to Europe, flying IB, and ... flying on an A380 (on BA). There is this haunting feeling in the back of my head that any future trip that I plan could just blow up in my face like this becuase of something that I had no control over

Anyone else go through a tragic last minute cancellation before?

I'm just so pissed off and sad. :mad: :frown: :cry: :cry:

PatrickZ80

Re: Do you have a trip cancellation horror story?

Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:32 am

That's a pity for you, but such things can happen. I can only hope you had a good insurance so you can at least get the money back you spent on the bookings. With that refunded money, you can book that trip for some other time.

While not entirely a cancellation, not too long ago my cousin had to break off his holiday in Portugal when our grandfather passed away. Despite knowing he was sick, my cousin still decided to fly out. He had planned a trip, first to Lisbon, then on to Porto and from Porto back home. The visit to Lisbon went well, but just as he was about to fly to Porto the condition of our grandfather went from bad to worse. Still he boarded that flight to Porto.

As he arrived in Porto, he immediately started looking for options to come home early. He was able to reschedule his flight home to the next day, but unfortunately it was still too late. That evening, grandfather passed away. My cousin never had the chance to say goodbye, never had the chance to visit him while he was still alive. Only he was back in time for the funeral.

UALFAson

Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:08 pm

With all due respect, I don't know that I would call this a "horror" story. Disappointing, sure; frustrating? Probably. To me, a horror story is something like 9/11 in the U.S. with passengers being murdered and flights cancelled and diverted and people not knowing about their loved ones' safety, especially since this happened before cell phones became ubiquitous.

As PatrickZ80 said, unfortunately, this is life. I'm guessing that you're younger in age; let me tell you that as you get older, you're going to have more of these life moments--sick parents, sick spouse, sick kids, last-minute work emergencies, etc. I certainly wouldn't stop traveling just because a future journey could "blow up in [your] face" (geez, dramatic much?!) I am glad your grandmother is doing better and hope you are able to reschedule your vacation. Please try to keep this in perspective.
"We hope you've enjoyed flying with us as much as we've enjoyed taking you for a ride."

zrs70

Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:09 pm

I had tickets for the Concorde in 1999. Took many, man6 hours to put together the logistics.

Three days before departure, my boss had an accident, and I was needed to cover. We cancelled trip.

That really stung.

But life continues, and I was able to get three concord trips in (all on miles) before she was retired.
19 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2019

ShanghaiNoon

Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:52 pm

In 2015, I had a flight booked on MU from YVR to PVG. I had to change the date to two weeks later due to a family emergency.

I called MU, but they told me they couldn't help me because I had purchased the ticket from a travel agent (think Captain Cool, but slightly more legitimate).

I called the travel agency. They wouldn't answer.

I called MU back and explained it to them. After some pleading they agreed to help. This was all further complicated because, as I learned from the phone call, the dodgy travel agent had purchased an itinerary with a hidden city to save money.

directorguy

Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:04 am

In December 2018 I had plans to travel with my family to Europe-specifically Paris, Strasbourg, and Amsterdam. Most people will remember the yellow vests movement was gaining momentum around then, and travel to Paris didn't seem like a bright idea.
A week or so before travel my mother tripped and injured her foot. Luckily nothing was broken but she needed a few weeks to heal. I had to cancel tickets (an award ticket in J) and hotels (I always book refundable though).
We decided to do the trip on 18-24 December (versus the original 9-18 December) and decided to simplify the trip and stick to just Strasbourg and Amsterdam, 3 days each, right before Xmas. Of course no way was I able to get award J for all sectors
As luck would have it, on one of the days we were supposed to be in Strasbourg in early December, the terrorist attack happened. I was so glad that we were not there. Strasbourg is a small city and for sure we would have been caught up in the panic-or worse. Although I was of course disappointed we had to postpone (even for just 10 days), but we missed what would have been an unpleasant event.
Sometimes illnesses and emergencies will come up-and for those who believe in God or a higher being- they may be unpleasant, but prevent you from being in another time and place where something much worse could happen to you.

