Max Q
Topic Author

Truly terrible Airlines of the past and present

Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:44 am

The very interesting replies to the Tower Air thread had me wondering about other, equally or almost as bad operators.

I can’t think of any contemporary ones, at least in the US (Allegiant was close for a while) although I’m sure there’s some around the world.

I think People Express was almost as bad as Tower, there was an airline that flew DC9’s based out of PIE called Sunjet, they were pretty bad

Looking for other ‘epically bad’ operators?!
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

Guns and the love of them by a loud minority are a malignant and deadly cancer inflicted on American society

9w748capt

Re: Truly terrible Airlines of the past and present

Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:46 am

AA

Concierge

Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:09 am

I fly IND-DCA frequently and have to say that the AA regional operation at 35X is a disgrace. The jammed bus ride to an Air Wisconsin CRJ will make one count the days to retirement over and over again. Yes, there's a new terminal on the way, but it's on a Washington Airports schedule. Bitter? Yes! It's been thirty years of DCA blues!

LH658

Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:10 am

PIA and Air India. Back in the day they were known, now not so much.

SCFlyer

Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:12 am

GA and PR had shocking reputations back in the 1990s.
Both may have improved since, but the legacy of those years still leave a sour taste in some travellers minds.

VSMUT

Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:32 am

Sabena, Olympic and Alitalia. Epic examples of why airlines needed to be privatized.

stasisLAX

Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:33 am

OMG, Skybus! I had a flight from hell to GSO from BUR. Luggage lost, reservations lost, gate agents lost, technology snafus galore. Then, onboard, catering was insufficient, plane wasn't cleaned... no wonder that Skybus only lasted in business for a year. Cheap fares, horrendously unorganized.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

FlyingElvii

Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:45 am

#1 Skybus
#2 Air Illinois
#3 Carnival

FlyingElvii

Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:46 am

VSMUT wrote:
Sabena, Olympic and Alitalia. Epic examples of why airlines needed to be privatized.

Sabina was good, but fell apart when the colonies did.

FlyingElvii

Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:50 am

Max Q wrote:
The very interesting replies to the Tower Air thread had me wondering about other, equally or almost as bad operators.

I can’t think of any contemporary ones, at least in the US (Allegiant was close for a while) although I’m sure there’s some around the world.

I think People Express was almost as bad as Tower, there was an airline that flew DC9’s based out of PIE called Sunjet, they were pretty bad

PeoplExpress was an excellent airline, they just outgrew their abilities. The 747’s, and the bad press that came from canceling International trips really hurt them. (Keep in mind, that a LOT of that bad press was being written by the communications and PR departments of Pan Am and American Airlines, that had much bigger ad budgets).

ClipperYankee

Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:52 am

I was thinking about that after reading the Tower thread. I nominate Capitol Air as I spent many an hour waiting for their always delayed DC-8s on the JFK-SJU route. No other airline screwed up my travel as much as they did.
707/717/727/737-100,200,300,400,500,700,800/747-200,300,400/757-200,300/767-300,400
772/788&9/DC3/DC6/DC8/DC9/DC10/MD80s/L1011/A300/A319,320,321/A332&3/A343/A359/A388/
BAE146/ATP/ATR42/DHC2,3,7,8/S340B/CRJ200,700,900/E140,145,175,190/F70,100/B1900

Cilaos

Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:10 am

In Spain, i remember an airline called Air Madrid.
They used to operate flights to Latin America and Caribean but their schedule was very unreliable.
Almost every day, you could see riots at airports because of stranded passengers.
They disappeared in 2006.

luckyone

Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:21 am

LIAT. Terrible timeliness— ridiculously beyond island time. Luggage delays. Surly staff.

Frontier. I’ve only had one flight with them but it made me actively avoid them for future flights. The flight was delayed but their app was incredibly slow to show the delay—as in the delay only registered an hour AFTER it was announced at the gate. I won’t even get into the unpleasantness of the fare unbundling. The clientele at the gate boarding reminded me of the Southwest cattle calls of yore. And the final straw was the seat: absolutely no padding which left me with little feeling in my backside after about 90 minutes. Flight crew disinterested and mostly invisible during the flight.

Cilaos

Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:57 am

VSMUT wrote:

I remember passengers calling Sabena: Such A Bad Experience Never Again.

We don't hear such thinkgs now that SN Brussels operates.

juliuswong

Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:18 am

Cilaos wrote:
They used to operate flights to Latin America and Caribean but their schedule was very unreliable.
Almost every day, you could see riots at airports because of stranded passengers.

