ryanrap1
Topic Author

Marriott in Mexico City

Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:33 pm

Good Afternoon All,

I am planning a trip to Mexico City in March, and I have never been. Ive heard really good things about it, and very excited to go.
I tend to stay more in line with Marriott chain, and have a question : Which Marriott location would you recommend if you want to be in a good area, close to dining, bars, easy access to attractions, and if possible in a LGBT part of the city?

AM744

Re: Marriott in Mexico City

Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:11 pm

I'd say Reforma Avenue meets your criteria. There's a Marriot in a pretty centric location.
Maybe this one.
https://www.hotels.com/ho151307/mexico- ... os=HCOM_US

MaverickM11

Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:56 pm

The Sheraton Maria Isabel is practically across the street from the Zona Rosa. She's a lil dated but it's a decent hotel--it's just kinda out of the way for anything *but* the Zona Rosa and a bunch of offices.
E pur si muove -Galileo

IAHWorldflyer

Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:47 pm

I travel to MEX often. The Marriott on Reforma is a nice new-ish property that is closer to a lot of tourist sights. It would also be walking distance at night from the gay bars on Amberes. It would be safe to walk, even later at night. The JW Marriott is on the edge of Polanco, which is a much nicer neighborhood, and is walking distance to a huge number of options for cafes, restaurants, shopping, etc. I know the price is higher, but it's worth it all things considered. A few years back, pickpockets were targeting the Sheraton Maria Isabella, knowing lots of US travelers stayed there. They would follow tourists leaving the hotel and jump them a couple blocks away. Not sure if that's been cleaned up, but it's wise to always be cautious, and not carry large amounts of cash with you on the street. Other than the gay bars on Amberes, much of the Zona Rosa is a bit sleazy these days. Polanco and Condensa are the trendy areas.Oh, and use Uber. Very reliable, and you won't get cheated.

LAXintl

Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:28 pm

I do some business in Mexico City and prefer the more upscale and somewhat hip Polanco area. Usually, stay at the Hyatt Regency, but its next door to JW Marriott and W Hotel.

While there are lots of places to eat and shop, the area is definitely quieter with lots of green space, and not the traffic zoo the areas along the Reforma or historic center.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

9w748capt

Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:09 pm

I'm sure there's a FT master thread on Mexico City hotels which would probably be useful.

stl07

Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:58 am

zona rosa is the LGBT center of the city BUT if that isn't as important to you (you can always uber/metro to it, granted it would not beat staying there) then I would recommend Condesa DF, a Marriott hotel in an upscale yet authentic/lively/walkable part of the city. Polanco is very upscale and a nice area (which is why business travelers like it), but it obviously suffers from "Americanization" due to that. Honestly, though, it's a dealer's choice and you will have a great time no matter where you stay.
Have fun
Interesting how every thread is spammed with "bring back paid membership, there are too many spammers"

mercure1

Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:54 pm

If you want to be in a hectic area then along Reforma or the historic central areas are places to be. If you want a bit more calm in a hectic city then Polanco will do well. Yes as others mentioned Polanco is definitely the higher class area of town and result will have the shops, restaurants and entertainment to go along, but it's easy and safe to explore at all hours.
mercure f-wtcc