BWIAirport

Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:21 pm

I was in London last fall when I received notification my return flight on British Airways had been cancelled, right after I had checked in for it. I had booked the flight through a travel agency (Vayama) who booked the flight as a Finnair codeshare. BA didn't think they could help me because it wasn't booked through them, and Vayama couldn't help because I had already checked in. Finnair was confused as to why they were involved, and when I called them they just spoke to BA. Long story short, I ended up booking a 1-way ticket home and paying out-of-pocket, which wasn't very deep as a college student. If it's any consolation, my trip report of the return flight is one of my most popular all-time videos.
Next flight: November 23 BA216 IAD-LHR A388
November 24 BA814 LHR-CPH A320

SWA, UAL, DAL, AWE, ASA, TRS, DLH, CLH, AFR, BAW, EIN, AAL | E190 DC94 CRJ2 B712 B733 B737 B738 B739 B744 B752 B753 B762 B77W A319 A320 A321 A333 A343 A388 MD88

PlymSpotter

Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:18 pm

Quite a few, some very similar to your experiences.

My Nan had lots of serious health issues related to her heart, so we had a few cancellations or would have to book very late when we knew it would be OK for her to travel. Fortunately, because we have a property in Menorca, we only ever had the flight costs at risk. One time we had to cancel our IB A320/MD87 combo on LHR-BCN-MAD, and ended up travelling a few weeks later on a direct LTN-MAH with Spanair on an MD83 - quite a win really. There was also one time that she was taken very ill whilst in Menorca, and needed to be airlifted to Mallorca, and then brought back to the UK via air ambulance. My grandfather framed the receipt for that one - but it was a calculated risk as living most of the year out there in Menorca's fresh air massively extended her life.

I also had a few incidents myself, of which one particularly sticks in my mind:

Back in 2007 I was injured during what was basically a crash landing with a Yak 40 at DAM, Syria, breaking three ribs and badly tearing my ribcage. I managed to continue my trip for a bit and made it as far as AMM, but then I had to press the abort button - I was more annoyed at missing the destinations (Petra, Wadi Rum and Beirut), as the aircraft were 'only' an RJ Q400 and MEA A332. I ended up booking a last minute one way back to LHR with RJ, and scored the ultra elusive A340-200. Every cloud, as they say...

But that wasn't all. Just before I'd left for Syria, I had decided to quit University - my course was super disorganised and I wanted some time out to chose a new direction. So with time on my hands, I'd planned over a month backpacking through Africa. I was flying into JNB with KL on the F70 and 744, would meet a friend and we'd drive up into the reserves. Then I'd continue to Botswana, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Tanzania and onto Kenya using a mixture of trains, super interesting planes or frankly whatever I found to get me to the next destination. I'd then fly back NBO-KTR-CAI-AMS-BRS with Kenya Airways and KLM, including the MD-11 from CAI. Unfortunately backpacking was not compatible with a months bed rest to heal, so I had to cancel. So instead I gave my University course a second chance and ended up completing it, before then doing a MA and PGDip too. In hindsight, maybe things happen for a reason.

Dan :)
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

bluestreak

Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:14 pm

Back in 2014, I had a trip scheduled to visit New Zealand. Two days before the trip, I caught the flu, and was not able to go. I felt terrible physically, and emotionally as well since I had been planning the trip for months. But there was no way I could have made the long trip from the US.

After a few days, I was feeling better, and tried to re book the trip for the following week. I had booked Delta for the ATL-LAX trip, and they wanted an additional $900 to change my flights. I could have booked a flight on Spirit for less than half of that. Air New Zealand was much more helpful, and was willing to reschedule my trip, but some of the hotels, and tours I had reserved in New Zealand were not all available. So I scratched my plans to visit, since I was still not back to 100% health wise. I had planned to schedule the trip again for 2015, but I got married that year, and well, you know how that goes!

There is also my elusive A220 attempted trips. I have missed this plane 3 times this year. First, I had a LGA-BOS trip in April. Delta switched the flight to the E175. I rescheduled the trip for the following week, from LGA-DFW. Well that flight was cancelled because of weather in the New York area. So I decided to wait until summer, hoping for better weather. This time, DTW-DFW. It was not meant to be, again, storms hammered the DTW airport, and you guessed it, the flight was cancelled.

So I have planned it again for November, hopefully it will happen then.