It was later replaced by Air Plus Comet in 2007, rebranded as Air Comet, they took in Air Madrid old airplane, also with little or no services. Even if there was any, it was bad services with rude staff on on ground and in the air. Grupo Marsans later decided to revamp the airline by buying new aircraft and overhauled their brand, but it came too little too late, collapsed in 2009. Two years of horrors.
- Life is a journey, travel it well -

VSMUT

Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:08 am

Cilaos wrote:
We don't hear such thinkgs now that SN Brussels operates.

Only because Lufthansa took a chainsaw to it. IMHO, they are okay at best and often below average. They feel more like Eurowings in different branding. The really nasty CityJet/Air Nostrum ex-SAS CRJs really don't help, nor do the rude CityJet staff. There are also the really dirty Czech Airlines A319s.

cedarjet

Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:30 am

luckyone wrote:
LIAT. Terrible timeliness— ridiculously beyond island time. Luggage delays. Surly staff.

LIAT: leaves island any time; luggage in another town.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

Max Q
Topic Author

Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:40 am

FlyingElvii wrote:
Max Q wrote:

PeoplExpress was an excellent airline, they just outgrew their abilities. The 747’s, and the bad press that came from canceling International trips really hurt them. (Keep in mind, that a LOT of that bad press was being written by the communications and PR departments of Pan Am and American Airlines, that had much bigger ad budgets).

I just can’t agree, I flew with a lot of ex PE
guys and they’d be the first to tell you what
a crummy operator they were

Going back to Sunjet, I rode them to EWR
one day on an ancient DC 9

It was the middle of summer in Florida and
roasting inside the aircraft

I had to sit on the jumpseat that day, I remember asking the Captain about the lack of AC, his response ‘yeah we don’t have an APU’

I said ‘well that’s a pain’ his response was
‘you don’t understand, the APU was removed from the aircraft weeks ago and sold to help keep us afloat’

It had been replaced with ballast, they were so cheap there was no soap in the restrooms

They went out of business when one of their geriatric fleet suffered an engine failure, the cost of replacing one engine was too much..
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

Guns and the love of them by a loud minority are a malignant and deadly cancer inflicted on American society

MileHFL400

Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:23 am

Air India, repeated safety concerns
Thanks and best Regards
AA

TheEuphorian

Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:47 am

A good amount of Indonesian airlines are known for being terrible, like Garuda and Adam Air during the 2000s with its horrendous safety record.

jumpjets

Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:21 am

Going back in time to the late 1980s two airlines that stick in my mind as being attrocious, from a flight experience and customer service point of view were Aeroflot and Aviaco.

Aviaco of course disappeared and Aeroflot seems to have a decent reputation these days.

Thibault973

Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:35 am

Surinam Airways, hands down. It's in its own category. While it has dramatically improved the last few years it used to be soooooo bad. You'd be lucky if it was only late, and not canceled altogether. Airplanes were (are ?) in horrible condition with seats falling appart and the catering was beyond this world (lettuce sandwich anyone ?).

Thibault973

Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:45 am

juliuswong wrote:
Cilaos wrote:

It was later replaced by Air Plus Comet in 2007, rebranded as Air Comet, they took in Air Madrid old airplane, also with little or no services. Even if there was any, it was bad services with rude staff on on ground and in the air. Grupo Marsans later decided to revamp the airline by buying new aircraft and overhauled their brand, but it came too little too late, collapsed in 2009. Two years of horrors.

It wasn't replaced by Air Comet. Air Madrid started in 2003 when Air Plus Comet was operating since 1996 as part of Grupo Marsan, then owner of Aerolineas Argentinas, Spanair and Spanair Link. Grupo Marsan took over parts of Air Madrid when it folded and renamed Air Plus Comet into Air Comet. While their Long haul ops were a disaster, they weren't that bad on short haul. Flew them a couple of times and never had a pbm.

Gulfstream500

Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:52 am

Of the past:

US air

Of the present:

American, especially given their new 30 inch seats. Like spirit, but with higher fares.
Can someone please start a wikipedia list of failed startup airlines? I am interested in seeing just how long it would be...

LH506

Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:53 pm

Spantax a European Airline in the 70‘s/80‘s had a terrible reputation. I think they used DC9s
NOT FLOWN: 707 736 77L 788 78J 300B2 300B4 345 359 35J RJ70/146-100 F27 ATR72 CRJ1/4/10 E120/135/40 Q1/2/3 M87

Insertnamehere

Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:02 pm

Air India but I have issues with the whole Indian aviation sector I could write about in regards to needless id checks (I got my boarding pass checked at the gate desk, before getting to the Jetway, at the end of the Jetway, and on board the aircraft). as operations are constantly delays and piss poor customer service, and crews indifferent (ordered a fruit plate for my meal online and was not loaded for either of my two flights).

