Yflyer
Topic Author

What to do in the event of a strike?

Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:32 pm

I have a trip planned to Greece in late August and early September. I'm flying on AA/BA connecting through LHR, as it happens right around the time certain Heathrow workers and possibly BA pilots might possibly strike. I am being cautiously optimistic that the dispute will be resolved and a strike averted before my trip, but in the event that there is a strike, what should I do? I do, thankfully, have trip insurance that will cover me in the event that my trip gets canceled or interrupted due to a strike (I just double checked my policy to be sure). What exactly are my rights in the event that my flights get canceled due to a strike?

My tickets were all issued by BA, and all the AA operated flights have BA codeshare flight numbers, if that matters. The tickets were purchased through a third party travel agent, which I know might complicate things a bit.

My actually flights are:
SMF-DFW and DFW-LHR, operated by AA, Aug. 24-25.
LHR-ATH operated by BA, Aug. 25.

JRT-LHR and LHR-DFW operated by BA, Sept. 8-9 (with an overnight layover between the two).
DFW-SMF operated by AA Sept. 9.

ricport

Re: What to do in the event of a strike?

Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:26 pm

Smart move getting trip insurance. Did you ask your insurer what your options were in terms of being rebooked, or will they just issue a refund? If the latter, that may not do you much good, as a last-minute ticket to ATH is going to be very pricey. I couldn't find much on whether or not AA/BA would interline affected pax, but at the minimum, you may want to research some alternatives on other carriers to keep in your back pocket, should that actually be an option. Here's a link w/some pretty good info: https://thepointsguy.com/news/flight-ca ... ng-strike/ Good luck!

debonair

Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:30 am

Yflyer wrote:
My actually flights are:
SMF-DFW and DFW-LHR, operated by AA, Aug. 24-25.
LHR-ATH operated by BA, Aug. 25.

The walkout on 23 and 24 August is still scheduled to go ahead - it might have a knock-on effect on operations on August 25th (as the a/c might not be back at base)....

Under current EU-law BA will be in charge to arrange transport to your final destination, however, as this is a legal strike, no compensation! Also, your entitled for accommodation if you are rescheduled for the next day - but due to the lack of hotels you might end up on the airport floor...

I would get in touch with BA asap and ask politely, to avoid the expected LHR chaos, if they would be willing to change your itinerary to a non-stop US-Athen flight - like AA758 PHL-ATH, AA160 ORD-ATH or alternatively AA156 DFW-MAD onto IB3282 MAD-ATH.

Good luck!

dangerhere

Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:28 pm

Might it be worth to see if you can rebook with Aer Lingus (also part of IAG group) to Athens, thus avoiding Heathrow completely?

UnMAXed

Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:43 pm

I would also suggest that the best course of action is to try to change your itinerary to a direct flight to Greece with AA either through ORD or PHL.
If not possible or convenient try to go through MAD or DUB with the other One World partners.
The risk of disruption lasting long after the strike has officially ended is very real due to aircraft positioning.
Wishing you the best.

Yflyer
Topic Author

Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:03 pm

So as you all know, the walkout on the 23rd and 24th didn't happen. But the day before I left the BA pilots announced their strike and BA canceled my return flight! I actually ended up leaving on my vacation without exactly knowing how I was getting home, which as you might imagine was rather stressful. But it all worked out in the end. I called the travel agency I booked through from the airport before left Saturday morning and the promised to find me new flights by Monday. And true to their word first thing Monday morning I had an email from them with a new itinerary, LHR-ORD-SMF on AA (My JTR-LHR flight on BA on the 8th still operated).

One final loose end -- I paid BA for a seat assignment on LHR-DFW which I obviously didn't use. I suppose I should ask them for a refund.