Although this was not a horror story, and thankfully not due to a loss of a loved one, it was a bit disappointing. I sympathize with those who had to cancel their trips due to losing a family member, a tragedy in itself, not to mention the cancellation of a trip. But tomorrow is another day, and we press on, and the loved ones live on in our memories.
"Well, we barely made the airport, for the last plane out, as we taxied down the runway, I could hear the people shout"

acavpics
Topic Author

Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:01 pm

PlymSpotter wrote:
Quite a few, some very similar to your experiences.

My Nan had lots of serious health issues related to her heart, so we had a few cancellations or would have to book very late when we knew it would be OK for her to travel. Fortunately, because we have a property in Menorca, we only ever had the flight costs at risk. One time we had to cancel our IB A320/MD87 combo on LHR-BCN-MAD, and ended up travelling a few weeks later on a direct LTN-MAH with Spanair on an MD83 - quite a win really. There was also one time that she was taken very ill whilst in Menorca, and needed to be airlifted to Mallorca, and then brought back to the UK via air ambulance. My grandfather framed the receipt for that one - but it was a calculated risk as living most of the year out there in Menorca's fresh air massively extended her life.

I also had a few incidents myself, of which one particularly sticks in my mind:

Back in 2007 I was injured during what was basically a crash landing with a Yak 40 at DAM, Syria, breaking three ribs and badly tearing my ribcage. I managed to continue my trip for a bit and made it as far as AMM, but then I had to press the abort button - I was more annoyed at missing the destinations (Petra, Wadi Rum and Beirut), as the aircraft were 'only' an RJ Q400 and MEA A332. I ended up booking a last minute one way back to LHR with RJ, and scored the ultra elusive A340-200. Every cloud, as they say...

But that wasn't all. Just before I'd left for Syria, I had decided to quit University - my course was super disorganised and I wanted some time out to chose a new direction. So with time on my hands, I'd planned over a month backpacking through Africa. I was flying into JNB with KL on the F70 and 744, would meet a friend and we'd drive up into the reserves. Then I'd continue to Botswana, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Tanzania and onto Kenya using a mixture of trains, super interesting planes or frankly whatever I found to get me to the next destination. I'd then fly back NBO-KTR-CAI-AMS-BRS with Kenya Airways and KLM, including the MD-11 from CAI. Unfortunately backpacking was not compatible with a months bed rest to heal, so I had to cancel. So instead I gave my University course a second chance and ended up completing it, before then doing a MA and PGDip too. In hindsight, maybe things happen for a reason.

Dan :)

OH.MY.GOD. Breaking ribs while on a leisure trip is just unimaginable.

I shoudl have updated this forum earlier about the fact that AA FULLY refunded my family after we filled out a bunch of special forms on their page. Not to mention that all the hotels we booked were refundable. From what I've read about AA, I really didn't expect the refund to go through. I guess luck was on our side after all. :)

Gulfstream500

Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:54 pm

A couple of years ago my flight was cancelled, and wound up staying in an airport overnight with no hotel or compensation. The airline rebooked me on a double connection that was 16(!) hours long the next morning.
Can someone please start a wikipedia list of failed startup airlines? I am interested in seeing just how long it would be...

fbgdavidson

Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:29 pm

I cancelled a trip to Athens and Crete about three weeks out because I split with my wife. Had got a pretty decent price on BA First/Club Europe tickets IAD-LHR-ATH and return which were non-refundable so those went unused.

The kicker was I had booked the time off work so decided to fly "home" to the UK to lick wounds and spend time with family and went on the same flights that I was supposed to take, albeit not in First. I wasn't able to use those flights because obviously the remaining three segments would have been cancelled when I didn't board the LHR-ATH flight. I did look longingly through the curtain when I boarded to the vacant seat that I had reserved, and noticed at disembarkation had gone unused...
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

VSMUT

Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:37 am

fbgdavidson wrote:
I cancelled a trip to Athens and Crete about three weeks out because I split with my wife. Had got a pretty decent price on BA First/Club Europe tickets IAD-LHR-ATH and return which were non-refundable so those went unused.