Aeroflot is hit and miss but overall uncomfortable. This April did KHV-SVO-JFK in Premium Economy. KHV-SVO was superb. Mostly empty cabin with friendly crew and good flight with crew who had a perfect command of English. SVO-JFK flight was filled with rude crew and slightly racist (refused to give a second water bottle to an Indian passenger next to me but gave extras to Russian passengers) in which refused to take meal orders in English despite the fact speaking fluent English. Premium Economy seats were acceptable but sliding down instead of back for recline is massively uncomfortable.

debonair

Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:35 pm

juliuswong wrote:
Cilaos wrote:

But the saga continues... The ex Air Madrid manager Julio Miguel Martínez Sola founded Plus Ultra Líneas Aeréas S.A.! New name, same s**t!

DocLightning

Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:08 pm

There were a lot of very relieved people in Detroit when DL bought NW. NW had a history of poor financial performance over the years, terrible employee relations, and unhappy customers. It wasn't just the lack of IFE on any domestic service or the ancient fleet. It was delayed flights, lost baggage, horrible communication with customers, and general unreliability. From 1996 to 2005, I had a major issue on 1/3 of my flights with NW. They forgot to board 2/3 of a DC-10's luggage on a LGW-DTW flight and had no idea that they had made this error when we arrived at DTW. On the outbound flight, the check-in line was over three hours long and I made it to my flight with less than one minute to spare. They forgot to offload baggage from an entire 757 on a SFO-DTW flight and yelled and screamed at passengers for not standing in a perfectly straight line at the baggage office. That was a three hour wait for baggage. They canceled a residency interview for me after we sat on the aircraft at the gate for over four hours. And then there was the 1998 strike that had me scrambling for an alternative ride back to college. There was also the time when they misspelled my name on a ticket (this was back in the day when many tickets were booked by phone) and they refused to correct the error unless I purchased a new ticket at twice the price. And then there was the time they canceled a weekend getaway for my family with an 18 hour flight delay. My dad had to go to small claims court to get a refund for the "trip in vain."

It got to a point where I simply refused to fly with them, but my mom had a NW Visa and so I did have to sometimes for residency interviews because I was a poor medical student and couldn't afford to buy all my tickets in cash.

There's an airline that I won't miss. But their "Bowling Shoe" color scheme was really great.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

luckyone

Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:17 pm

LH506 wrote:
Spantax a European Airline in the 70‘s/80‘s had a terrible reputation. I think they used DC9s

Possibly. They definitely used CV-990s. When I first became interested in aviation as a kid I collected a lot of books. One of them is about the Convair jets and Spantax featured in it with several pages dedicated to their aircraft. It’s in a box somewhere in my parents storage unit following several moves. At some point I’ll have to go search for that box and send it to my house. A lot of memories in that box!

luckyone

Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:19 pm

cedarjet wrote:
luckyone wrote:

LIAT: leaves island any time; luggage in another town.

Or Lucky It Arrived Today

mattyfitzg

Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:52 pm

Remember flying Court Line as a youngster, in flight meals were stuffed into special compartments in the seatback with dry ice.
The early days of charter flights, crammed into BAC 111-500, knees touching chest, everybody trying to pick the lock for the inbound meal compartment because they were still hungry. A woeful experience.

But more recently, I think Globespan has to be up there with one of the worst carriers i've flown on.
Delayed for a little over 12 hours both ways, on a 737-800 flying across the Atlantic, on the way out requiring 2 fuel stops, thats right TWO fuel stops.
Crew wanted us to almost feel sorry for them, despite them charging for water the entirety of the delay.

And some years later it was copied again by Primera flying to New York with a stop in iceland on an ancient 737, only difference being the flight was on time, the tech stop was very short and the crew were great.

juliuswong

Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:02 pm

Thibault973 wrote:
juliuswong wrote:
Cilaos wrote:

It wasn't replaced by Air Comet. Air Madrid started in 2003 when Air Plus Comet was operating since 1996 as part of Grupo Marsan, then owner of Aerolineas Argentinas, Spanair and Spanair Link. Grupo Marsan took over parts of Air Madrid when it folded and renamed Air Plus Comet into Air Comet. While their Long haul ops were a disaster, they weren't that bad on short haul. Flew them a couple of times and never had a pbm.

Sorry, I wasn't specific. I was meant to say Air Madrid long haul route was taken over by Air Plus Comet, later renamed at Air Comet. Thanks for the correction though.
- Life is a journey, travel it well -

teachpdx

Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:50 pm

No Lion Air mentions yet? I'll throw their name into the ring on this one.
Up Next: DL PDX-ATL-TPA | DL TPA-SLC-PDX | DI SEA-LGW | AF CDG-PRG | OK PRG-CPH | D8 CPH-LGW | DI LGW-SEA

PatrickZ80

Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:22 pm

FlyingElvii wrote:
VSMUT wrote:

That wasn't the reason for it, most of their destinations had nothing to do with Belgium anyway. But in Africa, the name Sabena actually meant something. In a way, it still does even though they're not called Sabena anymore but any travel agent will know what you mean when you name Sabena.

The reason they went bankrupt were their far too high costs. For example, they had hundreds of privileged people on their payroll who got paid large sums of money just for having their name connected to the Sabena brand. They didn't actually work for the airline, only in name they did. Also their staff was, compared to today, highly overpaid. This was all possible because the market was protected. Fares were high, but that was how it was in those days. What lead to their demise was the liberation of the market. Without protection, they weren't able to sustain their high fares but they were also not able to bring their costs down. In such a situation, bankruptcy was the only possible outcome. It was the only way to get rid of the highly overpaid staff, to get rid of the hundreds of people who kept demanding money from the airline for doing absolutely nothing.

By the way, watch how you spell the name of the airline. It's Sabena, not Sabina.

usdcaguy

Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:08 pm

I never cared much for the old Cyprus Airways. They had smoky flights with dour flight attendants and uncomfortable seating. These days, Arkia is pretty mediocre. Old planes and lackluster service. United Airlines is also pretty lame with insufficiently trained and empowered staff, an inability to take a free carry-on with you and higher-than-average pricing.

American 767

Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:23 pm

LH506 wrote:

DC-8s, DC-10s and CV-990s also.
Ben Soriano

filipinoavgeek

Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:23 pm

Never had the chance to fly them, but Asian Spirit (the predecessor to Zest Air and later AirAsia Zest which has since merged with Philippines Air Asia) had a motley fleet of small and medium-sized regional planes, and the common joke was that if you fly with them you would "fly as an Asian and land as a Spirit".

I see that someone already mentioned Adam Air from Indonesia, with their terrible safety record, but it wasn't the only Indonesian carrier with such a reputation sadly.

AtomicGarden

Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:26 am

LH506 wrote:

What a terrible name for an airline, in particular a Spanish one (it sounds too close to 'espantoso/a', like frightening, or hideous),
You killed a black astronaut, Cyril! That's like killing a unicorn!

conaly

Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:35 am

LH506 wrote:

Spantax had a horrible reputation especially in Germany. I haven't witnessed any of that directly, but I know some older guys – even some, that have absolutely no interest in aviation – who up to this date fear this horrible airline. Funny side note: they are also pretty infamous for being the only commercial airline ever landing in Hamburg Finkenwerder (the Airbus airport today). The president and founder of Spantax did fly the CV-990 by himself to prove the trustworthiness of Spantax. He was cleared to land in Fuhlsbüttel (the commercial airport), but somehow confused the runways and landed on the runway of Finkenwerder, which was actually much too short for a plane this size. That gave them the nickname "Finkenwerder Airlines".

AtomicGarden wrote:
What a terrible name for an airline, in particular a Spanish one (it sounds too close to 'espantoso/a', like frightening, or hideous),

Short for "Spanish Air Taxi".

Sky Airlines, a former Turkish charter airline, was absolutely horrible. Had one flight with them, when we have been rebooked from MNG Airlines AYT-LEJ. Shitty old plane, bad service and the pilots apparently haven't been training landings for a while, as I could see the centerline of the runway from the window while touching down, which means we must have touched down on the runway edge.
Airports 2019: ADB, ALG, AMD, ATL, BOS, CTS, DEL, DTW, DUS, EWR, FRA, HND, IST, JFK, MUC, NUE, PHL, SIN, STN, YYZ
Planned 2019: BOG, CDG, FRA, FUK, HIJ, HND, MUC, NGO, NUE, OKA, ZRH

n7371f

Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:46 am

Hmmm...sounds like a flight on AA if you ask me.

luckyone wrote:

Frontier. I’ve only had one flight with them but it made me actively avoid them for future flights. The flight was delayed but their app was incredibly slow to show the delay—as in the delay only registered an hour AFTER it was announced at the gate. I won’t even get into the unpleasantness of the fare unbundling. The clientele at the gate boarding reminded me of the Southwest cattle calls of yore. And the final straw was the seat: absolutely no padding which left me with little feeling in my backside after about 90 minutes. Flight crew disinterested and mostly invisible during the flight.