The kicker was I had booked the time off work so decided to fly "home" to the UK to lick wounds and spend time with family and went on the same flights that I was supposed to take, albeit not in First. I wasn't able to use those flights because obviously the remaining three segments would have been cancelled when I didn't board the LHR-ATH flight. I did look longingly through the curtain when I boarded to the vacant seat that I had reserved, and noticed at disembarkation had gone unused...

Wouldn't it have been cheaper to fly all the way to Athens and then get a low-cost flight back to the UK?

aerorobnz

Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:32 am

I haven't had to cancel travel before I go yet, but I have had a few trips where I had to alter a fair bit en route, including one trip where I was stuck on Svalbard, and then subsequently also had a SIN-SYD flight cancelled which forced overnight stops in SIN and then SYD and thus delayed me getting home by 48h and also my return to work. I also had a Whale shark dive planned on another trip, but that got cancelled because I was stuck on another tropical island in a tropical cyclone for 4 days. On one family trip I was leading to South America my dad got altitude sickness and smashed his head on a UNESCO protected rock which required 10k worth of plastic surgery and a week in hospital and a delay to the remainder of our trip On another trip to Argentina I had my card cloned and it delayed my plans to get to the Peruvian Amazon considerably as I had to make alternative arrangements which required a lot of time and orgaisation etc. It required me to be a homeless bum at the airport for 4 days and only eat every 36h or so in order to ration my remaining Argentinian cash.

Needless to say,Travel Insurance is a must for any trip, I have claimed many times more than I have spent on travel insurance. That's the good thing about traveling, It teaches you survival skills and resilience you never knew you had.
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

fbgdavidson

Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:41 pm

VSMUT wrote:
fbgdavidson wrote:

Wouldn't it have been cheaper to fly all the way to Athens and then get a low-cost flight back to the UK?

I had booked a companion fare special and was told that both parties needed to travel for it to be valid.
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

hpff

Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:18 pm

I thought this was going to be about flights getting cancelled, not having to cancel flights, but I was once unable to make it out of Southeast Asia before a typhoon hit. The airline decided to be overly cautious and didn't send out the outbound flight, even though everything would have been fine. Wasn't that bad of a storm, either, and fortunately it was a business trip!

fallap

Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:26 am

I booked a flight from Tashkent to Moscow in order to fly on Ut Air's B762. Sadly, it was cancelled :(
Ex grease monkey buried head to toe inside an F-16M
Now studying Political Science

BasilFawlty

Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:56 pm

acavpics wrote:
My family and I were supposed to go to Spain for 10 days this month, but recently my grandmother fell ill and this escalated into an issue thay gave us no option but to cancel our tickets. While I'm glad my grandmother is doing better now, I'm still heartbroken! We had spend MONTHS preparing for this trip. It would have been my first time to Europe, flying IB, and ... flying on an A380 (on BA). There is this haunting feeling in the back of my head that any future trip that I plan could just blow up in my face like this becuase of something that I had no control over

With all due respect but why didn’t you go anyway? There’s not much you can do anyway, let the qualified people in the hospital take care of things.
'Every year donkeys and mules kill more people than plane crashes'

WildcatYXU

Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:29 pm

I had to give up a trip to Cuba in 2016. I was diagnosed with endocarditis a week before departure and instead of the beach I ended up in a hospital.
310, 319, 320, 321, 321N, 332, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E45, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, MD82, Saab 340, YAK40

acavpics
Topic Author

Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:23 pm

BasilFawlty wrote:
acavpics wrote:

With all due respect but why didn’t you go anyway? There’s not much you can do anyway, let the qualified people in the hospital take care of things.

Logically speaking, my family and I could have gone. However, my father was just too emotionally drained to go on vacation. I know, its not his (or anyone's) fault. It was just a bit aggravating that our plans got messed up because of something completely out of my control. But, I've gotten over it and moved on.

Wednesdayite

Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:24 am

My best friend was due to get married in April of next year.

My flights were all booked. He died last week.

The cancellation of the flights means absolutely nothing in comparison to what we’ve lost.
A318/19/20/21/30/40. B717/27/37/47/57/67/77/87. CRJ2/7. ERJ145/175/190. FKR50. IL62. MD11/82/83/88. TU154.
AA AC AF AI AR AS AT AV AZ BA BW BY CO DA DL F9 FR JJ KL LH MA NW NZ OS RG SU TK U2 UA US VS WN