KBUF

Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:02 am

ValuJet. A fleet of old, second-hand planes and a shoddy safety record did not make for the best reputation.
"Starting today, the Buffalo Sabres' reason for existence will be to win a Stanley Cup."-Terry Pegula, February 22, 2011

directorguy

Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:55 am

I'm on several travel groups on FB where people share travel experiences and two airlines that stand out are Tunisair and RAM Royal Air Maroc. A lot of people go to Tunisia and Morocco on holiday, and increasingly these airlines carry a lot of transit passengers bound for Southern Europe/Mediterranean cities.
Delays, missed connections, rude staff, lost stolen or damaged bags, and mediocre transit experiences at TUN or CMN are very common complaints. Two airlines I would never fly.

dangerhere

Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:56 am

Vueling all the way

ricport

Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:36 pm

In the U.S., it's Allegheny/USAir/U.S. Airways, HANDS DOWN! Truly a third-world airline for a first-world country. If you lived in the Great Lakes states in the 70s & 80s, they were basically the only option to the east coast. No FF program (at that time, while every other airline had one), junky planes, a PIT terminal that made a gas station men's room look like Shangri-La, and staff that were the absolute essence of the words "surly" and "uncaring." No matter what they called themselves, they'll always be Agony Airlines to me. After taking American Eagle flights from/to DCA recently where the plane was like a flying oven (both ways!), I am sad to see the rotting, fetid ghosts of this horrid carrier are still alive & plaguing AA. They should salt the earth where anything from this carrier remains and hire a voodoo priestess to get rid of their evil spirits and a Catholic priest to perform an exorcism.

lesfalls

Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:05 pm

debonair wrote:
juliuswong wrote:
Cilaos wrote:

But the saga continues... The ex Air Madrid manager Julio Miguel Martínez Sola founded Plus Ultra Líneas Aeréas S.A.! New name, same s**t!

Indeed it seems to be very much the case that this airline is still failing when it comes to good customer service:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserRev ... World.html
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen mehr.

FlyingElvii

Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:25 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
FlyingElvii wrote:
VSMUT wrote:

That wasn't the reason for it, most of their destinations had nothing to do with Belgium anyway. But in Africa, the name Sabena actually meant something. In a way, it still does even though they're not called Sabena anymore but any travel agent will know what you mean when you name Sabena.

The reason they went bankrupt were their far too high costs. For example, they had hundreds of privileged people on their payroll who got paid large sums of money just for having their name connected to the Sabena brand. They didn't actually work for the airline, only in name they did. Also their staff was, compared to today, highly overpaid. This was all possible because the market was protected. Fares were high, but that was how it was in those days. What lead to their demise was the liberation of the market. Without protection, they weren't able to sustain their high fares but they were also not able to bring their costs down. In such a situation, bankruptcy was the only possible outcome. It was the only way to get rid of the highly overpaid staff, to get rid of the hundreds of people who kept demanding money from the airline for doing absolutely nothing.

By the way, watch how you spell the name of the airline. It's Sabena, not Sabina.

autocorrected spelling

leftcoast8

Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:41 pm

Besides exceptional circumstances like Air Koyro, Air Zimbabwe, etc., I think PIA (Pakistan International Airlines) has to be near the top of the list.

Ironically, PIA was key to Emirates' initial success. They provided pilot training and two wet-leased aircraft (an A300B4 and 737-400), and Pakistan was EK's first major market (the first ever Emirates flight was DXB-KHI on 10/1/1985). But Emirates had lots of money to spend, as it was bankrolled by the ruler of Dubai, Sheikh Rashid. It used this money to invest in soft product. Pakistan was an extremely poor, corrupt state, and PIA just couldn't compete.

bergkampsticket

Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:26 pm

Flybe take some beating for being dire.

debonair

Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:23 pm

@CONALY
Last year a Vueling pilot tried to land at XFW on approach into HAM... Must have been the grandson of the Spantax Captain.... :duck:

conaly

Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:35 am

debonair wrote:
@CONALY
Last year a Vueling pilot tried to land at XFW on approach into HAM... Must have been the grandson of the Spantax Captain.... :duck:

Oh my... that could have ended much worse: http://avherald.com/h?article=4b875b2b&opt=0 Good thing ATC was attentive.
Airports 2019: ADB, ALG, AMD, ATL, BOS, CTS, DEL, DTW, DUS, EWR, FRA, HND, IST, JFK, MUC, NUE, PHL, SIN, STN, YYZ
Planned 2019: BOG, CDG, FRA, FUK, HIJ, HND, MUC, NGO, NUE, OKA, ZRH